Halo 5 - One Year Later

Please note that this is my opinion. I created this thread to have a calm discussion about Halo 5. If you feel as if I’m missing something or see an inconstancy in the post or just simply want to add to the conversation, please reply down below. Look forward to hearing your take on Halo 5 a year later!

Halo 5 is probably the most controversial Halo. From its gameplay, to microtransactions, and to its campaign. On October 27, 2016, Halo 5 celebrated its one year anniversary and I wanted to review the game one year later. I will go in depth on nearly everything that the game has to offer and review those things that have been added post launch

Campaign:
Over one year later and the campaign has one major addition. To be honest I wasn’t expecting any post launch content from Campaign so I don’t have with Campaign post launch (Despite its story). Campaign score attack was added and it flopped hard. To me and many of my friends who play Halo 5, Score attack was only used to get the achievements and that’s it. I don’t know the general consensus on Score Attack but all I can pull out of it is that it was a dud. Outside of Score Attack, the only thing that was tweaked was the difficulty of the AI and the difficulty settings (Heroic, Legendary, etc) which affected Warzone as well. These changes to me were barely noticeable and doesn’t impact the experience of the campaign. Outside of those two things, the campaign remains the worse in the series. With its boring dialogue, confusing plot (for those who don’t delve into the EU), questionable villain, and the level design makes this the worse campaign in a Halo game.

TLDR:
Score Attack is a dud and the campaign is the worse in the series IMO

Arena:
A year later and 343 has done some good things to Arena, some bad things, and things they have yet to address and/or do. In one year, 343 has added a total of 5 permanent (?, I’ll get into this later) playlist. Post launch gamemodes like BTB, Infection, and Grifball were added among others. Despite this, I still question why are there few gamemodes compared to previous Halo’s. A game is suppose to evolve with each iteration. How come a year later we don’t have doubled the gamemodes of game that came out 9 years ago? Where are the gamemodes that people have been asking for since the beta? Why did it take so long to give us gamemodes that were in the previous Halo’s DAY ONE? People always say why do you think you’re entitled to more gamemodes or they are giving it for free so why are you complaining. Well I’m sorry that I expect to have at least the same amount of content as the previous game in the franchise for my $60 purchase (well for me the $99 Waste of money Limited Edition)

Earlier in this section I mentioned permanent playlist. I put a question mark next to it because of the constant additon and removal of playlists. I guess these playlist will be permanent because they haven’t been taken out but its hard to believe that some of them will stay permanent due to the way the playlist are being handled. Playlists are getting constantly adjusted, taken out, replaced, added for a limited time, and some haven’t even returned (Bomb Assault). Not to mention the changes in map rotation, map refreshes, and map adjustments like weapon placement. All of these makes the Arena experience feel inconsistent.

I’m not going to spend a lot of times on the maps in Arena. They are decent, none of them stand out and there’s not one that I can’t wait to play like Haven from Halo 4 or the Pit from Halo 3. Although they are decent, this game features more maps that I hate that I would like. Everytime Riptide, Stasis, Pegasus, or Torque appear, I dashboard. When looking at all the maps in Arena, a huge chunk of them are built from the community and/or in Forge, take that as you will.

TLDR:
Arena has some improvement, but missing gamemodes and an inconsistent experience makes Arena disappointing

Warzone:
One year later and Warzone has been changed a bit. Bosses have been refreshed (Despite them being mostly reskins or Prometheans placed in Human vehicles), AI has been tweaked, and a lot of Warzone balances have been implemented. Overall, I feel like I enjoyed Warzone at launch than I do now. For some reason, every game feels either too easy or extremely sweaty, not to mention the occasional “Warzone Farming.” At launch, I felt that more matches were closer in score and overall more fun to play because It didn’t feel like I needed to sweat to have fun time. Warzone Assault still has its problems like spawning and the fact that some of these maps are not built for WZ Assault all that well, but WZ Assault has new maps that actually fit the gamemode well. Firefight returns with WZ Firefight and its by far the glitchiest (glitchy-est?) experience in the game. A video by The Act Man perfectly describes all of the glitches and structural issues with WZ Fireifight. The maps for Warzone are a little above average for me, some feel like I’m in an actual Warzone while other make me feel like I’m running for an entire minute just to be sprayed down by an AI enemy with extreme accuracy or the enemy team staying in one part of the map. Also, there are only 3 gamemodes for WZ with Turbo being absent for some time now.

TLDR:
Warzone has changed. Remains the most fun part about the game besides the flop that is Warzone Firefight.

Forge:
Simply the best iteration of forge yet. Enough said.

Theater:
The buggiest aspect of the game has to be theater. Constant crashing, loading issues, no time bar, camera issues, and more riddle theater. Again there is a video by The Act Man which links to another video that lists all the problems with theater. If I were to type all my frustrations with theater, I would literally need to make an entire thread.

Other aspects of the game:
The menus in the game are uninteresting and still contains a few bugs, like canceling matchmaking and Reqs not loading. Other problems I have with the menus are the pre game lobbies, only being able to see emblems and nothing else and the boring home screen. Seriously the game is about Chief vs Locke and this big war and you show me Infinity and a random planet. The music in the game is excellent but not better than the original trilogies. Custom Games is okay but there is a clear lack of organization while setting up custom games. The graphics are impressive despite some low res textures and texture pop in as well with 60 fps at a distance. Lack of full customization and all of being being locked behind randomized packs.

Final Verdict:
Halo 5 a year later has made a lot of changes, some for the better and some for the worse.

The Good:

• The Graphics
  • The Gameplay

The Bad:

• Lack of Gamemodes
  • Disappointing Customization
  • Inconsistent Experience in terms of matchmaking
  • The REQ System entirely (I’m saving that for another thread)

Halo 5 Launch Score: 5/10
Halo 5 One Year Later: 6/10

5/10 and you came back to play it again?

> 2533274809541057;2:
> 5/10 and you came back to play it again?

I come back for the gameplay. I’m sorry I didn’t go in depth about that. I gave it a 5/10 but I still believe that it’s the best console shooter in terms of fluidity and gameplay in the past year. The fun factor is still there for me when it comes to this game though I have taken sporadic breaks from this game like weeks and months.

I disagree that the graphics are good… Well they are but they were disappointing to me. they aren’t much better than H4 graphics really and I still say H2A graphics are better.

I don’t mind the req system for warzone. their mistake was putting every cosmetic in it and not nearly enough unlockable through gameplay and they should have included wildcard that let you select a req from time to time

> 2533274816788253;4:
> …
> …
> their mistake was putting every cosmetic in it and not nearly enough unlockable through gameplay and they should have included wildcard that let you select a req from time to time

Interesting concept. Wildcards.

Could easily work. Have them tiered and categorized the same way - examples: Rare: Customization Wildcard, Legendary: Loadout Wildcard, Common: Power Weapon Wildcard.

I good idea, IMO.

> 2533274809541057;5:
> > 2533274816788253;4:
> > …
> > …
> > their mistake was putting every cosmetic in it and not nearly enough unlockable through gameplay and they should have included wildcard that let you select a req from time to time
>
>
> Interesting concept. Wildcards.
>
> Could easily work. Have them tiered and categorized the same way - examples: Rare: Customization Wildcard, Legendary: Loadout Wildcard, Common: Power Weapon Wildcard.
>
> I good idea, IMO.

Yeah I have pitched the idea before but I guess it’s too late really. but had they had them I feel the req system would be more accepted as players have a better chance of getting that item they really want. of course still have cosmetics unlocked only through gameplay as well.

I think it improved a lot over this year, but the campaign still the same as the launch, multiplayer was good, and now is even better, I think a 6 or maybe a 7 is a fair rate for this game.