Halo 5 on MLG. Ugly, Bad, or Good?

I noticed there are quite a lot of opinions on Halo 5, and the stereotypes with MLG.

Personally I’m glad Halo will return competitively to some sense, as it apparently will be leaning towards eSports. Source on gamingbolt.com

Is Halo 5 on MLG bad or good?

Halo 5 NEEDS to be on the MLG circuit. If Halo 5 fails competitively you will see the community crumble. Hopefully the MCC is on the circuit. You should make a video on this.

I am glad that we are going back to a competitive focus. I also am glad that AAs are gone. (No matter how fun they were to screw around with I am glad they are gone.) I hope the other things like Loadouts, Perks, and Sprint go. I am excited to see what Spartan Abilities will bring to the table.

But do we seriously have complain about how things are unbalanced or uneeded because it is cool

> Halo 5 NEEDS to be on the MLG circuit. If Halo 5 fails competitively you will see the community crumble. Hopefully the MCC is on the circuit. You should make a video on this.

The community has already crumbled. This game is supposed to try and piece it back together now…Technically.

It will only gain attention, which can lead to sales of the game, and possibly a better population to keep the game’s matchmaking system healthy.

The only downside are the tryhards who claim to be good, which can be dealt with the mute button.

That’s promising talk, but we haven’t seen so much as a single frame of Halo 5 gameplay. I’ll be more comfortable when we have some solid info behind the promise of competitive play.

I have no interest in MLG, I really don’t see how/why they seem to have so much influence on what the rest of the community do. I doubt its a coincidence that when MLG left Halo with 4, I enjoyed it more

I’m really excited to have a competitive halo again!!

I like the talk of moving away from needless complexity.

Maybe a focus on fundamentals and talk of esportness might see the entire player base playing the same game. Having to use radically different settings from the main populated playlist really hurts compeditive halo IMO. No successful esport I can think of has this segregation.

It’s definitely possible. A good game is fun at all skill levels. Even esports.

> I have no interest in MLG, I really don’t see how/why they seem to have so much influence on what the rest of the community do. I doubt its a coincidence that when MLG left Halo with 4, I enjoyed it more

Probably because they make up the majority of the community? Halo has always been, for the most part, an arena shooter, which caters for competitive gamers. It’d only make sense for them to have the most influence. Also, it should be noted that the casual Halo fans also prefer the old style of Halo gameplay, as well. Its not only competitive fans.

> > I have no interest in MLG, I really don’t see how/why they seem to have so much influence on what the rest of the community do. I doubt its a coincidence that when MLG left Halo with 4, I enjoyed it more
>
> Probably because they make up the majority of the community? Halo has always been, for the most part, an arena shooter, which caters for competitive gamers. It’d only make sense for them to have the most influence. Also, it should be noted that the casual Halo fans also prefer the old style of Halo gameplay, as well. Its not only competitive fans.

I don’t mind older style gameplay, I just preferred Halo 4. If that puts me in the minority then fair enough. I just don’t get the fixation with MLG, with wanting to be like them, to cater solely for them. Maybe I just ran into those who wanted to be in MLG but weren’t good enough which would explain their attitudes.

It’s not just MLG that runs tournament, the next one scheduled for January is being done by UGC.

While MLG picking up Halo would be good, it’s not necessary.

mlg is the biggest of all them all and if they put halo back in their schedule that must mean halo is back on track!

> It’s not just MLG that runs tournament, the next one scheduled for January is being done by UGC.
>
> While MLG picking up Halo would be good, it’s not necessary.

http://www.ugcevents.com/events/halo-2-10k-anniversary#tab-7

I’ve personally attended some events with UGC, and I can say that everyone that runs the operations there are great. A lot of passion for gaming and for Halo.

Is there any reason why Halo 5 being on MLG could be potentially bad? Cuz I don’t see any.

I think the Halo community has grown more self-reliant over the yrs. We don’t need them, but it would certainly be positive if it joined the circuit. Any ample recognition for Halo is good in my book. Reach was on mlg for sometime, but halo 4 never made it right? Well it would say much if it was added back again with Guardians. MLG’s distaste in the recent halo games is frankly how I felt things were going. They are apart of our community, and it sucked to see them leave

I say si to M.L.G

Seriously, this kind of player used to be the main audience of the Halo franchise. By focusing on them would bring an optimal core gameplay because it would be more about skill and strategy (ref : Halo 2, 3) as opposed to handing over everything to the player. The latter proving to be pure mayhem, overdone and not to the Halo fan’s taste (Halo 4). It would still be an enjoyable experience for the casual audience because of how much you can tweak Halo in Custom Games/the Social playlist meaning that both sides win and you don’t get to enforce silly measures such as the “legendary” playlist which effectively divide the community.

Again, it all boils down to the Core gameplay. Halo has been known to be a competitive, arena multiplayer game. It used to be all about skill but now that things like Custom Loadouts and Personal Ordnance have cometh. The more skilled side of things ended up fading away. This catering of the casuals ended up ruining the traditional gameplay of Halo and people got bored of it because of how overdone such features are.

> Is there any reason why Halo 5 being on MLG could be potentially bad? Cuz I don’t see any.
>
> I think the Halo community has grown more self-reliant over the yrs. We don’t need them, but it would certainly be positive if it joined the circuit. Any ample recognition for Halo is good in my book. Reach was on mlg for sometime, but halo 4 never made it right? Well it would say much if it was added back again with Guardians. MLG’s distaste in the recent halo games is frankly how I felt things were going. They are apart of our community, and it sucked to see them leave

what mlg said was that if halo 4 don’t succeed (make money for them) then we won’t have in our tournaments. Nobody really thought halo 4 felt like an e sports game so it didn’t have so many fans, thats why mlg removed it

I don’t see any downsides in partnering with MLG. Fears of rampant tryhard-ism are unfounded. If CoD can have a place in MLG, then Halo definitely ought to as well.

> > > I have no interest in MLG, I really don’t see how/why they seem to have so much influence on what the rest of the community do. I doubt its a coincidence that when MLG left Halo with 4, I enjoyed it more
> >
> > Probably because they make up the majority of the community? Halo has always been, for the most part, an arena shooter, which caters for competitive gamers. It’d only make sense for them to have the most influence. Also, it should be noted that the casual Halo fans also prefer the old style of Halo gameplay, as well. Its not only competitive fans.
>
> I don’t mind older style gameplay, I just preferred Halo 4. If that puts me in the minority then fair enough. I just don’t get the fixation with MLG, with wanting to be like them, to cater solely for them. Maybe I just ran into those who wanted to be in MLG but weren’t good enough which would explain their attitudes.

It’s not a fixation, and we don’t need to “be like them”. Any and all of us can still play Halo how we want to play it. Having MLG support gives an aura of credibility to the competitiveness of Halo, which is important to a large segment of the fanbase. In that aspect, it’s like a celebrity endorsement. Regardless of what you personally think about such endorsements, they do matter. On a more tangible side, it helps foster more interaction with professional players, which will help improve gametype, weapon, and map design. Think about all the good Bravo did once he was hired by 343.

A competitive focus will be great and I actually had fun when it got down to the next kill wins and our teams are tied. I just see less of that in H4 and I miss it. :’(

(or maybe that’s because I don’t play H4 that much anymore)