Halo 5 New Car Smell (Has it worn off?)

How many of you Halo 5 players still feel like this game is fresh? I just don’t find any real replay value in it. I tried coming back not too long ago to see if it changed my initial opinions of the game, but…nope. I don’t find the multiplayer nearly as replayable as Reach or 3, I don’t find the campaign as fun or as challenging as ODST, Reach, 3, or even 4, and while Warzone is actually a lot of fun, the people that play it sort of ruin the experience half the time with the either lack of communication OR the spawn-farming, OR, the various other issues like somehow being in the game but unable to access REQs of any sort.

For me, the “new car smell” wore off within the first month. I took a few months off of Halo 5 after getting a bit into the Campaign, before coming back to it in January 2016. Then I played it quite a bit for about a year, before eventually needing another ongoing extended break.

I just can’t solo queue anymore… if I make it through 3 games, chances are that I’m playing with friends and that I’m having the most fun due to having people to socialize with.

Otherwise, it’s the same game modes, same maps, time and time again… a good number of the maps are solid, but they all provide similar experiences. Not a lot of variety in gameplay, not enough game modes… half the time the randoms on your team suck…

The game just gets old quick at this point, which is a shame because the gameplay is good… there just isn’t really a whole lot of ways to play the game, or cool, unique map designs or themes that bring about many fresh gameplay scenarios… like where are the man-cannons in Arena maps and stuff? Some maps could have some high-flying gameplay, while others may have a lot of areas where you can fall off… where advanced movement is risky… I mean there IS some of this, but many maps just feel the same and lack that little bit of extra character that old Halo maps tended to have.

> 2533274817408735;2:
> For me, the “new car smell” wore off within the first month. I took a few months off of Halo 5 after getting a bit into the Campaign, before coming back to it in January 2016. Then I played it quite a bit for about a year, before eventually needing another ongoing extended break.

> 2533274873580796;3:
> I just can’t solo queue anymore… if I make it through 3 games, chances are that I’m playing with friends and that I’m having the most fun due to having people to socialize with.
>
> Orherwise, it’s the same game modes, same maps, time and time again… a good number of the maps are solid, but they all provide similar experiences. Not a lot of variety in gameplay, not enough game modes… half the time the randoms on your team suck…
>
> The game just gets old quick at this point, which is a shame because the gameplay is good… there just isn’t really a whole lot of ways to play the game, or cool, unique map designs or themes that bring about many fresh gameplay scenarios… like where are the man-cannons in Arena maps and stuff? Some maps could have some high-flying gameplay, while others may have a lot of areas where you can fall off… where advanced movement is risky… I mean there IS some of this, but many maps just feel the same and lack that little bit of extra character that old Halo maps tended to have.

Yeah, I jumped into this hardcore for like the first month and told everyone how much better than H4 it was but it died off quickly and every time I go back to it I find more and more reasons that it feels hollow. B4c0n, your points feel well, right on point. For all it’s pretty decent gameplay it lacks variety, it lacks spice. It definitely lacks character.

If it wasn’t for the custom browser and finishing off the Achilles grind, I’d have left this game in the dust a long time ago. It’s a brilliant game that feels at this point tragically neglected. The variety that the custom browser brings is a breath of fresh air, and a lot of that stuff needs to be in multiplayer, because the multiplayer is frankly boring now, unless you’re into the same competitive… whatever for 18 months in a row.

H5 now is like that car where you open the door and it smells like something died in it. 343 needs some serious air freshener updates.

> 2533274849069111;5:
> If it wasn’t for the custom browser and finishing off the Achilles grind, I’d have left this game in the dust a long time ago. It’s a brilliant game that feels at this point tragically neglected. The variety that the custom browser brings is a breath of fresh air, and a lot of that stuff needs to be in multiplayer, because the multiplayer is frankly boring now, unless you’re into the same competitive… whatever for 18 months in a row.

Even when you’re into competitive gameplay, like myself, it wears off… same 3 modes, same (few) good, competitive maps.

I just finished soloing a few games… had some fun, but now, I’m kinda just… done. Played great last game too. A well-played 17-7 and 4 assists… and still lost. Kind of a mood crusher…

Movement mechanics that compromised a variety of other gameplay facets (vehicles, map design, weapon balance, etc.) would be my guess as to why it isn’t very replayable.

I mean there’s a heck of a lot more contributing factors than that, but I’d argue that the core loop of the game being less addictive is largely what people refer to when they say, ‘less replayable.’

> 2533274900668879;8:
> Movement mechanics that compromised a variety of other gameplay facets (vehicles, map design, weapon balance, etc.) would be my guess as to why it isn’t very replayable.
>
> I mean there’s a heck of a lot more contributing factors than that, but I’d argue that the core loop of the game being less addictive is largely what people refer to when they say, ‘less replayable.’

I disagree with that… I’d say it’s more of the fact that maps are only designed for 2 modes maximum, rather than a number of them. Imagine playing KOTH or Oddball on most of these maps.

The segmentation of maps like The Rig or Plaza, for example, make them fine for Slayer and great for Strongholds, where there are multiple capture points, but imagine a game of Crazy King, with a moving hill, and being forced to spawn across the map in a completely blocked off location… Not to mention that some hills would be highly immune to attacking pushes, as you could set up a dominating set-up covering all routes in, towards the Hill. How about Ball? Hiding out on the Sneaky Beam on The Rig? Highly exploitable position, easily defended, easy to “play” the ball…

Idk, it’s hard to really say for sure, without really trying it, but these are just some issues that I foresee… as much as it would be great to have more game modes in H5, I almost don’t even see them working out or playing well, due to the map design. It would need to be a little bit more developed and open-ended. Maybe a bit more of a traditional approach, but with the proper scaling and tweaks given the abilities/movement system. I see that being ideal…

If you like the car, you like the car. Whether it’s new or old.

No,every Warthog I call in still smells new.

Please dont get this post to serious.

To me, the smell of the “car” smells fresh to me like once or twice a week kinda like me bringing over a air-refreshener and spraying it all over the interior before sitting down.

I think its a wonderful car, but 343i ripped butt in there for sure.

I hear 343 is bringing fresh dlc weapon skins to add a new level of fun to the game.

more game types like oddball and koth, more built in/ not forged big team maps. also better playlists like if fiesta came up in skirmish instead of being a playlist, skirmish and social slayer were separated, and rumble pit was in. The game play is fun and there are enought 4v4 and FFA maps but not enough variation in game types and big team has no maps. Once again you have to go back to H3 where some playlists had close to 10 different gametypes you could play and alot of maps so it was never boring

That new car smell wore off a very long time ago for me. I tried to like it, I poured days into playing it, but the crappy servers were the final straw. I don’t mind losing to better players or teams, but I do mind losing due to bad servers and the lack of regional server selection. I went back to Titanfall, and when Titanfall 2 came out I went to that, I’m still there.

It is getting very stale some more fixes the removal of spartan charge and some new maps / game modes would be nice

> 2533274873580796;9:
> > 2533274900668879;8:
> > ----------------------
>
> I disagree with that… I’d say it’s more of the fact that maps are only designed for 2 modes maximum, rather than a number of them. Imagine playing KOTH or Oddball on most of these maps.
>
> The segmentation of maps like The Rig or Plaza, for example, make them fine for Slayer and great for Strongholds, where there are multiple capture points, but imagine a game of Crazy King, with a moving hill, and being forced to spawn across the map in a completely blocked off location… Not to mention that some hills would be highly immune to attacking pushes, as you could set up a dominating set-up covering all routes in, towards the Hill. How about Ball? Hiding out on the Sneaky Beam on The Rig? Highly exploitable position, easily defended, easy to “play” the ball…
>
> Idk, it’s hard to really say for sure, without really trying it, but these are just some issues that I foresee… as much as it would be great to have more game modes in H5, I almost don’t even see them working out or playing well, due to the map design. It would need to be a little bit more developed and open-ended. Maybe a bit more of a traditional approach, but with the proper scaling and tweaks given the abilities/movement system. I see that being ideal…

And the Map design was compromised by the Movement mechanics, because maps in Halo 5 aren’t designed around game-modes, they’re designed around the mechanics…that’s why the Maps are so homogenised, you have to account for so many elements when designing the map that you have less creative options as to what to do with said map, hence they all play relatively the same.
The Rig and Plaza are segmented because they need to appeal to this kind of gameplay (long areas to sprint through, vertical intersections to use ground pound, closed off areas to engage in combat, sound familiar?).

There’s also the fact that said mechanics somehow reduce the skill ceiling (removing the need for crouch jumping, strafing, etc) while raising the skill floor (more mechanics to learn going in), leading to a harder to learn system, that is easier to master…which is the exact opposite of what Halo has always been praised for.

Having given the game a fair shake for about 2 weeks with the Game Pass, I can safely say that every problem with gameplay is symptomatic of the mobility mechanics (besides A.I. of course, but their weapons are balanced for multiplayer so they’re just as powerful, which also explains people’s problems with Campaign and Warzone.)

At this point I can’t play the game without friends it’s just boring I’ve played it to the point that I can tell if my team will win or not just within the first wave (Warzone) the game isn’t as fun when you know what’s going to happen there’s no mystery or thrill in it anymore.

Not for me but then again I am a Halo addict and I like the competitiveness of H5. While it’s not the best one made it’s not the worse one either but I feel it’s a step in the right direction game play wise compared to H4.