Halo 5 - my favourite Halo by far, gameplay wise

Hi everyone.
I just wanted to shift some praise 343’s way and say that 9 months post launch, this is the most fun I have ever had on a Halo game.

The gameplay is so fluid and dynamic. After 9 months I am still not bored of the flow of combat and how you can chain together epic kills with spartan abilities.

343 putting in new content over the months has definitely helped keep my interest. Halo is far from dead for me and Halo 6 has SO much potential. The Spartan Abilities personally for me, are such a natural fit for Halo. I do love the old Halos, but going back, it feels too slow.

The fact I am still interested, motivated and engaged by this game 9 months after launch, is testament to 343’s good game design.

The campaign? Storyline wise it was not the best, but the gameplay was great and the locations and environments stunning. It retained that epic Halo scale the campaigns are known for.

I cannot wait for Halo 6.

They’ve really created a cohesive gameplay module/sandbox this time around and the game plays beautifully because of it… I agree.

Much better than clunky Halo 4!

> 2533274873580796;2:
> They’ve really created a cohesive gameplay module/sandbox this time around and the game plays beautifully because of it… I agree.
>
> Much better than clunky Halo 4!

Yes it feels like a natural progression of Halo 4’s gameplay.

> 2533274798100731;3:
> > 2533274873580796;2:
> > They’ve really created a cohesive gameplay module/sandbox this time around and the game plays beautifully because of it… I agree.
> >
> > Much better than clunky Halo 4!
>
>
> Yes it feels like a natural progression of Halo 4’s gameplay.

Not at all man! It feels like next-gen OG Halo… the gameplay of Halo’s 1-3, evolved.

> 2533274873580796;4:
> > 2533274798100731;3:
> > > 2533274873580796;2:
> > > They’ve really created a cohesive gameplay module/sandbox this time around and the game plays beautifully because of it… I agree.
> > >
> > > Much better than clunky Halo 4!
> >
> >
> > Yes it feels like a natural progression of Halo 4’s gameplay.
>
>
> Not at all man! It feels like next-gen OG Halo… the gameplay of Halo’s 1-3, evolved.

I guess I mean in the context of speed. Halo 4 was fast and H5 is faster. I see what you mean though

No H5 is awful gameplay wise

> 2533274798100731;5:
> > 2533274873580796;4:
> > > 2533274798100731;3:
> > > > 2533274873580796;2:
> > > > They’ve really created a cohesive gameplay module/sandbox this time around and the game plays beautifully because of it… I agree.
> > > >
> > > > Much better than clunky Halo 4!
> > >
> > >
> > > Yes it feels like a natural progression of Halo 4’s gameplay.
> >
> >
> > Not at all man! It feels like next-gen OG Halo… the gameplay of Halo’s 1-3, evolved.
>
>
> I guess I mean in the context of speed. Halo 4 was fast and H5 is faster. I see what you mean though

Honestly I’d say it’s closest to like, next-gen Halo 2. But I see what you mean now about Halo 4… in some ways I agree with you there, it’s just that we got a MUCH better game this time around!

It’s the best things about H2 and H4 combined and refined in H5…

> 2533274923675030;6:
> No H5 is awful gameplay wise

Nope… different =/= bad

couldn’t have said it better. but I wish there was more to remember from the campaign. The old incarnations worked with this and then Halo 5’s campaign appears with limited memorabilia.

H1: Driving around Halo to save marines or Escaping Halo in the last level.
H2: The intro, “To give the covenant back their bomb,” Killing the Scarab, Playing as the Arbiter.
H3: The Covenant, Halo… 'nuff said.
HWars: Controlling Red Team, Omega team, a whole army, and the cutscene “Monsters”.
H3ODST: Coastal Highway, Vidmaster Achievements, Playing as ODSTs
HReach: Long Night of Solace, Lone Wolf… 'Nuff Said.
H4: Escaping the collapsing interior of the shield world, The Mammoth ride, piloting the broadsword fighter
H5:… um…Chief kicking Locke’s -Yoink- (but it got stuck in a cutscene)… um… Jumping down a guardian to escape death? (but it was short)… no that’s it. I got bored with the rest.

343 and microsoft need to make a better game next time. It was all set up and set ups just bore me.

> 2533274873580796;4:
> > 2533274798100731;3:
> > > 2533274873580796;2:
> > > They’ve really created a cohesive gameplay module/sandbox this time around and the game plays beautifully because of it… I agree.
> > >
> > > Much better than clunky Halo 4!
> >
> >
> > Yes it feels like a natural progression of Halo 4’s gameplay.
>
>
> Not at all man! It feels like next-gen OG Halo… the gameplay of Halo’s 1-3, evolved.

so what you’re saying is that it’s now “Halo 5: Combat Evolved” XD

Were is the dislike button when you need it. I this game doesn’t feel fast at all when all people do is run and jump around the map, making finding engagements take longer as well as making engagements short , swift, and boring. Whenever I go back to other Halos I am almost always in the fight but Halo 5 you spend more time looking for the fight than participating in it. Halo 5 has one of the stalest game play I have ever seen in a Halo game. Ever engagement is pretty much predictable, weapons provide no challenge to use, abilities do nothing to combat except force 343 to build maps around it as everyone has the same abilities changing nothing, the skill gap honestly isn’t that high, there is also an abundance of people with “team death match is the only game mode” mentality making games impossible to win, there is also the over reliance on team play in this game when it comes to arena, and then the ranking/matchmaking system is broken as I don’t know what.

Halo 5 is far from a refinement, let alone an evolution. I would argue it devolved with its simplistic game play but I think people like simple game play as seen with COD so I won’t continue.

> 2533274823537944;10:
> > 2533274873580796;4:
> > > 2533274798100731;3:
> > > > 2533274873580796;2:
> > > > They’ve really created a cohesive gameplay module/sandbox this time around and the game plays beautifully because of it… I agree.
> > > >
> > > > Much better than clunky Halo 4!
> > >
> > >
> > > Yes it feels like a natural progression of Halo 4’s gameplay.
> >
> >
> > Not at all man! It feels like next-gen OG Halo… the gameplay of Halo’s 1-3, evolved.
>
>
> so what you’re saying is that it’s now “Halo 5: Combat Devolved” XD

Fixed it.

I think the dash and clamber creates 2 major problems with its gameplay:

1- It creates a quick escape mode where players who make mistakes dont get punished for making the wrong moves.
2- Limits the designs of the maps to support clamber. No more organic maps that were a staple of the franchise, everything feels fabricated and with no utility. Its there to have something to climb on.

I spent hours with Halo 5, but going back to the MCC made me realize how much brilliant the old Halo design is. Even 4 feels better.

> 2535406272231884;12:
> > 2533274823537944;10:
> > > 2533274873580796;4:
> > > > 2533274798100731;3:
> > > > > 2533274873580796;2:
> > > > > They’ve really created a cohesive gameplay module/sandbox this time around and the game plays beautifully because of it… I agree.
> > > > >
> > > > > Much better than clunky Halo 4!
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Yes it feels like a natural progression of Halo 4’s gameplay.
> > >
> > >
> > > Not at all man! It feels like next-gen OG Halo… the gameplay of Halo’s 1-3, evolved.
> >
> >
> > so what you’re saying is that it’s now “Halo 5: Combat Devolved” XD
>
>
> Fixed it.

How is it devolved? I fail to see how that applies

Every time I begin to dwell too much on Halo 5’s many problems I take a step back & remember that the previous game let you spawn with Active Camo & Plasma Pistol in your loadout. Oh yeah, and loadouts. And promethean vision. Those were dark times.

Yeah, we’re in a much, much better place now.

> 2533274873910058;13:
> I think the dash and clamber creates 2 major problems with its gameplay:
>
> 1- It creates a quick escape mode where players who make mistakes dont get punished for making the wrong moves.
> 2- Limits the designs of the maps to support clamber. No more organic maps that were a staple of the franchise, everything feels fabricated and with no utility. Its there to have something to climb on.
>
> I spent hours with Halo 5, but going back to the MCC made me realize how much brilliant the old Halo design is. Even 4 feels better.

I think both designs can be respected for various reasons.

True, definitely. Mine is just the perspective of someone who prefers the former.

Halo 5 set a solid baseline in regards to the gameplay, much better than Halo 4’s. It has problems, but 343i should stick to tweaking things rather than going for a page-one rewrite for Halo 6.

> 2533274873910058;17:
> True, definitely. Mine is just the perspective of someone who prefers the former.
>
>
> > 2533274823537944;9:
> > couldn’t have said it better. but I wish there was more to remember from the campaign. The old incarnations worked with this and then Halo 5’s campaign appears with limited memorabilia.
> >
> > H1: Driving around Halo to save marines or Escaping Halo in the last level.
> > H2: The intro, “To give the covenant back their bomb,” Killing the Scarab, Playing as the Arbiter.
> > H3: The Covenant, Halo… 'nuff said.
> > HWars: Controlling Red Team, Omega team, a whole army, and the cutscene “Monsters”.
> > H3ODST: Coastal Highway, Vidmaster Achievements, Playing as ODSTs
> > HReach: Long Night of Solace, Lone Wolf… 'Nuff Said.
> > H4: Escaping the collapsing interior of the shield world, The Mammoth ride, piloting the broadsword fighter
> > H5:… um…Chief kicking Locke’s -Yoink- (but it got stuck in a cutscene)… um… Jumping down a guardian to escape death? (but it was short)… no that’s it. I got bored with the rest.
> >
> > 343 and microsoft need to make a better game next time. It was all set up and set ups just bore me.
>
> I think to be fair, Halo 5 had a lot of memorable moments. Fighting through to the Arbiter on Sanghellios, running down the Guardian on Genesis, fighting the Kraken, piloting through the canyons in phaetons as Blue Team, storming Suniaon with the Arbiter… there are more.

> 2533274873580796;8:
> > 2533274923675030;6:
> > No H5 is awful gameplay wise
>
>
> Nope… different =/= bad

Good =/= different =/= bad. Halo 5 isn’t bad because it made changes. Halo 5 is bad because a majority of the changes are bad ones.