Halo 5 Matchmaking - State of Emergency

Halo 5 appears to be the best matchmaking released to date, but dont let your first glance fool you.

For those who have been around since Halo 2 online, im hoping you will find resonance with this thread. Halo multiplayer to me is about seeing multiple enemies on your screen, and using the current weapons at hand to their specific strengths, paired with your limited defences(obstacles), mobility(sprint or not) and awareness(call outs and RADAR) to somehow find a way to take all of these enemies out before they can take YOU out. That is the rush of halo. There were hiccups staying true to this along the way to halo 5 but now the fine lines that define halo multiplayer have blurred beyond recognition.

The most prominent aspects of Halo 5 that has ruined our experience, in my opinion, are:

-Weapons: DMR, Carbine, BR, Magnum, light rifle, AR, SMG… blah blah its all the same now. Youre gonna die or kill the other person, very quickly, whichever weapon you have. Dont waste time looking for a certain one. Nothing really has the advantage anymore. No weapon has those specific strengths if used right. No weapon will be in your hand long enough to make a difference. Grenades count too right? You bet your -Yoink- they do. I have six and before i can throw all 6 i will have restocked. You cant escape.

-Mobility: ‘Oh my god this is great,’ i first thought. Then i realized anyone, no matter where they are, can zoom their -Yoink- to any point on the map in a matter of seconds. You get one shot you find cover right? Not anymore. You WILL DIE whether you like it or not, you might as well put up your best fight, and your best grenades because everyone is coming. I AM COMING, because i have 6 grenades and i have unlimited sprint, thrusters, AND spartan charge. If i dont get you, someone else will.

-Radar: By far the worst of them all, im right behind you, literally close enough to smell you, and you wont know it till youre respawning, You get a streak with that power weapon? No, you didnt, because you literally picked it up 10 seconds ago, and i will be dropping it 10 seconds after taking it from you. Right after sneak attacking you before you can turn your 10 sensitivity -Yoink- around. There is no outplaying anyone. There is only chance.

-Time To Kill - TTK: Imagine halo 3 for a second. MMmm yyyessss, isnt it nice? Those days are gone. People like CALL OF DUTY now, so thats what you get.

-Aiming: I personally cant figure this one out, i just dont understand it. I can go from 1-10 sensitivity and i have the same problem. Its as if i cant keep my sights locked on any dome. My target is just a little to the left as they strafe, so i try to move it a little, but it doesnt make it. So i move it a little more, still doesnt make it, so i move it EVEN MORE, and then ive gone too far, its too late, my crosshair is freaking out and is a wild frenzy all over my screen. Did 343 change aiming? WHAT HAPPENED?

-Streaks: Its never been so hard to rack up a streak, ever. With everything above combined, you can barely get two kills per death. With a 4.8 arena KDA i still feel like all i do is spawn, pistola someones head, then die instantly. OVER AND OVER.

Now looking through that list… 343 hit the nail on the head. Thats just enough to sap all enjoyment from halo matchmaking. I want to play Halo 5 so bad, but i LOATHE it. I get so mad and frustrated every other game that i realize how unhappy i am. I dont want to feel like this. I dont even know what to think but… -Yoink- MY LIFE. The one game i love more than any other has been completely shamed. I will sometimes get on MP to play with friends, and i will definitely finish the campaign achievements, but otherwise there is no way all of this will ever be fixed, so im out. I wont be missed, new generations will play it and play it.

I still cant play MCC because of ‘matchmaking data’ issues that wont let me go into MP, and now i wont have another shot at playing another halo religiously for 3 more years. What a sinking feeling.

> 2533274858827953;1:
> Imagine halo 3 for a second. MMmm yyyessss, isnt it nice? Those days are gone.

Stopped reading here. Those days are not gone. Halo 3 is available on Xbox 360 to play as well as on Halo: The Master Chief Collection on the Xbox One. If you don’t like Halo 5: Guardians, don’t play it but please don’t act like you can’t play the previous Halo games anymore. Jesus.

If you don’t like this game, don’t bother getting your hopes up for Halo 6, because it will likely be more of the same. (I love H5 btw)

> 2533274880770006;4:
> I completely agree, its very frustrating. I miss the old days.

The old days are not gone. You can play all the older Halo games on the Xbox One. It’s called Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

I just mean the general feeling of halo 3. The competitive fairness of it all. The whole shabang. No one wants to play a dead game. I like change, and i welcomed halo reach and halo 4 with open arms, because they didnt stray too far off the path. But this is not halo anymore, this is a side project or something.

> 2533274825327025;5:
> > 2533274880770006;4:
> > I completely agree, its very frustrating. I miss the old days.
>
>
> The old days are not gone. You can play all the older Halo games on the Xbox One. It’s called Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

Like i said at the bottom of my thread, i cant even play halo MCC. There has been a bug on it that wont let me enter matchmaking. Not only that but the matchmaking connect times and party issues made it unplayable for many people and it was never fixed.

I completely agree too. But I love halo so I’m sticking around for a little longer. Halo 3 was the best, there was a reason I played 3000 games of it. I just loved the competitive feel to it, so much chance for outplay even when it was 1v2. Now it’s your blowing up from random grenades and dying from the most ridiculous weapons or getting AR charged.

I actually have to force myself to play Halo 5. I know the feeling of wanting to love this game because it’s Halo, but it’s just so frustrating. I’m with you about not feeling like I have much fun. I’ve never had this much unenjoyment out of a Halo game, and it’s pretty much all because of how the game punishes you for playing (radar, bad spawns ect.)

> 2533274825327025;2:
> > 2533274858827953;1:
> > Imagine halo 3 for a second. MMmm yyyessss, isnt it nice? Those days are gone.
>
>
> Stopped reading here. Those days are not gone. Halo 3 is available on Xbox 360 to play as well as on Halo: The Master Chief Collection on the Xbox One. If you don’t like Halo 5: Guardians, don’t play it but please don’t act like you can’t play the previous Halo games anymore. Jesus.

Except hardly anyone still plays Halo 3 on the 360 version and the MCC version has completely broken hit detection. Have you tried going back to the 360 version after playing it on MCC? It’s so much harder to land shots in MCC. Go see for yourself. 343 ruined Halo 3 in MCC

> 2533274858827953;6:
> I just mean the general feeling of halo 3. The competitive fairness of it all. The whole shabang. No one wants to play a dead game. I like change, and i welcomed halo reach and halo 4 with open arms, because they didnt stray too far off the path. But this is not halo anymore, this is a side project or something.

At least there is a ranking system in this one sort of, just needs more attention. Halo 4 was so bad cause how am I supposed to stay interested in a game that isn’t competitive or has no ranking system at all. I have no people how call of duty people do it.

I cried about not having a ranking system enough when reach came out. So ive gotten past that. At least there arent jetpacks in halo 5…

> 2533274880770006;12:
> > 2533274825327025;5:
> > > 2533274880770006;4:
> > > I completely agree, its very frustrating. I miss the old days.
> >
> >
> > The old days are not gone. You can play all the older Halo games on the Xbox One. It’s called Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
>
>
> we are talking about back when it came out, when halo had a million players online. If u dont like his post you dont have to comment. Jesus.

If you guys don’t like the game, you don’t have to keep making a bunch of topics about it on the games forums. Jesus.

> -Time To Kill - TTK: Imagine halo 3 for a second. MMmm yyyessss, isnt it nice? Those days are gone. People like CALL OF DUTY now, so thats what you get.

Yes, I do love the fact it doesn’t take an hour and an entire clip to kill someone now. Some of us grew up playing Halo Ce and not slow-as-molasses games like Halo 3. Halo 5’s killtimes are nowhere near CoD. All 343I did was make the “mistake” of ensuring they are actually within reason for once in the past seven years.

To put it into perspective, the fastest weapons in Halo 5 kill in a second flat, while CoD has guns that will kill you in a tenth of that time.

> 2535452639323332;13:
> > 2533274880770006;12:
> > > 2533274825327025;5:
> > > > 2533274880770006;4:
> > > > I completely agree, its very frustrating. I miss the old days.
> > >
> > >
> > > The old days are not gone. You can play all the older Halo games on the Xbox One. It’s called Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
> >
> >
> > we are talking about back when it came out, when halo had a million players online. If u dont like his post you dont have to comment. Jesus.
>
>
> If you guys don’t like the game, you don’t have to keep making a bunch of topics about it on the games forums. Jesus.

We love halo, we want to see change, that is why so many people are critiquing it on the forums, hopefully 343 sees this and makes changes that the community wants to see.

> 2533274819302824;14:
> > -Time To Kill - TTK: Imagine halo 3 for a second. MMmm yyyessss, isnt it nice? Those days are gone. People like CALL OF DUTY now, so thats what you get.
>
>
> Yes, I do love the fact it doesn’t take an hour and an entire clip to kill someone now. Some of us grew up playing Halo Ce and not slow-as-molasses games like Halo 3. Halo 5’s killtimes are nowhere near CoD. All 343I did was make the “mistake” of ensuring they are actually within reason for once in the past seven years.
>
> To put it into perspective, the fastest weapons in Halo 5 kill in a second flat, while CoD has guns that will kill you in a tenth of that time.

Halo 3 was not slow, it was competitive and provided much chance to outplay, something a real competitive game needs there is a reason MOBAs are the biggest esports right now and why halo esports died after halo 3.

> 2533274858827953;6:
> I just mean the general feeling of halo 3. The competitive fairness of it all. The whole shabang. No one wants to play a dead game. I like change, and i welcomed halo reach and halo 4 with open arms, because they didnt stray too far off the path. But this is not halo anymore, this is a side project or something.

okay, I have to stop you there. Halo 4 wasn’t even near the path, it ignored the signs and wandered off into the bush, never to return.
-Yoinking!- Ordinance, armour abilities, PERKS. None of that crap belonged in a Halo game.

Halo 5 is walking alongside the path. It is a hell of a lot closer to classic Halo then 4 and Reach were.

I completely agree with the op here. Matchmaking is just a random pile of utter carnage. Everyone just gets funnelled into the choke points around the edges on a lot of the maps, and when they arrive, they arrive with their pockets crammed with grenades, at which point it’s all about whoever is closest to the server gets the kill. I mean, why go through the middle of a lot of these maps as you’re just a sitting duck if you do. There’s very little point firing across the map, as the outer map edges aren’t open enough, or the players travel too fast between them, same effect either way!

I also echo the comments about the aiming. I used to be on a 7 in every other Halo. With H5 I’ve found myself on a 5, but tbh I can’t find any sensitivity that works properly, there’s just a huge lack of control which adds to the random spray and pray or drop all your grenades at once scenario. In previous Halo titles, when connectivity issues were present, I used to use the phrase “Reticle on a rubber band”! This best describes the way the reticle behaves when a certain player to player distance is breached, and the closer the range, the worse it is. I’ve questioned if the way the spartan moves is amplifying this or not? I know there’s a definitive and serious lack of control though, for sure!

I also don’t stay alive very long after killing. This is for simple reasons. Again, the funnelling of teams into the choke points on the maps and once you’ve killed someone, you’re simply grenaded to death or chased down by the speed people travel at, in as suggested, small areas of the maps.

There’s also serious latency here in the UK which some say is due to the servers being in the USA, which adds to the misery. Idk about that, but it’s laggy. Even Star Wars Battlefront beta was nowhere near as laggy as this game.

Some people like utter chaos all of the time, which this is. I’ll summarise what you need to do well in Halo 5 multiplayer. Luck! When luck is your biggest companion, there’s something very wrong with the game!

I want to like Halo 5, but I won’t be continuing with multiplayer for much longer if it fails to improve. Halo is the only game I give any real time to, in fact I own less than half a dozen other titles on Xbox one.

> 2533274891104960;18:
> I completely agree with the op here. Matchmaking is just a random pile of utter carnage. Everyone just gets funnelled into the choke points around the edges on a lot of the maps, and when they arrive, they arrive with their pockets crammed with grenades, at which point it’s all about whoever is closest to the server gets the kill. I mean, why go through the middle of a lot of these maps as you’re just a sitting duck if you do. There’s very little point firing across the map, as the outer map edges aren’t open enough, or the players travel too fast between them, same effect either way!
>
> I also echo the comments about the aiming. I used to be st on a 7 in every other Halo. With H5 I’ve found myself on a 5, but tbh I can’t find any sensitivity that works properly, there’s just a huge lack of control which adds to the random spray and pray or drop all your grenades at once scenario. In previous Halo titles, when connectivity issues were present, I used to use the phrase “Reticle on a rubber band”! This best describes the way the reticle behaves when a certain player to player distance is breached, and the closer the range, the worse it is. I’ve questioned if the way the spartan moves is amplifying this or not? I know there’s a definitive and serious lack of control though, for sure!
>
> I also don’t stay alive very long after killing. This is for simple reasons. Again, the funnelling of teams into the choke points on the maps and once you’ve killed someone, you’re simply grenaded to death or chased down by the speed people travel at, in as suggested, small areas of the maps.
>
> There’s also serious latency here in the UK which some say is due to the servers being in the USA, which adds to the misery. Idk about that, but it’s laggy. Even Star Wars Battlefront beta was nowhere near as laggy as this game.
>
> Some people like utter chaos all of the time, which this is. I’ll summarise what you need to do well in Hali 5 multiplayer. Luck! When luck is your biggest companion, there’s something very wrong with the game!
>
> I want to like Halo 5, but I won’t be continuing with multiplayer for much longer if it fails to improve. Halo is the only game I give any real time to, in fact I own less than half a dozen other titles on Xbox one.

What is so difficult about the aiming? Am I the only person on this forum to have absolutely no issues with it at all?

There’s an awful lot of people saying the same thing about the aiming mechanics. Show me where this element of Halo has been called in to question in the past?

Now i’m going to point towards a particular option in the custom games menu in which you can change a vast amount of options, and make 5 feel a little more like your beloved Halo 3.

I cut my teeth in Halo Reach, with sprint, on the multiplayer front and can draw satisfaction from all Halo titles apart from this one at the moment. I can pick fault with each and every Halo title, because none are perfect. However, never before have I experienced the very basics such as aiming being wrong in any other title.

Because I haven’t been a Halo multiplayer since the very first title and because I began playing Halo with sprint, you can rest assured that anything I write will have nothing to do with nostalgia, believe it, it’s true!