Halo 5 lighting downgraded severely from beta.

So I just went back and watched some halo 5 beta to see the difference in gameplay but it turns out my attention was drawn to something else. I watched gameplay on truth, empire, eden, and regret. And wow the lighting has been downgraded by a lot. It seems a lot of the dynamic lighting has been turned into baked lighting. For example the lights in the ground on truth seem to no longer reflect off surfaces and are a lot dimmer. The ambient lighting on the map seems to be toned down a lot too. Empire’s ambient lighting just seems to have really been toned down. Along with more baked lighting than dynamic lighting. Eden looks like trash now compared to the beta. They brightened it up so much to now it just looks purple in the final game. When in the beta it looked like the map actually took place at night and had a more moody feel to it. They completely took that away. They also took out dynamic lighting of course and replaced it with baked lighting. And to all the people that said eden was too dark in the beta, you guys obviously need your eyes Checked because I and all of my friends agree you can see just fine. Especially now that 343 changed the color of blue team. Finally regret. Regret just looks better in every way in the beta. Ambient lighting was incredible as well as dynamic lighting. Now the final version .looks like garbage compared to the beta. Especially now that they changed the setting from a delta halo looking jungle to a swamp. Now why would this happen? Simple, the console war. You see in the beta it ran at 720p 60fps and looked incredible. Now they have it at a dynamic resolution 60fps while mainly running at 1080p. So why did the 343 do this if the game looks better at 720p well apparently numbers and resolution are actually more important than the thing that makes the game look good in the first place, lighting. Microsoft new that if they let halo 5 run at 720p That the Xbox one would be considered inferior because it can’t run its flagship at 1080p. So they made 343 change it to 1080p regardless of how much better it looked at 720p to meet “next gen requirements.”

So if you have agree with me then what can we do about? Well we need to make it aware to Microsoft that we don’t about the resolution (as long as it’s not below 720p) because resolution is not the the thing that makes a game look pretty. It’s just the icing on the cake.

Video evidence

Truth: http://youtu.be/EmbG7e9gGSM

Empire: http://youtu.be/T-q7m8MMMcA

Eden: http://youtu.be/92bq_yql-2A

Regret: http://youtu.be/E-BujDejY4w

Lazy Links:
Truth
Empire
Eden
Regret

> 2533274887968151;2:
> Lazy Links:
> Truth
> Empire
> Eden
> Regret

Thank you kinda new to the forums

> 2533274875146433;1:
> So if you have agree with me then what can we do about? Well we need to make it aware to Microsoft that we don’t about the resolution (as long as it’s not below 720p) because resolution is not the the thing that makes a game look pretty. It’s just the icing on the cake.

So resolution doesn’t matter at all?
Let’s put it this way, at 1080p the max distance for a player to be able to discern whether or not an object is part of the map or another player is 4 times as farther than at 720p, because there is four times the amount of pixels.

We do care about the resolution, and the lighting may have been downgraded, but by how much? The game still, from a graphical standpoint, looks great. Is it the prettiest game out there? No. But are we really gonna make a big deal that the lighting changed from beta? It was a beta. They stress constantly that things are subject to change.

My advice, suck it up. The lighting is still pretty. Admire what you got.

> Thank you kinda new to the forums

Your welcome. Most new people don’t have access to linking like that anyways.

The graphics themselves have improved but the lighting is just… Why

I preferred the beta look a lot. I remember seeing some Warzone gameplay on Ready Up Live the months following the close of the beta, and noticing that (IMO) it looked a bit ugly compared to the beta. I’m used to it now, and it’s not bad, but that beta lighting puts me in a good mood just thinking about it.

> 2533274905097737;6:
> I preferred the beta look a lot. I remember seeing some Warzone gameplay on Ready Up Live the months following the close of the beta, and noticing that (IMO) it looked a bit ugly compared to the beta. I’m used to it now, and it’s not bad, but that beta lighting puts me in a good mood just thinking about it.

They improved the textures but they -Yoinked!- lighting up

> 2533274875146433;1:
> So they made 343 change it to 1080p regardless of how much better it looked at 720p to meet “next gen requirements.”

Halo 5 doesn’t run at 1080p, it uses dynamic resolution scaling. It’s an algorithm that changes the resolution on the fly, so it’s always running at the highest possible resolution for the scene. It rarely hits 1080p - have a read of the link at the bottom.

A higher resolution allows for greater detail everywhere. So by doing this, they’re getting the best possible image quality at the highest resolution, no matter what action is happening on the screen. It works well, and isn’t noticeable when you’re playing. The only time I can notice it is when I get killed in Warzone and have to wait to respawn. You have a picture of the map, and can see the resolution change slightly while people run around on the screen.

I’m not surprised that the lighting has been scaled back, they had to make tons of compromises to get it to run well. Unfortunately the Xbox One is a very underpowered console for this generation. The PS4 has 50% more shaders and uses GDDR5 ram, much faster than the Xbox One’s DDR3. So games on the PS4 should always look better than the Xbox One versions, and the only reason some don’t is because developers want to keep parity between the two consoles. But yeah, with Halo being the Xbox’s flagship game, they needed it to look it’s best.

Personally I think they did a good job, and most importantly the game plays extremely smoothly. No slowdowns, and no screen tearing. I do notice the jagged animations, the spartans look weird when they run at a distance. But that’s a small price to pay for 60fps. We have to remember that this is a console, not a £2000 gaming PC.

Link: Halo 5 Xbox One Technical Analysis Praises 60FPS

> 2533274792641480;8:
> > 2533274875146433;1:
> > So they made 343 change it to 1080p regardless of how much better it looked at 720p to meet “next gen requirements.”
>
>
> Halo 5 doesn’t run at 1080p, it uses dynamic resolution scaling. It’s an algorithm that changes the resolution on the fly, so it’s always running at the highest possible resolution for the scene. It rarely hits 1080p - have a read of the link at the bottom.
>
> A higher resolution allows for greater detail everywhere. So by doing this, they’re getting the best possible image quality at the highest resolution, no matter what action is happening on the screen. It works well, and isn’t noticeable when you’re playing. The only time I can notice it is when I get killed in Warzone and have to wait to respawn. You have a picture of the map, and can see the resolution change slightly while people run around on the screen.
>
> I’m not surprised that the lighting has been scaled back, they had to make tons of compromises to get it to run well. Unfortunately the Xbox One is a very underpowered console for this generation. The PS4 has 50% more shaders and uses GDDR5 ram, much faster than the Xbox One’s DDR3. So games on the PS4 should always look better than the Xbox One versions, and the only reason some don’t is because developers want to keep parity between the two consoles. But yeah, with Halo being the Xbox’s flagship game, they needed it to look it’s best.
>
> Personally I think they did a good job, and most importantly the game plays extremely smoothly. No slowdowns, and no screen tearing. I do notice the jagged animations, the spartans look weird when they run at a distance. But that’s a small price to pay for 60fps. We have to remember that this is a console, not a £2000 gaming PC.
>
> Link: Halo 5 Xbox One Technical Analysis Praises 60FPS

I said it mainly runs at 1080p not always

> 2533274875146433;9:
> > 2533274792641480;8:
> > > 2533274875146433;1:
> > > So they made 343 change it to 1080p regardless of how much better it looked at 720p to meet “next gen requirements.”
> >
> >
> > Halo 5 doesn’t run at 1080p, it uses dynamic resolution scaling. It’s an algorithm that changes the resolution on the fly, so it’s always running at the highest possible resolution for the scene. It rarely hits 1080p - have a read of the link at the bottom.
> >
> > A higher resolution allows for greater detail everywhere. So by doing this, they’re getting the best possible image quality at the highest resolution, no matter what action is happening on the screen. It works well, and isn’t noticeable when you’re playing. The only time I can notice it is when I get killed in Warzone and have to wait to respawn. You have a picture of the map, and can see the resolution change slightly while people run around on the screen.
> >
> > I’m not surprised that the lighting has been scaled back, they had to make tons of compromises to get it to run well. Unfortunately the Xbox One is a very underpowered console for this generation. The PS4 has 50% more shaders and uses GDDR5 ram, much faster than the Xbox One’s DDR3. So games on the PS4 should always look better than the Xbox One versions, and the only reason some don’t is because developers want to keep parity between the two consoles. But yeah, with Halo being the Xbox’s flagship game, they needed it to look it’s best.
> >
> > Personally I think they did a good job, and most importantly the game plays extremely smoothly. No slowdowns, and no screen tearing. I do notice the jagged animations, the spartans look weird when they run at a distance. But that’s a small price to pay for 60fps. We have to remember that this is a console, not a £2000 gaming PC.
> >
> > Link: Halo 5 Xbox One Technical Analysis Praises 60FPS
>
>
> I said it mainly runs at 1080p not always

No it doesn’t, you’re wrong. Read the link and my explanation.

And you’re also wrong that we don’t care about resolution, as someone else explained more pixels allows you to pick enemies out further away.

It’s a pointless thread anyway, they’re not going to change the game for you.

Graphically I think overall this game is a huge disappointment. It can look really ugly in places, certainly not what I was hoping for.

The shield recharge noise reminds me of a slot machine.

I do miss the “Picked up a [Weapon]” thing. That would be helpful in Warzone. I don’t like the Beta BR sounds though. Sounds even more like one shot than the BR we have.

People complained about the lighting in the beta, so it was toned down. It was much too distracting on most maps and interfered with gameplay.

> 2533274873930527;11:
> Graphically I think overall this game is a huge disappointment. It can look really ugly in places, certainly not what I was hoping for.

What did you expect? The Xbox One basically uses laptop hardware, it’s a cheap console. There isn’t a single game on the Xbox that has amazing graphics, that’s like asking a £100 car to do 200mph.

I guarantee everyone that complained about the lighting didn’t fix a damn thing.

If anything, wearing all black wouldn’t have been more viable than any other colors, because they all got equally dark in the shade, but I digress, it’s not like long range combat is even encouraged in this game… at least not in Arena.

And in close range… For crying out loud, it’s Halo. The radar picks them up, (which in the beta actually gave you TIME to see them…) glance in your opponent’s general direction, and your reticule will stick to them. People obviously hide in corners to assassinate players walking by and avoid detection via radar sneak, but they always do that, and will continue to do so no matter how easy they are to see, because those are completely valid tactics.

Changed, sure. But I guarantee that what Halo 5’s lighting is now, is not superior.

i wish eden was still set at night :frowning: looks so much better at night time

I would have loved to take screenshots on these beautiful maps ;(

> 2533274792641480;10:
> > 2533274875146433;9:
> > > 2533274792641480;8:
> > > > 2533274875146433;1:
> > > > So they made 343 change it to 1080p regardless of how much better it looked at 720p to meet “next gen requirements.”
> > >
> > >
> > > Halo 5 doesn’t run at 1080p, it uses dynamic resolution scaling. It’s an algorithm that changes the resolution on the fly, so it’s always running at the highest possible resolution for the scene. It rarely hits 1080p - have a read of the link at the bottom.
> > >
> > > A higher resolution allows for greater detail everywhere. So by doing this, they’re getting the best possible image quality at the highest resolution, no matter what action is happening on the screen. It works well, and isn’t noticeable when you’re playing. The only time I can notice it is when I get killed in Warzone and have to wait to respawn. You have a picture of the map, and can see the resolution change slightly while people run around on the screen.
> > >
> > > I’m not surprised that the lighting has been scaled back, they had to make tons of compromises to get it to run well. Unfortunately the Xbox One is a very underpowered console for this generation. The PS4 has 50% more shaders and uses GDDR5 ram, much faster than the Xbox One’s DDR3. So games on the PS4 should always look better than the Xbox One versions, and the only reason some don’t is because developers want to keep parity between the two consoles. But yeah, with Halo being the Xbox’s flagship game, they needed it to look it’s best.
> > >
> > > Personally I think they did a good job, and most importantly the game plays extremely smoothly. No slowdowns, and no screen tearing. I do notice the jagged animations, the spartans look weird when they run at a distance. But that’s a small price to pay for 60fps. We have to remember that this is a console, not a £2000 gaming PC.
> > >
> > > Link: Halo 5 Xbox One Technical Analysis Praises 60FPS
> >
> >
> > I said it mainly runs at 1080p not always
>
>
> No it doesn’t, you’re wrong. Read the link and my explanation.
>
> And you’re also wrong that we don’t care about resolution, as someone else explained more pixels allows you to pick enemies out further away.
>
> It’s a pointless thread anyway, they’re not going to change the game for you.

This is why I don’t post on halo waypoint forums it is full of people like you. This thread isn’t pointless it is about helping the graphics of future games. And I can see things at a distance just fine at 720p. You need your eyes checked

People we had 720p in all halo games before and we could see things at a distance just fine. Stop saying 1080p is mandatory

> 2533274875146433;19:
> People we had 720p in all halo games before and we could see things at a distance just fine. Stop saying 1080p is mandatory

Not in all but halo 4 and the games before it had even lower resolution. So don’t say it mandatory