Halo 5 killed my passion for the Halo universe

We all had so much hope for Halo 5 and there was a ton of potential ways that 343 could have taken the story that could have made more people appreciate how deep and great the halo lore really is. I was excited because there were so many great possibilities and questions that could have been answered:

• How the chief responds to the loss of cortana and nearly everybody else close to him after years of pushing it away for the sake of humanity - With the return of blue team they could have delved into the backstory for casual fans and add more personality to characters we’ve only seen in books so far - Why were the guardians being activated? It had to have been something big for chief to go awol and kill millions activating them, possibly the flood? - What will Halsey do after being betrayed by the UNSC? - Epic showdown between Locke and Chief over his apparently grevious crimes considering a death squad was sent after him - Learn what the librarian actually did to himcould write a lot more but it’s been months since I played the game, this is just stuff off the top of my head

Instead we got an illogical and bland AI rebellion story

• blue team might as well have not been there, actually would have rather they not because it is humiliating what they did to their characters - halsey drama might as well have not happened in the first place - palmer apparently had a lobotomy because her personality did a 180 - death squad is sent after chief over nothing, literally contrived drama - Chief is OOC, throwing punches at locke like a psychopath when he could have just walked through the portal - There’s nothing to be said about Cortana and the created that hasn’t been said about -Yoink!- in africa - Locke and Chief are suddenly buddies for no apparent reason on GenesisHalo 4 might as well have not happened because there is literally nothing relevant from that game, cortana comes back anyway and the didact is apparently irrelevant. This is supposed to be a trilogy but the first third could have been cut to chief getting back to earth with no other loss moving forward.

I’ve been a die hard halo fan for a long time but I just don’t see anyway that 343 can salvage this story into anything that would interest me in Halo 6. I can’t even trust whatever marketing they put out after halo 5 and hunt the truth so I definitely wouldn’t buy it on release. Pretty sad that this was the best story they could come up with during 3 years of development, a 5-6 hour mediocre campaign. I would actually gain some hope if they would admit that something major happened with the story development close to release because it seems like they had to pull something together fast based on the story

The only reason I’m writing this is because Halo has the potential to be so much more than it is. Majority of people only know it for multiplayer when if done right its campaign and storyline could be mentioned in the same breath as The Last of Us, Uncharted, Mass Effect, etc.

Im pretty sure something DID…

> 2533274907200114;2:
> Im pretty sure something DID…

What?

Don’t let it. While the events of Halo 5 were definitely poor, and will remain a dark-spot, the Halo universe is no-less interesting because of it. And, I’m sure, that in time, 343 will either quickly get us through this dark spot, or they will be able to fix it through ret-con or clever retrospection.

Same

Mentioned in the same breath as Uncharted? Kill me now-

For the record, when Chief got pissed off at Locke, that literally answers your first thing you wanted to see. He’s become pissed off, and willing to go to great levels to get her back.

Everything else you said was pretty justified, but certainly not worthy of you having lost faith in the entire damn series. I mean, what are you even achieving by posting it here? Telling 343 that they -Yoinked!- up and that Brian Reed’s a terrible writer? They know that already, man.

I know the feeling.

It’s as if you’re standing on a sinking ship, and you try to blot the holes because that ship has a special place in your heart, but deep inside you already know the ship is gone and you’re better off jumping on the lifeboat and leaving it to die.

343i will really need to turn this around to create a good story out of the Created, and if they don’t I can’t imagine I’ll play Halo 7.

> 2533274974033696;4:
> Don’t let it. While the events of Halo 5 were definitely poor, and will remain a dark-spot, the Halo universe is no-less interesting because of it. And, I’m sure, that in time, 343 will either quickly get us through this dark spot, or they will be able to fix it through ret-con or clever retrospection.

The problem is most other story threads have been completely destroyed to make way for this current plot. This game was also largely a setup game, meaning halo 6 is very likely being focused on cortana and the created…unless they pull another halo 5 and drop everything to introduce yet another big bad (which as much as h5’s plot is disliked, I think would still be poorly received). So they’re pretty much saddled with the task of making the created interesting.

> 2533274853720708;1:
> We all had so much hope for Halo 5 and there was a ton of potential ways that 343 could have taken the story that could have made more people appreciate how deep and great the halo lore really is. I was excited because there were so many great possibilities and questions that could have been answered:
>
>
>
> - How the chief responds to the loss of cortana and nearly everybody else close to him after years of pushing it away for the sake of humanity
> - With the return of blue team they could have delved into the backstory for casual fans and add more personality to characters we’ve only seen in books so far
> - Why were the guardians being activated? It had to have been something big for chief to go awol and kill millions activating them, possibly the flood?
> - What will Halsey do after being betrayed by the UNSC?
> - Epic showdown between Locke and Chief over his apparently grevious crimes considering a death squad was sent after him
> - Learn what the librarian actually did to him
> could write a lot more but it’s been months since I played the game, this is just stuff off the top of my head
>
> Instead we got an illogical and bland AI rebellion story
>
> - blue team might as well have not been there, actually would have rather they not because it is humiliating what they did to their characters
> - halsey drama might as well have not happened in the first place
> - palmer apparently had a lobotomy because her personality did a 180
> - death squad is sent after chief over nothing, literally contrived drama
> - Chief is OOC, throwing punches at locke like a psychopath when he could have just walked through the portal
> - There’s nothing to be said about Cortana and the created that hasn’t been said about -Yoink!- in africa
> - Locke and Chief are suddenly buddies for no apparent reason on Genesis
> Halo 4 might as well have not happened because there is literally nothing relevant from that game, cortana comes back anyway and the didact is apparently irrelevant. This is supposed to be a trilogy but the first third could have been cut to chief getting back to earth with no other loss moving forward.
>
> I’ve been a die hard halo fan for a long time but I just don’t see anyway that 343 can salvage this story into anything that would interest me in Halo 6. I can’t even trust whatever marketing they put out after halo 5 and hunt the truth so I definitely wouldn’t buy it on release. Pretty sad that this was the best story they could come up with during 3 years of development, a 5-6 hour mediocre campaign. I would actually gain some hope if they would admit that something major happened with the story development close to release because it seems like they had to pull something together fast based on the story
>
> The only reason I’m writing this is because Halo has the potential to be so much more than it is. Majority of people only know it for multiplayer when if done right its campaign and storyline could be mentioned in the same breath as The Last of Us, Uncharted, Mass Effect, etc.

I’m almost 100% positive that something changed halfway through development that caused this abomination. If you look at all the lore leading up to it and all the concept art/UI art for it, it definitely looks like something changed. 72 hours seems like a last ditch effort to erase that build up (as does the end of the Janus key/Halsey arc) to try and hide the original story. We’ll probably never know for certain though, since Microsoft wants halo 5 to sell Xbox ones, and saying that the campaign isn’t what it’s supposed to be because of development problems isn’t gonna help that goal.

> 2533274964189700;8:
> > 2533274974033696;4:
> > Don’t let it. While the events of Halo 5 were definitely poor, and will remain a dark-spot, the Halo universe is no-less interesting because of it. And, I’m sure, that in time, 343 will either quickly get us through this dark spot, or they will be able to fix it through ret-con or clever retrospection.
>
>
> The problem is most other story threads have been completely destroyed to make way for this current plot. This game was also largely a setup game, meaning halo 6 is very likely being focused on cortana and the created…unless they pull another halo 5 and drop everything to introduce yet another big bad (which as much as h5’s plot is disliked, I think would still be poorly received). So they’re pretty much saddled with the task of making the created interesting.

No, they’ve merely been put on the back-burner. They can’t logically throw away these threads; the problems, post-Created, will still exist. ONI will still be big and bad, The Didact will still be alive, everything.

> 2533274974033696;10:
> > 2533274964189700;8:
> > > 2533274974033696;4:
> > > Don’t let it. While the events of Halo 5 were definitely poor, and will remain a dark-spot, the Halo universe is no-less interesting because of it. And, I’m sure, that in time, 343 will either quickly get us through this dark spot, or they will be able to fix it through ret-con or clever retrospection.
> >
> >
> > The problem is most other story threads have been completely destroyed to make way for this current plot. This game was also largely a setup game, meaning halo 6 is very likely being focused on cortana and the created…unless they pull another halo 5 and drop everything to introduce yet another big bad (which as much as h5’s plot is disliked, I think would still be poorly received). So they’re pretty much saddled with the task of making the created interesting.
>
>
> No, they’ve merely been put on the back-burner. They can’t logically throw away these threads; the problems, post-Created, will still exist. ONI will still be big and bad, The Didact will still be alive, everything.

That’s a totally worthless cop-out and you know it. And on what authority do you have it that any of the plot threads surrounding ONI, the Didact, etc., will actually return OR be resolved in a way befitting //the several years of development// they had up to now? The subplot regarding Jul Mdama certainly got thrown away.

I had fun playing the campaign, but the story that went with it, god it was painful. I have no idea who let Brian Reed into the studio and I don’t know who the psycho was that let him write the story for Halo 5. They need to get rid of him and bring in a miracle writer to clean up his mess and make something, somewhat good in Halo 6. Halo 5 is one of my favorite halo games, but the story is so, so bad.

Sadly, I feel the same way. I may not have read or played much of the EU stuff, but that’s mostly because it hasn’t interested me, and there is very, very little to keep me interested. I’m just glad I still have the original games. Because of everything I’ve heard about Halo 5’s plot, I am considering Halo 4 (which I am more than halfway through, now) to be my last Halo game. I just can’t invest myself into stories and characters that I don’t give a rat’s -Yoink- about (really have zero interest in any new Spartans, the label is getting really tiresome now). It really depresses me, since I was into Halo since CE first came out on the Xbox. Halo 4 seems to have a lot of great ideas, but…I don’t trust 343i with anything else going forward. =(

> 2533274943247917;9:
> > 2533274853720708;1:
> > We all had so much hope for Halo 5 and there was a ton of potential ways that 343 could have taken the story that could have made more people appreciate how deep and great the halo lore really is. I was excited because there were so many great possibilities and questions that could have been answered:
> >
> >
> >
> > - How the chief responds to the loss of cortana and nearly everybody else close to him after years of pushing it away for the sake of humanity
> > - With the return of blue team they could have delved into the backstory for casual fans and add more personality to characters we’ve only seen in books so far
> > - Why were the guardians being activated? It had to have been something big for chief to go awol and kill millions activating them, possibly the flood?
> > - What will Halsey do after being betrayed by the UNSC?
> > - Epic showdown between Locke and Chief over his apparently grevious crimes considering a death squad was sent after him
> > - Learn what the librarian actually did to him
> > could write a lot more but it’s been months since I played the game, this is just stuff off the top of my head
> >
> > Instead we got an illogical and bland AI rebellion story
> >
> > - blue team might as well have not been there, actually would have rather they not because it is humiliating what they did to their characters
> > - halsey drama might as well have not happened in the first place
> > - palmer apparently had a lobotomy because her personality did a 180
> > - death squad is sent after chief over nothing, literally contrived drama
> > - Chief is OOC, throwing punches at locke like a psychopath when he could have just walked through the portal
> > - There’s nothing to be said about Cortana and the created that hasn’t been said about -Yoink!- in africa
> > - Locke and Chief are suddenly buddies for no apparent reason on Genesis
> > Halo 4 might as well have not happened because there is literally nothing relevant from that game, cortana comes back anyway and the didact is apparently irrelevant. This is supposed to be a trilogy but the first third could have been cut to chief getting back to earth with no other loss moving forward.
> >
> > I’ve been a die hard halo fan for a long time but I just don’t see anyway that 343 can salvage this story into anything that would interest me in Halo 6. I can’t even trust whatever marketing they put out after halo 5 and hunt the truth so I definitely wouldn’t buy it on release. Pretty sad that this was the best story they could come up with during 3 years of development, a 5-6 hour mediocre campaign. I would actually gain some hope if they would admit that something major happened with the story development close to release because it seems like they had to pull something together fast based on the story
> >
> > The only reason I’m writing this is because Halo has the potential to be so much more than it is. Majority of people only know it for multiplayer when if done right its campaign and storyline could be mentioned in the same breath as The Last of Us, Uncharted, Mass Effect, etc.
>
>
> I’m almost 100% positive that something changed halfway through development that caused this abomination. If you look at all the lore leading up to it and all the concept art/UI art for it, it definitely looks like something changed. 72 hours seems like a last ditch effort to erase that build up (as does the end of the Janus key/Halsey arc) to try and hide the original story. We’ll probably never know for certain though, since Microsoft wants halo 5 to sell Xbox ones, and saying that the campaign isn’t what it’s supposed to be because of development problems isn’t gonna help that goal.

That’s what I think, the marketing, hunt the truth, halo 4, all of it pointed in an entirely different direction than where halo 5 actually went. Like I said, I wish they would come out and just admit it and I would have more confidence in 343 for halo 6. Even so, it’s unacceptable for a game on a 3 year development cycle to have something like that happen. 343 needs to seriously make changes in management, MCC launch was a disaster, Halo 5 campaign seemingly had major development issues, and Halo 5 multiplayer was basically incomplete at launch with limited maps and no forge

> 2533274827061290;12:
> I had fun playing the campaign, but the story that went with it, god it was painful. I have no idea who let Brian Reed into the studio and I don’t know who the psycho was that let him write the story for Halo 5. They need to get rid of him and bring in a miracle writer to clean up his mess and make something, somewhat good in Halo 6. Halo 5 is one of my favorite halo games, but the story is so, so bad.

I will admit the gameplay was very good for the most part. Only thing I didn’t like was the revive mechanic, basically eliminated the challenge. Team AI was also terrible, if you are going to make it squad based and not have local split screen, at least try to make the AI competent.

> 2533274920039666;11:
> > 2533274974033696;10:
> > > 2533274964189700;8:
> > > > 2533274974033696;4:
> > > > Don’t let it. While the events of Halo 5 were definitely poor, and will remain a dark-spot, the Halo universe is no-less interesting because of it. And, I’m sure, that in time, 343 will either quickly get us through this dark spot, or they will be able to fix it through ret-con or clever retrospection.
> > >
> > >
> > > The problem is most other story threads have been completely destroyed to make way for this current plot. This game was also largely a setup game, meaning halo 6 is very likely being focused on cortana and the created…unless they pull another halo 5 and drop everything to introduce yet another big bad (which as much as h5’s plot is disliked, I think would still be poorly received). So they’re pretty much saddled with the task of making the created interesting.
> >
> >
> > No, they’ve merely been put on the back-burner. They can’t logically throw away these threads; the problems, post-Created, will still exist. ONI will still be big and bad, The Didact will still be alive, everything.
>
>
> That’s a totally worthless cop-out and you know it. And on what authority do you have it that any of the plot threads surrounding ONI, the Didact, etc., will actually return OR be resolved in a way befitting //the several years of development// they had up to now? The subplot regarding Jul Mdama certainly got thrown away.

Honestly don’t understand what they were thinking. Terrible story writing in the sense that the second part of a supposed trilogy had nothing to do with the first segment. They could have just had the UNSC find Chief with cortana already dead from rampancy and done the plot of Halo 5 in the first game and not wasted our time if that was the original plan.

> 2533274853720708;14:
> > 2533274943247917;9:
> > > 2533274853720708;1:
> > >
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274920039666;11:
> >
>
>
> Honestly don’t understand what they were thinking. Terrible story writing in the sense that the second part of a supposed trilogy had nothing to do with the first segment. They could have just had the UNSC find Chief with cortana already dead from rampancy and done the plot of Halo 5 in the first game and not wasted our time if that was the original plan.

Yeah, the story does feel incredibly disjointed for being the second installment of a so-called trilogy. Osiris was obviously the major focus, as they had the most screen time and game time. However, the characters (except for Buck) were introduced only within the past few years, and people who never read the books or watched Nightfall wouldn’t know who these guys (and gals) were. They should have held off on Osiris being the main characters for either a) a standalone game just for them or b) the first installment of a brand-new trilogy, not right in the middle of an already established trilogy. So many things make Halo 4 now feel like a complete standalone game, story-wise, with Halo 5 being the true beginning of a new story cycle.

Yes, second-installment stories for trilogies such as The Empire Strikes Back and The Two Towers introduced new main characters, but you learned about them through the story itself, not from an outside source - we learned about the new characters at the same time the original main characters learned about them. The Empire Strikes Back also, like Halo 5, has a story that doesn’t directly connect to it’s predecessor (A New Hope/Halo 4), however, it still feels like a logical progression of the story, and many characters, good and evil, had already been introduced. Unlike Halo 5, ESB and TTT each BUILT upon what came before and expanded the story and developed the characters further while also bringing in new, supporting characters to further the story. That’s what makes Halo 5 very, very disjointing.

(Had to delete the text of the other quotes in order to keep under the character limit! =P )

The odd thing with Osiris is that while they were the focus from a gameplay standpoint, they are pretty pointless beyond killing Jul and saving chief in the end.

The main story is the rise of the created with cortana, which only really develops during Chief levels.

> 2533274887950450;15:
> > 2533274853720708;14:
> > > 2533274943247917;9:
> > > > 2533274853720708;1:
> > > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2533274920039666;11:
> > >
>
>
> Yeah, the story does feel incredibly disjointed for being the second installment of a so-called trilogy. Osiris was obviously the major focus, as they had the most screen time and game time. However, the characters (except for Buck) were introduced only within the past few years, and people who never read the books or watched Nightfall wouldn’t know who these guys (and gals) were. They should have held off on Osiris being the main characters for either a) a standalone game just for them or b) the first installment of a brand-new trilogy, not right in the middle of an already established trilogy. So many things make Halo 4 now feel like a complete standalone game, story-wise, with Halo 5 being the true beginning of a new story cycle.
>
> Yes, second-installment stories for trilogies such as The Empire Strikes Back and The Two Towers introduced new main characters, but you learned about them through the story itself, not from an outside source - we learned about the new characters at the same time the original main characters learned about them. The Empire Strikes Back also, like Halo 5, has a story that doesn’t directly connect to it’s predecessor (A New Hope/Halo 4), however, it still feels like a logical progression of the story, and many characters, good and evil, had already been introduced. Unlike Halo 5, ESB and TTT each BUILT upon what came before and expanded the story and developed the characters further while also bringing in new, supporting characters to further the story. That’s what makes Halo 5 very, very disjointing
>
> (Had to delete the text of the other quotes in order to keep under the character limit! =P )

Halo 4 at this point feels completely pointless. Basically everything they established in the game was erased, and all the story arcs they set in motion (such as chief exploring his humanity after Cortana’s death, the Janus key, and so on) were completely discarded. You could almost skip halo 4 and still be able to understand the story.

It killed my passion for the Halo universe and that was the last thing tethering me as a Halo fan. For all my problems with Halo 5 multiplayer, I still had faith Halo 5 would at least have a good and interesting campaign, The Halo 4 campaign was actually pretty good and despite some misgivings with aspects of H4 story, Spartan Ops, and some of the extended universe storylines I was still very much on board with the Halo universe.

But then Halo 5 happened at all that evaporated. Its no so much that I had a problem with the specific changes(although I have plenty of those), I just had a problem with the fact that major plotlines and characters were either dropped or ended unceremoniously. It felt like Reach 2.0 with how the lore was treated.

Why bother getting invested when such major characters and plotlines can be dropped at a moments notice? “Ooh I would love to see were this storyline is goin… uh nevermind they just swept it under the rug…”

Halo 5 may have changed the Halo Universe radically. But don’t let that change your passion.

> 2533274964189700;16:
> The odd thing with Osiris is that while they were the focus from a gameplay standpoint, they are pretty pointless beyond killing Jul and saving chief in the end.
>
> The main story is the rise of the created with cortana, which only really develops during Chief levels.

+1 Among the many criticisms of H5’s story, this one amuses me the most - it’s the same plothole as the one that plagues Raiders of the Lost Ark (as was spelled out for us by an episode of The Big Bang Theory) - Osiris and Blue Team play almost no role in the outcome of the story. The only useful thing they actually do is fight and then rescue each other. They do absolutely nothing whatsoever to stop Cortana from rising to power. If they hadn’t been there, the Created would still have risen up, exactly as they did. That gives me some lulz.

Anyway, in response to the OP, yes it’s easy to be very discouraged and pessimistic right now, but at this point now that they’ve seen the shock, disgust and confusion this storyline has caused, I’m staying tuned, not because I like the direction they’ve gone - because I don’t - but with the same morbid curiosity as one observing a car wreck, to see how they can possibly fix this story arc now. I’m sure it’ll involve gratuitous amounts of reconning and just completely ignoring threads they couldn’t otherwise figure out how to resolve.