Halo 5 isn't as bad as people think

Everybody is going “wah wah wah Halo 5’s campaign sucks”. Well let me break something for you, Halo 4 is about Chief trying to find out which of the 2 is a machine, him or Cortana. He finds out that the machine was him. Now Halo 5 I believe is about Chiefs journey becoming human, think about it. When he first heard that Cortana was alive he chose to disobey orders and go AWOL. Would a machine do that? That’s a very human thing to do. You know what else makes a human? Having emotions. Chief goes AWOL out of love, he doesn’t care if he gets in trouble, he’s willing to go after Cortana no matter the consequences. And when Chief and Locke meet, when Locke says “Cortana is our concern now” you can just feel the anger out of his next line “Like hell” and proceeds to beat down Locke. He could have just left but no he chose to lash out in anger. And my finale point, having a family is another human thing. Chief grew up with Blue Team ever since they were kids and they were going to go AWOL with him, their his family. Now if you put aside all your unnecessary hate you’ll see that Cortana’s sacrifice is not for nothing. Chief is becoming Human.

> 2533274927841593;1:
> Everybody is going “wah wah wah Halo 5 sucks because it doesn’t appeal to my halo 1 2 3 nostalgia, it has story and character development eeewwww. Halo 5’s campaign sucks”. Well let me break something for you, a game with just senseless action can get very boring, I like a game with a good story and character development. And for those who say that Halo 5’s story makes Halo 4’s a waste here’s the thing. Halo 4 is about Chief trying to find out which of the 2 is a machine, him or Cortana. He finds out that the machine was him. Now Halo 5 I believe is about Chiefs journey becoming human, think about it. When he first heard that Cortana was alive he chose to disobey orders and go AWOL. Would a machine do that? Thats a very human thing to do. You know what else makes a human? Having emotions. Cheif goes AWOL out of love, he doesn’t care if he gets in trouble, he’s willing to go after Cortana no matter the consequences. And when Chief and Locke meet, when Locke says “Cortana is our concern now” you can just feel the anger out of his next line “Like hell” and proceeds to beat down Locke. He could have just left but no he chose to lash out in anger. And my finale point, having a family is another human thing. Chief grew up with Blue Team ever since they were kids and they were going to go AWOL with him, their his family. Now if you put aside all your unnecessary hate you’ll see that Cortana’s sacrifice is not for nothing. Chief is becoming Human.

Which means he can die. We liked chief as a machine and cortana being the human. The “invincibility” of a Spartan II Super soldier is what this game was about. We don’t need an emotionally wrecked super soldier running rampant around the galaxy. We need a soldier, the soldier doing what he is supposed to do while saving the galaxy… again

Soldiers aren’t machines, their people

> 2533274927841593;3:
> Soldiers aren’t machines, they’re people

We don’t know how any “person” would react after going through what the Spartan II’s went through. There have been multiple examples where Spartans have gone into a suicidal battle and died without a second thought because that’s what they were ordered to do. Soldiers and ODSTs are human’s. Spartans are closer to being Machines

> 2533274927841593;3:
> Soldiers aren’t machines, their people

I liked Halo 4’s story where they put emotion into the ending. I also liked Halo 1’s campaign with “senseless action” as you put it. 5’s campaign, in my opinion, is the weakest nest to 2.

They’re*

Just because Chief is becoming human doesn’t make a good campaign. In the whole scheme of things, what you are saying (even if true), would only be a small portion of the campaign. There’s so many other things that go into making a good, fun, and interesting campaign.

Don’t hate Halo 5’s story because of Chief. Hate because of what Cortana is now. So what about Halo 4 Cortana? Halo 5 Cortana is everything that Halo 4 Cortana is against!

> 2533274927841593;1:
> Everybody is going “wah wah wah Halo 5’s campaign sucks”. Well let me break something for you, Halo 4 is about Chief trying to find out which of the 2 is a machine, him or Cortana. He finds out that the machine was him. Now Halo 5 I believe is about Chiefs journey becoming human, think about it. When he first heard that Cortana was alive he chose to disobey orders and go AWOL. Would a machine do that? That’s a very human thing to do. You know what else makes a human? Having emotions. Chief goes AWOL out of love, he doesn’t care if he gets in trouble, he’s willing to go after Cortana no matter the consequences. And when Chief and Locke meet, when Locke says “Cortana is our concern now” you can just feel the anger out of his next line “Like hell” and proceeds to beat down Locke. He could have just left but no he chose to lash out in anger. And my finale point, having a family is another human thing. Chief grew up with Blue Team ever since they were kids and they were going to go AWOL with him, their his family. Now if you put aside all your unnecessary hate you’ll see that Cortana’s sacrifice is not for nothing. Chief is becoming Human.

Something being good or bad is subjective,trying to force your views on others isn’t gonna make people feel the same as you do

I liked Halo 5 - besides the stupid AI uprising - but I can see why a lot of people don’t like it. I’m sure it would’ve been a lot more positively received if 343 had actually kept to the original campaign idea, which seemed much more well-written than the story we got (although I think that 5’s current story still has a lot to offer).

Overall I liked this game very much, it’s probably my favorite Halo game to date, but it could’ve been much better if 343 stuck to their original plans.

> 2533274811192667;4:
> > 2533274927841593;3:
> > Soldiers aren’t machines, they’re people
>
> We don’t know how any “person” would react after going through what the Spartan II’s went through. There have been multiple examples where Spartans have gone into a suicidal battle and died without a second thought because that’s what they were ordered to do. Soldiers and ODSTs are human’s. Spartans are closer to being Machines

True.

Sam died in The Fall of Reach.

You’re trying to justify with Chief becoming human… but how many missions were Chief in again?

I like the campaign but it’s definitely my least favorite in the series.

Halo 5 is still the worst campaign and I’d prefer Halo 6 to seriously retcon 5 and just pick up from 4. Otherwise, 6 is going to need a lot of revisions and superior writing to really pull a good conclusion to the trilogy from the dumpster fire of Brian Reed’s campaign.

lol I made a thread a few days ago about everything great about halo 5’s campaign.

I don’t think it’s a good campaign, but it’s definitely not the worst. You have Destiny 1, CoD, etc. to fill that role.

I don’t mind the champaign storyline, it is ok, but the speed running is amazing.

> 2533274927841593;1:
> When he first heard that Cortana was alive he chose to disobey orders and go AWOL. Would a machine do that? That’s a very human thing to do.

We already had that in Halo 4 when he disobeys a direct order from Del Rio, and was much better executed.

Here, Halsey and Infinity knows Cortana is alive even before Chief knows Cortana is alive.

> 2533274927841593;1:
> You know what else makes a human? Having emotions. Chief goes AWOL out of love, he doesn’t care if he gets in trouble, he’s willing to go after Cortana no matter the consequences. And when Chief and Locke meet, when Locke says “Cortana is our concern now” you can just feel the anger out of his next line “Like hell” and proceeds to beat down Locke. He could have just left but no he chose to lash out in anger.

Already had that in Halo 4 when Chief actually loses Cortana. The whole Campaign was Chief trying to get Cortana to Halsey and trying to defeat Didact, and they weren’t equipped to do either of them.

> 2533274927841593;1:
> And my finale point, having a family is another human thing. Chief grew up with Blue Team ever since they were kids and they were going to go AWOL with him, their his family.

Which is doubly embarrassing because Chief acts just as cold to them as he does to someone like Locke.

“Care to explain your relationship with Cortana?”
“No.”
If this is the group of people he’s supposed to trust the most over the UNSC, then he’s not doing a lot of trusting.

> 2533274927841593;1:
> Now if you put aside all your unnecessary hate you’ll see that Cortana’s sacrifice is not for nothing.

You call it “unnecessary” because you barely go over the details that most people dislike Halo 5 to begin with. You base everything on Chief when…there are more things than Chief in the world. Cortana had a storyline in Halo 4 as well, and it was arguably more important than what Chief was going through.

Cortana’s sacrifice is very much for nothing. Not only does it pretty much tarnish everything she’s went through in Halo 4, she’s basically a carbon copy of the Didact, right down to the lines they use.

> “The Mantle of Responsibility for the galaxy shelters all, human. But only the Forerunners are its masters.”

> “The Mantle of Responsibility for the galaxy shelters all! But only the Created are its masters!”

But for some reason Didact has to be left in limbo, but we needed Cortana to do literally the same thing.
She pretty much doesn’t know what she’s doing; she can’t even prove herself right, because she tried to get Chief out of the picture for her plan to work and she’s using Prometheans to reach her goal, which is extremely hypocritical of her.

And Cortana returning as evil means she has to be resolved in one way or another, so we either:

• Stop Cortana, which basically reduces her to being like the Didact in Halo 4 when we could have just had the Didact like we were told in Halo 4 - “Save” Cortana, which absolutely ruins her character to being a damsel in distress when she was the one who saved herself in Halo 4 - Have some other villain -Yoink- them up, like the Banished or the Flood, but now we have multiple problems to solve.So why did we even bring back Cortana? For a shock factor to Chief that was spoiled in the second mission?

Honestly, the only thing I really hated about the campaign was the fact that it had nothing to do with 4’s

And I liked 4’s. (pls dont hate.)

Really? The campaign is good because we watch the Chief become more human? You know we only played as him for three missions out of fifteen right? We spend the rest of the game following Locke and his band of nobodies, as they do, I don’t know, things?

I don’t dislike the direction they went with, I dislike that it was poorly put together.

The story is completely disorganised, skips all over the place with little logical sequence and critical details are left out entirely.
No, 343, I’m not going to go out and read a comic, 2 books, a podcast, a web series and 5 different websites just to know what happens in between the cut-scenes.

Many of the characters could have been completely taken out of the game and it wouldn’t make any difference, they lack any sort of personality, their motivations are never explained, their actions do not follow any sort of logical reasoning, the “conflict” is superficially based around basic misunderstandings that Dr. Phil could have cleared up in 30 seconds and most of the dialog serves no purpose, it’s just pointless banter.

And that’s not even including the ridiculous gameplay that forces you to play exactly 1 style: get surrounded like a dummy and keep dying until you eventually get lucky. There’s no choice of how to tactically approach a situation like previous titles have done, H4 had the same issue.
The only thing they got right was presentation – looks nice (environment + cut scenes), feels nice (weapons + movement), runs smoothly on 60 FPS and weapons all feel effective (though lack of ammo + lack of vehicle armor + incompatible environment layout makes some useless).

It all just feels like a game with a great plan & setup, but then they got halfway through development and were told to slap the second half together in 6 weeks – which honestly wouldn’t surprise me at all if that’s exactly what happened.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Ok, I am doing some research before I start the game so I know what to expect

Well I wouldn’t say beat down Locke that was one of the most disappointing fights I’ve seen ever. But I don’t think people hate it for those reasons yea Locke being the main left a bitter taste in people’s mouth but I’ll break down why I feel most people hate it.
it was hyped to be something that it wasn’t. The vidocs before halo 5 came made people believe something else was going to happen. I think it had that affect on everybody. Which in my opinion would of made an epic game.
Since the game was focused mostly only the view point of Osiris there was no character attachment. I felt nothing for them when they first came down but it felt like 343 progress with the character development of those 4 characters throughout the entire game as if we already had a background with them. And with that said the dialogue between the characters was lack luster as well felt dull at times.
for me I don’t think people hate the story for the story but rather for how they delivered it. Because I can stand back and actually enjoy the path 343 went with the halo story but how they delivered it I can’t say I’m stoked about it