Halo 5 is pay to win?

First off, Warzone is technically 100% pay to win, because pay to win means the person who spends money on a game will have an unfair advantage over the person who doesn’t. Since buying REQ packs in Halo 5 gives weapons that can be used in Warzone, there is no question about it. However, what I want to know is whether people think that Warzone is too much so. Don’t forget that the money spent on REQ packs goes towards prize money for global Halo championships. Is Warzone so pay to win that it hurts the experience? Or is it barely noticeable? Do I have to spend money to get Nornfang? Post your opinions below. I don’t think so, because it’s clear that Warzone is not designed to be super-competitive like Arena. I mean, come on. There are literally RANDOM WEAPONS AND VEHICLES. Doesn’t that tell you that Warzone is designed more for fun than for competition? With that in mind, Warzone being pay to win becomes more acceptable. Also, I don’t think that Warzone is extremely pay to win anyway. REQ pack rewards are random, the game lasts longer than your upgraded banshee or SAW or whatever, and most of your engagements will be BR vs BR, which comes down to skill. I think that, on paper, it is pay to win, but in practice, money spent will have little to no affect on the majority of matches you play.

It’s pay to win if you want a clear advantage over your competition with your wallet… But really, it’s a video game. Hopefully people aren’t spending their money on something we’ll all stop playing in a year from now anyway! Haha… I think skill will almost always still win out against your bank account though, so really, it balances out. Arena is where the real challenge and tournament players will be spending their time.

Seems the only way to get weapons and vehicles is through having a certification for them.
And to even get certifications in the first place you have to unbox a ton of crates.

So I either spend like $20 for the gigantic pack of crates, or grind for days straight. Pretty pay to win to me.

In my opinion, it isnt that bad but I just dont like Req Packs, everything is just random and you cant unlock stuff otherwise and Micro Transactions in a full Price game arent that great.
And if you have a good Team the enemy Team has no Chance, it doesnt matter if they have 4-5 tanks, they will lose.

> 2533274870704119;4:
> In my opinion, it isnt that bad but I just dont like Req Packs, everything is just random and you cant unlock stuff otherwise and Micro Transactions in a full Price game arent that great.
> And if you have a good Team the enemy Team has no Chance, it doesnt matter if they have 4-5 tanks, they will lose.

Yeah, I heard somebody mention an idea I really liked. They said that Halo 5 would do better with Halo Reach’s system, where you earn credits to spend on specific unlocks. I think that could work with REQ’s, assuming everything was appropriately priced. (Odds are I still wouldn’t get Nornfang)

I think it’s more along the lines of “Grind 2 Win.”

To establish a definition, I’m going to define “Pay 2 Win” as meaning that the player who pays real money has superior performance in battle over a non-paying player of equal skill. It doesn’t have be to an automatic win, but it still qualifies as “P2W” since superior equipment will increase the probability of winning. For example, a special premium-only gun in Battlefield: Heroes that has more damage and critical hit damage than a free gun is Pay 2 Win.

Back to Halo 5, the Req system is currently set up such that all Reqs can be acquired for “free,” albeit with a lot of time invested. So you can get your Phaetons, Helljumpers, Nornfangs, everything, by just grinding the midnight oil. There aren’t any premium-exclusive Reqs, and all Reqs have identical performance regardless of whether they are acquired by RP or $$$. If there were premium-exclusive items that had a combat advantage over free items, it would definitely qualify for the definition of P2W. But it doesn’t, so it’s not.

An Oni Scorpion acts the same whether you got it from grinding or by credit card. A Selene’s Lance that you buy with real money doesn’t perform any better or worse than a Selene’s Lance from earning it normally. Etc. Thus, the player putting in real cash does not have higher match performance than a freemium player of the same skill using the same Reqs, hence not P2W.

Don’t take this as me liking or condoning the system, because there are quite a few issues caused by it. I just don’t think that P2W is among those issues.

> 2533274798308160;5:
> > 2533274870704119;4:
> > In my opinion, it isnt that bad but I just dont like Req Packs, everything is just random and you cant unlock stuff otherwise and Micro Transactions in a full Price game arent that great.
> > And if you have a good Team the enemy Team has no Chance, it doesnt matter if they have 4-5 tanks, they will lose.
>
>
> Yeah, I heard somebody mention an idea I really liked. They said that Halo 5 would do better with Halo Reach’s system, where you earn credits to spend on specific unlocks. I think that could work with REQ’s, assuming everything was appropriately priced. (Odds are I still wouldn’t get Nornfang)

The System from Reach was good and it also had way more customization Options and you could unlock stuff that you wanted.

> 2533274835072493;6:
> I think it’s more along the lines of “Grind 2 Win.”
>
> To establish a definition, I’m going to definite “Pay 2 Win” as meaning that the player who pays real money has superior performance in battle over a non-paying player of equal skill. It doesn’t have be to an automatic win, but it still qualifies as “P2W” since superior equipment will increase the probability of winning.
>
> Back to Halo 5, the Req system is currently set up such that all Reqs can be acquired for “free,” albeit with a lot of time invested. So you can get your Phaetons, Helljumpers, Nornfangs, everything, by just grinding the midnight oil. There aren’t any premium-exclusive Reqs, and all Reqs have identical performance regardless of whether they are acquired by RP or $$$. If there were premium-exclusive items that had a combat advantage over free items, it would definitely qualify for the definition of P2W. But it doesn’t, so it’s not.
>
> An Oni Scorpion acts the same whether you got it from grinding or by credit card. A Selene’s Lance that you buy with real money doesn’t perform any better or worse than a Selene’s Lance from earning it normally. Etc. Thus, the player putting in real cash does not have higher match performance than a freemium player of the same skill using the same Reqs, hence not P2W.
>
> Don’t take this as me liking or condoning the system, because there are quite a few issues caused by it. I just don’t think that P2W is among those issues.

I agree, but Halo 5 is still pay-to-win because if we assume that the paying player and the non-paying player play for equal amounts of time (which they should on average) then the paying player will have an advantage for obvious reasons. Thus Warzone, in a small way at least, is pay to win.

> 2533274870704119;7:
> > 2533274798308160;5:
> > > 2533274870704119;4:
> > > In my opinion, it isnt that bad but I just dont like Req Packs, everything is just random and you cant unlock stuff otherwise and Micro Transactions in a full Price game arent that great.
> > > And if you have a good Team the enemy Team has no Chance, it doesnt matter if they have 4-5 tanks, they will lose.
> >
> >
> > Yeah, I heard somebody mention an idea I really liked. They said that Halo 5 would do better with Halo Reach’s system, where you earn credits to spend on specific unlocks. I think that could work with REQ’s, assuming everything was appropriately priced. (Odds are I still wouldn’t get Nornfang)
>
>
> The System from Reach was good and it also had way more customization Options and you could unlock stuff that you wanted.

I would honestly be happy if 343 implemented it right now.

> 2533274920358788;2:
> It’s pay to win if you want a clear advantage over your competition with your wallet… But really, it’s a video game. Hopefully people aren’t spending their money on something we’ll all stop playing in a year from now anyway! Haha… I think skill will almost always still win out against your bank account though, so really, it balances out. Arena is where the real challenge and tournament players will be spending their time.

Yeah. Paying gives an advantage, but it’s a small one.

It’s pay to win.

Example,
Step 1: get all your fireteam to buy everything. Even if you are crap at the game. Step 2: Come level 3 and everyone uses a ghost ultra.
Step 3: REQ the enemy team.
Step 4: Profit…well. It really because you paid for everything.

> 2533274819302824;3:
> Seems the only way to get weapons and vehicles is through having a certification for them.
> And to even get certifications in the first place you have to unbox a ton of crates.
>
> So I either spend like $20 for the gigantic pack of crates, or grind for days straight. Pretty pay to win to me.

Well, if you are smart with your REQ purchases (buy Bronze, then Silver, then Gold packs) you can do pretty well, but yes, the grind for certifications if you don’t pay is tough.

> 2533274798308160;9:
> > 2533274870704119;7:
> > > 2533274798308160;5:
> > > > 2533274870704119;4:
> > > > In my opinion, it isnt that bad but I just dont like Req Packs, everything is just random and you cant unlock stuff otherwise and Micro Transactions in a full Price game arent that great.
> > > > And if you have a good Team the enemy Team has no Chance, it doesnt matter if they have 4-5 tanks, they will lose.
> > >
> > >
> > > Yeah, I heard somebody mention an idea I really liked. They said that Halo 5 would do better with Halo Reach’s system, where you earn credits to spend on specific unlocks. I think that could work with REQ’s, assuming everything was appropriately priced. (Odds are I still wouldn’t get Nornfang)
> >
> >
> > The System from Reach was good and it also had way more customization Options and you could unlock stuff that you wanted.
>
>
> I would honestly be happy if 343 implemented it right now.

Agree for Halo 6 they should add a System like in Reach.

> 2533274809094834;11:
> It’s pay to win.
>
> Example,
> Step 1: get all your fireteam to buy everything. Even if you are crap at the game. Step 2: Come level 3 and everyone uses a ghost ultra.
> Step 3: REQ the enemy team.
> Step 4: Profit…well. It really because you paid for everything.

First off, I like that pun.
Second off, a Ghost Ultra is level 4, although it doesn’t change your point.
Also, it is hard to find 12 people, all of whom have ghost ultras and can play at one time.
But you and others are starting to convince me that Warzone is more pay to win than I thought… Thank you.

> 2533274870704119;13:
> > 2533274798308160;9:
> > > 2533274870704119;7:
> > > > 2533274798308160;5:
> > > > > 2533274870704119;4:
> > > > > In my opinion, it isnt that bad but I just dont like Req Packs, everything is just random and you cant unlock stuff otherwise and Micro Transactions in a full Price game arent that great.
> > > > > And if you have a good Team the enemy Team has no Chance, it doesnt matter if they have 4-5 tanks, they will lose.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Yeah, I heard somebody mention an idea I really liked. They said that Halo 5 would do better with Halo Reach’s system, where you earn credits to spend on specific unlocks. I think that could work with REQ’s, assuming everything was appropriately priced. (Odds are I still wouldn’t get Nornfang)
> > >
> > >
> > > The System from Reach was good and it also had way more customization Options and you could unlock stuff that you wanted.
> >
> >
> > I would honestly be happy if 343 implemented it right now.
>
>
> Agree for Halo 6 they should add a System like in Reach.

That would be good. 343 notice us pls.

I don’t think it’s pay-to-win. You can buy all the REQ packs you like but most people will earn enough, at no cost, just by playing the game to have all the REQ packs they could ever need in Warzone.

I suppose if you had a team full of people that all purchased loads of gold packs vs a team of players that never bought any packs then the advantage might start to become apparent, but realistically very few people pay for packs. I would hazard a guess at one or two players per match in Warzone which is probably not enough to influence the result of the game.

Oh great another one of these threads… sigh

This game is not pay to win people -_-

> 2533274809094834;11:
> It’s pay to win.
>
> Example,
> Step 1: get all your fireteam to buy everything. Even if you are crap at the game. Step 2: Come level 3 and everyone uses a ghost ultra.
> Step 3: REQ the enemy team.
> Step 4: Profit…well. It really because you paid for everything.

You can do all of that even by grinding out points. There’s no pay to win cuz you have to 1. Not get spawn killed calling in your req 2. You pull out a tank? Cool, let me just get on its back and plant this grenade cuz it really isn’t that hard 3. Everyone has the ability to get everything, there’s no exclusives to it. Pay to win is getting something nobody else can get that gives you that advantage over them. 4. You’re matched with other players based off you’re reqs anyways.

Edit 5. Also when it comes to vehicles your team can only have so many on the field before you hit the limit so its not like all 12 players can pull out banshees or tanks.

> 2533274798308160;14:
> > 2533274809094834;11:
> > It’s pay to win.
> >
> > Example,
> > Step 1: get all your fireteam to buy everything. Even if you are crap at the game. Step 2: Come level 3 and everyone uses a ghost ultra.
> > Step 3: REQ the enemy team.
> > Step 4: Profit…well. It really because you paid for everything.
>
>
> First off, I like that pun.
> Second off, a Ghost Ultra is level 4, although it doesn’t change your point.
> Also, it is hard to find 12 people, all of whom have ghost ultras and can play at one time.
> But you and others are starting to convince me that Warzone is more pay to win than I thought… Thank you.

Glad to be of service :slight_smile: happy REQoning.
or paytowinnoning :stuck_out_tongue:

It isn’t even a Ranked Playlist so anyone buying Reqs with the sole purpose of Winning Warzone games needs some evaluation. People don’t buy Reqs to win Warzone games so the can be Ranked Warzone Warlord lol Edit. If it was Ranked then my statement would become invalid