Halo 5 is not Handholding

A lot of people have been turned off by some new features in Halo 5 such as weapon spawn timers and the announcing of their arrival (“10 seconds to Sniper Rifle!”). A lot of these people brand this as hand holding and dumbing the game down.

What’s ironic is that in pro settings, players actually have laptops open right beside them to see when the weapons respawn. Is it really a skill to keep track of timers? It sure doesn’t sound fun to have to remember that. Your focus as a player should be in the gameplay itself. I think people are getting a bit crazy when they say that this is hand holding. Let me answer a particular question that will explain why Halo 5 isn’t hand holding.

What’s the difference between hand holding and accessibility?

Accessibility in this case is all players, noobs and vets, being aware of what is happening and what they should be doing. So now new players know that the Sniper Rifle is coming back in 30 seconds and where it’s going to be, that’s it. It’s not like the announcer is slipping them Promethean Vision. They still have to take action and fight for said weapons. Lets look at an example of this happening in-game: Noob sees that the Rocket Launcher is coming back soon. Noob goes to the spot to grab it and gets stomped by a better player. Just because he knows where to go and when, it doesn’t give him any sort of advantage, not when everyone has access to the same information that he does. If you still think this is handholding then you might as well petition 343 to remove the visuals for hill locations in Strongholds or remove the flag locations off the HUD in CTF because it wouldn’t be right if everyone knew where the objectives were.

Hand holding is when players are given an undeserved crutch to help them win against better players. Before you go into full super saiyan keyboard warrior mode, you should realize that this isn’t the same thing. I’ll provide a few examples to prove this. A great example of hand holding in Halo is the Boltshot in Halo 4. It gives less experienced players a chance to one-shot kill any player that gets near them with very little effort and they can spawn with it. That’s the major issue with the Boltshot. Another example is Armor Lock in Reach. Players can become completely invulnerable to all damage for at least a few seconds and create an EMP effect which disables any nearby player’s shields and even deactivates nearby vehicles for a short time. What do players need to do to be able to use this powerful ability? Nothing, every player is able to spawn with it and use it to their heart’s content.

As you can see, there is a massive difference between handholding and accessibility.

TLDR: Basic information that is required to play the game should be available to ALL players. Basic information includes but is not limited to: markers to indicate which direction you’re taking damage from, location of objectives, location and timers of key weapon spawns, what gun you’re holding, how much ammo you have, how much shields/health you have, how many grenades you have and HUD pop-ups to show context sensitive information (hold X to board vehicle, hold RB to detach turret).

How is being told everything in the game every 5 seconds not hand-holding? As for the marker timer well it’s not likely to help the noobs because the pro’s will use this to their advantage which means the new players will never be able to this to their advantage if the other team are at least decent. There’s a big difference between letting them know where a flag location is and telling the player everything. Plus having a flag location helps the game-flow while having everything tagged makes the game feel cluttered.

343i’s problem is too much information, the game should make people adapt to different situations without being told everything but there needs to be some indication of what to do or people would never have a clue what to do in games like Oddball if nobody know who had the ball. I shouldn’t need to know what weapon someone is using because Halo games should teach people to scout them out and learn to adapt to different situations because having everything given to the players requires no skill and practically is less fun.

> 2533274829873463;2:
> How is being told everything in the game every 5 seconds not hand-holding? As for the marker timer well it’s not likely to help the noobs because the pro’s will use this to their advantage which means the new players will never be able to this to their advantage if the other team are at least decent. There’s a big difference between letting them know where a flag location is and telling the player everything. Plus having a flag location helps the game-flow while having everything tagged makes the game feel cluttered.
>
> 343i’s problem is too much information, the game should make people adapt to different situations without being told everything but there needs to be some indication of what to do or people would never have a clue what to do in games like Oddball if nobody know who had the ball. I shouldn’t need to know what weapon someone is using because Halo games should teach people to scout them out and learn to adapt to different situations because having everything given to the players requires no skill and practically is less fun.

I agree that clutter is a problem. Having too much information can be a bad thing and ultimately destroy the designer’s intentions of helping the player.

As for having everything given to them? I don’t understand what you’re talking about. Showing the player a gun’s location isn’t giving them the gun. It’s just showing them. Everyone knows where the gun is, it’s up to them to play correctly and better than their opponents to obtain the weapon.

I don’t mind the countdown, but it’s too often it is announced. Maybe 30 seconds before the weapon spawns and that’s it, no waypoint or anything.

> 2533274898131165;4:
> I don’t mind the countdown, but it’s too often it is announced. Maybe 30 seconds before the weapon spawns and that’s it, no waypoint or anything.

As long as the announcing doesn’t overlap like in the beta. He would announce both “Power Weapons in 30!” and “Sniper Rifles in 30!” and that’s way too much. Especially when it’s counted down multiple times until they spawn.

As for it’s location indicator, I think it’s fine the way it is.

I don’t really think it’s handholding. I killed noobs just camping on top of the power weapon spawn many, many times in the beta.

> 2533274833600810;1:
> Hand holding is when players are given an undeserved crutch to help them win against better players.

How does being told when and where power weapons spawn not fall into that category lol?

> 2533274832290972;6:
> I don’t really think it’s handholding. I killed noobs just camping on top of the power weapon spawn many, many times in the beta.

wait were you camping or the noobs?

> 2535458654857735;7:
> > 2533274833600810;1:
> > Hand holding is when players are given an undeserved crutch to help them win against better players.
>
>
> How does being told when and where power weapons spawn not fall into that category lol?

Because the pro players are also aware of that fact… and likely use it to wait for people to run up to the power weapon before taking them out

Even as someone who generally dislikes Halo 5, I have never seen any real issue with the weapon timers themselves. Constant announcements when weapon spawns overlap can get a little annoying, but I have no issues with timers themselves.

Knowledgeable teams will be setup or attempting to setup for power weapons before the first announcement even starts. All the timers do is help teach players what they should be going for. Timing is not a significant skill, especially now when that knowledge can be gained from a quick internet search or zooming through Forge. Even at high level play, the use of ‘coaches’ has been allowed who keep track of power weapons/items among other things. That’s not even including the out of game timers players have been using.

There are far more significant issues with Halo 5 than timers.

> 2533274844984484;8:
> > 2533274832290972;6:
> > I don’t really think it’s handholding. I killed noobs just camping on top of the power weapon spawn many, many times in the beta.
>
>
> wait were you camping or the noobs?

The noobs. Sometimes I would get to the spawns halfway through the countdown and there would be noobs just crouching on the little hologram.