Halo 5 infection potentially unbalanced

We have all been asking for infection in halo 5 and I am confident that it will be implemented into the game eventually. However I feel it could be unbalanced. The zombies may be at a severe disadvantage because the magnum is actually a good weapon in halo 5 and it is very easy to get headshot with it. I could potentially see the Spartans just laying waste to the zombies for an entire round. Do you guys think there could be balancing issue with halo 5 infection?

We could just play without swagnums, or turn off headshots.

That’s why they have professional game designers! People go to school to learn how to deal with issues such as these. I believe they will tweak the game mode to work very well. Whether it’s giving the zombies some kind of buff, or not giving the humans pistols to start with. We may even see that varying flood form idea. A bullet sponge form, a quick form, or a high damage/low Health form. I say we wait until the mode is released to worry over the balance issues. It’s a non issue at this point (:

I wouldn’t count on infection.

The settings can be tweaked, you know. Not to mention we’ll probably get different variants if/when it hits Matchmaking.

I always felt Flood was the better designed mode as far as balancing and player skill is concerned, and I’d actually prefer it to be included within Halo 5 over classic-style Infection. People constantly hate against Flood just that the game it was implemented in (Halo 4) was pretty awful as a whole. People tend to automatically despise anything associated with that game, but it wasn’t ALL awful, just most things were, but there were some positive elements that the game could offer, whether the overall package is bad or not.

Think about classic Infection. The Zombies are just underpowered in literally every way. I mean, they move 20% faster and jump a little higher, but it’s not that massive of a difference to matter when you can die in one shot. The Pistol is a rapid-fire, instant-hit, one-shot kill weapon with pinpoint accuracy if used correctly. The only defense that the Zombies have against that is the Evade, but once they roll, they are caught hanging in the air for a very brief moment, where it’s extremely easy to one-shot them in that moment. So really, their only defense can be easily used against them. So the zombies’ movement doesn’t really matter too much, so what do they really have above the humans? Not sheer numbers, they start out with only 2 players. Not close range advantage, because the Shotgun usually beats the Sword in every conceivable aspect (except in Halo 4 where you could sprint actively with the Sword and never get slowed down by enemy gunfire).

Really, classic Infection was just a game of camping. The Pistol was easy to use and if you camped in the right area with a second person, you could easily prevent ANY zombie from getting in lunge range. And even without the Pistol, camping in a corner with the Shotty was always an easy strategy. The Zombies did not have the abilities necessary to counter that of the humans’, aside from having unlimited lives. So wait, a player has to constantly die to no end and wait till he gets lucky, just because the game doesn’t want to put both sides on a fair playing field? That’s ridiculous. There is relatively little skill on the human side of things.

But with Flood, the humans actually had to face a greater challenge. The Flood had insanely mobility which required the human players to have amazing twitch reflex and alertness. The skill ceiling was overall higher. Part of balancing is keeping things two-sided. If one side of the match is ever allowed to use less skill than the other side, then it’s unbalanced. Skill should always be required equally from both sides. Classic Infection did not offer this, it was always poorly balanced in this aspect.

Infection should be permanently ditched. Bring back Flood and focus on perfecting that. What advantage does Infection have over Flood? No one ever answers this. It’s always either someone rudely laughing for praising a gametype from Halo 4, or the answer is just “more customization”. But the same can easily apply to Flood if they brought it back and added more options, so that’s not even really a valid argument regarding Infection vs. Flood.

TL;DR - Flood is better than infection. Bring that back instead.

> 2535461821732932;6:
> I always felt Flood was the better designed mode as far as balancing and player skill is concerned, and I’d actually prefer it to be included within Halo 5 over classic-style Infection. People constantly hate against Flood just that the game it was implemented in (Halo 4) was pretty awful as a whole. People tend to automatically despise anything associated with that game, but it wasn’t ALL awful, just most things were, but there were some positive elements that the game could offer, whether the overall package is bad or not.
>
> Think about classic Infection. The Zombies are just underpowered in literally every way. I mean, they move 20% faster and jump a little higher, but it’s not that massive of a difference to matter when you can die in one shot. The Pistol is a rapid-fire, instant-hit, one-shot kill weapon with pinpoint accuracy if used correctly. The only defense that the Zombies have against that is the Evade, but once they roll, they are caught hanging in the air for a very brief moment, where it’s extremely easy to one-shot them in that moment. So really, their only defense can be easily used against them. So the zombies’ movement doesn’t really matter too much, so what do they really have above the humans? Not sheer numbers, they start out with only 2 players. Not close range advantage, because the Shotgun usually beats the Sword in every conceivable aspect (except in Halo 4 where you could sprint actively with the Sword and never get slowed down by enemy gunfire).
>
> Really, classic Infection was just a game of camping. The Pistol was easy to use and if you camped in the right area with a second person, you could easily prevent ANY zombie from getting in lunge range. And even without the Pistol, camping in a corner with the Shotty was always an easy strategy. The Zombies did not have the abilities necessary to counter that of the humans’, aside from having unlimited lives. So wait, a player has to constantly die to no end and wait till he gets lucky, just because the game doesn’t want to put both sides on a fair playing field? That’s ridiculous. There is relatively little skill on the human side of things.
>
> But with Flood, the humans actually had to face a greater challenge. The Flood had insanely mobility which required the human players to have amazing twitch reflex and alertness. The skill ceiling was overall higher. Part of balancing is keeping things two-sided. If one side of the match is ever allowed to use less skill than the other side, then it’s unbalanced. Skill should always be required equally from both sides. Classic Infection did not offer this, it was always poorly balanced in this aspect.
>
> Infection should be permanently ditched. Bring back Flood and focus on perfecting that. What advantage does Infection have over Flood? No one ever answers this. It’s always either someone rudely laughing for praising a gametype from Halo 4, or the answer is just “more customization”. But the same can easily apply to Flood if they brought it back and added more options, so that’s not even really a valid argument regarding Infection vs. Flood.
>
> TL;DR - Flood is better than infection. Bring that back instead.

No it isn’t, you just want flying ninja donkey’s back.

its the point of Zombiez / infection , its a way to get high multi kills easy and everybody only plays it to be humans and are fine doing the zombies for the potentil revarde of killstreaks and multikills . atleat it was like this in h2

Well if you have maps that utilize the clamber, like a cliff face to escape the Infected, you could see some awesome games. People shooting down the cliff, and trying to cover people as they climb,or be total dickbags and leave them to get eaten by lunging infected. As well as slide, using closing doors to block the path of the infected… and living, and sliding underneath for an awesome getaway. Only to be cut down by alternate routes!!

Trait tweak them, movement, health, abilities etc

> 2533274925960280;7:
> > 2535461821732932;6:
> > I always felt Flood was the better designed mode as far as balancing and player skill is concerned, and I’d actually prefer it to be included within Halo 5 over classic-style Infection. People constantly hate against Flood just that the game it was implemented in (Halo 4) was pretty awful as a whole. People tend to automatically despise anything associated with that game, but it wasn’t ALL awful, just most things were, but there were some positive elements that the game could offer, whether the overall package is bad or not.
> >
> > Think about classic Infection. The Zombies are just underpowered in literally every way. I mean, they move 20% faster and jump a little higher, but it’s not that massive of a difference to matter when you can die in one shot. The Pistol is a rapid-fire, instant-hit, one-shot kill weapon with pinpoint accuracy if used correctly. The only defense that the Zombies have against that is the Evade, but once they roll, they are caught hanging in the air for a very brief moment, where it’s extremely easy to one-shot them in that moment. So really, their only defense can be easily used against them. So the zombies’ movement doesn’t really matter too much, so what do they really have above the humans? Not sheer numbers, they start out with only 2 players. Not close range advantage, because the Shotgun usually beats the Sword in every conceivable aspect (except in Halo 4 where you could sprint actively with the Sword and never get slowed down by enemy gunfire).
> >
> > Really, classic Infection was just a game of camping. The Pistol was easy to use and if you camped in the right area with a second person, you could easily prevent ANY zombie from getting in lunge range. And even without the Pistol, camping in a corner with the Shotty was always an easy strategy. The Zombies did not have the abilities necessary to counter that of the humans’, aside from having unlimited lives. So wait, a player has to constantly die to no end and wait till he gets lucky, just because the game doesn’t want to put both sides on a fair playing field? That’s ridiculous. There is relatively little skill on the human side of things.
> >
> > But with Flood, the humans actually had to face a greater challenge. The Flood had insanely mobility which required the human players to have amazing twitch reflex and alertness. The skill ceiling was overall higher. Part of balancing is keeping things two-sided. If one side of the match is ever allowed to use less skill than the other side, then it’s unbalanced. Skill should always be required equally from both sides. Classic Infection did not offer this, it was always poorly balanced in this aspect.
> >
> > Infection should be permanently ditched. Bring back Flood and focus on perfecting that. What advantage does Infection have over Flood? No one ever answers this. It’s always either someone rudely laughing for praising a gametype from Halo 4, or the answer is just “more customization”. But the same can easily apply to Flood if they brought it back and added more options, so that’s not even really a valid argument regarding Infection vs. Flood.
> >
> > TL;DR - Flood is better than infection. Bring that back instead.
>
>
> No it isn’t, you just want flying ninja donkey’s back.

And you fail to provide an argument that actually debunks my point. “No it isn’t”, that’s not a valid argument. Anyone can say “yes” or “no”, that’s easy, but explaining things and showing your viewpoint holds weight, that’s another story.

Mindless “spectacle” doesn’t really mean that much to me, all I care about is the level of skill and depth offered by the gameplay. And by the way, I actually didn’t really care for the Flood’s appearance or sounds, I actually found that pretty goofy myself.

How is it that people think the Zombies will be at a disadvantage this time? Even in Halo 2, the magnum was easy to use with a high rate of fire, it was just weak (though it could still be a 1sk on an unshielded opponent). Not only that, but they also didn’t have any special traits that the humans didn’t have.

In Infection somebody always slips up and gets killed. And if they retain all the movement options in Halo 5, they’ll be fine (maybe even overpowered).

HALO 5 INFECTION POTENTIALLY NOT ARRIVING

It’ll be fine. Juat give the Zombies a weak shield. Or Myabe they wont need it. With the sword movement bonus on all the Zombies they’ll be moving pretty fast.

…Then just don’t give the survivors team Magnums. Give them Shotties or ARs or something.

> 2535461821732932;6:
> I always felt Flood was the better designed mode as far as balancing and player skill is concerned, and I’d actually prefer it to be included within Halo 5 over classic-style Infection. People constantly hate against Flood just that the game it was implemented in (Halo 4) was pretty awful as a whole. People tend to automatically despise anything associated with that game, but it wasn’t ALL awful, just most things were, but there were some positive elements that the game could offer, whether the overall package is bad or not.
>
> Think about classic Infection. The Zombies are just underpowered in literally every way. I mean, they move 20% faster and jump a little higher, but it’s not that massive of a difference to matter when you can die in one shot. The Pistol is a rapid-fire, instant-hit, one-shot kill weapon with pinpoint accuracy if used correctly. The only defense that the Zombies have against that is the Evade, but once they roll, they are caught hanging in the air for a very brief moment, where it’s extremely easy to one-shot them in that moment. So really, their only defense can be easily used against them. So the zombies’ movement doesn’t really matter too much, so what do they really have above the humans? Not sheer numbers, they start out with only 2 players. Not close range advantage, because the Shotgun usually beats the Sword in every conceivable aspect (except in Halo 4 where you could sprint actively with the Sword and never get slowed down by enemy gunfire).
>
> Really, classic Infection was just a game of camping. The Pistol was easy to use and if you camped in the right area with a second person, you could easily prevent ANY zombie from getting in lunge range. And even without the Pistol, camping in a corner with the Shotty was always an easy strategy. The Zombies did not have the abilities necessary to counter that of the humans’, aside from having unlimited lives. So wait, a player has to constantly die to no end and wait till he gets lucky, just because the game doesn’t want to put both sides on a fair playing field? That’s ridiculous. There is relatively little skill on the human side of things.
>
> But with Flood, the humans actually had to face a greater challenge. The Flood had insanely mobility which required the human players to have amazing twitch reflex and alertness. The skill ceiling was overall higher. Part of balancing is keeping things two-sided. If one side of the match is ever allowed to use less skill than the other side, then it’s unbalanced. Skill should always be required equally from both sides. Classic Infection did not offer this, it was always poorly balanced in this aspect.
>
> Infection should be permanently ditched. Bring back Flood and focus on perfecting that. What advantage does Infection have over Flood? No one ever answers this. It’s always either someone rudely laughing for praising a gametype from Halo 4, or the answer is just “more customization”. But the same can easily apply to Flood if they brought it back and added more options, so that’s not even really a valid argument regarding Infection vs. Flood.
>
> TL;DR - Flood is better than infection. Bring that back instead.

Flood wasnt hated for how it played; its biggest flaw was the customization that was lost, hurting the variety available in custom games. They can make the settings in Matchmaking whatever they want that works. However, they are shooting themselves in the foot if they give us butchered customization again. They need to build off of H2A, which actually solved the issue regarding the flood models wielding only one weapon.

Anyway, I enjoyed Hivemind over the default Flood.

> 2533274828236493;16:
> > 2535461821732932;6:
> > I always felt Flood was the better designed mode as far as balancing and player skill is concerned, and I’d actually prefer it to be included within Halo 5 over classic-style Infection. People constantly hate against Flood just that the game it was implemented in (Halo 4) was pretty awful as a whole. People tend to automatically despise anything associated with that game, but it wasn’t ALL awful, just most things were, but there were some positive elements that the game could offer, whether the overall package is bad or not.
> >
> > Think about classic Infection. The Zombies are just underpowered in literally every way. I mean, they move 20% faster and jump a little higher, but it’s not that massive of a difference to matter when you can die in one shot. The Pistol is a rapid-fire, instant-hit, one-shot kill weapon with pinpoint accuracy if used correctly. The only defense that the Zombies have against that is the Evade, but once they roll, they are caught hanging in the air for a very brief moment, where it’s extremely easy to one-shot them in that moment. So really, their only defense can be easily used against them. So the zombies’ movement doesn’t really matter too much, so what do they really have above the humans? Not sheer numbers, they start out with only 2 players. Not close range advantage, because the Shotgun usually beats the Sword in every conceivable aspect (except in Halo 4 where you could sprint actively with the Sword and never get slowed down by enemy gunfire).
> >
> > Really, classic Infection was just a game of camping. The Pistol was easy to use and if you camped in the right area with a second person, you could easily prevent ANY zombie from getting in lunge range. And even without the Pistol, camping in a corner with the Shotty was always an easy strategy. The Zombies did not have the abilities necessary to counter that of the humans’, aside from having unlimited lives. So wait, a player has to constantly die to no end and wait till he gets lucky, just because the game doesn’t want to put both sides on a fair playing field? That’s ridiculous. There is relatively little skill on the human side of things.
> >
> > But with Flood, the humans actually had to face a greater challenge. The Flood had insanely mobility which required the human players to have amazing twitch reflex and alertness. The skill ceiling was overall higher. Part of balancing is keeping things two-sided. If one side of the match is ever allowed to use less skill than the other side, then it’s unbalanced. Skill should always be required equally from both sides. Classic Infection did not offer this, it was always poorly balanced in this aspect.
> >
> > Infection should be permanently ditched. Bring back Flood and focus on perfecting that. What advantage does Infection have over Flood? No one ever answers this. It’s always either someone rudely laughing for praising a gametype from Halo 4, or the answer is just “more customization”. But the same can easily apply to Flood if they brought it back and added more options, so that’s not even really a valid argument regarding Infection vs. Flood.
> >
> > TL;DR - Flood is better than infection. Bring that back instead.
>
>
> Flood wasnt hated for how it played; its biggest flaw was the customization that was lost, hurting the variety available in custom games. They can make the settings in Matchmaking whatever they want that works. However, they are shooting themselves in the foot if they give us butchered customization again. They need to build off of H2A, which actually solved the issue regarding the flood models wielding only one weapon.
>
> Anyway, I enjoyed Hivemind over the default Flood.

Well, that’s actually one of the points I brought up in my post. The only valid reason people hate Flood is because the lack of customization. But is that really a reason to not bring back Flood? They can just bring back Flood and add the customization options this time, then it would pretty much be superior to classic Infection in every conceivable aspect, as the default gametype would be better too.

Personally though, regarding customization. Custom games should be focused on, yes, but that’s not the “main game”. Game nights are fun and chaotic, but they lack the level of substance or depth that can be provided through better designed built-in modes. So shouldn’t they improve upon the base game first-and-foremost, and THEN the user-created content?

I never really played much Hivemind though, can’t comment on that one. I played it at one point but I don’t exactly remember what it was.

> 2533274819567236;12:
> How is it that people think the Zombies will be at a disadvantage this time? Even in Halo 2, the magnum was easy to use with a high rate of fire, it was just weak (though it could still be a 1sk on an unshielded opponent). Not only that, but they also didn’t have any special traits that the humans didn’t have.
>
> In Infection somebody always slips up and gets killed. And if they retain all the movement options in Halo 5, they’ll be fine (maybe even overpowered).

I just find it funny that people are acting like unbalanced Infection would be anything new. Generally Reach’s Infection is people’s favorite, and that’s probably the most atrociously balanced mode throughout all of Halo’s history.

Then the infected should have much increase movement speed on top of increased movement speed from the energy sword.

> 2535461821732932;17:
> > 2533274828236493;16:
> > > 2535461821732932;6:
> > > I always felt Flood was the better designed mode as far as balancing and player skill is concerned, and I’d actually prefer it to be included within Halo 5 over classic-style Infection. People constantly hate against Flood just that the game it was implemented in (Halo 4) was pretty awful as a whole. People tend to automatically despise anything associated with that game, but it wasn’t ALL awful, just most things were, but there were some positive elements that the game could offer, whether the overall package is bad or not.
> > >
> > > Think about classic Infection. The Zombies are just underpowered in literally every way. I mean, they move 20% faster and jump a little higher, but it’s not that massive of a difference to matter when you can die in one shot. The Pistol is a rapid-fire, instant-hit, one-shot kill weapon with pinpoint accuracy if used correctly. The only defense that the Zombies have against that is the Evade, but once they roll, they are caught hanging in the air for a very brief moment, where it’s extremely easy to one-shot them in that moment. So really, their only defense can be easily used against them. So the zombies’ movement doesn’t really matter too much, so what do they really have above the humans? Not sheer numbers, they start out with only 2 players. Not close range advantage, because the Shotgun usually beats the Sword in every conceivable aspect (except in Halo 4 where you could sprint actively with the Sword and never get slowed down by enemy gunfire).
> > >
> > > Really, classic Infection was just a game of camping. The Pistol was easy to use and if you camped in the right area with a second person, you could easily prevent ANY zombie from getting in lunge range. And even without the Pistol, camping in a corner with the Shotty was always an easy strategy. The Zombies did not have the abilities necessary to counter that of the humans’, aside from having unlimited lives. So wait, a player has to constantly die to no end and wait till he gets lucky, just because the game doesn’t want to put both sides on a fair playing field? That’s ridiculous. There is relatively little skill on the human side of things.
> > >
> > > But with Flood, the humans actually had to face a greater challenge. The Flood had insanely mobility which required the human players to have amazing twitch reflex and alertness. The skill ceiling was overall higher. Part of balancing is keeping things two-sided. If one side of the match is ever allowed to use less skill than the other side, then it’s unbalanced. Skill should always be required equally from both sides. Classic Infection did not offer this, it was always poorly balanced in this aspect.
> > >
> > > Infection should be permanently ditched. Bring back Flood and focus on perfecting that. What advantage does Infection have over Flood? No one ever answers this. It’s always either someone rudely laughing for praising a gametype from Halo 4, or the answer is just “more customization”. But the same can easily apply to Flood if they brought it back and added more options, so that’s not even really a valid argument regarding Infection vs. Flood.
> > >
> > > TL;DR - Flood is better than infection. Bring that back instead.
> >
> >
> > Flood wasnt hated for how it played; its biggest flaw was the customization that was lost, hurting the variety available in custom games. They can make the settings in Matchmaking whatever they want that works. However, they are shooting themselves in the foot if they give us butchered customization again. They need to build off of H2A, which actually solved the issue regarding the flood models wielding only one weapon.
> >
> > Anyway, I enjoyed Hivemind over the default Flood.
>
>
> Well, that’s actually one of the points I brought up in my post. The only valid reason people hate Flood is because the lack of customization. But is that really a reason to not bring back Flood? They can just bring back Flood and add the customization options this time, then it would pretty much be superior to classic Infection in every conceivable aspect, as the default gametype would be better too.
>
> Personally though, regarding customization. Custom games should be focused on, yes, but that’s not the “main game”. Game nights are fun and chaotic, but they lack the level of substance or depth that can be provided through better designed built-in modes. So shouldn’t they improve upon the base game first-and-foremost, and THEN the user-created content?
>
> I never really played much Hivemind though, can’t comment on that one. I played it at one point but I don’t exactly remember what it was.

The base game is most important, yes, but there really was no reason for them to make Flood the way it was in Halo 4. The way it played was as simple as making your own custom gametypes; there’s nothing revolutionary there. We’ve been through that with Infection in Matchmaking for Halo 3 and Reach.

What we got was a custom infection mode that renamed the base game type and cut changeable options. That did nothing but hurt the game. Custom games in Halo are, in my opinion, more popular and important than they are in other shooters thanks to the customization and Halo’s unique gameplay.

I have more custom matches recorded on my service record in Reach than regular Matchmaking (Invasion unincluded). The state of custom games in Halo is very important for many people; it is a deal breaker for some and deserves a good deal of attention in development, something we haven’t seen since Reach.