Halo 5 - How to increase the longevity of the game

One of the problems of Halo 4 that was saw was the lack of longevity of the game. A lot of people quit the game because there was not enough to do (and other reasons) and this needs to be prevented with Halo 5. I would like to share some suggestion on how to make sure Halo 5 has long lifespan.

Map diversity plays a very important part in the longevity of a game. Halo Reach and 4 didn’t offer enough diversity in maps to keep people interested in the game for a very long time. Halo 3 on the other hand really kept people playing for years. The important part of map diversity is making maps that feel different from each other. They should not feel similar or the same, each map should be unique and should have a different feeling.

Map balance also plays an important part in the longevity of a game. Halo 5 needs to offer a good balance between 4v4 maps and BTB maps. The basic maps of Halo 4 offered more maps for BTB than 4v4 which is not a good thing and will reduce the longevity of a game. Halo 5 needs to offer a good amount of maps for both 4v4 and BTB and like mentioned above, all of them should feel different and unique.

Remixing maps is a possible solution in increasing the longevity of a game but it can NOT be a replacement for origininal variants. What I mean with this is that remix maps should not fill the gap of creating more unique/original maps, it should be an extra addition to the mapselection. Original and unique maps will add a lot more variety to a game than remix variants because they still have a similar feeling.

Believe it or not, but graphics can play a very big part in the longevity of a game. When a game looks unique and different it will keep you interested a lot longer than a game that looks similar to other games. At the moment, judging of the beta, Halo 5 is looking to similar to other games. Halo 5 looks more similar to other games because of the shine on a lot of objects and the bright lightning (including the sun). These graphical “problems” ( I don’t know what to call them) make the art look a lot less unique and special. The lack of colors on the maps also makes them look a lot less unique and different. Halo is not a realistic game meaning 343 has the freedom to make some beautiful and crazy art without having to make it look realistic, it just has to look beautiful and ofcourse needs to fit Halo.

A reduced skillgap also reduces the longevity of a game a lot. When people can easily do good at a game it will make them feel good when they start playing the game in the first weeks but when the time passes they are going to get bored because there is no challenge. At the moment the bullet magnetism in Halo 5 is too high making it easier to hit your target. This reduces the skillgap a lot and takes away from the challenge of improving your aim. The hitboxes are also too big making it easier to hit your target which heavily reduces the skillgap and again takes away from the challenge of improving your aim. Giving people a challenge and a way to improve their gameplay adds a lot of longevity to the game. Clamber is an addition to the game that in my and many others opinion reduces the skillgap of the game. Jumping in Halo always took more skill than in other games and the skill of jumping was already reduced with sprinting but clamber reduces it even more. I’m okay with it if it stays but if it’s an option to remove than I would highly suggest to remove it.

Armor Customization has always been an important part of Halo and should not be neglected in Halo 5. I hope it’s just because it’s a beta but the armor customization options we have at the moment are lacking. We need full spartan customization meaning we should be able to customize our helmet, chest, shoulders, forearms and legs. At the moment we can’t customize our shoulders, forearms and legs. Adding more difficult challenges to unlock armor in Halo 5 will also add longevity to the game because it will give people something to work for. Just ranking your SR-level is nothing but grinding but having some challenges to complete to unlock special armor will definitely add more variety and longevity to the game.

An obvious way to increase the longevity of Halo 5 is by adding a lot of gamemodes and a good online playlists selection. The playlists need to offer a good variety in gamemodes and mixes of gamemodes. A permanent DLC playlist is a must to support the DLC owners. In all previous Halo games it really felt like DLC owners were just ignored and didn’t get any option to play on the DLC maps.

Adding player created content and maps to Halo 5’s matchmaking is also a very good way to keep things fresh and interesting and will definitely add some cool and good new maps to the map selection. But again these maps and creations should not be a replacement of creating actual maps.

Custom Games has always been a big part of Halo and should definitely not be neglected this time. In Halo 4 the amount of options were a lot less compared to Halo:Reach. Halo 5 needs to offer tons of Custom Games options for people to play with so the community can create some awesome new gametypes and gametype variants.

Randomness can be a big factor in reducing the longevity of a game and this should be prevented no matter what. There are currently two random things in the game that need change. Spartan Charge is very random and doesn’t allow you as a player to assassinate someone when you are sprinting. Instead of assassinating someone you will do a tackle which is not always a kill. There is a big random factor with this ability and to be honest I rather want it to be removed instead of changing it since I prefer assassinating someone a lot more than tackling someone.

The second random factor in the game is the CSR ranking system. You never lose the same amount of points when you lose and never get the same amount of points when you win. I think this needs to change to consistent system so people can understand it easier. Matchmaking also needs to match players better with people of the same CSR rank because there are still plenty of times I get matched with players who are a lower skillrank.

These are all the suggestions I have for 343i on how to give Halo 5 a very long lifespan and I hope 343 uses these suggestions to make sure Halo 5 will be a game we will play for a very long time.

Bump for longevity

Please make sure to comment to let me know if you agree or not!

I agree with you, i cant believe your post is being ignored :confused:

naaah, just add bots. it will give you something to do with friends and help noobs get better. and things to do while internet it down or whateever, you could even choose the difficulty, it will only increase skill, not give them properties unless you modify the options.

1. Make a fun game.

The end

The game has to be fun and engaging without too many gimmicks…

Ohh… that’s right… this game already has too many gimmicks in it. I think it’s already game over.

I think the best way to increase the longevity of the game is to better utilize forge.

There needs to be a matchmaking playlist dedicated to community made content, along with a streamlined means for promoting user content to said playlist. Ideally, there would be a means of reviewing/ranking user content, so that good content is promoted to the top of the matchmaking probability, and bad content make less frequent. Maybe even a robust user feedback system, so individuals can provide feedback on what and why something is wrong with their map/gametype.

I think this would really breath a lot of life into the game, and with an active community, there would be an endless supply of new maps.

I think forge is a great idea, but without support from the matchamking system, 90% of user content goes unused, unseen, unappreciated. What is the point of spending countless hours building your “perfect” map if no one ever sees it? Forge is an untapped gold mine. I hope H5 taps it.

A plethora of content and features are the key to longevity. I think people would be surprised how little gameplay can matter when it comes to retaining a playerbase.

Far too may people focus on the mechanics of a game as the only selling point, as if there is an arbitrary amount of ‘new’ mechanics required in order to keep a game ‘fresh’.

Halo 3 was very similar to Halo 2 in a general sense(especially to the general audience), very little new was added from a gameplay standpoint. What makes Halo 3 stand out and what gave it such a healthy community were its features and content. Even more custom game options, 4 person theater for multi and campaign, forge(something that only improved in Halo 3 as time went on), armor customization for both Spartans and Elites, skulls(as a proper feature), scoring, terminals. Halo 3 was jam packed with things to do and the community was always making new things.

Now compare that to Titanfall a game that had huge hype surrounding its unique pilot/titan game mechanics. From a gameplay perspective it certainly was fresh, but once the game was actually released it fizzled out very quickly. It had nothing but MM and simple leveling to sustain it and now you hardly see anyone talking about it. For all the hype that surrounded it, it did not make the splash that many seemed to think it would and its all thanks to a lack of features to back up its gameplay.

It is even more amusing when you think about how it Titanfall must of shaken many of the shooter devs/publishers if Advanced Warfare and Halo 5 are anything to go by.

> 2533274832513510;4:
> I agree with you, i cant believe your post is being ignored :confused:

Well I know Kevin Franklin read it, he has been very kind to read all my feedback posts when I asked him to :slight_smile: But I agree this needs more major attention on this forum.

> 2533274819446242;9:
> A plethora of content and features are the key to longevity. I think people would be surprised how little gameplay can matter when it comes to retaining a playerbase.
>
> Far too may people focus on the mechanics of a game as the only selling point, as if there is an arbitrary amount of ‘new’ mechanics required in order to keep a game ‘fresh’.
>
> Halo 3 was very similar to Halo 2 in a general sense(especially to the general audience), very little new was added from a gameplay standpoint. What makes Halo 3 stand out and what gave it such a healthy community were its features and content. Even more custom game options, 4 person theater for multi and campaign, forge(something that only improved in Halo 3 as time went on), armor customization for both Spartans and Elites, skulls(as a proper feature), scoring, terminals. Halo 3 was jam packed with things to do and the community was always making new things.
>
> Now compare that to Titanfall a game that had huge hype surrounding its unique pilot/titan game mechanics. From a gameplay perspective it certainly was fresh, but once the game was actually released it fizzled out very quickly. It had nothing but MM and simple leveling to sustain it and now you hardly see anyone talking about it. For all the hype that surrounded it, it did not make the splash that many seemed to think it would and its all thanks to a lack of features to back up its gameplay.
>
> It is even more amusing when you think about how it Titanfall must of shaken many of the shooter devs/publishers if Advanced Warfare and Halo 5 are anything to go by.

Indeed, mechanics are nice but content creates the longevity. A good amount of good, fun and diverse maps, a good amount of weapons, a lot of gamemodes, tons of custom games options, a lot of armor customization unlocks and a big and extensive forge mode definitely add a lot of longevity to a game and will make people come back for more.

At the end it’s simple, Halo 5 needs tons of custom games options, a lot of good quality and diverse maps, lots of content to support matchmaking and ofcourse forge

They just need to bring back the options in customs from Halo 3 (Where the most were prevalent), as well as add their own. Boom, years of fun with people making maps and new gametypes. Assuming the core gameplay holds up.

Armor Customization from Reach would also be nice.

> 2610345319735860;8:
> I think the best way to increase the longevity of the game is to better utilize forge.
>
> There needs to be a matchmaking playlist dedicated to community made content, along with a streamlined means for promoting user content to said playlist. Ideally, there would be a means of reviewing/ranking user content, so that good content is promoted to the top of the matchmaking probability, and bad content make less frequent. Maybe even a robust user feedback system, so individuals can provide feedback on what and why something is wrong with their map/gametype.
>
> I think this would really breath a lot of life into the game, and with an active community, there would be an endless supply of new maps.
>
> I think forge is a great idea, but without support from the matchamking system, 90% of user content goes unused, unseen, unappreciated. What is the point of spending countless hours building your “perfect” map if no one ever sees it? Forge is an untapped gold mine. I hope H5 taps it.

Well in my opinion there are two “gimmick” features in the game, spartan charge and slide, they are there just to be there and do not improve gameplay.

> 2535471367604642;6:
> 1. Make a fun game.
>
> The end

didn’t work for titanfall

A option in matchmaking for custom games like Far Cry 4 would be great, because it was too hard for casual players to get in awesome customs

> 2533274870591903;14:
> > 2535471367604642;6:
> > 1. Make a fun game.
> >
> > The end
>
>
> didn’t work for titanfall

Titanfall was amazing. The problem was there was not enough game modes and the campaign lacked terribly. This lead people to feel like they had over paid. The devs will learn from this and I truly believe Titanfall 2 will be incredible and revolutionize next-gen gaming.

> 2533274850926786;16:
> > 2533274870591903;14:
> > > 2535471367604642;6:
> > > 1. Make a fun game.
> > >
> > > The end
> >
> >
> >
> > didn’t work for titanfall
>
>
> Titanfall was amazing. The problem was there was not enough game modes and the campaign lacked terribly. This lead people to feel like they had over paid. The devs will learn from this and I truly believe Titanfall 2 will be incredible and revolutionize next-gen gaming.

I agree and they released a ton of free content to increase the amount of content. I also believe Titanfall 2 will big a huge hit and a popular game for a very long time.

Bump

There is no point repeatedly bumping your thread Muscled.
You have made a carefully thought out and reasonable post that is full of reasonable things. Hardly anyone on waypoint comes for that.

Clickbait controversial title and an incoherent rant are the way to go if you want lots of interest.

I agree OP, longevity and everything you posted would help ensure Halo 5 sticks around. Not 1 mechanic. There are always a plethora of reasons.