Halo 5 Hinted to be Open World

Hey everyone, Josh Holmes just said something on Twitter that hints at Halo 5: Guardians being open world.

It sounds as if he’s making a joke, but I’m not so sure. Halo 5 could be open world with Master Chief, who is obviously looking for something. What do you think?

I don’t get why people want open world games so much. Destiny was an “open world” game. Was it a good game? No, the content it offered was extremely shallow and it was extremely light on story. Making a game open world doesn’t make it instantaneously better.

It can be linear, it can be open world or it can be something from between the two. It just has to be done well.

Although it wouldn’t hurt if it lasted longer than 6 hours this time around.

I’m going to guess it’ll be a mix between H2 and ODST’s campaign. Switching perspectives while going through an “open” level.

> 2533274881015020;2:
> I don’t get why people want open world games so much. Destiny was an “open world” game. Was it a good game? No, the content it offered was extremely shallow and it was extremely light on story. Making a game open world doesn’t make it instantaneously better.

Destiny, is not open world. Destiny is a series of about 5 larger hubs with absolutely nothing to do in them.

> 2533274845095818;5:
> > 2533274881015020;2:
> > I don’t get why people want open world games so much. Destiny was an “open world” game. Was it a good game? No, the content it offered was extremely shallow and it was extremely light on story. Making a game open world doesn’t make it instantaneously better.
>
>
>
> Destiny, is not open world. Destiny is a series of about 5 larger hubs with absolutely nothing to do in them.

Sounds a lot like an open world game, if you know what I mean. ;D

No, I get what you mean. As a game developer it feels like Bungie wanted to make as much of an open world game they could - within the hardware limitations of last gen systems (it’s a cross-gen game after all) and to the game design of Destiny. It’s not a true open world game, however (hence why I left it in “quotes”).

I’d love it to be openworld ODST style. Open world till you find a mission start point then a linear traditional mission. Also what does destiny failing have to do with halo.

> 2533274826317859;7:
> Also what does destiny failing have to do with halo.

If you actually bothered to read and retain what I said, you would understand that I was pointing out that open world game design (At least what Destiny is can be counted as to an extent in my book) doesn’t necessarily make games better than them being linear.

> 2533274881015020;2:
> I don’t get why people want open world games so much. Destiny was an “open world” game. Was it a good game? No, the content it offered was extremely shallow and it was extremely light on story. Making a game open world doesn’t make it instantaneously better.

Skyrim is open world and one of the best games of the decade.

Destiny is a textbook example of how to do open world 100% completely wrong.

I found Skyrim rather droll without mods, but that may be due to personal preference. I have, however, heard from my colleagues that Skyrim is not that great, though.

> 2533274881015020;10:
> I found Skyrim rather droll without mods, but that may be due to personal preference. I have, however, heard from my colleagues that Skyrim is not that great, though.

Really? I thought Skyrims open world offered plenty. I never even finished it because I kept getting distracted with other things in the world.

> 2533274828579555;11:
> > 2533274881015020;10:
> > I found Skyrim rather droll without mods, but that may be due to personal preference. I have, however, heard from my colleagues that Skyrim is not that great, though.
>
>
> Really? I thought Skyrims open world offered plenty. I never even finished it because I kept getting distracted with other things in the world.

Skyrim was a disappointment, as it failed to fix some of the most crucial flaws of Oblivion.

ODST is as open world as I’d care for.
A campaign that allows me multiple routes is better than on rails but only if properly done.

A main title Halo is not and should not ever be a MMO or MMOish

> 2533274822366750;12:
> > 2533274828579555;11:
> > > 2533274881015020;10:
> > > I found Skyrim rather droll without mods, but that may be due to personal preference. I have, however, heard from my colleagues that Skyrim is not that great, though.
> >
> >
> >
> > Really? I thought Skyrims open world offered plenty. I never even finished it because I kept getting distracted with other things in the world.
>
>
> Skyrim was a disappointment, as it failed to fix some of the most crucial flaws of Oblivion.

Opinion as fact? In this forum? no that would never happen!

I happened to rather enjoy skyrim, the only problems I had were that the controls were a little ‘chunky’ and the main story character levels didn’t scale up appropriately to my own level. By the time i got to the end of the main story, the battles were a joke because I had leveled up so much from the side-quests.

Minor gripes though overall, loved that game!

I hope that Halo 5 is not open world. Give us some options for the path we want to take, but keep it limited so we don’t spend too much time in the middle of nowhere and get sucked out of the story.

There are actually a bit more hints toward something like this happening than I remembered. Here are some of the scarce statements about H5 that are not directly related to just the multiplayer:

“Xbox One was an opportunity to think about what stories we wanted to tell, how to tell them, and how best to push the “Halo” franchise to showcase the platform.”

“Making a “Halo” game that runs at 60 frames per second, on dedicated servers, with the scope, features and scale we’ve been dreaming of for more than a decade, is non-trivial.”
(-if it’s more than a decade, she must be referring to Halo CE - a game known best for its campaign. this immediately reminded me of the 2nd level in Combat Evolved. Many people have mentioned how the open environment of that level awoke a desire to explore the ring.)

“Halo 5: Guardians is a bigger effort than Halo 4. That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what’s now a brand new and more powerful engine. Certainly there are some core elements carried over from prior games, but we’ve invested a huge effort in retooling our tech to take full advantage of the Xbox One’s hardware and ecosystem to create worlds and experiences worthy of next-gen.”

“Previous Halo titles, Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 for example, strove to push the entire ecosystem forward – dual stick FPS with big open spaces in the case of Combat Evolved, and broadband matchmaking in Halo 2 – are just a couple of examples of the series innovating or amplifying ideas. So in building Halo 5: Guardians, we want to push the ecosystem as well as the universe. And we’ll have some surprises in store for new and loyal players of the series.”
I’m don’t think Halo will turn into an open world RPG, but the series has always had affinity towards more open-esque environments with all the vehicles and stuff - opposed to the CoD/Half-Life/Uncharted-style scripted spectacles. The two more linear games in the series (Halo 2 and 4) both came out at the end of the console generations. As a result they were graphically outstanding, but the environments were more linear than in Halo CE, 3 and Reach.

> 2533274881015020;2:

Well it’s not like we want another Destiny. Open world is exciting because it means more freedom in gameplay.

It’s definitely not easy to pull off but hey what’s a game without ambition?

I assumed that it would be like odst when I saw the open world thing. Like when you play as locke you’re in the open world looking for chief or signs of him. Locke is said to be on a manhunt so I think having you actually hunt for chief would be better than linear levels for him. (Not saying they all have to be) then when you play as chief it’s your typical halo levels. Then at some point the two of them would converge.

> 2533274881015020;10:
> I found Skyrim rather droll without mods, but that may be due to personal preference. I have, however, heard from my colleagues that Skyrim is not that great, though.

That’s an incredibly strange sampling. Almost everyone I’ve ever met who plays Skyrim loves it including myself. It’s one of few games I’ll go back to every few months. Regardless, Skyrim is an example of open world done right. The only thing open world about Destiny is that Bungie thinks it’s “open world”.

To point out supporting evidence for an openworld Halo game, Reach’s campaign was initially going to allow players to drive Warthogs over massive tundras while being fired upon from Wraiths situated miles away. You can find this in Reach’s pre-alpha/prototype footage (massive tundra is 1:31 in): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8-A00Pdkg

> 2533274832607597;17:
> I assumed that it would be like odst when I saw the open world thing. Like when you play as locke you’re in the open world looking for chief or signs of him. Locke is said to be on a manhunt so I think having you actually hunt for chief would be better than linear levels for him. (Not saying they all have to be) then when you play as chief it’s your typical halo levels. Then at some point the two of them would converge.

This is probably what they are trying to achieve similar to H3:ODST, but on a bigger scale. A linear/open-world hybrid.