Halo 5: Guardians vs. Destiny

There are a lot of different points we can use to discuss.
Which game do you think will sell better on xbox?
Which game do you think will LOOK better?
Which game will PLAY better?

I understand that Halo 5 is not playable yet, but I think this thread will help with speculation about its gameplay.
I personally think that Halo 5 will be an amazing game, and I’ve played the Destiny Beta and cannot see what all the fuss is about.

I hate comparing games, especially ones that have little in common. However, I will say that I was disappointed in the overall lack of story in the Destiny beta. I realize it is just a beta and Bungie wasn’t concerned with that side of things but it just seemed like “Hey, you’re alive, here’s a gun, shoot things!” and I don’t play games like that.

As for what will play better: They’ll both play amazingly.

> I hate comparing games, especially ones that have little in common. However, I will say that I was disappointed in the overall lack of story in the Destiny beta. I realize it is just a beta and Bungie wasn’t concerned with that side of things but it just seemed like “Hey, you’re alive, here’s a gun, shoot things!” and I don’t play games like that.
>
> As for what will play better: They’ll both play amazingly.

I don’t want to start an arguement or anything, I just want to see what people are speculating. And both Halo and Destiny were created by the same Company, so I would hardly say they have LITTLE in common.

It’s difficult to judge a year from launch with no in-game footage other than a few WIP shots.

Using what we’ve heard from developers and recent ViDocs of Guardians, we can make some early assumptions about Halo vs Destiny.
Though, you have to remember that Destiny comes out a full year before Halo 5 as well.

For fans of Halo, which likely still make up a lot of Bungie’s fan base… Halo 5 Guardians’ reverting back to arena settings will be very appealing when compared to Destiny focusing on loot, classes, and modern gaming mechanics like ADS. Of course, we have yet to see how Halo 5’s arena focus will play with new player abilities and the sandbox.
There have been mixed reviews, from what I’ve seen, about Destiny’s multiplayer. Some love it, and others hate it.

As for story, I personally don’t see Destiny’s story as that great so far. It’s a cool concept, but from what we’ve seen… it doesn’t look like it’s really going very deep into it or anything. 2 lead writers have moved on, with Joe stating that he was excited to be working on something that was actually very story focused… which doesn’t speak very highly of Destiny.
For “the most ambitious game yet”… Destiny has yet to wow me. The graphics aren’t that incredible, which can probably be attributed to having to work on last-gen versions as well. I’m not seeing anything really revolutionary.

> > I hate comparing games, especially ones that have little in common. However, I will say that I was disappointed in the overall lack of story in the Destiny beta. I realize it is just a beta and Bungie wasn’t concerned with that side of things but it just seemed like “Hey, you’re alive, here’s a gun, shoot things!” and I don’t play games like that.
> >
> > As for what will play better: They’ll both play amazingly.
>
> I don’t want to start an arguement or anything, I just want to see what people are speculating. And both Halo and Destiny were created by the same Company, so I would hardly say they have LITTLE in common.

That’s it’s only major similarity to Halo. The art style is somewhat the same but it’s a different game, the gameplay is immensely different, not to mention it has a completely different story (from what we know of it.)You really can’t compare an FPSMMO to an FPS.

> It’s difficult to judge a year from launch with no in-game footage other than a few WIP shots.
>
> Using what we’ve heard from developers and recent ViDocs of Guardians, we can make some early assumptions about Halo vs Destiny.
> Though, you have to remember that Destiny comes out a full year before Halo 5 as well.
>
>
> For fans of Halo, which likely still make up a lot of Bungie’s fan base… Halo 5 Guardians’ reverting back to arena settings will be very appealing when compared to Destiny focusing on loot, classes, and modern gaming mechanics like ADS. Of course, we have yet to see how Halo 5’s arena focus will play with new player abilities and the sandbox.
> There have been mixed reviews, from what I’ve seen, about Destiny’s multiplayer. Some love it, and others hate it.
>
>
> As for story, I personally don’t see Destiny’s story as that great so far. It’s a cool concept, but from what we’ve seen… it doesn’t look like it’s really going very deep into it or anything. 2 lead writers have moved on, with Joe stating that he was excited to be working on something that was actually very story focused… which doesn’t speak very highly of Destiny.
> For “the most ambitious game yet”… Destiny has yet to wow me. The graphics aren’t that incredible, which can probably be attributed to having to work on last-gen versions as well. I’m not seeing anything really revolutionary.

I was thinking the same thing. Nicely worded.

> > > I hate comparing games, especially ones that have little in common. However, I will say that I was disappointed in the overall lack of story in the Destiny beta. I realize it is just a beta and Bungie wasn’t concerned with that side of things but it just seemed like “Hey, you’re alive, here’s a gun, shoot things!” and I don’t play games like that.
> > >
> > > As for what will play better: They’ll both play amazingly.
> >
> > I don’t want to start an arguement or anything, I just want to see what people are speculating. And both Halo and Destiny were created by the same Company, so I would hardly say they have LITTLE in common.
>
> That’s it’s only major similarity to Halo. The art style is somewhat the same but it’s a different game, the gameplay is immensely different, not to mention it has a completely different story (from what we know of it.)You really can’t compare an FPSMMO to an FPS.

From charcter movement to shooting mechanics, I’m almost certain that the Destiny engine is an updated version of Reach’s.

It is pretty difficult to compare. We are judging Destiny based on a few trailers, and a small portion of a game based on a playable beta. Then we are judging Halo 5 based on a ViDoc that showed NO gameplay of any sort, a few models, a couple of maps and a dramatised CGI trailer. Wait until we have both of the games in our hands, and then we can make a proper judgement.

> It is pretty difficult to compare. We are judging Destiny based on a few trailers, and a small portion of a game based on a playable beta. Then we are judging Halo 5 based on a ViDoc that showed NO gameplay of any sort, and only showed a few models and a couple of maps. Wait until we have both of the games in our hands, and then we can make a proper judgement.

Not asking for a judgement, I realize that that isn’t possible yet. I am asking for speculation. What you think at this point, though it may not be much, I am interested in hearing.

> > I hate comparing games, especially ones that have little in common. However, I will say that I was disappointed in the overall lack of story in the Destiny beta. I realize it is just a beta and Bungie wasn’t concerned with that side of things but it just seemed like “Hey, you’re alive, here’s a gun, shoot things!” and I don’t play games like that.
> >
> > As for what will play better: They’ll both play amazingly.
>
> I don’t want to start an arguement or anything, I just want to see what people are speculating. And both Halo and Destiny were created by the same Company, so I would hardly say they have LITTLE in common.

One is an MMO type game and the other is not, so they are both quite different. The only real link they share is that they are both sci-fi fps, and that is because of Bungie.

To answer the question though, I am not sure.

Another thing to take into account is that Destiny already has two set DLC, which if introduced in a style that MMO’s do will mean it will be more than just a map pack. That also means they will both probably cost more money than Halo’s map packs.

> > > > I hate comparing games, especially ones that have little in common. However, I will say that I was disappointed in the overall lack of story in the Destiny beta. I realize it is just a beta and Bungie wasn’t concerned with that side of things but it just seemed like “Hey, you’re alive, here’s a gun, shoot things!” and I don’t play games like that.
> > > >
> > > > As for what will play better: They’ll both play amazingly.
> > >
> > > I don’t want to start an arguement or anything, I just want to see what people are speculating. And both Halo and Destiny were created by the same Company, so I would hardly say they have LITTLE in common.
> >
> > That’s it’s only major similarity to Halo. The art style is somewhat the same but it’s a different game, the gameplay is immensely different, not to mention it has a completely different story (from what we know of it.)You really can’t compare an FPSMMO to an FPS.
>
> From charcter movement to shooting mechanics, I’m almost certain that the Destiny engine is an updated version of Reach’s.

The sprint is Destiny is literally identical to sprinting in Reach. And I mean animations here. The shotgun reload is also identical to Reach’s. While my friend(a Reach fan) and I(not a Reach fan) were playing through the beta we kept pointing out to each other the things that they carried over from Reach. It’s higher then you would think. There are more then these two, these two just come to mind.

> > > > > I hate comparing games, especially ones that have little in common. However, I will say that I was disappointed in the overall lack of story in the Destiny beta. I realize it is just a beta and Bungie wasn’t concerned with that side of things but it just seemed like “Hey, you’re alive, here’s a gun, shoot things!” and I don’t play games like that.
> > > > >
> > > > > As for what will play better: They’ll both play amazingly.
> > > >
> > > > I don’t want to start an arguement or anything, I just want to see what people are speculating. And both Halo and Destiny were created by the same Company, so I would hardly say they have LITTLE in common.
> > >
> > > That’s it’s only major similarity to Halo. The art style is somewhat the same but it’s a different game, the gameplay is immensely different, not to mention it has a completely different story (from what we know of it.)You really can’t compare an FPSMMO to an FPS.
> >
> > From charcter movement to shooting mechanics, I’m almost certain that the Destiny engine is an updated version of Reach’s.
>
> The sprint is Destiny is literally identical to sprinting in Reach. And I mean animations here. The shotgun reload is also identical to Reach’s. While my friend(a Reach fan) and I(not a Reach fan) were playing through the beta we kept pointing out to each other the things that they carried over from Reach. It’s higher then you would think. There are more then these two, these two just come to mind.

Character movent in general is Reach based, and the weapon mechanics resemble bloom. In angers me that Bungie left Halo to pursue different game creations and then would make so many things identical to Halo.

Other than what other people said already. I’m more interested in Spartans VS Guardian.

> Other than what other people said already. I’m more interested in Spartans VS Guardian.

Spartans vs Guardian? What?

As far as which one will look better, I’d have to say it’s gonna be Halo 5. It still has over a year in development and it’s an Xbox exclusive, so they can use everything at their disposal to get it to look amazing solely on that console. There won’t be any issues with it not looking the same or having to tone it down to function properly on multiple systems.

Also Destiny has been in development (at least concept stage) since before ODST was released, as it was hinted at in ODST. It’s also being made to be playable on two different console generations. So there will be limitations.

Other than that, I don’t think it’s really fair to compare the two. Destiny seems more like Skyrim in Space whereas Halo seems like Halo. Both created (originally) by the same developer, so even though they are commercial rivals, I don’t like to think of them that way.

I’m excited to get my mits on Destiny, but the MMO-style gameplay isn’t really my thing. Then again, maybe I just haven’t played the right MMO, this could be it.

You can dance in Destiny. So that’s either the dumbest thing Bungie ever put into a video game, or the most brilliant, I’ll have to try it out for myself before I decide.

> As far as which one will look better, I’d have to say it’s gonna be Halo 5. It still has over a year in development and it’s an Xbox exclusive, so they can use everything at their disposal to get it to look amazing solely on that console. There won’t be any issues with it not looking the same or having to tone it down to function properly on multiple systems.
>
> Also Destiny has been in development (at least concept stage) since before ODST was released, as it was hinted at in ODST. It’s also being made to be playable on two different console generations. So there will be limitations.
>
> Other than that, I don’t think it’s really fair to compare the two. Destiny seems more like Skyrim in Space whereas Halo seems like Halo. Both created (originally) by the same developer, so even though they are commercial rivals, I don’t like to think of them that way.
>
> I’m excited to get my mits on Destiny, but the MMO-style gameplay isn’t really my thing. Then again, maybe I just haven’t played the right MMO, this could be it.
>
> You can dance in Destiny. So that’s either the dumbest thing Bungie ever put into a video game, or the most brilliant, I’ll have to try it out for myself before I decide.

To me, Destiny is just a dumbed down Star Wars Galaxies.
And Skyrim in space? Do you work for IGN? Hahaha

> To me, Destiny is just a dumbed down Star Wars Galaxies.
> And Skyrim in space? Do you work for IGN? Hahaha

Did they say that? Damn them.

> > To me, Destiny is just a dumbed down Star Wars Galaxies.
> > And Skyrim in space? Do you work for IGN? Hahaha
>
> Did they say that? Damn them.

I was referring to when IGN said Far Cry is Skyrim with guns lol

> Other than what other people said already. I’m more interested in Spartans VS Guardian.

I would say Spartan unless the Guardian is Super charged. Golden guns and Nova bombs look pretty devastating.

These are two totally different games. The only thing that connects the two are the Developers of both the games. If Bungie hadn’t made Destiny or maybe Halo we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

But to answer your question I think they will both play great. But they will play differently as far as MP is concerned.

For one Halo 5 has gotten rid of AA which is kinda something that Destiny embraces. The Aiming down Iron sights part in Destiny makes gameplay different. Also it seems like Halo 5 might be going back to equal starts type of gameplay, it doesn’t seem like Destiny is going that route at all.