Halo 5: Guardians Storyline

At the beginning and end of Halo 2: Anniversary we see a cutscene between Agent Locke and the Arbiter which states that the Master Chief has gone AWOL…Why would Chief go AWOL? What’s going on? I think it’s obvious that Cortana is going to play a big part in the upcoming game, despite what happened to her in Halo 4. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure she has gone but we all know what Chief did last time she went missing. So could this have anything to do with Chief going AWOL? I think we can presume that the answer is yes…This is just a theory but I think that Chief has gone AWOL for Cortana, that he is looking for a way to get her back, Perhaps he wanted to find Halsey but was denied a Halsey rescue mission so he’ll do it himself. So if this is true what does it mean for Chief? What are the consequences for going AWOL. I guess you could say I’m hoping that Locke will secretly be going after Chief and is going to put him down. However this wouldn’t logically add up… from what we know at least! It would be pretty cool though, to see the figurehead of the Halo franchise go up against an ONI officer augmented to be a Spartan IV in GEN II armour! It’s not a crazy idea either, it’s speculated that Chief is going mad with wanting to continue fighting and it would explain why there are 4 more Spartan IV’s with Locke in the cutscenes. What do you guys think?

> 2533274874990824;1:
> At the beginning and end of Halo 2: Anniversary we see a cutscene between Agent Locke and the Arbiter which states that the Master Chief has gone AWOL…Why would Chief go AWOL? What’s going on? I think it’s obvious that Cortana is going to play a big part in the upcoming game, despite what happened to her in Halo 4. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure she has gone but we all know what Chief did last time she went missing. So could this have anything to do with Chief going AWOL? I think we can presume that the answer is yes…This is just a theory but I think that Chief has gone AWOL for Cortana, that he is looking for a way to get her back, Perhaps he wanted to find Halsey but was denied a Halsey rescue mission so he’ll do it himself. So if this is true what does it mean for Chief? What are the consequences for going AWOL. I guess you could say I’m hoping that Locke will secretly be going after Chief and is going to put him down. However this wouldn’t logically add up… from what we know at least! It would be pretty cool though, to see the figurehead of the Halo franchise go up against an ONI officer augmented to be a Spartan IV in GEN II armour! It’s not a crazy idea either, it’s speculated that Chief is going mad with wanting to continue fighting and it would explain why there are 4 more Spartan IV’s with Locke in the cutscenes. What do you guys think?

Honestly. I would assume at this point that the UNSC only cares because of what he knows. That and his armor system. Thats a pretty penny. The Chief has decades of combat experience. Plenty of that against better foes then himself. He has luck on his side.

The Chief also could not go on a mission to rescue Halsey because the leader of ONI, Admirial Osmen, wants her dead. Really, really badly.

The last time Cortana went missing…chief did his job but felt bad about losing her.

Do I think chief went AWOL? Yes.
Do I think Locke is trying to mislead the arbiter…yes

I don’t think Locke is up to any good. As you recall in halo 4 prologue there was a man interrogating Halsey. This man wasnt locke. He asked her questions about chiefs success and mentions that chief is dead…well obviously not.

Chief floated aboard the unsc forward unto dawn for four years. As I recall no one knew about this except infinity. They found him and if you played the campaign you know what happens.

So here is my point. In the halo 2 anniversary prologue there is a preview of halo 5 guardians. Arbiter calls Locke a hunter of Spartans as if he knew already why he was there already. Then arbiter gets defensive of chief in a way when Locke brings him into the conversation. The arbiter asks Locke if chief is a friend or foe. Locke indirectly answers the question by saying he went AWOL and the unsc wants him back.

Why would the unsc want him back so quickly? As you recall in halo escalation hood told chief to kick his feet up and relax. I think chief knows something that the unsc didn’t want him to know.

Back to chief going AWOL. After lockes response, the arbiter says if he left the unsc he definitely had his reasons to. Who said he left?

I think chief went to the arbiter before going “AWOL” and told him his plans as if he knew someone was going to come looking or hunting for him. It kind of seems as if the arbiter was hesitating towards the idea of hunting chief.

Also there is a whole big thing with “trust”. Obviously not a lot of elites trust locke.

And then there is the bird. Chief was seen near it and arbiter had a hologram.

Sorry for the long post. Didn’t know if I could explain any shorter

I actually mentioned this in another thread. I am willing to bet MC is either already looking for Halsey, or he will eventually be on his way to finding her.

Locke may just be trying to help MC. UNSC wants him back, but why send a team of combat soldiers? Why hook up with the Arbiter? Locke, and everyone for that matter, knows 117 and the Arbiter have history. Judging by the way they had weapons ready at the end of that cutscene, they are willing to fight through whatever is going on there. Just doesn’t explain why they are fighting enemies to look for MC.

I can’t wait for this game, but I really wish it wasn’t so far away.

first time she went missing the master chief continued on most likely hoping she could be brought back somehow 2nd and most recent disappearance its pretty much the same story only this time her disappearance has effected him greatly and is probably one of the reasons he left the unsc to maybe find Halsey and some how bring her back while oni wants Halsey dead which leads us to agent locke who is with oni question is why is he looking for 117. My guess its either to help him find her if this where to happen and they are to find her locke could possibly turn on master chief and kill Halsey or he’s trying to kill Halsey like oni wants. Now if that where to happen the MC would probably try to stop him but in the end they may or may not become ally’s quite like the story line of Halo 2 between the MC and the arbiter.

Why do people think that Chief went AWOL for Cortana?

She’s not his girlfriend, she’s certainly not an organic being for it to depress him so much, and she hasn’t really been that prominent in his life, prior to the Halo games. So why is her absence that detrimental to him? Its unfortunate, but it shouldn’t take over his life so badly. I think after his encounter with the Librarian on Requiem, he is genuinely questioning his purpose in life, and if he’s even fighting on the right side, kind of like how Bornstellar did, in Halo: Cryptum. Does Cortana play a role in this circumstance? Sure, but i don’t think its his sole purpose for going AWOL.