Halo 5: Guardians Returning Characters!

The characters that should be returning from previous Halo games, books and videos is…

Prepare yourself… Ahem

Sangheili

• Thel’Vadam alias. The Arbiter/Kaidon
  • Rtas 'Vadum alias. Ripjaw/Shipmaster
  • Avu Med’Telcam alias. The Bishop/Field Master
  • Dural 'Mdama
  • Asum 'Mdama
  • Jul 'Mdama alias. The Didact’s Hand/Supreme Commander
  • Forze 'Mdama alias. Shipmaster
  • Levu 'Mdama alias. Kaidon
  • Naxan 'Mdama
  • Raia 'Mdama
  • Vata 'Gajat alias. The Mercenary/Shipmaster
  • Zef 'Trahl alias. The Informant
  • Usze 'Taham
  • N’tho 'Sraom

Jiralhanae

• Lydus alias. The Eldar Chieftain Of The Jiralhanae/Chieftain

Kig-Yar

• Tek alias. Champion

Humans

• Terrance Hood alias. Lord/Fleet Admiral
  • Serin Osman alias. Admiral
  • Mattius Drake alias. Admiral
  • Miranda Keyes alias. Commander
  • Jacob Keyes alias. Captain
  • Thomas Lasky alias. Captain
  • James Gregory Cutter alias. Captain
  • Daniel Clayton alias. Captain
  • Catherine Elizabeth Halsey alias. Doctor
  • Ellen Anders alias. Doctor
  • Henry Glassman alias. Doctor
  • Evan Phillips alias. Professor
  • Petra Janecek alias. Journalist
  • Sarah Palmer alias. Spartan Commander/Spartan-IV
  • Vladimir Scruggs alias. Spartan-IV
  • Edward Davis alias. Spartan-IV
  • Gabriel Thorne alias. Fireteam Majestic Leader/Spartan-IV
  • Anthony Madsen alias. Spartan-IV
  • Carlo Hoya alias. Spartan-IV
  • Tedra Grant alias. Spartan-IV
  • Paul DeMarco alias. Fireteam Bailey Leader/Spartan-IV
  • Jared Miller alias. Spartan-IV
  • Robert Dalton alias. Spartan-IV
  • Naiya Ray. alias Spartan-IV
  • Isla Zane alias. Spartan-IV
  • Jun-A266 alias. Noble Three/Spartan-III
  • John-117 alias. Reclaimer/Master Chief Petty Officer/Spartan-II
  • Fred-104 alias. Blue Leader/Lieutenant, Junior Grade/Spartan-II
  • Kelly-087 alias. Petty Officer Second Class/Spartan-II
  • Linda-058 alias. Petty Officer Second Class/Spartan-II
  • Jerome-092 alias. Red Leader/Petty Officer Second Class/Spartan-II
  • Douglas-042 alias. Petty Officer Second Class/Spartan-II
  • Alice-130 alias. Petty Officer Second Class/Spartan-II
  • Naomi-010 alias. Petty Officer Second Class/Spartan-II
  • Avery Junior Johnson alias. Gunnery Sergeant/Spartan-I
  • Edvin Sentzke alias. Insurrectionist
  • Malcolm J. Geffen alias. Staff Sergeant/ODST
  • Lian Devereaux alias. Sergeant/ODST
  • Vasily Beloi alias. Corporal/ODST
  • Veronica Dare alias Captain/ODST
  • Edward Buck alias. Gunnery Sergeant/ODST
  • Taylor ‘Dutch’ Miles Corporal/ODST
  • Kojo ‘Romeo’ Agu alias. Lance Corporal/ODST
  • James ‘Rookie’ Dante alias Lance Corporal/ODST
  • Micheal ‘Mickey’ Crespo alias. Private First Class/ODST
  • Black-Box alias. Smart-AI
  • Cortana alias. Smart-AI
  • Serina alias. Smart-AI
  • Roland alias. Smart-AI

Huragok

• Prone To Drift alias. Engineer
  • Requires Adjustment alias. Engineer
  • Virgil alias. Engineer/Superintendent AI

Forerunner

• Shadow-Of-Sundered-Star alias. Ur-Didact/Warrior-Servant
  • First-Light-Weaves-Living-Song alias. Librarian/Lifeworker
  • Chant-To-Green alias Lifeshaper/Lifeworker
  • Bornstellar-Makes-Eternal-Lasting alias. Iso-Didact/Warrior-Servant
  • 343 Guilty Spark alias. Chakas/Forthencho/Monitor-class Ancilla
  • 05-032 Mendicant Bias alias. Contender-class Ancilla
  • Offensive Bias alias. Contender-class Ancilla
  • 2401 Penitent Tangent alias. Monitor-class Ancilla
  • 049 Abject Testament alias. Monitor-class Ancilla

Precursor

• The Primordial alias. Timeless One/Prisoner Of Charum Hakkor/Gravemind

Note: Some are to be mentioned or referenced only… hence some may be deceased characters…

Yeah, I have no hope for 343i bringing in any of the good previously-established/EU characters Halo has to offer…seeing as the first thing they chose to show for Halo 5 was “oooh look we made (another) NEW character!”

Sangheili

• We’ll probably hear about the Arbiter at some point, but he’ll probably be too busy with his own people to be very involved in the story.
  • Jul is likely to still be an antagonist on some level - not sure to what extent though.
    …doubt we’ll see any more named Elites though.

Jiralhanae

• I don’t see them bringing the Brutes back into the games as major players - let alone giving Lydus any type of mention.

Kig-Yar

• Same situation as the Brutes. I’m sure we’ll fight Jackals though.

Humans

• Master Chief (but that’s a given)
  • There’s obviously a good chance we’ll see/hear from Palmer and Lasky again.
  • I’m not sure if we’ll see her, but Osman does stand a chance of being mentioned.
  • Having to deal with Majestic again is also a possibility.
  • We’re sure to get a hundred mentions of Cortana and how “sad” it is that she’s gone (gag me).
    …other than that I don’t expect to hear about anyone else on this list.

Huragok
343i actually using named Engineers in a Halo game? That’s a laugh…

Forerunner

• I’m sure the Ur-Didact will reappear somewhere.
  • Librarian also stands a good chance of appearing (if only in pre-recorded message form).
    …everyone else on this is kind of a toss-up. With 343 Guilty Spark and Mendicant Bias being the most likely to be mentioned.

Precursor
…I don’t think we’ll get actual characters, but the topic of the precursors is likely to be broached in some way.

Hmm…i don’t know if the vertical list format makes it seem this way, but it seems that there just may be a little too much characters in that list.

> Yeah, I have no hope for 343i bringing in any of the good previously-established/EU characters Halo has to offer…seeing as the first thing they chose to show for Halo 5 was “oooh look we made (another) NEW character!”

So what gave you the impression that there can’t be any returning characters just because they decided to reveal a new one first? Its a concept art, they’ve shown us next to nothing as of yet.

> Yeah, I have no hope for 343i bringing in any of the good previously-established/EU characters Halo has to offer…seeing as the first thing they chose to show for Halo 5 was “oooh look we made (another) NEW character!”

Looking at the list of characters - and that’s excluding every single minor one introduced - I can see why logically they won’t be re-introducing a great deal of characters in Halo 5, but I’m pretty sure they’ll be featuring some. Maybe even older characters like Blue Team.

Besides, it’s a new game - of course they’d want to show a new character along with it. Who wouldn’t?

> So what gave you the impression that there can’t be any returning characters just because they decided to reveal a new one first? Its a concept art, they’ve shown us next to nothing as of yet.

Because for the last two and a half years all 343i has done is hype and promote their new characters, while shoving the old ones more and more into the background. It’s like they’re railing against everything that Bungie created when they still were in charge of Halo, so they can feel like they “own it more” now.

I hope that we get to see 343 Guilty Spark (a.k.a Chakas).

I doubt they’ll be getting through that massive list

> Besides, it’s a new game - of course they’d want to show a new character along with it. Who wouldn’t?

When the promo for Halo 5 came out, there were a good number of previously-established characters that everyone thought the new character could be - and no one had a problem with that. Halo 4 brought in too many underdeveloped/underwhelming characters already. 343i needs to show they are capable of working with what they have, before just throwing more characters onto the pile.

> > So what gave you the impression that there can’t be any returning characters just because they decided to reveal a new one first? Its a concept art, they’ve shown us next to nothing as of yet.
>
> Because for the last two and a half years all 343i has done is hype and promote their new characters, while shoving the old ones more and more into the background. It’s like they’re railing against everything that Bungie created when they still were in charge of Halo, so they can feel like they “own it more” now.

If that was entirely true they would have left Guilty Spark dead in the control room of Installation 04B on the Ark instead of having a team sent to retrieve what was left of the guy. Bungie left him as dead, 343 gave him new purpose.

Yes, some characters seem to be getting sidelined, but that doesn’t mean that’s going to stay that way nor will every Bungie-era character be tossed aside.

So much negativity, and the game isn’t even out yet.

Edit Can the Forerunner trilogy of novels and Escalation count as “working with what they have” or is this strictly for the game installments only?

> So much negativity, and the game isn’t even out yet.

Hey, don’t let it bring your mood down (if it is) there is still more positive floating around ^-^.

Ot, I would love to see almost all of these characters shown or mentioned. Great list!

Aside from the fact that a lot of these characters are dead, not all of them should return. Either because they are fairly irrelevant or because they aren’t particularly good characters, at least they were written as very bland.

We should definitely encounter Thel 'Vadam, Jul 'Mdama, Avu Med 'Telcam, Lydus, Lord Hood and Serin Osman however.

> > So much negativity, and the game isn’t even out yet.
>
> Hey, don’t let it bring your mood down (if it is) there is still more positive floating around ^-^.
>
> Ot, I would love to see almost all of these characters shown or mentioned. Great list!

Negativity towards the Halo series tends to get my mood down double-time. On the other hand, I do like hearing people’s thoughts on the games and lore - if they can keep it polite. I enjoy hearing both sides to an argument, but when the other side is lacing their comments with sarcasm, insults, and overall negative talk it just brings me down. I don’t expect everyone to agree with my views and honestly I’d be more worried if EVERYONE did in fact love the game(s) without question. I try and be respectful when stating my own opinions and views, but I’m only human after all.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of positive talk around though. As said, I fully expect opinions to differ and people to not like something, but when the game isn’t even expected to be out for a full year?

Back on track, I hope we see the Arbiter, Thorne (Not exclusively in cutscenes either), and maybe Osman too. If she shows up physically, maybe I can be a jerk and take a shot at her eh? Insert sinister looking emoticon here

> If that was entirely true they would have left Guilty Spark dead in the control room of Installation 04B on the Ark instead of having a team sent to retrieve what was left of the guy. Bungie left him as dead, 343 gave him new purpose.
>
> Yes, some characters seem to be getting sidelined, but that doesn’t mean that’s going to stay that way nor will every Bungie-era character be tossed aside.
>
> So much negativity, and the game isn’t even out yet.
>
> Edit Can the Forerunner trilogy of novels and Escalation count as “working with what they have” or is this strictly for the game installments only?

So Guilty Spark was revealed to have survived your laser blast at the end of Halo 3 - and has since vanished into space (looking for the Librarian). He could still very well fade into obscurity like so many of the other characters that still had relevance to the story.

Yeah, because after the debacle that was Halo 4, there’s so much faith to be had in 343 right now. It’s better to be cynical about things from the get-go, rather than just blindly trusting - which undoubtedly leads to even greater disappointment.

The depth of the Forerunner Saga was the result of Greg Bear’s writing, not anyone who is currently working at 343i on any of the game’s story material. Also ‘Escalation’ has continued the trend of 343i promoting their own new characters, not reintroducing or further developing old ones.

Hope the ODST team return, Rookie, buck, dutch etc! Be so good!

> So Guilty Spark was revealed to have survived your laser blast at the end of Halo 3 - and has since vanished into space (looking for the Librarian). He could still very well fade into obscurity like so many of the other characters that still had relevance to the story.

Unlikely, but possible. Whether or not that plot thread will evolve in the games or in the books is uncertain, but I highly doubt spark will just vanish for no reason.

> Yeah, because after the debacle that was Halo 4, there’s so much faith to be had in 343 right now. It’s better to be cynical about things from the get-go, rather than just blindly trusting - which undoubtedly leads to even greater disappointment.

Multiplayer was flawed yes, but the story wasn’t. ajw had an excellent analysis of the story which shed more light on it than I initially saw on my first playthrough (And I already enjoyed it immensely before this)

It’s one thing to be skeptical, but nothing but sarcasm and cynical remarks?

> The depth of the Forerunner Saga was the result of Greg Bear’s writing, not anyone who is currently working at 343i on any of the game’s story material. Also ‘Escalation’ has continued the trend of 343i promoting their own new characters, not reintroducing or further developing old ones.

Someone who dislikes Escalation, I never thought it possible.

Old characters still showed up though, and the Spirit of Fire looks like it will be making an appearance soon.

> > Yeah, because after the debacle that was Halo 4, there’s so much faith to be had in 343 right now. It’s better to be cynical about things from the get-go, rather than just blindly trusting - which undoubtedly leads to even greater disappointment.
>
> Multiplayer was flawed yes, but the story wasn’t. ajw had an excellent analysis of the story which shed more light on it than I initially saw on my first playthrough (And I already enjoyed it immensely before this)
>
> It’s one thing to be skeptical, but nothing but sarcasm and cynical remarks?

The Campaign was just as flawed as the Multiplayer. The story was full of plot holes, and while I appreciate it trying bringing in the larger history of the Haloverse into the games through the introduction of the Didact and the Forerunner Wars, the writing was hammy and heavy-handed. As for that ajw guy - he’s a preening self-promoter and a Cortana apologist, and nothing he says in his highly-opinionated fan-made essay proves anything.

If you don’t have a problem with the story or the games, that’s fine. But because I refuse to just sit by and not voice my own concerns about 343i’s handling of what used to be my favorite fictional franchise, that puts me in the wrong in some way? Why should I be giving them any of my confidence when I don’t feel they’ve proven themselves deserving of it? My remarks are cynical and sarcastic because they have given me no reason to not feel jaded by what they’ve done with Halo thus far.

> > The depth of the Forerunner Saga was the result of Greg Bear’s writing, not anyone who is currently working at 343i on any of the game’s story material. Also ‘Escalation’ has continued the trend of 343i promoting their own new characters, not reintroducing or further developing old ones.
>
> Someone who dislikes Escalation, I never thought it possible.
>
> Old characters still showed up though, and the Spirit of Fire looks like it will be making an appearance soon.

The Arbiter hardly did anything while he was in the comic though, and now he’s already gone. And the Sprint of Fire came from a game that was fraught with canon issues, with very underwhelming characters. Showing up is not the same thing as actually having an important role in the story.

> Negativity towards the Halo series tends to get my mood down double-time. On the other hand, I do like hearing people’s thoughts on the games and lore - if they can keep it polite. I enjoy hearing both sides to an argument, but when the other side is lacing their comments with sarcasm, insults, and overall negative talk it just brings me down. I don’t expect everyone to agree with my views and honestly I’d be more worried if EVERYONE did in fact love the game(s) without question. I try and be respectful when stating my own opinions and views, but I’m only human after all.

I understand…I do, there is another thread bugs me a lot…but don’t let it bother you, if they can not be polite then ignore them. ^-^

OT, I doubt they are going to set up spark and then just forget about him. As Syl stated the SOF is coming back, the only real lore that pushs new chars is Kilo series.

I would appreciate that you do not use insulting labels for fellow forum members.

> > > Yeah, because after the debacle that was Halo 4, there’s so much faith to be had in 343 right now. It’s better to be cynical about things from the get-go, rather than just blindly trusting - which undoubtedly leads to even greater disappointment.
> >
> > Multiplayer was flawed yes, but the story wasn’t. ajw had an excellent analysis of the story which shed more light on it than I initially saw on my first playthrough (And I already enjoyed it immensely before this)
> >
> > It’s one thing to be skeptical, but nothing but sarcasm and cynical remarks?
>
> The Campaign was just as flawed as the Multiplayer. The story was full of plot holes, and while I appreciate it trying bringing in the larger history of the Haloverse into the games through the introduction of the Didact and the Forerunner Wars, the writing was hammy and heavy-handed. As for that ajw guy - he’s a preening self-promoter and a Cortana apologist, and nothing he says in his highly-opinionated fan-made essay proves anything.
>
> If you don’t have a problem with the story or the games, that’s fine. But because I refuse to just sit by and not voice my own concerns about 343i’s handling of what used to be my favorite fictional franchise, that puts me in the wrong in some way? Why should I be giving them any of my confidence when I don’t feel they’ve proven themselves deserving of it? My remarks are cynical and sarcastic because they have given me no reason to not feel jaded by what they’ve done with Halo thus far.
>
>
>
> > > The depth of the Forerunner Saga was the result of Greg Bear’s writing, not anyone who is currently working at 343i on any of the game’s story material. Also ‘Escalation’ has continued the trend of 343i promoting their own new characters, not reintroducing or further developing old ones.
> >
> > Someone who dislikes Escalation, I never thought it possible.
> >
> > Old characters still showed up though, and the Spirit of Fire looks like it will be making an appearance soon.
>
> The Arbiter hardly did anything while he was in the comic though, and now he’s already gone. And the Sprint of Fire came from a game that was fraught with canon issues, with very underwhelming characters. Showing up is not the same thing as actually having an important role in the story.

Halo Wars doesn’t have any canon issues. The closest there is to “issues” are here. http://www.halopedia.org/List_of_inconsistencies_in_the_Halo_series

> Halo Wars doesn’t have any canon issues. The closest there is to “issues” are here. http://www.halopedia.org/List_of_inconsistencies_in_the_Halo_series

I guess I should clarify…more what I meant was that it threw everything from Halo into one game - Covenant, Flood, and Forerunner tech - but since it was set even before the fall of Reach, the SoF had to be conveniently lost in space with all hands at the end of the game as to not completely change everything that was set to happen in the already-established canon timeline. It was kind of cheap.

> As for that ajw guy - <snip> - and nothing he says in his highly-opinionated fan-made essay proves anything.

No perhaps not, but at least he put a lot of thought and effort into it.