Halo 5: Guardians Graphical Integrity

Hey Halo Enthusiasts and Graphic Lovers!! I’m Noble. I’m not TOO active on the Forums here, but I pop in every so often to help out/ maybe clear things up in any which way that I can. I don’t intend to be rude, but there is a lot of negativity from users here regarding 343 Industries and I personally don’t feel like surrounding myself with that Negativity. It’s unhealthy. Pardon me.

Regardless of that, lets get on topic! 343i is creating Halo 5 Guardians. Now, from what we’ve been told, the original Halo Engine was dropped although, not scrapped. The Employees at 343 have been hard at work to create a BRAND NEW Engine for Halo 5 as we’ve been told.

To continue, they took CORE features from prior Engines to add on additionally to the Master Piece they’d been developing. Now, I’m only speculating its done because they (In my honest opinion) have to be releasing Halo 5 Guardians in September considering the Concept Art Book has a release date in August, who knows… maybe even before the book :O.

Lets talk about LIGHTING/HARDWARE:

In this new Engine they’ve developed, I’m sure they’ve figured out several of the kinks Halo 4 had in its Lighting System. An example would the Real Time Dynamic Lighting, Real Time Dynamic Reflections and the Light/God Ray System. These three features alone can create the illusion of something looking absolutely amazing. Regardless of those issues, I still find my Jaw Dropping when I saw Master Chiefs Visor in the the Cutscene when he first encounters the Prometheans… hell just the entire cutscene. For the Xbox 360 this was a very intense load of graphical integrity, it was a very large Achievement on 343i’s half.

With the Xbox One, as much as the specs are far greater then the Xbox 360, my best Example is the Ram;

Xbox 360: 512MB (Click HERE for Full List Of Specs)
Xbox One: 8GB [(Click HERE for Full List Of Specs)

](http://www.engadget.com/products/microsoft/xbox/one/specs/)Another thing to mention are these shots in particular:

The Soft Orange Lighting on the Spartan and the First Person Battle Rifle
[Notice the Realtime Lighting on the Spartan, Environment and the First Person Battle Rifle?

](http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/378/3789400/2725593-4005920392-h5-be.jpg)Every one of these in game shots are utilizing something labeled: Physically Based Rendering (Thank you SepheusIX for the reminder)

Lets talk about GRAPHICS:

Graphical and Lighting Greatness are all dependent on the Code. Assuming 343i Codes the Game/Engine correctly, there’s no doubt in my mind that these achievements could be… well achieved.

A Fine Example of Graphics for Halo 5 is the Beta. Now, I BELIEVE Josh Holmes or Frankie stated that the Beta’s Graphics were that of a placeholder to see just how well the Beta could actually play. Even for Placeholder Textures, they were actually pretty well done. Especially in comparison to Halo 4.

Halo 4: Master Chief
(I’m using the Master Chief Model for the Halo 4 Reference because, and I quote; “We were afforded a little more budget since he’s our hero. - A Hero Awakens Vidoc”. This makes the Comparison even better.)

Halo 5 Beta: Mark VI
(This Model and its Level Of Detail is used in the Beta for In-Game Matches, this is an untextured model with a Red Shader, just showing the Level of Detail that it has. Although, the beta’s in-game textures did have Render issues from time to time, as stated by 343 themselves.)

I’d say, as far as Poly Count, Resolution and L.O.D goes, I’m not worried one bit. Halo 5 seems to have some fantastic Models, this will be even more complete when any, if not all texture issues are resolved.

Lets talk about MODELS/MAPS/OPEN WORLD:

Not only did the Beta have some fantastic Spartan Models, but it has some solid ‘Graphics’ utilized on the maps. This excited me. The Map Room from the map ‘Truth’ is a fine example.

Truth’s Map Room: Map Room

I say this in respects to every single little detail this map was capable of holding, both texture wise, lighting wise and most of all; Detail Wise. The map is full of indents, divits and moving objects that all were full of very in-depth model detail.

Now, a lot of people are speculating that based off some old ‘Rumors’ that the game will be an open world experience. At least for Campaign. Now, don’t get discouraged because its entirely possibly to have incredible graphics that can compete with games like;

“The Order: 1886”

“The Last Of Us”

User: But Noble! Those games were extremely linear! They don’t have area’s to explore! Just a path!

Now, you might say that or something similar… but my response would be;

GTA V. Why? Because of its open world graphical integrity. GTA has used a Render Distance System for quite some time, allowing you to not even notice the fact that the map is generating the textures, models, etc - Miles ahead of you. This could EASILY be integrated into Halo 5 Guardians Engine. Thus allowing the users to experience a seamless transition into a new area in which isn’t so seamless in the code ;). Giving an illusion that everything is looking absolutely amazing. We also have to remember that if Halo 5 utilizes the Cloud. This could take A LOT of the heat from the Xbox One. Thus allowing more graphical enhancements to be made.

Off the topic of Open World, a couple of friends and myself are developing a Halo Live Action Fan Film. Now, I know this doesn’t belong here, but I promise what I’m gonna mention relates to models ;).

With our current development progress, our Master Chief Model has surpassed that of even blurs ‘Scanned Trailer’ model, and yet has the capability to be utilized in Game Engines relating to Unreal or Cry Engine.

Humanity - A Halo Fan Film (Master Chief Model Work In Progress Render): RENDERS

Regardless of all that I’ve said, the game could look absolutely abysmal… but my Faith in 343 Industries is of High Integrity. I truly believe, based off not only the Statements we’ve heard of recent, but just the pure effort they’re making to try and please all of us, both Story, Lore and Multiplayer Wise. That this game will be absolutely 10 times more then what we actually think we want. Anyway! MUCH LOVE! ~ Noble

This guy knows his stuff.

I completely agree with you OP, I will just say that the armors in the Beta look a little bit like they were made of plastic.
Apart form that, I have faith in 343 and in Halo 5

They’re using physically based rendering to make the lighting interact with objects as realistically as feasible.

Source

> 2533274859630784;3:
> I completely agree with you OP, I will just say that the armors in the Beta look a little bit like they were made of plastic.
> Apart form that, I have faith in 343 and in Halo 5

I doubt that any of the graphical fidelity or polish has been applied to the beta, especially given that it was released a year in advance. The fact that it looked good at all is testament to the effort and new power available.

Expect Halo 5 to look stunning in race trim.

> 2533274807658681;4:
> They’re using physically based rendering to make the lighting interact with objects as realistically as feasible.
>
> Source

Haha saw that the day of! Was happy to see that they are attempting to perfect it.

It’s really sad that fans like you Noble stay out of this board… but I really understand your problem - the negativity really drags you down from time to time.

But we need more threads and more people like him!

Great thread that combines both information and optimism, a welcome diversion! :slight_smile:

> 2533274793332039;7:
> It’s really sad that fans like you Noble stay out of this board… but I really understand your problem - the negativity really drags you down from time to time.
>
> But we need more threads and more people like him!
>
> Great thread that combines both information and optimism, a welcome diversion! :slight_smile:

Agreed.

Thanks for the info, Noble! Much appreciated.

> 2533274807658681;4:
> They’re using physically based rendering to make the lighting interact with objects as realistically as feasible.
>
> Source

I like how on twitter he gets all technical and actually says something when its a smaller audience, but in the Blog post about beta changes they were super-generic about color and lighting issues. sarcasm

> 2533274825188615;2:
> This guy knows his stuff.

TRUE

This thread is strangely void of negativity. Let’s keep it that way.
Awesome topic, and I hope H5 blows my socks off with its incredible graphics.