Halo 5: Guardians Could Be the CoD Killer.

I am enjoying the beta. It is certainly more appealing than anything that I have seen in Call of Duty: Ghosts or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Hopefully, Call of Duty can go out with a bang, Call of Duty: Black Ops III, and Halo can take back its console shooter throne.

The only thing that can kill Call of Duty is Call of Duty.

Call of Duty is a cancerous, repetitive game. Unlike Halo. Because the core mechanics in Halo actually CHANGE.

Call of Duty has been dead to me for years. Halo 5 will be amazing. It is already in the form of a beta.

As much as I don’t like CoD myself, we don’t need to be declaring war on other franchises. Plus, that game still sells millions per titles, so I don’t think it is going anywhere for the next few years.

These games should never be compared. They are meant to be completely separate and unique. When the fan base starts putting value behind the comparison we are left with multiplayers like Halo 4 and Halo 5 beta. Halo needs to evolve, not conform or mimic in the hopes of “killing” another game franchise.

> 2533274825353387;2:
> The only thing that can kill Call of Duty is Call of Duty.

Disagree.

> 2533274864209588;3:
> Call of Duty is a cancerous, repetitive game. Unlike Halo. Because the core mechanics in Halo actually CHANGE.

You know why COD is winning? Because it holds on to a formula that works. HALO cuts deeper into itself with every release.

A real Halo game could.

H5 will be out of the XBL top 5 activity chart within 6 months of it’s release. I wouldn’t surprised if it drops below COD Ghosts.

> 2533274805230315;9:
> > 2533274864209588;3:
> > Call of Duty is a cancerous, repetitive game. Unlike Halo. Because the core mechanics in Halo actually CHANGE.
>
>
> You know why COD is winning? Because it holds on to a formula that works. HALO cuts deeper into itself with every release.

Eh, COD is also a game that releases yearly and “originated” some of the features we call “modern.” That said, there isn’t much room for the game to change its formula. They didn’t know what to do up until Advanced Warfare when they started to take features from other games (like Halo). COD is winning because it’s easy, overhyped, and has a MASSIVE following on multiple platforms. People buy iPhones every year even though they’re never that different. People buy NBA 2k games every year too.

There’s no excuse for Halo to be the same game for every release if it takes 2-3 years for a new Halo game to drop. Halo 2 was drastically different from Halo CE, and Halo 3 was different enough from Halo 2 to justify its existence while still being fundamentally, the same game. But now that we have so many new shooters out that people generally prefer over the Halo series as a whole (because people LEFT Halo 3 to play COD), Halo needs to change.

Halo Reach, while not the best Halo game, was what Bungie though would be a logical evolution of the series. “How to we make a prequel and a sequel at the same time?” Armor abilities - the next evolutionary step after equipment. Unfortunately these abilities added too much randomness to the game. That, coupled with a subpar campaign and boring firefight in a market in which there were simply better options pretty much guaranteed that this game was never going to be as successful as its predecessor.

Halo 4 was misguided. 343 wanted to revive Halo while competing with the other popular shooters on the market, by taking the CORE features of that gameplay. Loadouts, perks, ordinance. AAs stayed, and were slightly improved upon, and sprint became a base player trait. But this was too random, and also the map design was generally poor and uninspired. The campaign was really the only good factor in the game aside from graphics, as Spartan Ops started off too repetitive for people to want to come back.

Halo 5 is looking to make a sequel to ALL of the Halo games while keeping to the roots of equal starts, weapon pickups and map control. It kept sprint, made thrusters universal, and added things like clamber, Spartan charge, and ground pound. What 343 is trying to do here is create a new foundation of Halo gameplay to build future games on. Regardless if “Hardcore competitive Halo fans” don’t like the changes, if the gameplay works really well for a lot of people, then it has the potential to see some of its former success. Halo 5 COULD BE the closest thing to this generation’s Halo 2 (drastically different gameplay disapproved of by fans of the former, Halo CE). Will it dethrone COD? No. But it can still be one of the best and highest rated games on the Xbox.