Halo 5: Guardians Community Theories So Far

Hey guys. There’s a lot of ideas floating around as to what’s gonna happen in Halo 5, as everything we’ve seen so far does nothing but raise more questions. Share your ideas! There’s so many, with so many different points. To start, I’ll post my theory.

Halo 5: Guardians. "Peace is shattered when colony worlds are unexpectedly attacked. But when humanity’s greatest hero goes missing, a new Spartan is tasked with hunting the Master Chief and solving a mystery that threatens the entire galaxy.” But it is so much more than a simple mission to find a lost soldier. Because this soldier, the one Locke must find to bring an end to these attacks, is none other than Master Chief Petty Officer Sierra-117. But this Spartan is AWOL because of something monumental: he lost Cortana. She was his humanity, his rock, the AI that was his sole companion and most loyal friend, and caused him to question who he is. “Before this is all over, promise me you’ll figure out which one of us is the machine.” And in turn, “She said that to me once… about being a machine.” The Chief’s absence is a quest to find himself. So much of his life has been turmoil since Reach, and with the Covenant War over, what use is he? He’s an aging Spartan. What room is there for him in this brave new galaxy? So Chief is on a journey of self-discovery, searching for Cortana and a way to revive her seems like the most obvious way to start such a quest. The Chief needed to find a deeper meaning in himself, to prove he isn’t a machine, and that he can live.

Look twice. There are two sides to every story. But what about the truth? Hunt the Truth isn’t about the story. Not about Master Chief’s side, nor Locke’s. It’s THE truth. What really happened during the events of Halo 5, past all it’s lies and secrecy that shroud what truly occurred. The campaign that ONI wanted Benjamin Giraud to make the Chief sounds so great, with the perfect origin story. But what they give Giraud to work with is false. He unravels the truth behind the Chief. This “Hunt the Truth” discovers what will become an elaborate conspiracy of cover-ups and lies in order to shroud the true fate of our favorite Spartan from the public. About who he became. Benjamin Giraud is behind that gun, pulled that trigger that fired the bullet mad up of identities, and shattered the image the world had of him. As Locke says in the trailer, the world will remember him as the protector, the savior, the conquering hero. Giraud was supposed to paint the lies that the public will accept as the truth. But he doesn’t.
Chief isn’t supposed to be a traitor, and ONI tries to hide it. Locke tells us so: “All hail the conquering hero. Let us remember him as our protector, and not the one who gave us this. As our savior, and not our betrayer! Let us see him forever as you, and not as you. All hail the conquering hero. The one who was supposed to save us all! But now I must save us… from you.” Locke reveals that the Chief has gone against human interests, betrayed his own kind. That is at least half the truth. Chief’s actions have resulted in disaster, catastrophe… death. The anomalies coming out of deep space, and the attacks on colonized planets? All linked to the Chief. But what if this damage he seemingly wrought was misunderstood? He could be fighting to bring mankind—his race!—to a better future. He has found his identity as a god and a demon: he is the Reclaimer. The Mantle WILL fall into humanity’s hands.

At the end of this journey that both the Chief and Locke will experience, there’s something terrifying. Dangerous. Apocalyptic. Chief went one way. Locke… went the other. While Locke’s words are one of spite and anger at the Chief choosing one that would result in death and danger, the Chief spoke in a bitter tone, blaming Locke for failed results: "This. Is this what you wanted? Is this what you were looking for? Was everything you’ve compromised, everything you’ve done, worth it? Was it? You’ve completed your mission, Spartan Locke. Mine is just beginning.” Their dialogue mirrors each other. They went two different ways in this story, and it appears as if the Chief’s went against the interests of his own people. Locke and Chief may have completed the journey, and Locke, the dutiful soldier he is, might have found the Master Chief, unraveled this galaxy-changing secret, but that mission is over. The Chief’s on a path that stretches much father, much more complex. His mission is only beginning. And now, it’s Locke’s turn to stop him.

Which side? Because both are Guardians of mankind. But who is, or are, the true Guardians? Something more sinister is afoot, something Forerunner, and my guess? It’s on John’s side.

Share your theories!