Halo 5: Guardians and Everything Wrong With It

Poll Question: If Halo 5: Guardians didn’t change at all from the beta, would you buy it?

Before you post, read everything (yes, all of it) I have written here. Allow me to introduce myself, I have been a huge fan of the Halo series since Halo: Combat Evolved launched, and have played every game in the series from the first to the last (excluding the mobile adaptations). I am not a “casual” gamer, I enjoy all types of video games from the simple RPG to the fast-paced Sci-Fi FPS. I have also supported Halo in the past when others criticized it, mostly when Halo 4 was released and many people were upset by it. Throughout the entire duration of the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta, I began to see a problem that has been quite clear since Halo 4, although I defended you guys at 343 Industries because it was your first game and there was room for error.

One of the major problems with Halo 5: Guardians is how extremely unlike Halo it is, and how it is more of a re-skin of recent sci-fi shooters like Titanfall, Destiny (Similar in Gameplay), and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. The removal of loadouts was a step on the right path, but I’m sorry to say that you have taken a huge step backwards. Among the many problems in Halo 5: Guardians is the horrible idea to include sprint after receiving such negative feedback. While I applaud you for being able to balance sprint fairly well, that does not at all make up for the ridiculous amount of people who are now allowed to run away from combat like little kids playing Call of Duty. There needs to be more included to balance sprint, although you did not completely fail at balancing it, it still needs work.

The next problem is your terrible weapon designs. You have taken the weapon designs we all know and love from previous Halo installments (Halo 2, Halo 3, Combat Evolved, etc.) and made them look more like modern military weapons, almost resembling Battlefield and Call of Duty weapon designs, blurring the lines that separate Halo from other modern shooters terribly. Great examples of this are the Rocket Launcher, SMG, Magnum, and even the DMR.

Most of the other armor abilities are fairly balanced, although some need work. Clamber is great, slide is good as well, but the Thruster Pack needs slight work (it still thrusts you great distances, which basically gives sprinting players a super boost) and “Smart Scope” (Let’s call it what it is, Aim Down Sights) has no place here. Perhaps a version like the binoculars from previous games that allows the players to shoot would be better, but this is just “Aim Down Sights”. You can call a car a horse if you like, but that doesn’t make it a horse.

The main problem is the odd tendency you guys at 343i have to lean more towards a Call of Duty style game rather than keeping everything we love in Halo. You claim to be listening to players’ feedback but you are doing anything but that at the moment. With your recent fails at fixing Halo: Master Chief Collection and the complete disaster at its launch, I’m beginning to doubt your ability to make a good game (yes you compensated us for it, but that doesn’t make it any less of a problem.)

It’s sad to see that Halo is going to be ruined if we continue down this track. I hope you’ll read the feedback I’ve provided and take it to heart while you continue working on Halo 5: Guardians.

Thank you,

Vultrae

These are exactly my thoughts. I don’t care how many people say 343 is here to “bring back Halo”. We thought the same with Halo 4, we thought the same with the MCC, and now everyone thinks it’ll happen with Halo 5. The problem is, 343 DOES NOT listen. Descope is back? Great. No loadouts? Awesome! But then you pull the rug out from under us with these new abilities. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with Halo changing. However, changing for the sake of change is never good, especially to a game to like Halo.

Thruster? Eh. I can see argument in favor or not. In my opinion, it works nicely, but only as a strafing tool. Due to 343’s love of corridors, it, just like sprint (a whole other subject) becomes a get out of jail free card. We’ll see what they do with it.

Spartan Charge - Completely useless since the guy you hit comes out of the shock faster than your animation finishes. Unless you’re charging a weak or no shield enemy, you’re dead.

Smart Scope - All I can ask is: why? Yes, its just a new animation for the already existing zoom system. SO WHAT WAS THE POINT IN CHANGING IT. Foor me personally, it clogs up my peripheral zoom. Sure, you can say the same of the old zoom, but the black out regions were semi-transparent. I could still see enemies out of my zoom. Also, this zoom needs an animation to get into it, effectively killing a lot of trick shots or fast target acquisition.

Ground Pound - Surprisingly, I never encountered it much. Its just a risky play where the risk is much greater than the reward. Personally, it hasn’t been too much of an issue with me, but in an arena shooter, there should never be a default ability with the power to one hit kill.

Slide - No point talking about it since no one uses it. Unnecessary addition.

Clamber - feels natural, but doesn’t belong in Halo. In some cases its nice to reach edges you probably should have made, but it stops you from making deliberate and methodical movements in favor of just holding or tapping A as a crutch when you miss a jump. This lack of thinking in terms of where your player is going ties directly into the elephant in the room:

Sprint - Is there any point in beating a dead horse? It’s a useless feature that

  1. Increase TTK unnecessarily
    2)Promotes running and gunning and not thinking about where you’re going
    3)Creates larger maps to compensate for its addition, making its intended purpose of getting into the action quicker pointless
    4)Becomes another crutch for players who are getting shot to run away and live to fight another day

Lets not forget about the whole “self selection bias” tweet from Josh Holmes. WHEN THE SURVEY IT WAS BASED ON HAS A MAJORITY VOTE OF NO SPRINT ACROSS 3 DIFFERENT FORUMS, INCLUDING YOUR OWN, IT SHOULD SEND A MESSAGE: NO ONE WANTS SPRINT.

In summary, they’re taking one step forward then two steps back. They try to appeal to old Halo gamers, but these new features that add nothing to the gameplay are being heavily marketed so the general populace (ages 12 and under and COD kids) will buy, and maybe stay for a couple of weeks before the next Call of Duty. Meanwhile, the loyal Halo fans are being ignored even though we add 90% of the games value for sticking around long after its relevant in marketing and media. I don’t care if they’re default abilities if they all suck.

/endrant

I played the beta with zoom on the right stick (where it belongs) and it functions just like any other Halo game … well, not like Halo 4, because I was getting descoped.

I clicked the stick, the magnum zoomed 2x, I got shot, it un-zoomed. It just looked all fancy this time. I don’t think it functions differently on the trigger, but I use that trigger for grenades, just like since CE.

I liked the beta. I have no problem with sprint. The game does not look or feel like CoD whatsoever:

[AND HERE, GUESS WHICH ONE IS HALO?

](http://i.imgur.com/w4TNIES.jpg)Here’s a hint: It’s the one on Midship, with the Red & Blue Spartans carrying the classic Assault Rifle from CE (not the abomination from Reach).

Also, not sure if you caught this, but as a fellow CE fan, did you notice the reticle is back to being in the center of the screen?

:smiley:

I’m looking forward to this game.

To answer the poll question: (forgot about it during my rant) I probably won’t buy it. Due to the MCC, I have no reason to support 343 releasing another game or buying day 1. Its supporting them to do what they did before and release a shoddy port of old games that didn’t even have to be made from the ground up. I get porting is hard, but that’s ALL they had to do. Secondly, I just don’t have fun with the game. The ranking is great, but the gameplay leaves much to be desired. And last, Battlefront is coming out, so that’s priority. Maybe I’ll buy it; I’m a loyal Halo player, but loyalty comes into question when the the developers of your favorite franchise try to modernize Halo into something it isn’t. We’ll see

I feel like I should say something to this but I feel also like what I say would be pointless. I guess I just never encountered what you 2 have.

Two answer the question. only thing I disliked about it was the detail on some of the armors.

> 2533274883669557;3:
> I played the beta with zoom on the right stick (where it belongs) and it functions just like any other Halo game … well, not like Halo 4, because I was getting descoped.
>
> I clicked the stick, the magnum zoomed 2x, I got shot, it un-zoomed. It just looked all fancy this time. I don’t think it functions differently on the trigger, but I use that trigger for grenades, just like since CE.
>
> I liked the beta. I have no problem with sprint. The game does not look or feel like CoD whatsoever:
>
> AND HERE, GUESS WHICH ONE IS HALO?
>
> Here’s a hint: It’s the one on Midship, with the Red & Blue Spartans carrying the classic Assault Rifle from CE (not the abomination from Reach).
>
> Also, not sure if you caught this, but as a fellow CE fan, did you notice the reticle is back to being in the center of the screen?
>
> :smiley:
>
> I’m looking forward to this game.

Good for you! In all honesty, I’m glad you enjoy it.

I however, do not enjoy it. It is filled with unnecessary change, catering to weak players and lowering the overall importance of skill in the game. I don’t know what “pro” players 343 was using during development but I can assure you they were not Halo fans.

I respect your opinion, but it is pure, 100%, unsalted fact that this game plays exactly like CoD.

and about the reticle…it is in the center of the screen? Would you mind telling me why I should care? That is not something that would’ve taken a lot of work to implement, even I could do that in a game engine, and it would take me less than 5 minutes, I assure you.

Thanks for sharing your opinion though. I appreciate the input nonetheless.

> 2533274793162835;5:
> I feel like I should say something to this but I feel also like what I say would be pointless. I guess I just never encountered what you 2 have.

Please, do contribute to the discussion! I would not throw you out of the topic simply because of a differing opinion, I may not agree with it but you have just as much right to post here as anyone else. Do you mean you haven’t experienced the older Halo games or is it something else you were referring to?

I have heard this before not sure where… Oh wait I remembered, it was a couple of days ago in this forum.

seriously if you’re disappointed in halo just don’t buy it anymore and stop posting threads about how you were a halo fan but then 343 ruined halo because it “looks” like call if duty.

Oh and to answer your question: yes

> 2533274846562867;8:
> I have heard this before not sure where… Oh wait I remembered, it was a couple of days ago in this forum.
>
> seriously if you’re disappointed in halo just don’t buy it anymore and stop posting threads about how you were a halo fan but then 343 ruined halo because it “looks” like call if duty.
>
> Oh and to answer your question: yes

Man do I love people like you (oh wait, no, I don’t), that is a horrible logical fallacy there friend, you should be ashamed of it. 343 themselves have asked for our feedback and I’m giving it. Don’t you have better things to do than write immature posts in threads on internet forums? Or are you just that immature? You clearly didn’t read my post, I did not say I hated Halo because it “looks” like call of duty. The first post is there for a reason, genius, read it before posting ridiculous childish comments that contribute nothing to the discussion. It is really immature and gives a bad impression to be honest.

> 2533274846562867;8:
> I have heard this before not sure where… Oh wait I remembered, it was a couple of days ago in this forum.
>
> seriously if you’re disappointed in halo just don’t buy it anymore and stop posting threads about how you were a halo fan but then 343 ruined halo because it “looks” like call if duty.
>
> Oh and to answer your question: yes

This right here I can’t stand. People aren’t willing to accept some people don’t like Halo 5 and have legitimate reasons why. Why are you allowed to post threads about why its great, when people being constructive and willing to offer feedback are dismissed? There are real problems plaguing the game that have been since Reach, but since we don’t accept them, we obviously don’t understand our game and shouldn’t try to argue our case, right?

Really? Because it felt like halo to me.

> 2533274857398125;11:
> Really? Because it felt like halo to me.

I’m surprise with that response. In some ways, it felt way more like Halo then Reach or 4. In others, it was anything but. Then again, its all subjective. I’m divided over this one.

> 2533274859193782;10:
> > 2533274846562867;8:
> > I have heard this before not sure where… Oh wait I remembered, it was a couple of days ago in this forum.
> >
> > seriously if you’re disappointed in halo just don’t buy it anymore and stop posting threads about how you were a halo fan but then 343 ruined halo because it “looks” like call if duty.
> >
> > Oh and to answer your question: yes
>
>
>
> This right here I can’t stand. People aren’t willing to accept some people don’t like Halo 5 and have legitimate reasons why. Why are you allowed to post threads about why its great, when people being constructive and willing to offer feedback are dismissed? There are real problems plaguing the game that have been since Reach, but since we don’t accept them, we obviously don’t understand our game and shouldn’t try to argue our case, right?

Exactly. Heaven forbid someone offers constructive criticism. Apparently we are all supposed to be mindless robots who all share the same thought processes and opinions. It bothers me a great deal as well. It is completely ridiculous to suggest that we should not post our opinions because they might conflict with theirs.

> 2533274965031281;6:
> > 2533274883669557;3:
> > I played the beta with zoom on the right stick (where it belongs) and it functions just like any other Halo game … well, not like Halo 4, because I was getting descoped.
> >
> > I clicked the stick, the magnum zoomed 2x, I got shot, it un-zoomed. It just looked all fancy this time. I don’t think it functions differently on the trigger, but I use that trigger for grenades, just like since CE.
> >
> > I liked the beta. I have no problem with sprint. The game does not look or feel like CoD whatsoever:
> >
> > AND HERE, GUESS WHICH ONE IS HALO?
> >
> > Here’s a hint: It’s the one on Midship, with the Red & Blue Spartans carrying the classic Assault Rifle from CE (not the abomination from Reach).
> >
> > Also, not sure if you caught this, but as a fellow CE fan, did you notice the reticle is back to being in the center of the screen?
> >
> > :smiley:
> >
> > I’m looking forward to this game.
>
>
> Good for you! In all honesty, I’m glad you enjoy it.
>
> I however, do not enjoy it. It is filled with unnecessary change, catering to weak players and lowering the overall importance of skill in the game. I don’t know what “pro” players 343 was using during development but I can assure you they were not Halo fans.
>
> I respect your opinion, but it is pure, 100%, unsalted fact that this game plays exactly like CoD.
>
> and about the reticle…it is in the center of the screen? Would you mind telling me why I should care? That is not something that would’ve taken a lot of work to implement, even I could do that in a game engine, and it would take me less than 5 minutes, I assure you.
>
> Thanks for sharing your opinion though. I appreciate the input nonetheless.

CE & Halo 5 are the only games to have the reticle centered. If you haven’t noticed it, then it’s not an issue. It doesn’t really matter how much work was required to get it there or how long it would have taken, it’s just nice to go back to aiming that way. Some people can’t stand it being in the lower 3rd of the screen. I like it centered because … well, I don’t really know how to explain it, it just feels right. Gives it a nice Combat Evolved feel having that centered focal point.

But besides that, I don’t fancy myself a “professional” or a competitive gamer, or someone who takes match making very seriously (to an extent, yeah) but I mostly play for fun.

So … I think in this instant, I may be that “weak player” being catered to. Maybe that’s why I like it.

As much as I love Halo 2, I’ve always failed to see the importance of skill in strafe, strafe, BR, BR, -Yoink!-, bunny hop, repeat. It just got redundant. It felt like there were only so many variables.

I think they’re trying to keep the franchise relevant. They need to compete with other FPS’s because … well, competition in the free market blah blah blah. Is this the right way? I don’t know. Do I like it? Yeah, it’s fun. Will I be proven wrong? Probably …

> 2533274883669557;14:
> > 2533274965031281;6:
> > > 2533274883669557;3:
> > > I played the beta with zoom on the right stick (where it belongs) and it functions just like any other Halo game … well, not like Halo 4, because I was getting descoped.
> > >
> > > I clicked the stick, the magnum zoomed 2x, I got shot, it un-zoomed. It just looked all fancy this time. I don’t think it functions differently on the trigger, but I use that trigger for grenades, just like since CE.
> > >
> > > I liked the beta. I have no problem with sprint. The game does not look or feel like CoD whatsoever:
> > >
> > > AND HERE, GUESS WHICH ONE IS HALO?
> > >
> > > Here’s a hint: It’s the one on Midship, with the Red & Blue Spartans carrying the classic Assault Rifle from CE (not the abomination from Reach).
> > >
> > > Also, not sure if you caught this, but as a fellow CE fan, did you notice the reticle is back to being in the center of the screen?
> > >
> > > :smiley:
> > >
> > > I’m looking forward to this game.
> >
> >
> >
> > Good for you! In all honesty, I’m glad you enjoy it.
> >
> > I however, do not enjoy it. It is filled with unnecessary change, catering to weak players and lowering the overall importance of skill in the game. I don’t know what “pro” players 343 was using during development but I can assure you they were not Halo fans.
> >
> > I respect your opinion, but it is pure, 100%, unsalted fact that this game plays exactly like CoD.
> >
> > and about the reticle…it is in the center of the screen? Would you mind telling me why I should care? That is not something that would’ve taken a lot of work to implement, even I could do that in a game engine, and it would take me less than 5 minutes, I assure you.
> >
> > Thanks for sharing your opinion though. I appreciate the input nonetheless.
>
>
> CE & Halo 5 are the only games to have the reticle centered. If you haven’t noticed it, then it’s not an issue. It doesn’t really matter how much work was required to get it there or how long it would have taken, it’s just nice to go back to aiming that way. Some people can’t stand it being in the lower 3rd of the screen. I like it centered because … well, I don’t really know how to explain it, it just feels right. Gives it a nice Combat Evolved feel having that centered focal point.
>
> But besides that, I don’t fancy myself a “professional” or a competitive gamer, or someone who takes match making very seriously (to an extent, yeah) but I mostly play for fun.
>
> So … I think in this instant, I may be that “weak player” being catered to. Maybe that’s why I like it.
>
> As much as I love Halo 2, I’ve always failed to see the importance of skill in strafe, strafe, BR, BR, -Yoink!-, bunny hop, repeat. It just got redundant. It felt like there were only so many variables.
>
> I think they’re trying to keep the franchise relevant. They need to compete with other FPS’s because … well, competition in the free market blah blah blah. Is this the right way? I don’t know. Do I like it? Yeah, it’s fun. Will I be proven wrong? Probably …

Liking the game doesn’t mean you’re a weak player or being catered to. It simply means you like the changes.

I just can’t say the same.

> 2533274883669557;14:
> > 2533274965031281;6:
> > > 2533274883669557;3:
> > > I played the beta with zoom on the right stick (where it belongs) and it functions just like any other Halo game … well, not like Halo 4, because I was getting descoped.
> > >
> > > I clicked the stick, the magnum zoomed 2x, I got shot, it un-zoomed. It just looked all fancy this time. I don’t think it functions differently on the trigger, but I use that trigger for grenades, just like since CE.
> > >
> > > I liked the beta. I have no problem with sprint. The game does not look or feel like CoD whatsoever:
> > >
> > > AND HERE, GUESS WHICH ONE IS HALO?
> > >
> > > Here’s a hint: It’s the one on Midship, with the Red & Blue Spartans carrying the classic Assault Rifle from CE (not the abomination from Reach).
> > >
> > > Also, not sure if you caught this, but as a fellow CE fan, did you notice the reticle is back to being in the center of the screen?
> > >
> > > :smiley:
> > >
> > > I’m looking forward to this game.
> >
> >
> >
> > Good for you! In all honesty, I’m glad you enjoy it.
> >
> > I however, do not enjoy it. It is filled with unnecessary change, catering to weak players and lowering the overall importance of skill in the game. I don’t know what “pro” players 343 was using during development but I can assure you they were not Halo fans.
> >
> > I respect your opinion, but it is pure, 100%, unsalted fact that this game plays exactly like CoD.
> >
> > and about the reticle…it is in the center of the screen? Would you mind telling me why I should care? That is not something that would’ve taken a lot of work to implement, even I could do that in a game engine, and it would take me less than 5 minutes, I assure you.
> >
> > Thanks for sharing your opinion though. I appreciate the input nonetheless.
>
>
> CE & Halo 5 are the only games to have the reticle centered. If you haven’t noticed it, then it’s not an issue. It doesn’t really matter how much work was required to get it there or how long it would have taken, it’s just nice to go back to aiming that way. Some people can’t stand it being in the lower 3rd of the screen. I like it centered because … well, I don’t really know how to explain it, it just feels right. Gives it a nice Combat Evolved feel having that centered focal point.
>
> But besides that, I don’t fancy myself a “professional” or a competitive gamer, or someone who takes match making very seriously (to an extent, yeah) but I mostly play for fun.
>
> So … I think in this instant, I may be that “weak player” being catered to. Maybe that’s why I like it.
>
> As much as I love Halo 2, I’ve always failed to see the importance of skill in strafe, strafe, BR, BR, -Yoink!-, bunny hop, repeat. It just got redundant. It felt like there were only so many variables.
>
> I think they’re trying to keep the franchise relevant. They need to compete with other FPS’s because … well, competition in the free market blah blah blah. Is this the right way? I don’t know. Do I like it? Yeah, it’s fun. Will I be proven wrong? Probably …

Nah I play mostly for fun too, doesn’t make you a weak player. The weak players I was referring to were the newcomers to Halo, and I was dissapointed with the way 343 made the game easier to cater to new players rather than keeping it more skill-based or teamwork-based. I do think this game is fun, I just see it more as a “Halo + Call of Duty” hybrid rather than a Halo game. Great game in my opinion, just a far cry from Halo if you ask me.

But that is why it is still in the beta stage. Hopefully we’ll see some good things return from the beta and the bad things will be improved on in a way that everyone can agree works best for Halo. I also think that they are trying to keep the franchise relevant, I just think they’re doing it the wrong way.

Thanks for sharing again! Appreciate your feedback!:slight_smile:

> 2533274965031281;16:
> > 2533274883669557;14:
> > > 2533274965031281;6:
> > > > 2533274883669557;3:
> > > > I played the beta with zoom on the right stick (where it belongs) and it functions just like any other Halo game … well, not like Halo 4, because I was getting descoped.
> > > >
> > > > I clicked the stick, the magnum zoomed 2x, I got shot, it un-zoomed. It just looked all fancy this time. I don’t think it functions differently on the trigger, but I use that trigger for grenades, just like since CE.
> > > >
> > > > I liked the beta. I have no problem with sprint. The game does not look or feel like CoD whatsoever:
> > > >
> > > > AND HERE, GUESS WHICH ONE IS HALO?
> > > >
> > > > Here’s a hint: It’s the one on Midship, with the Red & Blue Spartans carrying the classic Assault Rifle from CE (not the abomination from Reach).
> > > >
> > > > Also, not sure if you caught this, but as a fellow CE fan, did you notice the reticle is back to being in the center of the screen?
> > > >
> > > > :smiley:
> > > >
> > > > I’m looking forward to this game.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Good for you! In all honesty, I’m glad you enjoy it.
> > >
> > > I however, do not enjoy it. It is filled with unnecessary change, catering to weak players and lowering the overall importance of skill in the game. I don’t know what “pro” players 343 was using during development but I can assure you they were not Halo fans.
> > >
> > > I respect your opinion, but it is pure, 100%, unsalted fact that this game plays exactly like CoD.
> > >
> > > and about the reticle…it is in the center of the screen? Would you mind telling me why I should care? That is not something that would’ve taken a lot of work to implement, even I could do that in a game engine, and it would take me less than 5 minutes, I assure you.
> > >
> > > Thanks for sharing your opinion though. I appreciate the input nonetheless.
> >
> >
> >
> > CE & Halo 5 are the only games to have the reticle centered. If you haven’t noticed it, then it’s not an issue. It doesn’t really matter how much work was required to get it there or how long it would have taken, it’s just nice to go back to aiming that way. Some people can’t stand it being in the lower 3rd of the screen. I like it centered because … well, I don’t really know how to explain it, it just feels right. Gives it a nice Combat Evolved feel having that centered focal point.
> >
> > But besides that, I don’t fancy myself a “professional” or a competitive gamer, or someone who takes match making very seriously (to an extent, yeah) but I mostly play for fun.
> >
> > So … I think in this instant, I may be that “weak player” being catered to. Maybe that’s why I like it.
> >
> > As much as I love Halo 2, I’ve always failed to see the importance of skill in strafe, strafe, BR, BR, -Yoink!-, bunny hop, repeat. It just got redundant. It felt like there were only so many variables.
> >
> > I think they’re trying to keep the franchise relevant. They need to compete with other FPS’s because … well, competition in the free market blah blah blah. Is this the right way? I don’t know. Do I like it? Yeah, it’s fun. Will I be proven wrong? Probably …
>
>
> Nah I play mostly for fun too, doesn’t make you a weak player. The weak players I was referring to were the newcomers to Halo, and I was dissapointed with the way 343 made the game easier to cater to new players rather than keeping it more skill-based or teamwork-based. I do think this game is fun, I just see it more as a “Halo + Call of Duty” hybrid rather than a Halo game. Great game in my opinion, just a far cry from Halo if you ask me.
>
> But that is why it is still in the beta stage. Hopefully we’ll see some good things return from the beta and the bad things will be improved on in a way that everyone can agree works best for Halo. I also think that they are trying to keep the franchise relevant, I just think they’re doing it the wrong way.
>
> Thanks for sharing again! Appreciate your feedback!:slight_smile:

I agree with this, but with 343’s track record, I’m not too optimistic. Maybe they’ll change my mind when we see our feedback put into place, but when we hear things like “self selection bias” or “feature xyz works because lore”, it disappoints me to see who’s making the future of my favorite franchise

About the pro players, they are true Halo fans. Its just they don’t want to risk their job or position criticizing changes I know they hate, especially due to their competitive background. This was a problem when people like Gandhi and Ninja were talking about how Halo 4 was more hype than Jesus, so I’ve learned to take their “opinions” about the new features with a grain of salt, especially the Pro team that helps develop.

> 2533274859193782;2:
> These are exactly my thoughts. I don’t care how many people say 343 is here to “bring back Halo”. We thought the same with Halo 4, we thought the same with the MCC, and now everyone thinks it’ll happen with Halo 5. The problem is, 343 DOES NOT listen. Descope is back? Great. No loadouts? Awesome! But then you pull the rug out from under us with these new abilities. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with Halo changing. However, changing for the sake of change is never good, especially to a game to like Halo.
>
> Thruster? Eh. I can see argument in favor or not. In my opinion, it works nicely, but only as a strafing tool. Due to 343’s love of corridors, it, just like sprint (a whole other subject) becomes a get out of jail free card. We’ll see what they do with it.
>
> Spartan Charge - Completely useless since the guy you hit comes out of the shock faster than your animation finishes. Unless you’re charging a weak or no shield enemy, you’re dead.
>
> Smart Scope - All I can ask is: why? Yes, its just a new animation for the already existing zoom system. SO WHAT WAS THE POINT IN CHANGING IT. Foor me personally, it clogs up my peripheral zoom. Sure, you can say the same of the old zoom, but the black out regions were semi-transparent. I could still see enemies out of my zoom. Also, this zoom needs an animation to get into it, effectively killing a lot of trick shots or fast target acquisition.
>
> Ground Pound - Surprisingly, I never encountered it much. Its just a risky play where the risk is much greater than the reward. Personally, it hasn’t been too much of an issue with me, but in an arena shooter, there should never be a default ability with the power to one hit kill.
>
> Slide - No point talking about it since no one uses it. Unnecessary addition.
>
> Clamber - feels natural, but doesn’t belong in Halo. In some cases its nice to reach edges you probably should have made, but it stops you from making deliberate and methodical movements in favor of just holding or tapping A as a crutch when you miss a jump. This lack of thinking in terms of where your player is going ties directly into the elephant in the room:
>
> Sprint - Is there any point in beating a dead horse? It’s a useless feature that
> 1) Increase TTK unnecessarily
> 2)Promotes running and gunning and not thinking about where you’re going
> 3)Creates larger maps to compensate for its addition, making its intended purpose of getting into the action quicker pointless
> 4)Becomes another crutch for players who are getting shot to run away and live to fight another day
>
> Lets not forget about the whole “self selection bias” tweet from Josh Holmes. WHEN THE SURVEY IT WAS BASED ON HAS A MAJORITY VOTE OF NO SPRINT ACROSS 3 DIFFERENT FORUMS, INCLUDING YOUR OWN, IT SHOULD SEND A MESSAGE: NO ONE WANTS SPRINT.
>
> In summary, they’re taking one step forward then two steps back. They try to appeal to old Halo gamers, but these new features that add nothing to the gameplay are being heavily marketed so the general populace (ages 12 and under and COD kids) will buy, and maybe stay for a couple of weeks before the next Call of Duty. Meanwhile, the loyal Halo fans are being ignored even though we add 90% of the games value for sticking around long after its relevant in marketing and media. I don’t care if they’re default abilities if they all suck.
>
> /endrant

Can’t say I voted on any of those surveys.
The issue is that anti-sprinters will complain, find the forums/polls etc and vote. Pro-sprinters have nothing to complain about, so don’t bother - they might see the poll and participate, but they will not actively seek it out. Sounds like self selection bias to me.
Also - please say “Halo purist” instead of “old Halo gamers” and “loyal Halo fans”. You don’t speak for all of us - many of us actually like sprint.

> 2533274859193782;18:
> About the pro players, they are true Halo fans. Its just they don’t want to risk their job or position criticizing changes I know they hate, especially due to their competitive background. This was a problem when people like Gandhi and Ninja were talking about how Halo 4 was more hype than Jesus, so I’ve learned to take their “opinions” about the new features with a grain of salt, especially the Pro team that helps develop.

I’ve always found it funny that people talk how evil studios/publishers are, and how their opinions/thoughts are biased because they only care about the money - but the opinions of pro gamers are repeated, idolized etc…