Halo 5 Forge Must Haves

Halo 5’s Forge

Not only are these great ides, but I can see them being highly probably with the Xbox One’s new capabilities such as better hardware, server lists, and most importantly cloud computing.

Just think, you could have the menial process such as dynamic lighting lighting and object capacity computed by the cloud, leaving lots of room for the hardware itself to push out some epic stuff for Forge.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Thing is… 343 will screw up again.

:]

>

Stop that. It’s not helping anyone.

I just watched the video, and it covered almost everything. I’d like to add a few points:

-Grouped objects should be savable under a “Custom Object” menu. This way you won’t have to build a structure twice and if you make an especially nice Frigate replica you could save it, use it in other maps and even upload it to your File Share for the whole world to see. This will allow for some great community pieces to be released online.

-Gadgets. We need more of them, some really crazy things. Like buttons that can interact with all the items in the game (from spawning/despawning items, to activating traps, to opening gates and spinning turbines and to making a static turret shoot remotely).

-An undo button would be a godly gift, as any Forger would attest.

> >
>
> Stop that. It’s not helping anyone.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

It’s just the hard truth.

You’ll see. But I’ll stop because I don’t want to be an -Yoink-.

> > >
> >
> > Stop that. It’s not helping anyone.

Oh, you’ll see all right. It won’t be the best in the series, not even the second best or third but it will be -Yoink!- good and much better than Halo 4. I’m willing to bet on it.

One thing is for certain, Forge is one of the strong points that sets Halo apart from other titles. We should at least focus on expanding and refining forge, if nothing else.

I disagree that we need to split beginner/advanced tools. I just don’t see the point.

I definitely agree the objects need reworked. Who wants to use a ton of 4x1 just to make a rail when we could have a rail object?

Scenery blocks are important, but let’s not go overboard on them. Building blocks should be the priority.

Don’t necessarily agree with terrain blocks, I’m sure they could allow us to edit terrain somehow. If not, these aren’t a bad replacement.

I definitely agree with weather/theme/filters/daytime/etc, this is one of the most important things to be fixed with forge. However, there are again limitations.

> -Grouped objects should be savable under a “Custom Object” menu.

Prefabs, of course. Why didn’t I think of this earlier…

> -Gadgets. We need more of them, some really crazy things.

Yes, but we must also realize there are limitations to what we can do with buttons.

> > > > Thing is… 343 will screw up again.
> > > >
> > > > :]
> > >
> > > Stop that. It’s not helping anyone.
> >
> > It’s just the hard truth.
> >
> > You’ll see. But I’ll stop because I don’t want to be an -Yoink!-.
>
> Oh, you’ll see all right. It won’t be the best in the series, not even the second best or third but it will be -Yoink!- good and much better than Halo 4. I’m willing to bet on it.

I hope you’re right…

Well… I’m just going to list my personal desires for Forge in Halo 5 while I’m at it.

BASIC IMPROVEMENTS:

• Improved, straightforward, and easy to read UI. (Halo 4’s was a strain)
  • An ability to multiselect/highlight objects and move them, manipulate them, duplicate them, and delete them as if they were one
  • An Undo/redo ability (may not be possible)
  • An ability to adjust the grid-spacing for the Coordinate Plane (instead of only being able to move an object one unit, the player should be able to change the interval in which an object is moved)
  • An ability to further adjust Magnet Settings (if the magnets are on the objects vertices or midpoints or both)
  • An ability to actually delete objects from within the menu, not just deleting by pallet.
  • An ability to locate specific objects on a map via scrolling or heatmaps.
  • An ability to run a virtual test of a map within a Forge game
  • An ability to edit the preview of a map within the menus (similar to the intitial loadout camera)
  • A Global Budget rather than specific object caps (it’s very annoying to be making a map and find out that I’ve ran out of Blocks and now have to resort to using bridges and walls instead)
  • Local rotation rather than a Global one.
    NEW FEATURES:
  • Weather effects that can be applied globally, or applied to a specific area via setting boundaries. These can also be set to transition from effect to effect over time.
  • A UNSC, Forerunner, and Covenant structure pallet.
  • A diverse, yet adaptable terrain pallet that includes hills, rocks, cliffs, trees, and other natural formations.
  • An ability to set textures to objects. This includes but is not limited to: Weathered, sandy, clean, mossy, cracked, Flood, and many more.
  • An ability to adjust the properties of objects placed on a map. An example would be placing a SAW and having it fire rockets rather than bullets.
  • An ability to save multiselected objects as a custom object and even be able to upload them to your fileshare. The expense of a custom object is equal to the sum of all objects used in it.
  • An object that’s size can be adjusted by the player. This allows for floors to be created easily and without having to place 50 Wall Coliseums.
  • Much, much, more…

Mechanisms is something I would love. You would spawn a door, then spawn a button and simply match frequencies like teleporters, only they would be called circuits. Drop pods attached to tracks would essentially be one way vehicles that you could spawn. 343 should strive to remove all limitations from creating developer level maps.

It would cool if they can use voxels like some games http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY3QCVVAddc . Probably won’t be possible unless they redesign or update the game engine .

> Mechanisms is something I would love. You would spawn a door, then spawn a button and simply match frequencies like teleporters, only they would be called circuits. Drop pods attached to tracks would essentially be one way vehicles that you could spawn. 343 should strive to remove all limitations from creating developer level maps.

I agree.

SOmething I miss from Halo 3 is that nearly every map was equally Forge-able. That allowed for some really unique maps that were only possible on the non-Forge maps like High Ground and Last Resort.

Well, personally I’d love the custom powerups back. Not sure if that’s more related to custom games, but it is a forge item…

343 should be the creator of forge not a third party company.

All 343i needs in is terrain editor weather control and flat blank canvas that we can terain edit