Halo 5 Design Goals

Imagine for a second you are a member of the Halo 5 development team and you have to prepare for an upcoming meeting in which the team will discuss the design goals for Halo 5. These goals will decide the future of the game. What goals do you want Halo 5 to meet once it has been developed? Keep in mind that you don’t need to think about how these goals will be fulfilled, just think about how you want Halo 5 to be described.

I’ll go first, and once there are enough replies I’ll compile the most popular ones in this post.

Here’s what I compiled from the thread: Please let me know if you disagree!
General Goals:

• Fun + Enjoyable- Replayability + Longevity- Feels, looks and sounds like Halo- Seemless: All elements of the game should fit together and feel like a single game- Competitive: High Skill Gap + Balance- Accessible: Intuitive + Instructional / Low Knowledge Gap- Rewarding- Improved Experience: Streamlined & Functional (in all facets)- Simple but Deep Gameplay- Diverse Gameplay- Player Empowerment: Responsive + Intuitive Controls / Combat OptionsCommunity Goals:- Improved Map Editor- Increased number of Game Options- Improved Content Sharing- Variety of Events (not just competitive tournaments)

General

• Challenging but still accessible. Easy to pick up but hard to master.- High Skill Gap (ties in w/ first point)- Rewarding. Players should have a sense of accomplishment and be able to easily monitor their progress.- Community Oriented / Driven: feedback should matter and community content should be readily available to all- Feel like a Halo Game / keep true to Halo’s arena roots- Seemless: all elements of the game should fit together and feel like a single game- Functional: few bugs / quick mitigation of problems / new things should not feel gimickyCampaign
  • Wide variety of experiences- ReplayableForge / Customs
  • Forgers should feel limited only by their imaginations

Wow this really flopped. Is anyone gonna chime in?

I was thinking about it, but honestly my design goals would be vastly different from what would be expected of a game that is aiming for general appeal and profit.

• Release the game finished and functional, or don’t bother releasing it at all.- Improve the online experience (Netcode, Clans, Server Browser, Ranking, etc)- Reliable and skillful precision weapon (not the Battle Rifle).- Quality over Quantity when it comes to the sandbox and content in general.- High skill gap means exactly what it says. Better than Halo CE, not simply on par with Halo 3.- Player is empowered. Low ideal killtimes.- Fifth columns will be ignored completely. This is Halo.- Mechanics are added based solely on if they improve the game or not. They aren’t just there to be there.- Integrity of vision first, community feedback second.- Be an active part of the community by promoting community content and hosting events.- Gametype options must be expanded.- Map Editor must be greatly improved.- Overall be an improvement, and not a [buzzword]“evolution”[/buzzword].Now if you were to ask what my goals would be for a game I’m actually trying to sell to the general population, I’d have a completely different list.

> 2533274819302824;4:
> - Reliable and skillful precision weapon (not the Battle Rifle).

I’m interested. What utility weapon takes more skill than the Battle Rifle? It certainly wouldn’t be the DMR due to how its range negatively affects the balance of the weapons sandbox - in particular the sniper rifle.

-Longevity
-gameplay diversity
-Simple but deep game dynamics
-Fair/ sporting
-engaging
-Natural skill progression
-balance between individual empowerment and teamwork
-Accessibility through intuitive and instructive game design without compromising skill gap and depth.
-Every death should be a lesson
-Elegant, streamlined game design
-Maintaining the soul and essence of the franchise
-Competitive
-Social
-encourages creativity
-A sandbox/ not overly restrictive game design

> 2533274881015020;5:
> > 2533274819302824;4:
> > - Reliable and skillful precision weapon (not the Battle Rifle).
>
>
> I’m interested. What utility weapon takes more skill than the Battle Rifle? It certainly wouldn’t be the DMR due to how its range negatively affects the balance of the weapons sandbox - in particular the sniper rifle.

I think anything that works like a Covenant Carbine but more competitive (define that with a reply) would be great.

> 2533274881015020;5:
> > 2533274819302824;4:
> > - Reliable and skillful precision weapon (not the Battle Rifle).
>
>
>
> I’m interested. What utility weapon takes more skill than the Battle Rifle? It certainly wouldn’t be the DMR due to how its range negatively affects the balance of the weapons sandbox - in particular the sniper rifle.

Kids these days…shakes cane in disapproval

• Multiplayer like Halo 5 Guardians Beta.
• New Weapons, of course
• New gametypes, also of course
• Campaign:

• More species like Brutes, Skirmisher or Flood
  • Elites from Sangheilos and Elites from New Covenant
  • Duration of campaign longer than Halo 4
  • Arbiter and Didact returned
  • Forerunners and new Promethean forms
  • Forerunners vehicles
  • Cinematics like Halo 2: Anniversary’s
  • Go to any Halo Instalation or The Ark (epic)

• Spartan Ops and Firefight
• Classic skins for the weapons in MP
• LOADOUTS, please :’(

I was pulled from my Halo 5 duties to help on TMCC

> 2533274819302824;8:
> > 2533274881015020;5:
> > > 2533274819302824;4:
> > > - Reliable and skillful precision weapon (not the Battle Rifle).
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I’m interested. What utility weapon takes more skill than the Battle Rifle? It certainly wouldn’t be the DMR due to how its range negatively affects the balance of the weapons sandbox - in particular the sniper rifle.
>
>
> Kids these days…shakes cane in disapproval

Let’s take our nostalgia goggles off for just a moment and think about how truly overpowered, inconsistent and unreliable the original Magnum was.

The Magnum’s “slow bullet travel”, requiring players to lead their aim in multiplayer matches is influenced by network latency. It is also extremely overpowered as it is capable of killing an opponent in 3 shots in just over a half of a second.

I find it interesting how nobody has mentioned immersion as one of their design goals, as it seems to be one of 343s major focuses for Halo 5.

From the replies I have gathered a list of goals for Halo 5, ans the OP has been updated. Please let me know if the goals posted fit your vision of Halo 5 (If I left anything out, or misworded anything) Thanks, CAVEMANcr

> 2533274819302824;4:
> I was thinking about it, but honestly my design goals would be vastly different from what would be expected of a game that is aiming for general appeal and profit.
> - Release the game finished and functional, or don’t bother releasing it at all.
> - Improve the online experience (Netcode, Clans, Server Browser, Ranking, etc)
> - Reliable and skillful precision weapon (not the Battle Rifle).
> - Quality over Quantity when it comes to the sandbox and content in general.
> - High skill gap means exactly what it says. Better than Halo CE, not simply on par with Halo 3.
> - Player is empowered. Low ideal killtimes.
> - Fifth columns will be ignored completely. This is Halo.
> - Mechanics are added based solely on if they improve the game or not. They aren’t just there to be there.
> - Integrity of vision first, community feedback second.
> - Be an active part of the community by promoting community content and hosting events.
> - Gametype options must be expanded.
> - Map Editor must be greatly improved.
> - Overall be an improvement, and not a [buzzword]“evolution”[/buzzword].
> Now if you were to ask what my goals would be for a game I’m actually trying to sell to the general population, I’d have a completely different list.

Could you please explain this point? I’m not sure what you mean by “fifth columns.”

> 2533274833164531;1:
> (MY responce in bold)
> General Goals:
> - Fun + Enjoyable return fan favorite gametypes, add new arcade gametypes
> - Replayability + Longevity offline mp bots, firefight, campaign scoreing
> - Feels, looks and sounds like Halo return classic sound remastered, familiar themes, along with new
> - Seemless: All elements of the game should fit together and feel like a single game disign campaign assets that function with mp assets (preferably they are the same)
> - Competitive: High Skill Gap + Balance disgn maps with competetive gameplay i mind. Symetrical 4v4 maps, included in map list.
> - Accessible: Intuitive + Instructional / Low Knowledge Gap training mode, offline bots, matching players by skill
> - Rewarding cosmetic rewards
> - Improved Experience: Streamlined & Functional (in all facets) spectator mode, dedicated servers, improved custom games options.
> - Simple but Deep Gameplay mp assets have apparent purpose to player. All items provide diffrent advantages but also have just as much a disadvantage associated with them.
> - Diverse Gameplay base abilities of player/ vehicles/ other player is able to use from. Simple and responcive controls.
> - Player Empowerment: Responsive + Intuitive Controls / Combat Options players rewarded for feats by gaining acess to greater tools. Player should be able to defeat any foe with any tool to varing degrees. The deciding factor should be the players involved.
> Community Goals:- Improved Map Editor design with machinima makers in mind
> - Increased number of Game Options have things such as weapon damage, spartan abilities, score count and such changable to player among other options
> - Improved Content Sharing local and cloud storage of files. Common easy to use search options with filters
> - Variety of Events (not just competitive tournaments) community chalanges, competitive tournaments, special playlist, developer created mods, comunity forge playlist, 343 vs comunity days, ect.

Ok i typed all i could think of in bold.