Halo 5 Cutscenes Confirmed 30fps

This news makes me pretty happy. 60fps cutscenes in the MCC looked kind of awkward in my opinion so I’m glad that the cutscenes in Halo 5 will be more cinematic.

Source (Second to last paragraph)

Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?

> 2533274796974117;2:
> Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?

I think cutscenes are different

Ubisoft. Take note of this.

> 2533274796974117;2:
> Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?

The gameplay itself functions at 60fps just fine. Cutscenes are intentionally 30fps.

I’m pretty happy about this. 60fps cutscenes always look unnatural to me, like the characters are moving through water.

If they transition in framerate is smooth then I think it great

> 2533274796974117;2:
> Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?

You’re not playing intense competitive Slayer during cutscenes. It can’t break anything.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274796974117;2:
> Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?

Troll confirmed.

> 2533275007850566;7:
> If they transition in framerate is smooth then I think it great

Agreed. While I think having it at 30 fps is a good idea, the transition from 60 to 30 fps seems to drastic.

Awesome, dat cinematic feel though.

> 2533274816958938;10:
> > 2533275007850566;7:
> > If they transition in framerate is smooth then I think it great
>
>
> Agreed. While I think having it at 30 fps is a good idea, the transition from 60 to 30 fps seems to drastic.

It’s not. If it were during gameplay then yes but in a cutscene it won’t be jarring at all.

> 2533274833600810;12:
> It’s not. If it were during gameplay then yes but in a cutscene it won’t be jarring at all.

I was referring to the transition from gameplay to cutscene.

But I do agree. And from this, I am thinking that they could have moments in a cutscene where there is a shift from 30 to 60 which could offer a smoother transition into gameplay.

> 2533274796974117;2:
> Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?

The cinematics are more dramatic at 30fps, 60fps makes it more ‘soap opera’-y

> 2533274938678576;14:
> > 2533274796974117;2:
> > Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?
>
>
> The cinematics are more dramatic at 30fps, 60fps makes it more ‘soap opera’-y

So some people say, but I think that’s completely untrue. As far as I’m concerned, this is just a step backwards.

> 2533274825830455;15:
> > 2533274938678576;14:
> > > 2533274796974117;2:
> > > Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?
> >
> >
> > The cinematics are more dramatic at 30fps, 60fps makes it more ‘soap opera’-y
>
>
> So some people say, but I think that’s completely untrue. As far as I’m concerned, this is just a step backwards.

Amen.

30fps anything is dated. I’ll never understand how you can prefer “cinematic” over smooth, crisp framerates. It looks fake, not cinematic.

> 2533274964465607;1:
> 60fps cutscenes in the MCC looked kind of awkward

This statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Still, this is the same strategy Metal Gear Rising utilized. While I don’t understand the necessity outside of some serious, high level motion capture that would work only at 30 frames per second, the transitions won’t be any more jarring than the sudden perspective shift anyway.

> 2533274913936758;16:
> > 2533274825830455;15:
> > > 2533274938678576;14:
> > > > 2533274796974117;2:
> > > > Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?
> > >
> > >
> > > The cinematics are more dramatic at 30fps, 60fps makes it more ‘soap opera’-y
> >
> >
> > So some people say, but I think that’s completely untrue. As far as I’m concerned, this is just a step backwards.
>
>
> Amen.
>
> 30fps anything is dated. I’ll never understand how you can prefer “cinematic” over smooth, crisp framerates. It looks fake, not cinematic.

So do you prefer watching movies in 48fps like the Hobbit? Or 120Hz TVs? Because if 30fps looks fake, then I guess you must hate all movies and TV shows.

> 2533274964465607;18:
> > 2533274913936758;16:
> > > 2533274825830455;15:
> > > > 2533274938678576;14:
> > > > > 2533274796974117;2:
> > > > > Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > The cinematics are more dramatic at 30fps, 60fps makes it more ‘soap opera’-y
> > >
> > >
> > > So some people say, but I think that’s completely untrue. As far as I’m concerned, this is just a step backwards.
> >
> >
> > Amen.
> > 30fps anything is dated. I’ll never understand how you can prefer “cinematic” over smooth, crisp framerates. It looks fake, not cinematic.
>
>
> So do you prefer watching movies in 48fps like the Hobbit? Or 120Hz TVs? Because if 30fps looks fake, then I guess you must hate all movies and TV shows.

Hobbit in 48fps was terrible.

120Hz is actually perfect for films and games, it’s a separate program for TVs that cause the “soap opera” effect and luckily you can turn it off like I did with mine.

60fps are only necessary in FPS, racing and fighting games for gameplay, so I am glad cutscenes are in 30fps.

> 2533274964465607;18:
> > 2533274913936758;16:
> > > 2533274825830455;15:
> > > > 2533274938678576;14:
> > > > > 2533274796974117;2:
> > > > > Yet the game was “optimized” for nothing less than 60fps…?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > The cinematics are more dramatic at 30fps, 60fps makes it more ‘soap opera’-y
> > >
> > >
> > > So some people say, but I think that’s completely untrue. As far as I’m concerned, this is just a step backwards.
> >
> >
> > Amen.
> >
> > 30fps anything is dated. I’ll never understand how you can prefer “cinematic” over smooth, crisp framerates. It looks fake, not cinematic.
>
>
> So do you prefer watching movies in 48fps like the Hobbit? Or 120Hz TVs? Because if 30fps looks fake, then I guess you must hate all movies and TV shows.

I do think the HFR version of The Hobbit had its merits. Filming at 48 fps was not the problem, the films suffered for reasons unrelated to the frame rate.

Preferring high frame rates doesn’t translate into hating movies and TV shows. I assume you prefer games in HD? Then you really must hate all old console games, am I right? Do you see how ridiculous this argument is?