Halo 5: Covenant language and comic relief

One of the things I loved the most with the first Halo game was the English speaking Grunts. They were fun to encounter having both comical animations and speech. This was added upon for the other races in the games up until Reach were it was supposed to be serious suddenly. Where they should at least have had the Grunts speaking English, as it would fit with them speaking the language when the Autumn lands on Halo 04.

While it can be said that it might have been too much in Halo 3, it was certaintly all too little comic relief in Reach and 4 for my taste.

Please consider bringing in a bit more comic relief in the form of behaviours and Speech/dialogue in 5 for some of the races, it really made the game much more enjoable for me.

This might also have something to do with Sgt. Johnson not being there to deliver awesome lines, so please have him teleported and healed in a superior Forerunner medical facility on the ark or a facility nearby the ark before the 04 replacement blew up.

I’m not too sure if comic relief will fit in or not due to Halo 5 being darkest Halo game in the series.

> I’m not too sure if comic relief will fit in or not due to Halo 5 being darkest Halo game in the series.

sure, but it doesn’t mean every enemy-encounter has to be dead-serious.
we’ve had trash-talking elites & grunts all over the first trilogy & it didn’t had a impact
on the Story-telling, IMHO.

Oh yes, please…let’s bring back this old school Halo taste, along with some trash talking Marines!

think star wars, an evil empire is taking over the galaxy and crushing all freedom from innocent people, yet there was still tongue in cheek humor. I can’t see why halo can’t have humor in a serious game, it can be serious when it needs to be and entertaining when it doesn’t. i dont want halo to become ‘generic gritty warfare game number 132’, it needs to regain some of it’s charm. and their only attempt at tongue and cheek humor was sarah palmer, look how that turned out… we need silly stuff and we need it now!

I’m probably going to get kicked from here to Reach for this, but I don’t want to have silly NPCs in future Halo games. Silly doesn’t belong in Halo. It worked for Star Wars because it’s a space opera with unbelievable settings and characters that doesn’t pretend to be based in any form of reality. Halo is serious science fiction that attempts as much realism as it can achieve with its subject material; whooping and laughing Marines who act like they’re on drugs during life-or-death situations, squeaky clown-voiced Grunts, and English-speaking Elites always felt jarringly out of place to me. This is one main reason I prefer 343i’s take on the universe to Bungie’s: They take their lore and science fiction seriously. Bungie’s one attempt at a gritty, serious game- Reach- was nothing but one giant canon breach. Halo 4 feels like the most interesting story in the franchise yet simply because of how believable 343 made it.

Well, actually, there is one change I think would work: Make all the Elites say nothing but “Honk” and “Blarg!”.

Comic relief is what ruined my immersion with Halo 3’s campaign. Outside of the cutscene with Lord Hood and the Shipmaster talking, I never felt like Humanity was freaking screwed. I mean, Humanity’s on the verge of extinction, the worst fear that the Covies had found Earth, the Elites are being slaughtered by the Brutes, all the Halos are about to activate, the Gravemind is ready to eat everyone, and all I hear the whole time is how my driving is worse than the marine’s mother. Total mood killer.

Sure, comic relief is nice sometimes, but Halo 3 just didn’t know when to stop until it was already too late (that is, the end of the level The Covenant is when I finally got immersed…).

As for Covenant language… I dunno. I feel like it should be a mix. When talking to their own, they should speak in their tongue. But when talking to Humans, that’s when they should speak English.

> Comic relief is what ruined my immersion with Halo 3’s campaign. Outside of the cutscene with Lord Hood and the Shipmaster talking, I never felt like Humanity was freaking screwed. I mean, Humanity’s on the verge of extinction, the worst fear that the Covies had found Earth, the Elites are being slaughtered by the Brutes, all the Halos are about to activate, the Gravemind is ready to eat everyone, and all I hear the whole time is how my driving is worse than the marine’s mother. Total mood killer.
>
> Sure, comic relief is nice sometimes, but Halo 3 just didn’t know when to stop until it was already too late (that is, the end of the level The Covenant is when I finally got immersed…).
>
>
> As for Covenant language… I dunno. <mark>I feel like it should be a mix. When talking to their own, they should speak in their tongue. But when talking to Humans, that’s when they should speak English.</mark>

If the E3 2014 story teaser with the Arbiter is anything to go by, I’d say that’s exactly what’s happening.

> One of the things I loved the most with the first Halo game was the English speaking Grunts. They were fun to encounter having both comical animations and speech. This was added upon for the other races in the games up until Reach were it was supposed to be serious suddenly. Where they should at least have had the Grunts speaking English, as it would fit with them speaking the language when the Autumn lands on Halo 04.

The reason you don’t hear Covenant speaking english in Reach is because Reach is where it hit the fan and Bungie felt it was important to convey the “alien invasion” aspect as much as possible in as many ways as possible. Canonically speaking, all the Covenant races spoke Sangheili(sp)(because that race was in charge of operations), so Bungie created an algorithm that turned english into Sangheili so that when an alien spoke, and if you took the time to learn, you might understand what they were saying, as opposed to random growls, grunts and squeaks.

Also according to canon, Unggoy pick up alien languages quickly. Reach was not the first time Unggoy encountered humans, so it was not unlikely that Unggoy could speak english by the time we encountered them on Installation 04. That, and the apparent fact that everyone in the UNSC must be required to speak English, although we learned from Reach that colonists may speak other languages. By the time the events of Halo 5 unfold I would not be surprised if Unggoy spoke Arabic.

EDIT: Was reminded by my son that Spartan II’s had translators in their MJOLNIR, and Spartan III’s did not. Therefore, while Noble Team couldn’t understand what the Covenant were saying, it didn’t matter because everyone there got the message.

We need english grunts to return.

> 2533274873409440;2:
> I’m not too sure if comic relief will fit in or not due to Halo 5 being darkest Halo game in the series.

It’s too sci-fi movie-ish and cliche to be completely serious 24/7, even real life has comic relief in grim situations. The grunts were never meant to be taken seriously, even the lore makes them look laughably pathetic.

In the halo 5 midship map a hologram of the prophet of truth was speaking in alien language. From this I am sure that the covenant won’t speak english if they appear in Halo 5. Other than the arbiter, and his covenant.