Halo 5 Cinematic is NOT Unrealistic for Halo

"It shouldn’t be that easy to put on a Spartan helmet!"

Master Chief takes his helmet off with ease at the end of Halo CE

Master Chief puts his helmet on with ease in Halo 2

Master Chief puts his helmet on with ease in Halo 3 “Starry Night” trailer

Noble Six, Kat, and Carter all put their helmets on with ease in the opening of Halo Reach

"How could they possibly fall that far without being injured or dying?!"

Noble Six falls flat on the ground (as opposed to a steep slope) from the Covenant ship Long Night of Solace, located in Reach’s orbit (far higher than Infinity was in the Halo 5 opening), and suffers zero longterm injuries

Master Chief falls from orbit in a very similar fashion to Noble Six, except his armor locks down for some time and he is knocked unconscious. No longterm injuries are sustained.

Spartans already have nearly-unbreakable bones, Osiris came down on a steep slope, Buck and Vale rolled and jumped right after making contact, Locke and Tanaka used their Thrusters to soften the landing.

"The Covenant pushed Humanity to the brink of extinction, they shouldn’t be that easy to kill!"

Miranda Keyes kills a fully-armored Brute with one shotgun shell from ~5 feet away, then drops another’s shields, bringing him to his knees, again with a single shell but from ~15 feet away.

Throughout the spartan Ops cutscenes, Fireteam Majestic and Sarah Palmer easily dispatch groups of Elites:

1. Spartan Thorne takes on a large group in hand-to-hand combat, successfully taking a few of them down before being knocked unconscious.

2. Majestic opens fire on another large group of Elites and has no trouble whatsoever holding them at bay while Thorne goes after Halsey.

3. Thorne kills an Elite with a very short burst from his assault rifle, right before Palmer shows up and kills another Elite with a few pistol rounds.

Plus other examples from the novels/comics that I obviously cannot post video proof of. Not to mention the element of surprise from Osiris dropping in behind their lines.

"They run way too fast!"

Kelly can maintain a consistent running speed of 38 MPH.

Master Chief has reached a maximum speed of 70 MPH.

Spartans have heightened reflexes as well, which allows them to make every standard motion (joint movements) much faster than regular humans.

Just saying’ guys, Spartans were always like this. Also, the reason the Covenant was able to push Humanity back so far was because of their superior naval force and their superiority to regular Marines on ground. Spartans were always a superior fighting force on the ground. Spartans just weren’t as plentiful as they are now with the Spartan IV’s (Spartan III’s were as plentiful, but they were expendable, less efficient, and were often sent on suicide missions), and the Covenant is just a remnant of its former might, so naturally they aren’t as much of a threat as they once were.

Just wanted to leave this info here for anyone interested. Bring on the hate.

I think all the people who say things like that are the ones who don’t actually know the full Halo lore, have never read the novels, etc… Spartans are SUPER SOLDIERS people! The things that Osiris are doing in that trailer are common place for the Spartans, it’s just from a gameplay standpoint, all the cool -Yoink- they can do would make it super unbalanced

Yeah, Spartans always won the ground battles, the problem was in space and the UNSC fleet.
Anyway good job OP. Nice list.

It is not only realistic for Halo, but realistic within reality and the laws of physics and combat(things that Halo really takes into consideration). I have said this in another post, but, just to add more reinforcement to your argument and support you and every other person who thinks the same, I will repeat the same information, but with some more detail.

All that occurred within the opening cutscene was realistic pertaining to the situation it presented at hand. To start off, let us ask the question of how Osiris was able to navigate through the air traffic. Their thrusters and navigation systems. How did they land on the planet smoothly and efficiently, avoiding crashing into it and injuring themselves? Perhaps the planet had a lower gravity. Also, we see they use their thrusters to slow their velocity throughout their fall and right before they land. And they most likely increased the pressure within their hydrostatic gel layer to take some of the blunt force since its advised to do this and has been done before(Halo First Strike). Also, they landed in snow and on a downward slope(physics!). How did they kill the covenant so fast? First off, the first two Elites in the trailer had thie rhseilds taken down by Locke when he ground pounded the ground in between them, taking their shields down and proceeded to be shot by Buck and Tanaka. We must also ask if they actually killed all of the Covenant(mostly the Elites) we see them attack? Perhaps they injured some or at least incapacitated more than they actually killed. The Covenant all fell down and stumbled anyway due to injuries, death, or being picked up and tossed around(poor grunts). Also, it doesn’t take a lot of 26th century bullets(realistically) to kill a grunt or jackal, especially if they’re head shots, and ARs, and SMGs can perform heads shots, realistically. Anyway, in terms of how fast they killed elites: easy, the elites were already fighting the Promethean forces, so some Elites had weakened shields which were depleted when Osiris shot them, and then either injured or killed by them (headshots), therefore making them tumble over. As for the elites with full shields, remember, Osiris probably shot them at almost point blank, so shields were taken down quicker, and the Elites were either killed by Osiris, the environment, or just simply injured. Or maybe their shields weren’t taken down and they were fine but never saw Osiris again because of other priorities and the fact that Osiris was running down the mountain. Speaking of which, their mobility comes from the suits upgraded hardware, thrusters, and a Spartan’s natural flexibility and reflexes. Now, as far as them killing the Promethean soldiers easily(which there were only two btw), we see them either shooting them at point blank(more damage) or together(2v1=more damage) therefore, the soldiers were taken down fairly easily. Also, head shots and critical shots to the Prometheans kill them quicker as expected. And, this just shows how powerful 26th century guns are. One last thing: the enemy forces were taken completely by surprise, giving Osiris a tactical advantage over their adversaries.

Hope this helps <3

Way to prove them wrong.

Is Osiris made a H.A.L.O. jump?
I know there is a jump in the army called H.A.L.O.

Of course it ain’t realistic. That cinematic was the most book-like we’ve ever seen the Spartans.

A very accurate and extensive post, bravo !

> 2533274810150284;1:
> "It shouldn’t be that easy to put on a Spartan helmet!"
>
> Master Chief takes his helmet off with ease at the end of Halo CE
>
> Master Chief puts his helmet on with ease is Halo 2
>
> Master Chief puts his helmet on with ease in Halo 3 “Starry Night” trailer
>
> Noble Six, Kat, and Carter all put their helmets on with ease in the opening of Halo Reach

People were complaining about this?

> "How could they possibly fall that far without being injured or dying?!"
>
> Noble Six falls flat on the ground (as opposed to a steep slope) from the Covenant ship Long Night of Solace, located in Reach’s orbit (far higher than Infinity was in the Halo 5 opening), and suffers zero longterm injuries
>
> Master Chief falls from orbit in a very similar fashion to Noble Six, except his armor locks down for some time and he is knocked unconscious. No longterm injuries are sustained.
>
> *Spartans already have nearly-unbreakable bones, Osiris came down on a steep slope, Buck and Vale rolled and jumped right after making contact, Locke and Tanaka used their Thrusters to soften the landing.
[/quote]
>
> The very next scene shows Noble was hurt. Mjolnir is build with all sorts of crap that could compensate but DO remember that this was a no other option scenario.
>
> This team decide to jump in, in the middle of combat. And in the middle of combat there is no assurances on how stuff happens.
> This was more like a Captain America scene. Which is also stupid.
>
>
>
> > "The Covenant pushed Humanity to the brink of extinction, they shouldn’t be that easy to kill!"
> >
> > Miranda Keyes kills a fully-armored Brute with one shotgun shell from ~5 feet away, then drops another’s shields, bringing him to his knees, again with a single shell but from ~15 feet away.
> >
> > Throughout the spartan Ops cutscenes, Fireteam Majestic and Sarah Palmer easily dispatch groups of Elites:
> >
> > 1. Spartan Thorne takes on a large group in hand-to-hand combat, successfully taking a few of them down before being knocked unconscious.
> >
> > 2. Majestic opens fire on another large group of Elites and has no trouble whatsoever holding them at bay while Thorne goes after Halsey.
> >
> > 3. Thorne kills an Elite with a very short burst from his assault rifle, right before Palmer shows up and kills another Elite with a few pistol rounds.
> >
> > *Plus other examples from the novels/comics that I obviously cannot post video proof of. Not to mention the element of surprise from Osiris dropping in behind their lines.
[/quote]
> >
> > Miranda killed a Brute that was hit by a pelican and shot a Brute who was standing there because they have orders not to kill humans.
> > Vale is taking down Zealots and Generals like they are Minors, TREMENDOUS difference.
> >
> > Also, dont use Halo 4 as an example, that was bad as well.
> >
> >
> >
> > > "They run way too fast!"
> > >
> > > Kelly can maintain a consistent running speed of 38 MPH.
> > >
> > > Master Chief has reached a maximum speed of 70 MPH.
> > >
> > > *Spartans have heightened reflexes as well, which allows them to make every standard motion (joint movements) much faster than regular humans.
[/quote]
> > >
> > > Dont know how fast they were running, my problem is that they were going down hill and they should have been leaning back cause they would’ve been falling over. Or at least they should have thrusters firing in front constantly.
> > >
> > > BTW, is maximum speed a speed they can use in combat or just the max they can run at?
> > > Cause those are two different things.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > Just saying’ guys, Spartans were always like this. Also, the reason the Covenant was able to push Humanity back so far was because of their superior naval force and their superiority to regular Marines on ground. Spartans were always a superior fighting force on the ground. Spartans just weren’t as plentiful as they are now with the Spartan IV’s (Spartan III’s were as plentiful, but they were expendable, less efficient, and were often sent on suicide missions), and the Covenant is just a remnant of its former might, so naturally they aren’t as much of a threat as they once were.
> > > >
> > > > Just wanted to leave this info here for anyone interested. Bring on the hate.
> > >
> > > The Covenant almost won cause they are better at pretty much everything. There are a few things that are equal but thats nothing compared to the overwhelming resources they have. They have a bunch of fleets made up of hundreds of ships.
> > >
> > > The 343 halo story dealing with the Covenant is really bad. The idea of all of sudden them having nothing makes absolutely no sense.

> 2533274810150284;1:
> "How could they possibly fall that far without being injured or dying?!"
>
> Noble Six falls flat on the ground (as opposed to a steep slope) from the Covenant ship Long Night of Solace, located in Reach’s orbit (far higher than Infinity was in the Halo 5 opening), and suffers zero longterm injuries
>
> Master Chief falls from orbit in a very similar fashion to Noble Six, except his armor locks down for some time and he is knocked unconscious. No longterm injuries are sustained.
>
> Spartans already have nearly-unbreakable bones, Osiris came down on a steep slope, Buck and Vale rolled and jumped right after making contact, Locke and Tanaka used their Thrusters to soften the landing.

Devil’s advocate: Noble 6 was visibly limping in the following cutscenes and you started off that mission missing half your health. Chief was, as you say, unconscious. Osiris barely even stumbled. I’m prepared to chalk that up to better armor to absorb the shock and/or thrusters changing the instantaneous downward acceleration enough to soften the blow. Still not sure how I feel about spartan 4s essentially having built in hang gliders in their armor though.

> 2533274823519895;10:
> > 2533274810150284;1:
> > "How could they possibly fall that far without being injured or dying?!"
> >
> > Noble Six falls flat on the ground (as opposed to a steep slope) from the Covenant ship Long Night of Solace, located in Reach’s orbit (far higher than Infinity was in the Halo 5 opening), and suffers zero longterm injuries
> >
> > Master Chief falls from orbit in a very similar fashion to Noble Six, except his armor locks down for some time and he is knocked unconscious. No longterm injuries are sustained.
> >
> > Spartans already have nearly-unbreakable bones, Osiris came down on a steep slope, Buck and Vale rolled and jumped right after making contact, Locke and Tanaka used their Thrusters to soften the landing.
>
>
> Devil’s advocate: Noble 6 was visibly limping in the following cutscenes and you started off that mission missing half your health. Chief was, as you say, unconscious. Osiris barely even stumbled. I’m prepared to chalk that up to better armor to absorb the shock and/or thrusters changing the instantaneous downward acceleration enough to soften the blow. Still not sure how I feel about spartan 4s essentially having built in hang gliders in their armor though.

I did say “no longterm injuries”. Those falls (Noble Six and Chief) were from orbit, the fall taken by Osiris was from in-atmosphere and they hit a steep slope coming down, whereas Chief and Six fell on flat ground.

> 2533274810150284;11:
> > 2533274823519895;10:
> > > 2533274810150284;1:
> > > "How could they possibly fall that far without being injured or dying?!"
> > >
> > > Noble Six falls flat on the ground (as opposed to a steep slope) from the Covenant ship Long Night of Solace, located in Reach’s orbit (far higher than Infinity was in the Halo 5 opening), and suffers zero longterm injuries
> > >
> > > Master Chief falls from orbit in a very similar fashion to Noble Six, except his armor locks down for some time and he is knocked unconscious. No longterm injuries are sustained.
> > >
> > > Spartans already have nearly-unbreakable bones, Osiris came down on a steep slope, Buck and Vale rolled and jumped right after making contact, Locke and Tanaka used their Thrusters to soften the landing.
> >
> >
> > Devil’s advocate: Noble 6 was visibly limping in the following cutscenes and you started off that mission missing half your health. Chief was, as you say, unconscious. Osiris barely even stumbled. I’m prepared to chalk that up to better armor to absorb the shock and/or thrusters changing the instantaneous downward acceleration enough to soften the blow. Still not sure how I feel about spartan 4s essentially having built in hang gliders in their armor though.
>
>
> I did say “no longterm injuries”. Those falls (Noble Six and Chief) were from orbit, the fall taken by Osiris was from in-atmosphere and they hit a steep slope coming down, whereas Chief and Six fell on flat ground.

Does hitting a slope actually prevent trauma that would have otherwise been suffered if the surface had been flat? Kind of an aside since I’m the first person to trash realism for the sake of interesting design, but I’d like to know.

Still, the point remains: Osiris made a HALO jump with no parachute and didn’t have so much as a scratch to show for it. Again, devil’s advocate since I actually like how this scene presented the superiority of their equipment and their unquestionably brilliant skills and strategies, but I could see why someone would need a moment to wonder why no one is grabbing their knee and breathing heavily.

> 2533274823519895;12:
> > 2533274810150284;11:
> > > 2533274823519895;10:
> > > > 2533274810150284;1:
> > > > "How could they possibly fall that far without being injured or dying?!"
> > > >
> > > > Noble Six falls flat on the ground (as opposed to a steep slope) from the Covenant ship Long Night of Solace, located in Reach’s orbit (far higher than Infinity was in the Halo 5 opening), and suffers zero longterm injuries
> > > >
> > > > Master Chief falls from orbit in a very similar fashion to Noble Six, except his armor locks down for some time and he is knocked unconscious. No longterm injuries are sustained.
> > > >
> > > > Spartans already have nearly-unbreakable bones, Osiris came down on a steep slope, Buck and Vale rolled and jumped right after making contact, Locke and Tanaka used their Thrusters to soften the landing.
> > >
> > >
> > > Devil’s advocate: Noble 6 was visibly limping in the following cutscenes and you started off that mission missing half your health. Chief was, as you say, unconscious. Osiris barely even stumbled. I’m prepared to chalk that up to better armor to absorb the shock and/or thrusters changing the instantaneous downward acceleration enough to soften the blow. Still not sure how I feel about spartan 4s essentially having built in hang gliders in their armor though.
> >
> >
> > I did say “no longterm injuries”. Those falls (Noble Six and Chief) were from orbit, the fall taken by Osiris was from in-atmosphere and they hit a steep slope coming down, whereas Chief and Six fell on flat ground.
>
>
> Does hitting a slope actually prevent trauma that would have otherwise been suffered if the surface had been flat? Kind of an aside since I’m the first person to trash realism for the sake of interesting design, but I’d actually like to know.
>
> Still, the point remains: Osiris made a HALO jump with no parachute and didn’t have so much as a scratch to show for it. Again, devil’s advocate since I actually like how this scene represented the superiority of their equipment and their unquestionably brilliant skills and strategies, but I could see why someone would need a moment to wonder why no one is grabbing their knee and breathing heavily.

Yes, it’s pretty basic physics. They hit a steep slope at an angle, so the force of them touching down was dispersed at various angles*. If they had fallen straight down onto flat land, they would have taken all of the shock straight up through their bodies and we probably would have had a different outcome. On top of the angle with which they hit the ground, they used thrusters to decrease their velocity, the gel layer in the armor absorbs almost all of the shock, and they have nearly unbreakable bones. It would be unrealistic if they didn’t land so smoothly with all of that working for them.

If they had matched the angle of the hill perfectly, they actually wouldn’t have had to roll or anything, assuming they could maintain the speed (in other words, if they could run fast enough) they were going when they made contact. The closer the angle of entry is to the angle of the landing zone, the less force with which you hit the ground, because that force is basically transferred into momentum which would then carry you forward.

So say you fell onto a steep hill going 20 MPH, but you matched the angle of the hill when you landed, you would have 20 MPH of momentum carrying you forward. If you could run at 20MPH, you wouldn’t stumble or trip or anything because you could control your own speed at that point. If you weren’t able to run at 20 MP, you would stumble, fall, and tumble down the hill. If you hit flat ground coming straight down at 20 MPH, you would take a crap ton of shock straight up through your body from the force with which you hit the ground.

> 2533274915926813;9:
> > 2533274810150284;1:
> > "It shouldn’t be that easy to put on a Spartan helmet!"
> >
> > Master Chief takes his helmet off with ease at the end of Halo CE
> >
> > Master Chief puts his helmet on with ease is Halo 2
> >
> > Master Chief puts his helmet on with ease in Halo 3 “Starry Night” trailer
> >
> > Noble Six, Kat, and Carter all put their helmets on with ease in the opening of Halo Reach
>
>
> People were complaining about this?
>
>
>
>
> > "How could they possibly fall that far without being injured or dying?!"
> >
> > Noble Six falls flat on the ground (as opposed to a steep slope) from the Covenant ship Long Night of Solace, located in Reach’s orbit (far higher than Infinity was in the Halo 5 opening), and suffers zero longterm injuries
> >
> > Master Chief falls from orbit in a very similar fashion to Noble Six, except his armor locks down for some time and he is knocked unconscious. No longterm injuries are sustained.
> >
> > Spartans already have nearly-unbreakable bones, Osiris came down on a steep slope, Buck and Vale rolled and jumped right after making contact, Locke and Tanaka used their Thrusters to soften the landing.
>
>
>
>
> The very next scene shows Noble was hurt. Mjolnir is build with all sorts of crap that could compensate but DO remember that this was a no other option scenario.
>
> This team decide to jump in, in the middle of combat. And in the middle of combat there is no assurances on how stuff happens.
> This was more like a Captain America scene. Which is also stupid.
>
>
>
>
> > "The Covenant pushed Humanity to the brink of extinction, they shouldn’t be that easy to kill!"
> >
> > Miranda Keyes kills a fully-armored Brute with one shotgun shell from ~5 feet away, then drops another’s shields, bringing him to his knees, again with a single shell but from ~15 feet away.
> >
> > Throughout the spartan Ops cutscenes, Fireteam Majestic and Sarah Palmer easily dispatch groups of Elites:
> >
> > 1. Spartan Thorne takes on a large group in hand-to-hand combat, successfully taking a few of them down before being knocked unconscious.
> >
> > 2. Majestic opens fire on another large group of Elites and has no trouble whatsoever holding them at bay while Thorne goes after Halsey.
> >
> > 3. Thorne kills an Elite with a very short burst from his assault rifle, right before Palmer shows up and kills another Elite with a few pistol rounds.
> >
> > Plus other examples from the novels/comics that I obviously cannot post video proof of. Not to mention the element of surprise from Osiris dropping in behind their lines.
>
>
>
>
> Miranda killed a Brute that was hit by a pelican and shot a Brute who was standing there because they have orders not to kill humans.
> Vale is taking down Zealots and Generals like they are Minors, TREMENDOUS difference.
>
> Also, dont use Halo 4 as an example, that was bad as well.
>
>
>
>
> > "They run way too fast!"
> >
> > Kelly can maintain a consistent running speed of 38 MPH.
> >
> > Master Chief has reached a maximum speed of 70 MPH.
> >
> > Spartans have heightened reflexes as well, which allows them to make every standard motion (joint movements) much faster than regular humans.
>
>
>
>
> Dont know how fast they were running, my problem is that they were going down hill and they should have been leaning back cause they would’ve been falling over. Or at least they should have thrusters firing in front constantly.
>
> BTW, is maximum speed a speed they can use in combat or just the max they can run at?
> Cause those are two different things.
>
>
>
>
> > Just saying’ guys, Spartans were always like this. Also, the reason the Covenant was able to push Humanity back so far was because of their superior naval force and their superiority to regular Marines on ground. Spartans were always a superior fighting force on the ground. Spartans just weren’t as plentiful as they are now with the Spartan IV’s (Spartan III’s were as plentiful, but they were expendable, less efficient, and were often sent on suicide missions), and the Covenant is just a remnant of its former might, so naturally they aren’t as much of a threat as they once were.
> >
> > Just wanted to leave this info here for anyone interested. Bring on the hate.
>
>
> The Covenant almost won cause they are better at pretty much everything. There are a few things that are equal but thats nothing compared to the overwhelming resources they have. They have a bunch of fleets made up of hundreds of ships.
>
> The 343 halo story dealing with the Covenant is really bad. The idea of all of sudden them having nothing makes absolutely no sense.

Getting a Pelican into the middle of this conflict between the Covenant and Prometheans probably would have ended far worse.
Air dropping in behind enemy lines for a surprise attack down the hill was a pretty brilliant strategy.
And Osiris landed on a snowy slope, which alone automatically decreases the damage they would be taking from landing after already slowing down with thrusters, but most of them roll into it too, further decreasing the stress they’d have taken on the landing.

A Shotgun still kills/disables an enemy in one hit, and Buck was using a shotgun for all his kills down the slope. They were also weakening enemies through ground pounds and assisting fire.
Vale boarded a Phantom, completely catching the Elites by surprised, blocked a swing, and unloaded her entire clip into its gut and then kicked it out of the Phantom. I wouldn’t exactly say that it was easy or the Elites were pathetic. It’s not like she one shot them with her magnum. And when Vale rejoins the scene, the other Elite is still alive in the Phantom. Osiris isn’t exactly looking to kill them all, they’re just blasting past them and taking advantage of the element of surprise.
Every single Covenant soldier on this mountain has absolutely no idea that Osiris is making their way down. They’re concentrating on the Prometheans shooting at them. Chief deflected a missile with his arm once, so it’s not like Spartans can’t take advantage of situations and react incredibly fast to what’s going on.

Chief ran that speed in the middle of a combat zone, though it’s not something they can sustain for long. Just an emergency sprint. But with Thrusters and improved tech, maintaining a speed closer to or higher than Kelly’s might be feasible.

The concept that the Elites don’t have anything and don’t know how to operate anything more advanced than a toaster was introduced in the Kilo 5 trilogy… and pretty much got gradually retconned right after that. The concentration of ships in this battle shows that, and the capacity for the Arbiter to wage war against Jul’s Covenant shows that they have a lot of stuff and abilities left.

> 2533274810150284;13:
> > 2533274823519895;12:
> > > 2533274810150284;11:
> > > > 2533274823519895;10:
> > > > > 2533274810150284;1:
> > > > > "How could they possibly fall that far without being injured or dying?!"
> > > > >
> > > > > Noble Six falls flat on the ground (as opposed to a steep slope) from the Covenant ship Long Night of Solace, located in Reach’s orbit (far higher than Infinity was in the Halo 5 opening), and suffers zero longterm injuries
> > > > >
> > > > > Master Chief falls from orbit in a very similar fashion to Noble Six, except his armor locks down for some time and he is knocked unconscious. No longterm injuries are sustained.
> > > > >
> > > > > Spartans already have nearly-unbreakable bones, Osiris came down on a steep slope, Buck and Vale rolled and jumped right after making contact, Locke and Tanaka used their Thrusters to soften the landing.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Devil’s advocate: Noble 6 was visibly limping in the following cutscenes and you started off that mission missing half your health. Chief was, as you say, unconscious. Osiris barely even stumbled. I’m prepared to chalk that up to better armor to absorb the shock and/or thrusters changing the instantaneous downward acceleration enough to soften the blow. Still not sure how I feel about spartan 4s essentially having built in hang gliders in their armor though.
> > >
> > >
> > > I did say “no longterm injuries”. Those falls (Noble Six and Chief) were from orbit, the fall taken by Osiris was from in-atmosphere and they hit a steep slope coming down, whereas Chief and Six fell on flat ground.
> >
> >
> > Does hitting a slope actually prevent trauma that would have otherwise been suffered if the surface had been flat? Kind of an aside since I’m the first person to trash realism for the sake of interesting design, but I’d actually like to know.
> >
> > Still, the point remains: Osiris made a HALO jump with no parachute and didn’t have so much as a scratch to show for it. Again, devil’s advocate since I actually like how this scene represented the superiority of their equipment and their unquestionably brilliant skills and strategies, but I could see why someone would need a moment to wonder why no one is grabbing their knee and breathing heavily.
>
>
> Yes, it’s pretty basic physics. They hit a steep slope at an angle, so the force of them touching down was dispersed at various angles*. If they had fallen straight down onto flat land, they would have taken all of the shock straight up through their bodies and we probably would have had a different outcome. On top of the angle with which they hit the ground, they used thrusters to decrease their velocity, the gel layer in the armor absorbs almost all of the shock, and they have nearly unbreakable bones. It would be unrealistic if they didn’t land so smoothly with all of that working for them.
>
> *
>
>
>
> If they had matched the angle of the hill perfectly, they actually wouldn’t have had to roll or anything, assuming they could maintain speed (in other words, if they could run fast enough) they were going when they made contact. The closer the angle of entry is to the angle of the landing zone, the less force with which you hit the ground, because that force is basically transferred into momentum which would then carry you forward.
>
> So say you fell onto a steep hill going 20 MPH, but you matched the angle of the hill when you landed, you would have 20 MPH of momentum carrying you forward. If you could run at 20MPH, you wouldn’t stumble or trip or anything because you could control your own speed at that point. If you weren’t able to run at 20 MP, you would stumble, fall, and tumble down the hill. If you hit flat ground coming straight down at 20 MPH, you would take a crap ton of shock straight up through your body from the force with which you hit the ground.
>

Oh, right, I hadn’t considered multiple points of contact. It’s Sunday, -Yoink!-; I reserve the right not to do any critical thinking for another day.

Seriously though, fair enough

> 2533274823519895;15:
> > 2533274810150284;13:
> > > 2533274823519895;12:
> > > > 2533274810150284;11:
> > > > > 2533274823519895;10:
> > > > > > 2533274810150284;1:
> > > > > > "How could they possibly fall that far without being injured or dying?!"
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Noble Six falls flat on the ground (as opposed to a steep slope) from the Covenant ship Long Night of Solace, located in Reach’s orbit (far higher than Infinity was in the Halo 5 opening), and suffers zero longterm injuries
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Master Chief falls from orbit in a very similar fashion to Noble Six, except his armor locks down for some time and he is knocked unconscious. No longterm injuries are sustained.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Spartans already have nearly-unbreakable bones, Osiris came down on a steep slope, Buck and Vale rolled and jumped right after making contact, Locke and Tanaka used their Thrusters to soften the landing.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Devil’s advocate: Noble 6 was visibly limping in the following cutscenes and you started off that mission missing half your health. Chief was, as you say, unconscious. Osiris barely even stumbled. I’m prepared to chalk that up to better armor to absorb the shock and/or thrusters changing the instantaneous downward acceleration enough to soften the blow. Still not sure how I feel about spartan 4s essentially having built in hang gliders in their armor though.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I did say “no longterm injuries”. Those falls (Noble Six and Chief) were from orbit, the fall taken by Osiris was from in-atmosphere and they hit a steep slope coming down, whereas Chief and Six fell on flat ground.
> > >
> > >
> > > Does hitting a slope actually prevent trauma that would have otherwise been suffered if the surface had been flat? Kind of an aside since I’m the first person to trash realism for the sake of interesting design, but I’d actually like to know.
> > >
> > > Still, the point remains: Osiris made a HALO jump with no parachute and didn’t have so much as a scratch to show for it. Again, devil’s advocate since I actually like how this scene represented the superiority of their equipment and their unquestionably brilliant skills and strategies, but I could see why someone would need a moment to wonder why no one is grabbing their knee and breathing heavily.
> >
> >
> > Yes, it’s pretty basic physics. They hit a steep slope at an angle, so the force of them touching down was dispersed at various angles*. If they had fallen straight down onto flat land, they would have taken all of the shock straight up through their bodies and we probably would have had a different outcome. On top of the angle with which they hit the ground, they used thrusters to decrease their velocity, the gel layer in the armor absorbs almost all of the shock, and they have nearly unbreakable bones. It would be unrealistic if they didn’t land so smoothly with all of that working for them.
> >
> > *
> >
> >
> >
> > If they had matched the angle of the hill perfectly, they actually wouldn’t have had to roll or anything, assuming they could maintain speed (in other words, if they could run fast enough) they were going when they made contact. The closer the angle of entry is to the angle of the landing zone, the less force with which you hit the ground, because that force is basically transferred into momentum which would then carry you forward.
> >
> > So say you fell onto a steep hill going 20 MPH, but you matched the angle of the hill when you landed, you would have 20 MPH of momentum carrying you forward. If you could run at 20MPH, you wouldn’t stumble or trip or anything because you could control your own speed at that point. If you weren’t able to run at 20 MP, you would stumble, fall, and tumble down the hill. If you hit flat ground coming straight down at 20 MPH, you would take a crap ton of shock straight up through your body from the force with which you hit the ground.
> >

>
>
> Oh, right, I hadn’t considered multiple points of contact. It’s Sunday, -Yoink!-; I reserve the right not to do any critical thinking for another day.
>
> Seriously though, fair enough

I wish I could turn it off, but I just love knowledge too damn much!

It was a good question, and I’m glad you asked it rather than giving a typical internet “nuh-uh, you liar!” response.

Thank you! Someone who knows what they’re talking about. Now try to tell this to the YouTube comments section…

Personally, I like the new Spartans and their abilities. Their advanced suits are the product of all the forerunner technology Humanity has reverse-engineered. So naturally, they’d be much more powerful than anything the Covenant Remnant could muster. I think it was said in a Spartan Ops cutscene that Humanity is the ‘big fish’ of the universe now, in the scene where the Infinity rams a covenant ship.

> 2533274832934804;17:
> Thank you! Someone who knows what they’re talking about. Now try to tell this to the YouTube comments section…
>
> Personally, I like the new Spartans and their abilities. Their advanced suits are the product of all the forerunner technology Humanity has reverse-engineered. So naturally, they’d be much more powerful than anything the Covenant Remnant could muster. I think it was said in a Spartan Ops cutscene that Humanity is the ‘big fish’ of the universe now, in the scene where the Infinity rams a covenant ship.

Most of them are surprised that Nathan Fillion is in the game so I wouldn’t exactly take their word on anything related to Halo.

“Oh my gosh, is that Nathan Fillion?!”
“Yeah, he was in ODST in 2009.”
“So how’d he become a Spartan?!”**“Maybe if you paid the slightest bit of attention to the extended universe, you wouldn’t be asking either of those questions.”

For the record, putting on/taking off helmets in all those examples required two hands and a twist-lock motion, whereas Locke was able to just toss it on like a top hat (still a stupid thing to complain about, but I see where they’re coming from).

Noble Six: Re-Entry Pack.

Master Chief: In Halo 3 he rode a piece of the Forerunner ship down to the surface, in Halo 4 I have no idea, but mind you that was written by the same guys who made the cinematic, so…

That’s all I got. I understand the rest was a result of enhanced tech and Covenant taken completely off guard. I’d just rather scenes like this not become standard Spartan combat, this is the second time we’ve seen a full Covenant army get run through like nothing in Halo 5.

If this is what people are saying to try and bash the trailer, then wow, that’s just sad