Halo 5 Campaign

Let’s face it. The Halo 5 Campaign was nothing as we were expecting or told. The trailers were misleading (not 100% false but misleading) and some just didn’t make sense. I’m not going to go into those however because they’re pretty obvious and that’s not what I’m bringing up.

Besides the fact of what I stated, Halo 5 was a great campaign. Yeah Chief was only in 3 missions (should’ve had more IMO), but the story expanded so much. Cortana is now about to activate a Halo ring and Arbiter is back. Who expected Cortana to be an enemy on top of the Forerunners and Covenant; I didn’t. Anyway we also got to visit Sanghelios, something huge for people that care about the story. The battles were intense and you learned a lot about the characters that you didn’t learn from the books (all of these characters with the exception of Locke are in books if you didn’t know). People also complain about the ending, but it’s almost the exact same as Halo 2’s and people raged about it in 2004, but now everyone calls it their favorite or one of the best Halos. I’m not saying it’s perfect, but it’s great.

Please don’t make this thread about multiplayer either because they are completely different and have very different issues. Not to mention the 500,000,000,000 threads that discuss those problems.

I love the campaign, sure I was expecting something else but it was still really good in my opinion.

> 2533274883270007;2:
> I love the campaign, sure I was expecting something else but it was still really good in my opinion.

at first I was angry, but when I went back and played more and thought about it I loved it. Unfortunately I was angry because of all those trailers, but now theyre long gone. Chief never faked his death lol and neither chief or locke were down with a magnum to their heads by the other one.

I enjoyed the campaign, the banter between the team members, but yes the trailers and marketing campaign, very misleading.

Wait! We learned stuff about the characters in this game? What did we learn? Where’s the traits and personality of each member of blue team? Oh, linda carries a sniper rifle? That’s all we’re getting? What about team Osiris outside of the painfully forced exposition dialogue and cortana “roasting” them at the end, what do we learn about them? Locke, he was an oni agent, he’s black because they need diversity, and he has the personality of sandpaper. Vale, she knows about the sangehi and that’s it. Tanaka…is just there because we need another woman to be more inclusive and diverse. Buck was already established, but is not expanded upon.

> 2533274871914584;3:
> > 2533274883270007;2:
> > I love the campaign, sure I was expecting something else but it was still really good in my opinion.
>
>
> at first I was angry, but when I went back and played more and thought about it I loved it. Unfortunately I was angry because of all those trailers, but now theyre long gone. Chief never faked his death lol and neither chief or locke were down with a magnum to their heads by the other one.

I’m almost the exact opposite. At first I thought it was just OK, nothing special. Cortana’s role was not well written and don’t get me started on Locke.

I easily… very easily… have double digit play throughs of every Halo campaign from CE up to 4. Full play throughs, not just favorite levels… although I probably don’t have as many of 4 as the others, but it was still a pretty good campaign IMO. Couldn’t do that in H5… it just became a repetitive grind fest to get through the levels I didn’t like, just to play the ones I did.

Just because I could’ve skipped levels I didn’t like is beside the point. At the worst in any previous halo, I didn’t mind going through certain levels just to play through the whole campaign’s story again. If memory serves, I have 4 full play throughs of H5 and just couldn’t do another… at least not without skipping some levels. Mostly the ones with Warden Eternal. IMO, what a cheap, lazy and uninspired way to draw out some levels. He wasn’t even much fun to fight and if that wasn’t bad enough, hey, let’s fight 2! But wait… there’s more! They should’ve just named him Louis Letrush.

I agree. I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite by any means, but overall it was a fun ride with lots of cool moments, great level design, and an interesting premise that set up Halo 6 well. I would absolutely agree that the marketing was misleading, but I chalk a lot of that up to miscommunication between 343 and the Microsoft PR/Marketing team, and also a harsh deadline that meant they had to narrow their ambitions. Regardless, I found it interesting and above all, fun. The story (although heavily reliant on knowledge of previous Halo events) was fairly engaging, to me at least.

The campaign was freaking amazing

> 2533274923887646;5:
> Wait! We learned stuff about the characters in this game? What did we learn? Where’s the traits and personality of each member of blue team? Oh, linda carries a sniper rifle? That’s all we’re getting? What about team Osiris outside of the painfully forced exposition dialogue and cortana “roasting” them at the end, what do we learn about them? Locke, he was an oni agent, he’s black because they need diversity, and he has the personality of sandpaper. Vale, she knows about the sangehi and that’s it. Tanaka…is just there because we need another woman to be more inclusive and diverse. Buck was already established, but is not expanded upon.

you actually learn about about vale’s childhood, but either way it is expanded upon for each character. Either way you complain that they werent given a backstory in the game or learned nothing about them, however the games never really explained Johnson, Keyes, Palmer, Lasky, or really anyone but Chief, cortana, and halsey

> 2533274963205596;7:
> I agree. I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite by any means, but overall it was a fun ride with lots of cool moments, great level design, and an interesting premise that set up Halo 6 well. I would absolutely agree that the marketing was misleading, but I chalk a lot of that up to miscommunication between 343 and the Microsoft PR/Marketing team, and also a harsh deadline that meant they had to narrow their ambitions. Regardless, I found it interesting and above all, fun. The story (although heavily reliant on knowledge of previous Halo events) was fairly engaging, to me at least.

agreed

> 2594261035368257;6:
> > 2533274871914584;3:
> > > 2533274883270007;2:
> > > I love the campaign, sure I was expecting something else but it was still really good in my opinion.
> >
> >
> > at first I was angry, but when I went back and played more and thought about it I loved it. Unfortunately I was angry because of all those trailers, but now theyre long gone. Chief never faked his death lol and neither chief or locke were down with a magnum to their heads by the other one.
>
>
> I’m almost the exact opposite. At first I thought it was just OK, nothing special. Cortana’s role was not well written and don’t get me started on Locke.
>
> I easily… very easily… have double digit play throughs of every Halo campaign from CE up to 4. Full play throughs, not just favorite levels… although I probably don’t have as many of 4 as the others, but it was still a pretty good campaign IMO. Couldn’t do that in H5… it just became a repetitive grind fest to get through the levels I didn’t like, just to play the ones I did.
>
> Just because I could’ve skipped levels I didn’t like is beside the point. At the worst in any previous halo, I didn’t mind going through certain levels just to play through the whole campaign’s story again. If memory serves, I have 4 full play throughs of H5 and just couldn’t do another… at least not without skipping some levels. Mostly the ones with Warden Eternal. IMO, what a cheap, lazy and uninspired way to draw out some levels. He wasn’t even much fun to fight and if that wasn’t bad enough, hey, let’s fight 2! But wait… there’s more! They should’ve just named him Louis Letrush.

fair enough i understand your point. i noticed that i dont think i can play it as much as the old ones either though

> 2533274871914584;1:
> Let’s face it. The Halo 5 Campaign was nothing as we were expecting or told. The trailers were misleading (not 100% false but misleading) and some just didn’t make sense. I’m not going to go into those however because they’re pretty obvious and that’s not what I’m bringing up.
>
> Besides the fact of what I stated, Halo 5 was a great campaign. Yeah Chief was only in 3 missions (should’ve had more IMO), but the story expanded so much. Cortana is now about to activate a Halo ring and Arbiter is back. Who expected Cortana to be an enemy on top of the Forerunners and Covenant; I didn’t. Anyway we also got to visit Sanghelios, something huge for people that care about the story. The battles were intense and you learned a lot about the characters that you didn’t learn from the books (all of these characters with the exception of Locke are in books if you didn’t know). People also complain about the ending, but it’s almost the exact same as Halo 2’s and people raged about it in 2004, but now everyone calls it their favorite or one of the best Halos. I’m not saying it’s perfect, but it’s great.
>
> Please don’t make this thread about multiplayer either because they are completely different and have very different issues. Not to mention the 500,000,000,000 threads that discuss those problems.

My least favorite campaign sadly

I think h5 campaign was the worst imo. It misleading was a big part of it but even if I ignored that it still lacks. I disagree that we learn much of the characters in h5. Who’s Kelly? Linda? Fred? They hyped blue team up due to their “legendary status” in the books but what in the game should I remember about them? Who’s tanka? Vale? Locke? (I leave buck out since I’ve played ODST and know a bit about him already) all we know is one team has supposedly gone AWOL and another is chasing them and bringing them back. Why is Osiris specifically hunting blue team down? What makes them so special? How does h4 correlate to h5? Cortina was “supposed” to be dead but she isn’t, not only that but you make her evil after bringing her back. Where does chief deal with cortanas death? Can’t happen now. If you’re a brand new fan of the franchise you’ll have no idea what’s going on. Even some halo fans who don’t read the books would have no idea what’s going on. What did the game accomplish? If blue team or Osiris took the day off cortanas still gets all the guardians and nothing really happens. All h5 is, is going down a path till you hit the end, only to then set you on a new path (h6) to see where that one leads.h5 had no resolution to anything other than the covenant seem to be done for finally with that elites death at the start of the game.

I still loved it.

I am still so disappointed with this campaign. No idea if there was a overhaul in the middle of story development like some suspect. All I know is that the end product not only severely underwhelms, it also appears to me as a lack of confidence 343 had in themselves and in their capabilities to tell this story. Resorting to nonsensical dialogue just to shoehorn in some shock value moments…recycling a pointless villain all for the sake of extending run time…adding one-dimensional Osiris and stifling Blue Team’s dynamic we see in novels just to say they added some new and old faces to the game and call it a day. To me it just feels so sloppy, so rushed, like this was a first draft, like the rules of narrative were thrown out the window.

And as for the ending, there really isn’t anything wrong with a cliffhanger. The lack of resolution and the fact that we as the player have absolutely no effect in the grand scheme of the game–those are the reasons the ending is problematic.

I was not impressed, changed the feel of Halo campaign and my nostalgia from playing the other Halo campaigns is dead forever it seems.

I feel like it could have been put together better. It was okay, but I hope the next Halo story we get with 6 is going to blow us away!

There’s hopefully something good is coming for Cortana in H6. She protected the Master Chief from the Warden and his team that had always been loyal to him. I hope that the writer has something good for Cortana in H6. Like exiling Eternal Warden so we have an opponent like the Covenant was at the beginning. That would put tons of more variables into the story. Besides all that, Cortana was really hot looking in H4 we don’t want to lose her like we did Johnson and Keyes daughter. Kudos to the art team!

100% agree with your post man. I ranked on a forum earlier today which games, in order, were my favorite from a campaign, multiplayer, and overall standpoint. I was somewhat surprised, not shocked, to see that Halo 5 wound up being only behind 3 and Reach in terms of my favorite campaign experience, and my 2nd favorite Halo game in the entire series.

Without question, the ads were very, very misleading on several fronts. Which is annoying as a consumer, but considering I thoroughly enjoyed the product regardless, I’m not that upset about it. The reality is that Halo 5, in my opinion, actually FELT like a universe-wide story for once, whereas we’d basically been contained to Halo rings or Earth in all of the past titles. Reach, Earth, 04, 05, the Ark, Requiem… all of these are very well known and close to home settings. Safe ones.

I LOVED that Halo 5 actually opened everyone’s eyes to several different planets in the universe previously only mentioned or unheard of entirely… it was fascinating seeing Sloan and the mining colony, for example. Incredible fighting alongside the Arbiter to save Sanghelios. Seeing people in awe of the Spartan IV’s, or hating them and hearing of their legend on other planets. I mean, for once, Halo felt like a galaxy-wide story, and not just another day on the job.

I loved it. Could the game have been better? Absolutely. Chief should have DESTROYED Locke in a hand-to-hand fight, for example. Or at least not looked like he was an old man slugging. I wish someone, any of the main characters, would have died along the way to add weight to the story (can you imagine the Arbiter dying in the effort to save his home-world? Or Lasky and Infinity being taken out by a Guardian after the final cut-scene? Would have made it much darker!). But the twist was interesting and the stakes have been raised dramatically entering the 6th game. Can’t wait!!

I agree. The campaign had some redeeming qualities (big Warden fan right here) but they ultimately shafted a lot of their extended universe to make the story more user friendly. This is in contrast to what they did in Halo 4… where if you had not read the books you would have been completely lost.

Also, Halsey (our resident forum user) has compiled some impressive lists about things wrong with the Halo 5 campaign. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made an appearance in this thread. If he doesn’t do so by the time I get back, I will post his work so you can see.

Credit goes to Dr. Halsey. Again, that’s the forum user…