Halo 5 campaign offline/LAN request topic

In accordance with stckrboy’s reprimand, I’m creating a new topic to house my offline LAN request for Halo 5 out of the split-screen topic. Starting off with my two posts in that topic.

"I was very disappointed that they dropped split-screen too. Also, I was very disappointed that even the alternative, offline LAN, was also dropped. Even the first Halo game to drop split-screen (Halo Wars) had offline LAN. Halo 5 dropping all these features and locking almost all the game behind online/Gold left a real bad taste in my mouth.

I have family that I play games with who are not interested in online gaming whatsoever and certainly aren’t interested in gaming through Gold subs, so how do I play games with them? Through split-screen or offline LAN.

Playing this series with a family member via split-screen and offline LAN has been a very meaningful and cherished experience for me. So where does that leave Halo 5?

I agree with everyone that split-screen shouldn’t have been dropped, but worse yet LAN was dropped, any hope of offline co-op was done. Yet I understand that split-screen is a pain to implement, so I’m not asking for split-screen in Halo 5, I’m asking that offline LAN be added. A lot of work? I imagine so, but it must be easier then adding split-screen.

Should I make my own topic about offline LAN or is it all good staying here?

I’m going as far as asking for offline LAN to be added to everything in Halo 5. Campaign, multi-player, Warzone, Forge. This entails updates allowing the majority of these modes to even be playable offline, but I’m willing to concede every mode dead to local multi-player hopes if I can just have offline LAN for the campaign. Please 343i, I really appreciate everything you’ve done for MCC, please at least give us offline LAN for Halo 5, and at the very least offline LAN for Halo 5 campaign.

Thanks for your consideration."

Second Post:
"

> 2533274813317074;3096:
> > 2533274826326833;3095:
> > …Please 343i, I really appreciate everything you’ve done for MCC, please at least give us offline LAN for Halo 5, and at the very least offline LAN for Halo 5 campaign…
>
> Tech limitations meant that it wasn’t possible to deliver splitscreen for Halo 5, which is still true. Additionally things like this are just too far out of scope now for Halo 5. It will be returning for future games, but outside of playlist updates and matchmaking tweaks there won’t be any further major features added to the game

Recently learning more about the technical limitations of Halo 5, I understand about split-screen, so I’m not going to argue the point with you. That’s why in my post I said,
".****…so I’m not asking for split-screen in Halo 5, I’m asking that offline LAN be added. A lot of work? I imagine so, but it must be easier then adding split-screen." It’s my understanding that split-screen and LAN are two different beasts. LAN being closer to online, I imagine would be much easier to implement then split-screen.
Plus I’m just asking for LAN (offline LAN/Goldless LAN) for Halo 5 campaign, which should possibly be easier then bringing all the multi-player modes to LAN as well. As for bringing LAN to Halo 5 campaign being “just too far out of scope”. I can’t understand why it should be. 343i is being generous enough to go back further, to MCC, and ‘make it right’, then certainly LAN for Halo 5 campaign shouldn’t be off the table.

Also something interesting came to light recently. A recent 343i stream revealed that Halo 5 has been dropped into the Slipspace engine and worked. The Slipspace engine supports split-screen, and LAN has been promised for Halo Infinite. I can see a “Legendary” Edition of Halo 5 being released that plays on the Slipspace engine, that at the very least allows for LAN. And once again, at least LAN for the campaign.

Once again, I really appreciate all the work 343i has done/is doing for MCC, especially were LAN is concerned. And the return of split-screen and LAN for future Halo games including Infinite is very welcome! Still, I don’t think my pared down wish list is unreasonable.

1. LAN for Halo 5 campaign.
  2. LAN for Halo Wars 2 all modes.

I want LAN for co-op mode in Spartan Assault too, but I know that must be asking too much, because it’s hard enough getting a console release of Spartan Strike. And I’d rather have a console release of Strike then LAN for co-op mode in Assault.

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out. Really looking forward to Infinte! Happy New Year!"

I think offline LAN was and probably won’t be back is because it’s not used by enough players any more. I don’t see them adding it to H5. H5 is done outside some playlist tuning so to speak. It maybe available in Infinite but even that is unlikely.

Halo 5 doesn’t have LAN either. As you said it would take alot of time and effort to implement it which 343 doesn’t have or doesn’t want to give to the matter. 343 has turned attention to their new project, so Halo 5 mostly likely will not get any of the things you ask for.

I will agree that the capabilities are great but it most likely won’t be added do to time constraints and technical limitations.

> 2533274826326833;1:
> Also something interesting came to light recently. A recent 343i stream revealed that <mark>Halo 5 has been dropped into the Slipspace engine and worked</mark>. The Slipspace engine supports split-screen, and LAN has been promised for Halo Infinite. I can see a “Legendary” Edition of Halo 5 being released that plays on the Slipspace engine, that at the very least allows for LAN.

Do you have a link to the stream or the clip where they mentioned this? I’ve been at all their recent streams and I don’t remember this coming up, though I could just have missed it.

> 2533274900766535;3:
> Halo 5 doesn’t have LAN either.

H5 doesn’t have native LAN, but using the external local network tool for H5, you can play it over LAN: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/local-server.

> 2533274813317074;4:
> > 2533274826326833;1:
> > Also something interesting came to light recently. A recent 343i stream revealed that Halo 5 has been dropped into the Slipspace engine and worked. The Slipspace engine supports split-screen, and LAN has been promised for Halo Infinite. I can see a “Legendary” Edition of Halo 5 being released that plays on the Slipspace engine, that at the very least allows for LAN.
>
> Do you have a link to the stream or the clip where they mentioned this? I’ve been at all their recent streams and I don’t remember this coming up, though I could just have missed it.

No, I only have the info second hand. Here is the link to the piece I read talking about Halo 5 in the Slipspace engine.
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/halo-infinite-stream-reveals-info-about-early-access-pc-split-screen/

About LAN for Halo Infinite. Bonnie Ross confirmed it in her Twitter feed. When asked specifically about LAN, she answered “yes”.

As for adding LAN to Halo 5 campaign, yes, I imagine it would be a lot of work, but must be less work then split-screen, seeing as LAN is much closer to “online” in nature. Something Halo 5 is already well set up with.

Also, thanks for providing the link about the Halo 5 Guardians Local Server app. No Gold membership is required for boxes connected, just internet connectivity. So that is something at least. I want to thank 343i for releasing that helpful app! Yet, I’m still pulling for native LAN support for Halo 5 campaign, either through an update to Halo 5, or a new “Legendary” Edition of Halo 5 built with the Slipspace engine.

Does the local server tool allow playing campaign? It only mentions about multiplayer games, so just wanted to clarify.

sì ou can doing campain

> 2533274949193522;7:
> Does the local server tool allow playing campaign? It only mentions about multiplayer games, so just wanted to clarify.

I answered the topic you made about this a few weeks ago - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/does-the-halo-5-local-server-allow-campaign/a8c7b464-36d6-4b03-966f-223501f1ca43/posts?page=1#post2