Halo 5 Campaign is pretty much Spartan Ops...

Think about it: You’re a random assortment of spartans organized into a fireteam that’s ordered around by Palmer and Lasky the entire time. They could have replaced Osiris with Majestic from Spartan Ops season 1 and it would have played out exactly the same.

I feel like there’s been a lot of erratic things happening in 343i right now… The new interface is amazing, the campaign (gameplay-wise) was fantastic, and the introduction of Warzone has brought unprecidented weapon customization options to the table. On the flip side, armor customization is abysmal, the storytelling was very poorly paced, characters experienced very little, if no development at all (see: Arbiter in Halo 2), and kill times in MP (as well as grenade spamming) make it feel like COD more than Halo.

Essentially, they’re getting a lot of things right, but also making a lot of really silly mistakes and oversights.

Opinions?

Well, to be fair the Spartans are not random, they’re actually canonically correct and somewhat interesting.
Armor customization is a little lackluster, as half the armor is ugly, and the colors don’t help all that much. There’s also just so much of it, a lot of them being different skins of the same thing.
The story wasn’t all that great either, the campaign shined the most on Sanghelios for me, and that was only because it was pretty, Arbiter and his posse was there, and generally, there were very few forerunners.

I believe Halo 5 took a few steps in the wrong direction, like adding in microtransactions. I think it’s certainly an enjoyable game, despite it’s handful of flaws.
It’s the little things that matter to me, like how the lobbys aren’t that great, and the menus are a little confusing to go through. The colors are just a bit off, for the armors. Generally, I think the combat is alright. Certainly not anything like the Halos before it, it is much much much more fast-paced, which I can get with to an extent. I wish I didn’t have to worry about stuff like ADS unless I’m using a scoped weapon.

The maps aren’t that great either, lacks a sort of variety. It’s either snow, a grassy environment, or (the biggest portion of it) industrial looking maps. I loved the more natural feeling maps had in the old games, with environments that really felt like they breathed, with simple touches here and there. More underground maps would be great, Fathom got it right, to an extent. It’s really neat, but you don’t really see you’re underwater that much. I just want more dirty maps, some desert maps, you know?
I hope the maps we get aren’t just forge reworks of other maps! We need some more themes to go by!

They might be cannon, but they had 0 development in the game. The only reason we had backstory on them was because:

Cortana read their files out loud during the final mission.

Fortunately it’s better than that abomination of a game mode Spartan Ops.

> 2533274848033746;3:
> They might be cannon, but they had 0 development in the game. The only reason we had backstory on them was because:
> Cortana read their files out loud during the final mission.

Except they already had their back stories explained in other media. Sure it would have been nice to have a bit more in the campaign but since I already knew their back stories I didn’t mind the lack of really any info on them.

I’m pretty sure we had some back story on Buck from the games somewhere, but I can’t quite remember where exactly. I wanna say maybe somewhere within Reach and ODST, but I could be mistaken :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274848033746;1:
> They could have replaced Osiris with Majestic from Spartan Ops season 1 and it would have played out exactly the same.

Actually, according to Brian Reed, it was originally going to be Fireteam Majestic, and even after that plan was scrapped, early versions of Fireteam Osiris included Thorne (as well as Palmer, who was eventually replaced with Tanaka). The only reason why Thorne was switched for Buck was because Thorne’s voice actor, Ethan Peck, wasn’t available.

> 2533274848033746;3:
> They might be cannon, but they had 0 development in the game. The only reason we had backstory on them was because:
> Cortana read their files out loud during the final mission.

Am I the only one that loved that part. I wish they implemented more of that kind of dialogue through out the game (AKA well written)

You know your right, I couldnt put it into words probally why I was finding it boring

> 2533274822820920;2:
> The maps aren’t that great either, lacks a sort of variety. It’s either snow, a grassy environment, or (the biggest portion of it) industrial looking maps. I loved the more natural feeling maps had in the old games, with environments that really felt like they breathed, with simple touches here and there.

Totally agree. One of my biggest problems with the maps is that they just don’t look believable or functional in-universe. Look at Pegasus. What? It’s just shapes and cylinders. Nothing about it is real. Even Plaza, which is supposedly a future street layout, feels nothing like a real location.