Halo 5 Boats + Poll!

Halo has great potential for boats - look at this Halo Reach Watercraft Prototype and tell me it doesn’t look even a tiny bit impressive for such an early build: http://youtu.be/l7gww5l7edY?t=59s

Even Halo Megabloks have a mock up animation with a boat/water craft in use for their stop motion animation!: http://youtu.be/hyk2AzefH4g?t=3m7s
(That animation was based on a story created by ‘343 Industries’)

Some maps (Images Below.) could be made specifically like this (First is New Mombasa - an actual location in the Halo universe - second is a Battlefield Map) [Both have water and a huge area for ground units to battle it out with the core Halo gameplay!]

I voted for no.

As much as I’d love to ride around in a boat, it really wouldn’t fit in Multiplayer. While you could have water based maps for them, you’d have to remember that map movement itself would just be limited to boats.

If the map is buildings, platforms, and boats, it only takes that one enemy team member to hit your boat with a rocket and take out your entire team.

Also, given that most Halo games have launched with 10-to-15 maps, at least one of these maps would be designed strictly for boat combat. If boating is limited to one map, it’d get boring rather quickly. And if there were more of the 10-to-15 maps designed strictly for boating, then we’d be moving space away from actual, familiar, and universal gameplay.

With Boats, the cons outweigh the pros. There just isn’t enough room for them in Multiplayer.

If forge has the ability to edit water and place water I’m sure we can get some cool maps/game modes out of it. Boats wouldn’t take up that much portion of Halo to the extent that it takes away the core mechanics. Think of it as instead of having banshees/flying vehicles on one map (eg longbow) there could be a partial area where theres water and where spartans can traverse quickly by boat (and can battle).

Also boats worked especially well in Battlefield 4s map - Siege of Shanghai. Even though both games show no relation apart from that them both being shooters - Siege of Shanghai shows that you can have boats for water combat [and will not take away the core gameplay] (boat vs boat) and even boat vs ground units. Not forgetting the fact that a high majority of players (in BF4s siege of shanghai) tended to use ground vehicles and move by foot.

That above is New Mombasa - Water gameplay and the typical core gameplay of Halo with warthogs/ghosts etc… too - could work perfectly on a map like that - since there is water surrounding the entire map!! (New mombasa is huge - I’m referring to a small part of the image where water resides around the city)

Your arguments have several counterpoints to them that you aren’t keeping in mind.

> As much as I’d love to ride around in a boat, it really wouldn’t fit in Multiplayer. While you could have water based maps for them, you’d have to remember that map movement itself would just be limited to boats.

Not necessarily. Some maps could have a few small islands connected by platforms/bridges on which infantry and small vehicles could walk. The boats could pass beside/beneath these platforms, depending on whether or not they’re suspended in the air or not.

In addition, some maps could be a mix of land and water, making both types of vehicles work together. Of course, maps would need to be designed specifically for this, but that shouldn’t be a problem.

> If the map is buildings, platforms, and boats, it only takes that one enemy team member to hit your boat with a rocket and take out your entire team.

Who says that boats would hold an entire team at once? There could be baots that hold 1, 2 or 3 people, similar to a Mongoose or Warthog. Furthermore, Covenant vehicles could over over the water, filling in the role of a boat as well.

> Also, given that most Halo games have launched with 10-to-15 maps, at least one of these maps would be designed strictly for boat combat. If boating is limited to one map, it’d get boring rather quickly. And if there were more of the 10-to-15 maps designed strictly for boating, then we’d be moving space away from actual, familiar, and universal gameplay.

Why would it be limited to a single map? Several maps could be dedicated to boat combat, with other maps having both and and boat elements. And if there are more maps that have boat elements, around 2-3, then what’s the problem with that? This is a very innovative gameplay element that would make Halo even more unique and interesting. People could have said that adding in destructible vehicles in Halo 2 moved away from the familar, universal gameplay, as with many other great additions to the series. Why not take a chance here to do something new and interesting to the franchise?

On that note, I definitely vote yes. As stated before, boats could be a great, interesting addition to the Halo franchise. If done correctly, they could bring a breath of fresh air to Halo, which hasn’t been seen in a while.

Plus, anybody remember Islandhop from Halo Custom Edition? That map had boats, and it was a ton of fun to play.

Even having a map like this: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110405001707/battlefield/images/f/fa/Bf_1943_wake_island_overview-1-.jpg

would work amazingly - considering spartans could take boats from side to side of the island - not forgetting that ground units with ground vehicles could also traverse on the actual island from side to side (would take longer though) + air vehicles.

If you’re thinking Boats will be overpowered - it really can’t be in comparison to flying vehicles. If the base design of the boat is similar to a warthog (Turret and Driver) it means the spartans are open to fire and can most likely get sniped out.

Sounds good to me, so long as the maps which contain boats are balanced.I could imagine some awesome gameplay emerging from this.

Boats would be sweet, I think its the one thing that halo is missing. Multiple is lands connected by bridges would be an awesome map. Maybe the spartans could swim too, but not as fast as boats of course.

Even a boat (water traversing) elephant [/M312 Heavy Recovery Vehicle] (I don’t mean the animal :slight_smile: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110831230108/halo/images/d/d1/Halo3-M312BehemothTroopTransport1-Thumb1024x598.png)

Would be pretty epic and would make for some strategic,cool and new gameplay. Like flanking the enemies water elephant and boarding/invading it and using it to their advantage!

In my opinion, that would be very ideal for a map - like sandtrap, but with water and a tint of new mombasa, siege of shanghai from BF4 and Wake Island.

Boats would be amazing in Forge and Custom Games. Even better would be the ability to group blocks together and assign some sort of object type to them in order to turn them into vehicles or weapons… such as a boat.

> Boats would be amazing in Forge and Custom Games. Even better would be the ability to group blocks together and assign some sort of object type to them in order to turn them into vehicles or weapons… such as a boat.

Hell yeah!

I want my spartan to first learn how to swim in three inches of water. That way, if the boat starts leaking, the entire team does not drown.

Haha indeed - There must be a swimming feature (floating atleast le)l if boats were to be implemented! : D

Boats could theoretically work; all that would need to happen is upgrade the water physics aspect of the physics engine, and design levels to accommodate those vehicles on appropriate maps.

That, and there’d need to be a clear distinction between where water is okay to stand in, and where it’s deep enough to kill you.

Also, there’d be no swimming mechanics. Your spartan weighs half a ton.

I don’t think boat’s really fit Halo.

> I don’t think boat’s really fit Halo.

Hmm explain, they could work. Water could still be used as a barrier for the players. Plus people ahve asked for this for a while.

> > I don’t think boat’s really fit Halo.
>
> Hmm explain, they could work. Water could still be used as a barrier for the players. Plus people ahve asked for this for a while.

They have tried but they seem to have left it out with a reason , idk i have no reason i just don’t think it will work out well but it could.

> > > I don’t think boat’s really fit Halo.
> >
> > Hmm explain, they could work. Water could still be used as a barrier for the players. Plus people ahve asked for this for a while.
>
> They have tried but they seem to have left it out with a reason , idk i have no reason i just don’t think it will work out well but it could.

They didnt do it since it took hell of a lot of resources which is why it may be possible with next gen.

Cool concept, but nowhere near high up on my list of things for Halo 5.

Boats for transport,attack, or even defense kind of become pointless when Spirits, Pelicans, and capital spaceships are the norm. If 343 can make it fit into the campaign, then I’m all for it. But I see significantly limited application for multiplayer (it borders on the hokey TBH).

… Although those Aircraft carrier silhouettes in the skybox of Longshore (Halo 3 DLC) always intrigued me…

This game needs to be functional and fun before we add things like this. There are much higher priorities right now.

> This game needs to be functional and fun before we add things like this. There are much higher priorities right now.

Halo needs to keep innovating to become something fun and interesting. We can’t just strip the game and turn it into Halo 3 again. What we need to do is take Halo 1,2 and 3, and then build off of it with ideas like this.