Halo 5- Anti-Speed run measures (Read)

I’ve recently been reading many of the Halo novels and comics, and I have really begun to love the Halo lore. Halo has such an expansive universe, and cast of characters. With the new dynamics of Locke, and Chief, I can’t help but think hope that 343 is making longer missions in Halo 5, and will make sure that missions aren’t armed to the teeth with shortcuts and glitches (I’m talking about you,Halo 2). Yes, speedrunning IS a big part of Halo, but I want 343 to create much more open and story driven missions, instead of corridor sections that allow people to grenade jump, and run past every freakin enemy, or despawn enemies. I don’t want Halo 5 levels to be super quick missions that are easy to learn. I want more dynamic and surprising encounters. I’d also like a few defense sections (because it ensures that speedrunners are required to have some decent moments where they focus on combat, instead of running) but not boring or repetitive defense sections. I do want speedrunning to still be possible, but I don’t want 30-40 minute missions to be condensed into a 5 minute rooftop runs, and glitches that skip 90% of a mission (The pelican section in Halo 4)
SO, with all of this said, do YOU think that 343 should try as hard as possible to prevent crazy glitches and routes that make an awesome 10-12 hour game, a freakin 3 hour game?
Edit: What I really mean, is whether or not you want 343 to design levels in the best fashion, as to prevent crazy exploits. Halo 2 was FILLED with them, and most were as simple as just jumping on the side of a hill (Delta Halo) and running on the top of the hill, which is filled with flat trees. Basically, I want 343 to intentionally make certain sections have *clever ways to prevent people from just jumping on top of a certain spot, and running up top. NOT INVISIBLE WALLS, OR KILL BARRIERS. I want smartly designed levels, that don’t have a magic crate in a corner that people can jump on, get out of the map, and skip the whole level.

Could not care less about this topic.

Anti-speedrun measures? Oh, you mean those annoying as hell killzones in the campaign and invisible walls? No thanks.

I don’t know if I would like them to block more of the level off. I would like to see levels expanded with more area to work. But I would like to see them get rid of “glitches” I hate that some exploit glitches and then think they are some awesome gamer cause they can glitch/cheat at a game. But I don’t mind if there are more ways to get through missions. why limit the game play? Sure just running through levels as fast as you can aren’t in good spirit of the game but still adds a nice challenge to the game.

This is one of the silliest things I have read on these forums for a while. Its not as if 343 or really anyone designs theses exploits into the level, Nintendo didn’t intentionally put that bug in Ocarina of time that lets you skip pretty much the entire game.

Speedrunning does not affect the majority the playerbase, its not as if most of these things are often in plain sight, I think its very very rare for someone to try and break the game there first time playing through, maybe they discover something intentionally along the way, but finding all the best routes and exploits takes time and usually takes place after they have had their fill of the ‘normal’ game. Speedrunning is a completely different type of challenge from conquering the usual game.

I haven’t the faintest idea how speedrunning has anything to do with creating an interesting level/encounters or in how it could affect your own experience in any way.

I will also take this opportunity to point out that bigger does not always equal better. Open levels can offer interesting and dynamic moments, but a well crafted linear level can be just as engaging, albeit for different reasons.

I just… no.

If 343 are going to focus on fighting exploits, they should focus on making sure that multiplayer levels of free of any egregious exploits/hiding spots. Unlike campaign exploits, these glitches can an will affect the general playersbase.

From what I’ve observed about speed running is that the designer of the game never intended those glitches to happen… However, people got creative and found those glitches and used them to there advantage. So try as they might I doubt they will ever speed run proof any level. Now Halo 4 from what I saw had little in the way of glitches, which from my understanding was due to no theater mode for campaign. On a personal note… I love speed running levels. I’m in no way good at it but when I am able to pull off some of their tricks is really quite satisfying. So, ultimately I hope for longer levels and more of them THAT are meaningful and not full of bloat, BUT I hope there are some creative and dedicated players who will tirelessly try to break the levels and find those unintentional and fun ways to finish a long level in 5 mins. By the way my favorite level to spread run, despite it taking forever to even get close to doing well is assault on the control room - thank you Naked Eli.

What I’d like is for the campaign missions to be expansive, immersive, and with multiple routes through them. The more replayability, the better. I think that speedruns/exploits are a good thing–they require people to be creative in order to find those glitches. Sure, they may be simple once they have been found, but finding them is the difficult part.

Getting rid of all exploits is far too difficult a task to accomplish in a sandbox game. I do wish they removed the “return to battlefield” death timer or invisible walls, or instant-kill zones, and simply replaced them with a friendly little message saying “Are you lost? Press up on the D-pad to return to the action” when you exit the battlefield–kind of like the gameplay mechanic they had in the New Alexandria mission. Maybe they could even make it so that mission-completion achievements were unobtainable unless you remained within the confines of the battlefield.

I don’t particuarly mind exploits which allow you to play the campaign a different way. But using easy exploits to get a reward for something that’s supposed to be hard? Uh, no thanks. Mind you, there’s hard, and then there’s H2A LASO, which I do not even want to attempt.

I understand , it would be great if shortcuts taken with bug game but if there were no part in the campaign itself and coincide on the mission by making it easier to agree. but if they are bugs involuntary situation and the different speedrun are created with unnecessary bugs ruining the country !

I don’t really see the point of this thread. Why does it bother you if it’s possible to complete the level in less than 10 minutes? It’s not like you have to do it if you don’t want to, so it doesn’t affect you in any way or form.

I don’t think there should be any specific “anti speed run measures”. After all, it’s not like the developers have actively put those glitches in the games. All the glitches are accidental. Games always have glitches and holes in the map boundaries, but I don’t see why developers should put any more work into patching those than they already do. In the end, there are much more important issues than worrying whether a player might be able to exit a campaign level. As a matter of fact, I would say that in the long run, restricting players in campaign too much can be counter productive.

Obviously smart level design is whole another story. If the developers can design levels that don’t have invisible walls at every corner, but aren’t boring corridors either, then by all means do that. If the player doesn’t feel restricted, then level design has fulfilled its goal of creating an environment that feels natural. But the last thing I want to see are cliff faces and other map geometry that is easy to for the player to jump upwards, only to meet an invisible wall. If the developers can’t block a path by means that feels natural to the player, then they either shouldn’t block that path at all, or should design the path in a different way.

I’m against any measures specifically aimed against speed running. Speed running is just a way of completing a level as fast as possible by any means necessary. The developers shouldn’t specifically try to influence the difficulty of speed running to one direction or another. The developers’ job is just to create a functional game, and then all the glitchers and speed runners will see what they can do with it. A lot of the time they are able to find admirably efficient methods of completing levels, but I don’t see why it should bother anyone.

Defense sections are the last things I want to see. Any section where I have to wait X amount of time or kill Y amount of enemies to be able to proceed feels pointlessly artificial. By all means, put a lot of enemies in my path if you don’t want me to proceed, but if I find a way to get past them without getting killed, the last thing I want to see is a door that only opens after X seconds, or Y kills, or Z waves of enemies. At that point it only feels like the developer is artificially trying to extend my experience, just so they can say “our campaign is 12 hours long”. That’s not fun.

> 2533274819446242;5:
> This is one of the silliest things I have read on these forums for a while. Its not as if 343 or really anyone designs theses exploits into the level, Nintendo didn’t intentionally put that bug in Ocarina of time that lets you skip pretty much the entire game.
>
> Speedrunning does not affect the majority the playerbase, its not as if most of these things are often in plain sight, I think its very very rare for someone to try and break the game there first time playing through, maybe they discover something intentionally along the way, but finding all the best routes and exploits takes time and usually takes place after they have had their fill of the ‘normal’ game. Speedrunning is a completely different type of challenge from conquering the usual game.
>
> I haven’t the faintest idea how speedrunning has anything to do with creating an interesting level/encounters or in how it could affect your own experience in any way.
>
> I will also take this opportunity to point out that bigger does not always equal better. Open levels can offer interesting and dynamic moments, but a well crafted linear level can be just as engaging, albeit for different reasons.
>
> I just… no.
>
> If 343 are going to focus on fighting exploits, they should focus on making sure that multiplayer levels of free of any egregious exploits/hiding spots. Unlike campaign exploits, these glitches can an will affect the general playersbase.

My favorite answer of the month (in these forums).

Haha you want a speed run? Go look at Dark Souls guys. They put Halo speed-runners to shame and in much more variety and style. In response to OP. Sure as long as it sensible things like the removal of de-spawns etc. If people just figure out legit ways around it they’re being clever. If they’re glitching uncool.

I have no interest in soeeedrunning, thusly I vote no. Time can be better spent elsewhere.

Live and let live. Let people play the game the way they want to. I personally am pretty awed by speedrunners, but can’t do it myself

Well I think that some of the speed runners tricks are pretty cool and if people are not interested in speed running then they don’t have to and it wont affect them

If anything i think the opposite. There is nothing wrong with speed-running and I think they should actually integrate sections that can be skipped using crazy nade bounces and hard to find routes. You don’t have to follow them if you dont want to.

This won’t effect 99.9% of people that play the campaign, so what you’re saying OP is that 343 should spend time to ruin that 0.1% of people that do enjoy speedrunning’s fun

> 2533274913088244;16:
> This won’t effect 99.9% of people that play the campaign, so what you’re saying OP is that 343 should spend time to ruin that 0.1% of people that do enjoy speedrunning’s fun

This thread is almost three months old. I think he’s gotten the message by now.

Please don’t revive old threads.

Speed running has always been a part of halo.

> 2535423772464371;18:
> Speed running has always been a part of halo.

Dude this thread was started a year ago

Needs a lock please mod

> 2535423772464371;18:
> Speed running has always been a part of halo.

HOW DID YOU GET HERE

Also, no not really