Halo 5 and The XB1's Cloud Computing Flaw

So, I came across this Article:

In which a huge flaw in the XBox One’s cloud computing is discussed. In short, it will have “rather frequent updates.” When it updates, you will be kicked out of a game if it is using the Cloud to run this or that. And the system itself will have to reboot!

As we know, 343 stated at E3, Halo XBox One will use the cloud in some way to enhance the experience. The article does explain that this problem could be fixed eventually. However, will it be fixed a year from now for Halo 5’s release? Probably not.

So, these frequent cloud updates have me concerned for Halo 5. How then would quit banning be handled? What if I was almost done the campaign for the first time and it cut out right before a big reveal?

With the recent policy reversals I was optimistic about the XBox One. But now, I’m a bit worried again.

Are you worried about this? What kind of impact will this have on Halo 5? Discuss.

i am worried about this but i read on ign’s article covering this that the team is/has been working on this issue so i have hope this will get resolved very quickly.

> As we know, 343 stated at E3, Halo XBox One will use the cloud in some way to enhance the experience. The article does explain that this problem could be fixed eventually. However, will it be fixed a year from now for Halo 5’s release? Probably not.

343 is probably going to use the “The Cloud” for Dedicated Servers(Confirmed), maybe the AI, similar to Forza 5’s AI. Having the AI evolve over time making it smarter giving it more of a challenge. This could also mean Firefight is returning. It will probably be used also to handle dynamic weather(Forge or campaign?) and global lighting(same way Halo 4 generates lighting, except maybe there’s no pause for the game to reload the lighting). This of course would mean you’d need a constant connection.

> So, these frequent cloud updates have me concerned for Halo 5. How then would quit banning be handled? What if I was almost done the campaign for the first time and it cut out right before a big reveal?
>
> Are you worried about this? What kind of impact will this have on Halo 5? Discuss.

It’s something to be concerned but overall it will improve the experience in the long run. I honestly don’t see quit banning returning. Especially when there’s dedicated servers for people to just drop in and drop out, assuming JIP returns.

I don’t think you need to worry about the game cutting out, Campaign probably won’t be effected by this as it’s also designed for offline play, these updates more than likely apply to multiplayer, plus that’s what save points are for right? It also appears that Xbox One is able to resume the game you were playing with little to no load times so you’ll be able to jump back in.

> rather frequent updates.

I’m not too worried, unless the system has to update like 10 times a day, the XB1 would be almost worthless for extended gaming experiences. Campaign story players would get the shorter end of the stick though.

But if it’s only once or maybe 3 times a day and take a very short time, I’m not worried.

I also don’t think it would affect quit bands, it would probably be simple to see that 100% of all players got kicked out of game due to update and not penalize those players.

> But if it’s only once or maybe 3 times a day and take a very short time, I’m not worried.

I’m not either. Consider what may need to be “updated.” AI settings for one. Are we going to need hourly, bi-hourly, or even daily updates to get the best experience? No, by frequent updates I believe they are referring to frequent with respect to what we usually see now for games. Namely more than a few times per a game’s lifecycle. Even the most frequently updated games in the market, FTP MMO’s, don’t need significant updates more than once every one-two weeks.

Also OP I wouldn’t be hoping for a “policy reversal” here. It seems like a technical limitation much like Xbox live use to have for big updates (namely that the system went down so they can muck about in the works.) That said too, I would hope for the same kind of progress, not another regression.

I’m not too worried about it and by the time Halo 5 comes out it probably won’t happen too often.

It sounds like the Cloud system needs sorting since shouldn’t need to worry about cloud if I’m playing offline.

> …maybe the AI, similar to Forza 5’s AI. Having the AI evolve over time making it smarter giving it more of a challenge.

Sounds too good to be true.

It’d certainly allow them to install new capabilities that they didn’t have enough time for.

I know of one instance where Bungie released a patch affecting Campaign; in Halo 3, on the last level, players could supposedly destroy 343 Guilty Spark using rocket launchers and fuel rod guns. The patch made it so that only the laser could kill him.

I imagine Cloud could have fixed a lot of things in Halo 2, like how Regret can randomly become invincible and end up outside of his chair.

> Consider what may need to be “updated.” AI settings for one. Are we going to need hourly, bi-hourly, or even daily updates to get the best experience? No, by frequent updates I believe they are referring to frequent with respect to what we usually see now for games. Namely more than a few times per a game’s lifecycle. Even the most frequently updated games in the market, FTP MMO’s, don’t need significant updates more than once every one-two weeks.

They are not updates related to the game you are playing, but updates for the operation system of the server. But I suppose that they don’t update the whole data center at once, so I don’t see why they couldn’t push the workload to some other server when the machine the code is running on is about to be updated. In that case it should, at most, be a black screen for the players when the cloud switches machines.