Halo 5 and Replay Value

What do you guys think 343 will do or should do to make Halo 5 a game that can’t be put down? When Halo Reach came out, I remember that the biggest hook the game contained were the ways to earn the in-game currency, which would buy armor and other aesthetics. The currency would always be earned by doing basically anything in Reach, but there would be those daily challenges and weekly challenges that kept the community engaged with the promise of reward. I’m not saying that 343 should use this model for the REQ system, but I think it would be a great subtopic to think about on replay value.

What do you think? New ideas and criticism is welcome. What should 343 do? Or are they already doing something I’ve overlooked?

> 2533274830756133;1:
> What do you guys think 343 will do or should do to make Halo 5 a game that can’t be put down? When Halo Reach came out, I remember that the biggest hook the game contained were the ways to earn the in-game currency, which would buy armor and other aesthetics. The currency would always be earned by doing basically anything in Reach, but there would be those daily challenges and weekly challenges that kept the community engaged with the promise of reward. I’m not saying that 343 should use this model for the REQ system, but I think it would be a great subtopic to think about on replay value.
>
> What do you think? New ideas and criticism is welcome. What should 343 do? Or are they already doing something I’ve overlooked?

I think the REQ system is already a great way to keep people playing, but I think community things akin to Vid masters would be really cool. Also, I know this is somewhat off topic, but from what I’ve seen of the campaign, it looks like you can play through multiple times, in different ways, with tons of things to look for like collectibles, easter eggs, and secret passage ways and dialogue.

new skulls and 117 different pieces of intel to find is a good way to encourage replay of the campaign especially for cheevo hunters

I think the REQ system and warzone already have tons of replay value

The REQ system contains a lot of stuff and completionists will want to collect all of it. And they plan to keep adding to it as well.

I feel this game will.
For MM only, there’s the ranking system in Arena and REQ system in Warzone. It’ll be endless fun.

Now, for Campaign, I’ve watched a bit of gameplay from the four missions that have been released. There is so many ways to approach the missions now, the only really linear thing now is the objective. In particular the 3rd mission, you can find weapons literally everywhere you look. Not to mention the difficulty really looks like it’s been upped a lot compared to Halo 4. Greenskull’s Heroic run of Blue Team kinda felt like a Legendary run of Composer - a UNSC space station being overrun by Covenant. Lots, and lots of Covenant. With a good shot. I expect Legendary to be practically a successor to the death trap that is Halo 2’s Legandary campaign.

> 2533274830756133;1:
> What do you guys think 343 will do or should do to make Halo 5 a game that can’t be put down? When Halo Reach came out, I remember that the biggest hook the game contained were the ways to earn the in-game currency, which would buy armor and other aesthetics. The currency would always be earned by doing basically anything in Reach, but there would be those daily challenges and weekly challenges that kept the community engaged with the promise of reward. I’m not saying that 343 should use this model for the REQ system, but I think it would be a great subtopic to think about on replay value.
>
> What do you think? New ideas and criticism is welcome. What should 343 do? Or are they already doing something I’ve overlooked?

dunno about the more casual fans, but for people who will sink in a lot of time into the game, i’d say having options, and all these options having individual replay value (solid gameplay) are the things needed to keep people hooked that’s all. things tied to the progression system can be fun milestones while playing but they should augment the gameplay, not the reason for playing it.

-if i were to have a say, i would make all popular halo playlists available (the ones namely missing being snipers, doubles and infection…maybe grifball) and fill these playlists with a solid line-up of maps.
-i would have a weekend playlist which would be action sack gametypes, action sack has low pop but custom-gamey gametypes as the weekend playlist is a proven success.
-i would have a favourites system (like bungie favourites) which would give more incentive to people creating to really dive deep into that aspect.
-i would make sure campaign has scoring and theater as that’s what gives the campaign a lot of gas.
-i would make sure there is a variety of gametypes and allow for the gametypes to quite deep to allow for variety of experiences per gametype (like h2 or h3), forge makes great maps, but without gametypes the custom games become limited and so does the uses of the forge system

• i wouldn’t rotate playlists
  • i think you could go a step further with challenges and literally make them challenges, there will be ones set per week which will earn rewards, but then there is the option to challenge friends and set a challenge, inviting a group of players to take part. initially it would have no rewards as a test (so it doesn’t get abused) and just see if people interact with that system more, could add some value to the experience imo
  • same goes for clan battles, either a playlist or a ladder system or something where groups can challenge each other, yet again initially no rewards, just statistics and bragging rights.

I think splitscreen would have been a great way to add a ton of replay value… :wink:
Sorry, someone had to.

The campaign already looks WAY better than Halo 4…and really open and ready for exploration like Halo CE and Halo Reach…

the following will help (some have clearly already happened):
-good campaign with different play style options
-warzone & the REQ system
-balanced arena play
-provision of new maps for arena from forge AND the studio itself
-war zone PvE was mentioned as being made available if demand was high
-fun playlists: needs 2 minimum of action sack, infection (plus themed maps from community mainly) and grifball.

All of of these ensure there is so much stuff to do again you come back to item number one it feels fresh, and so the loop starts again, maybe with detours to other games. Variation and fun are key.

Halo 5 is launching pretty bare bones compared to past Halos if I’m being honest. Let’s hope campaign, competitive ranks, and the REQ system will hold people over until the bigger features drop like Forge, File Share, and who knows what else. It’s less than two weeks before launch and we don’t really know what’s part of their “sustain plan” and what’s not. Kind of frustrating.

> 2533274830756133;1:
>

Make it fair and balanced, a proper arena shooter you can invest competitively in. That was all Halo 3 ever was, and boy we played the hell out of that game.

I’m undecided on this topic because I’m not sure if Halo will fit well as a grind base game/ earning currency and points towards new gear. But it’s possible because Warzone is open to other play styles.

Added blue team dlc missions perhaps?

Campaign might die after the 117 intel is found but MP will have a lasting appeal.

> 2533274830756133;1:
>

I completely agree, Reach had one of the best systems in video game history

> 2533274830756133;1:
>

I think ill play until it dies or i die.

Replayability? Well, in all honesty, I’ve gotten the most of Halo playing with my brother or dad in co-op or multiplayer. So, splitscreen would add the most replayability to me, but that’s just me.

> 2728296738564166;12:
> > 2533274830756133;1:
> > What do you guys think 343 will do or should do to make Halo 5 a game that can’t be put down? When Halo Reach came out, I remember that the biggest hook the game contained were the ways to earn the in-game currency, which would buy armor and other aesthetics. The currency would always be earned by doing basically anything in Reach, but there would be those daily challenges and weekly challenges that kept the community engaged with the promise of reward. I’m not saying that 343 should use this model for the REQ system, but I think it would be a great subtopic to think about on replay value.
> >
> > What do you think? New ideas and criticism is welcome. What should 343 do? Or are they already doing something I’ve overlooked?
>
>
> Make it fair and balanced, a proper arena shooter you can invest competitively in. That was all Halo 3 ever was, and boy we played the hell out of that game.

I really like this point. Going for the “keep it simple” route. It has proven to work.

> 2535420656217705;18:
> Replayability? Well, in all honesty, I’ve gotten the most of Halo playing with my brother or dad in co-op or multiplayer. So, splitscreen would add the most replayability to me, but that’s just me.

I wish this could be added. My friend won’t be buying Halo 5 in protest of no split screen. :confused: