Halo 5 AI sucks compared to Halo Reach AI

If you played Reach you understand the treat of an elite and just how smart, maneuverable, accurate and deadly they were. Halo 5 i was hoping the covenant AI would be up to par with the covenant AI from Halo reach but unfortunately not. Elites dont maneuver besides a little hop here and there, missing most shots, and just asked to be killed. Not to mention they’ve looked worst since Halo 4. I understand they’re the Storm Covenant but just how terrible could an elite be?

The only thing that makes them harder on legendary is their shield resistance and damage boost. No real intelligence boost their. Play reach and you tell me if those elites aren’t better than the one’s now.

From what I’ve seen, the AI is more then capable.

Yup I fully agree with you… they should have worked much harder on the ai instead of giving them a damage boost I didn’t notice a shield boost. I noticed the ai issue the first time they showed war zone and thought it was going to be fixed by now but that wasn’t the case. It’s not just an elite thing by the way it’s every ai enemy

If anything if they can’t make them more aggressive and smarter (which needs to happen asap) they should add way more enemies in each missions so it can at least not feel like a cake walk on heroic and legendary…

Like and this is just when playing with ai allies, just imagine how easy it will be for the people playing co op campaign. They will be expecting a challenge but that’s not what they’ll get.

Have you seen the spartan AI? oh lord. This is probably why they waited so long to show certain types of gameplay.

I honestly don’t think the Reach Elites are smart, in fact the AI in every Halo are not exactly hard IMO all Halo games increasing the difficulty only make the AI take more damage and makes them bullet sponges. I wish this wasn’t the case and that instead of doing more damage and being bullet sponges they became more intelligent with difficulty level. However we are some way off this ever being the case.

Could be part of the day one update, besides when your showing a game to the public its most likely being played by reviewers/the lucky few who make it to these events, IGN etc, yes there job is to talk about games but that doesn’t mean they play as much as the average hardcore gamer. If there just dying over and over again its not gonna look fun

> 2701489597929026;4:
> Have you seen the spartan AI? oh lord. This is probably why they waited so long to show certain types of gameplay.

Yeah they’re not perfect but manageable to say the least… I get reviving you is top priority but while one is trying to revive you the others should be killing the enemies that are right by your body.

> 2535416383459646;5:
> I honestly don’t think the Reach Elites are smart, in fact the AI in every Halo are not exactly hard IMO all Halo games increasing the difficulty only make the AI take more damage and makes them bullet sponges. I wish this wasn’t the case and that instead of doing more damage and being bullet sponges they became more intelligent with difficulty level. However we are some way off this ever being the case.

I honestly hope more people ( and I’m putting skeptical hope into the cloud) try to look at making smarter ai in the cloud. Especially if crackdown 3 turns out to be a success with its use of the cloud allowing you to completely level a freaking city.

> 2533274874192460;8:
> > 2535416383459646;5:
> > I honestly don’t think the Reach Elites are smart, in fact the AI in every Halo are not exactly hard IMO all Halo games increasing the difficulty only make the AI take more damage and makes them bullet sponges. I wish this wasn’t the case and that instead of doing more damage and being bullet sponges they became more intelligent with difficulty level. However we are some way off this ever being the case.
>
>
> I honestly hope more people ( and I’m putting skeptical hope into the cloud) try to look at making smarter ai in the cloud. Especially if crackdown 3 turns out to be a success with its use of the cloud allowing you to completely level a freaking city.

Yes but then people will moan because they can’t play their beloved single player games without being connected to the internet.

the elites weren’t really that threatening in Reach though. Any elite above a ranger just had super powerful shields that took a lot of ammo to deplete and recharged quickly, forcing you to stay out of cover to fight them. They weren’t more lethal per se, but the way they’re health system worked made them more annoying to deal with.

Then again they were no match for the plasma pistol overcharge.

The enemy AI can defiantly ruin you if you are not in a good spot but the spartan AI’s as much as they are terrible, you can order them to a further location either way behind or way in front. Unlike reach you can get your team killed but it will be just you alone then like the other Halo’s unlike Reach’s never dying Spartans in combat but out of combat drop like flies

Was it “that” necessary to change the topic title to that?

I think the levels are going to be carefully set up so that while one elite may not be the craziest of threats, you’ll find a number of them well armed and positioned at every turn - remember the jackal snipers from halo 2 on the first urban mission? They were a nightmare. I see this game looking at that sort of stuff. I still think the ai are fairly good - still not near a player. I reckon if for elites they dodge more and keep to cover, they’ll be fairly well set up.

> 2533274813071248;1:
> If you played Reach you understand the treat of an elite and just how smart, maneuverable, accurate and deadly they were. Halo 5 i was hoping the covenant AI would be up to par with the covenant AI from Halo reach but unfortunately not. Elites dont maneuver besides a little hop here and there, missing most shots, and just asked to be killed. Not to mention they’ve looked worst since Halo 4. I understand they’re the Storm Covenant but just how terrible could an elite be?
>
> The only thing that makes them harder on legendary is their shield resistance and damage boost. No real intelligence boost their. Play reach and you tell me if those elites aren’t better than the one’s now.

Sadly, you are right. In Reach, the Elites were much more difficult. I almost scoffed at the H4 Elites, and as long as I take my time and eliminate yhe appropriate threats at the right time, they will be living speedbumps at best-and that is before accounting for new Spartan Abilities…

Every Halo game had/has terrible AI. In fact, I’ve never played any game where the AI was good. Every AI I’ve ever played against is a joke. That’s exactly why I simply don’t really care for campaigns…other than stories. In all honesty the main reason I play them is for the cut scenes and cinematics…and for the “worlds.” Campaign gameplay is…lame at it’s best, which is why it’s absolutely crucial that they have enthralling characters and cut scenes. “increased difficult” is never anything more than just a change in damage modifiers.

> 2533274813071248;1:
> If you played Reach you understand the treat of an elite and just how smart, maneuverable, accurate and deadly they were. Halo 5 i was hoping the covenant AI would be up to par with the covenant AI from Halo reach but unfortunately not. Elites dont maneuver besides a little hop here and there, missing most shots, and just asked to be killed. Not to mention they’ve looked worst since Halo 4. I understand they’re the Storm Covenant but just how terrible could an elite be?
>
> The only thing that makes them harder on legendary is their shield resistance and damage boost. No real intelligence boost their. Play reach and you tell me if those elites aren’t better than the one’s now.

are you playing Halo 5 right now or something? how could i play reach then compare it to a game i don’t have yet?

> 2533274813071248;1:
> If you played Reach you understand the treat of an elite and just how smart, maneuverable, accurate and deadly they were. Halo 5 i was hoping the covenant AI would be up to par with the covenant AI from Halo reach but unfortunately not. Elites dont maneuver besides a little hop here and there, missing most shots, and just asked to be killed. Not to mention they’ve looked worst since Halo 4. I understand they’re the Storm Covenant but just how terrible could an elite be?
>
> The only thing that makes them harder on legendary is their shield resistance and damage boost. No real intelligence boost their. Play reach and you tell me if those elites aren’t better than the one’s now.

You want to know the funny thing. The AI that controlled Elites in Reach is probably almost identical to the AI that controls Elites in Halo 5. Game engines and AI are rarely written from the ground up. One example of a game engine written from the ground up is the Frostbite engine. An example of an older engine is back when CoD Ghosts was released. The base engine for that game was from 1990s Quake! Now that’s an old engine.

> 2533274813071248;1:
> "Storm Covenant"

Off topic I know, but it’s not the Storm Covenant, it never was and it never will be. Storm is just a rank (equivalent to a minor), not the name of Jul’s Covenant.

Sorry for going off topic, and more importantly, sorry for being pedantic.

I doubt they rewrite enemy AI for each game, so the code base between elites in Reach and elites in H5 is probably very similar.

what really creates a difference is geometry, mobility, and the number of combatants.

AI in halo 5, have a lot more information to process now with a heightened spacial awareness, and a much more crowded battlefield. It’s probably tough to program AI that can handle that and still resemble the intelligence you remember from reach.

as far as the Spartan AI I was pretty impressed with it. I didn’t watch many streams, but in the stream Legendary stream I watched, they seemed to be coordinating their revive efforts… one would go to help the downed player, and the other two appear to lay cover fire… Maybe I need to watch more… They also handle driving pretty well…

I’m a huge fan of all Halo campaigns. I can honestly say that I noticed a BIG drop in AI from Halo 4. I actually really liked Halo 4 (MM & campaign) but the AI is noticeably worse.