Halo 5: A third of a game

Before I start I want to make some things clear. First off I just want to get my frustrations out about this game. So this isn’t a review, or a rant about the REQ system or split screen ( though I will probably mention a couple aspects that bother me from both ), and I don’t think halo 5 is a bad game, honestly I feel halo 5 has one of the best sandboxes halo has ever had.
With that out of the way I’ll start with the launch. Now as I stated with the title, I feel halo 5 is a third of a game and its launch is what I’m referring to ( so I guess a fourth or a fifth now, whatever it’s not the point ).
So why a third, simple this game launched with three game modes, which were campaign, and the two multiplayer modes ( warzone and arena ). It also featured theater mode, but for me this sad excuse of a feature doesn’t count for now, and I’ll explain in a bit.
CAMPAIGN
I really don’t want to waste my time with this, though I feel it should be mentioned. I think anyone that played this mode knows that the campaign is lackluster and mediocre, it’s by far no first year destiny, but the hunt the truth podcast is way better than halo 5’s campaign. Now there are two things that bother me with the campaign, the first thing deals with the collectibles ( skulls and intel ) and legendary mode. There are no in game rewards for collecting each or all collectible types and also nothing for completing the game on legendary. There could of at least been some REQ points awarded right?, whatever Unless your an achievement hunter have fun getting nothing. The second thing is that overall the campaign just felt like an after thought. My reasoning for this is stated above. The campaign is boring, you get lazy achievements for collecting the collectibles and completing legendary, for some more a boss gets repeated several times, why can’t you earn some REQ points from completing levels? ( like in reach ), why is scoring absent again? and why is the inability to use theater in this mode here again? ( I bet there’s more, but I want to move on ). I’ll end with this thought, each level in this game is design very well and are aesthetically pleasing, but for me I haven’t found myself wanting to go back and replaying any of them.
MULTIPLAYER
As for me saying the campaign being an after thought, I feel the multiplayer was the prime focus. Now I don’t think it’s a bad thing, but I think it should be noted. And to whom I don’t know, probably all of us. ( Maybe it’s a warning sign for halo 6 )
The multiplayer is very solid, the sandbox was clearly made for multiplayer and its works. So what are things that bother me?, well there are many. Lets start with the rotation system. I understand what 343 was saying when they made the decision to drop the veto system, but I would way rather replay good maps that most people like with game types most people like. To sum it up I don’t want to play seven rounds of swatnums on the rig ( sorry to those who like the rig, I just played it way to many times ). Next the UI, this game easily has the worse UI in the series. I want to be able to see everyone’s stats before the match, not just a small thumbnail of their emblems. Moving on to the playlists, preferably the playlists swapping. It was something I wasn’t fond of in halo 4 and I’m still not now, and it’s not the idea of swapping playlists, it’s how it’s been used. Why in the world would you swap out staple game types like snipers and doubles?, they probably should of just been in the initial launch playlists. Playlist swapping is good for new game types, like in 4, binary snipers was a good snipers variant to test, but to test game types that are known to be good like snipers is silly and furthermore how the weekend playlist voting has been handled is silly too. Seriously the second week sums up how silly it’s been handled. The second week of the weekend playlist voting gave us the options of ctf, snipers, and doubles. Now this seems good right?, but here’s the silliness, ctf is in the team arena playlist, plus you can play it in customs and the week previous the community chose snipers, so course it’s going to be doubles. ( do you see what I’m saying? ) the last thing I want to talk about is the lack of social playlist. Halo 5’s multiplayer is a cutthroat competitive multiplayer. What I mean by this is that your more likely to go against teams ( that all know each other, mics, etc ) with no real warm up matches ( except for customs ) and your better off going in with a team of your own. I’m not saying having a strong competitive multiplayer is bad, but permeant social playlist would be much appreciated, and warzone is not a good replacement for social playlist in arena.
THEATER
Now earlier, I was very dismissive of this mode and I’m still am. Before I list why, I want to al least say what I like. Being able to spectate all players in a given match is a huge plus, also the outlines are cool. Now for everything that ruins the theater mode. Recording and taking pictures are completely gone, look I understand the xbox one has the dvr, but that tool still has its own flaws and I would like to record full matches to my fileshare. ( on a side note, I would love to see BBKdragoon bring back his replay reviews and I’m pretty sure this isn’t helping ). To go further you still can’t record campaign again and now forge ( I can’t remember if you couldn’t record forge in 4, but you could record both in reach ).
FORGE
Similar to theater mode, all the improvements made are wonderful and all the creations that have come from it already are awesome, but it still has a long way to go. To start off an in depth tutorial on the new forge would of been nice, instead of a stream that focused thirty minutes on a pig and a whale, but whatever if you give forgers a tool they forge. Next is the game types and I’m still lost when it comes to this, but let me sum it up. When Halo 4 launched it was missing the race game type. It took a mod and the turbo update to finally get it, so it took a year later for halo 4 to finally get a dedicated race game type and now this game isn’t just missing a race game type, but now infection, come on. REQ items, why can’t I test out REQ variants of weapons and vehicles in forge and customs? Seriously the only place you can do anything with them is in warzone and I at least lose them very quickly because of the mode being so hectic. Look if it has to do with arena maps not having REQ items in them, then they can be replaced with their normal variant right? Or does it have to deal those don’t have the REQ variants unlocked in warzone, but then they do in forge ( it’s probably this ). I still don’t think it’s a good idea to only experience and practice with these weapons in warzone. The last thing is the fileshare or I guess the file browser. Of all the jokes this game has made this one is the biggest. The only way you can download a map is by friending the author and then bookmarking it, so if that persons gamertag looks like this xXxXxxxXXXxXxxxX4lyfexXXx have fun and also once a map is bookmarked people can save it and now they’re the author of the map.

I guess when it comes down to it, I’m still going to play halo 5 and I’m sure there will be updates to fix most of the issues I’m at least having with this game, but I think it’s that, that bothers me the most. So what if are game came out a third of what previous halo games have came out as, it will all be patched monthly with new features that are technically old but whatever they’re all free so shut your mouth ( though firefight would be cool ). I don’t know, I mean what’s next. Is halo 6 going launch half a game like battlefront?
Well I feel better getting that off my chest. Take it as you want, I just needed to get it out. To whoever have fun ripping this post apart. And if anyone feels the need to post this somewhere else please do.

No splitscreen has been known well before launch and its because the xbone cant handle it not because 343 was being bad. They announced it the moment they knew it wasnt going to be a thing. Req isnt pay to win an has counters to that. Who cares what your barbie doll looks like, req isnt bad and only really has any meaning in only 1 mode and even then it is anemic.
The lack of offline modes is troubleing though but the price to pay for better graphics and framerate. You know demand less paint and you get more house.but casuals dont get that.

> 2533274837193094;1:
> Before I start I want to make some things clear. First off I just want to get my frustrations out about this game. So this isn’t a review, or a rant about the REQ system or split screen ( though I will probably mention a couple aspects that bother me from both ), and I don’t think halo 5 is a bad game, honestly I feel halo 5 has one of the best sandboxes halo has ever had.
> With that out of the way I’ll start with the launch. Now as I stated with the title, I feel halo 5 is a third of a game and its launch is what I’m referring to ( so I guess a fourth or a fifth now, whatever it’s not the point ).
> So why a third, simple this game launched with three game modes, which were campaign, and the two multiplayer modes ( warzone and arena ). It also featured theater mode, but for me this sad excuse of a feature doesn’t count for now, and I’ll explain in a bit.
> CAMPAIGN
> I really don’t want to waste my time with this, though I feel it should be mentioned. I think anyone that played this mode knows that the campaign is lackluster and mediocre, it’s by far no first year destiny, but the hunt the truth podcast is way better than halo 5’s campaign. Now there are two things that bother me with the campaign, the first thing deals with the collectibles ( skulls and intel ) and legendary mode. There are no in game rewards for collecting each or all collectible types and also nothing for completing the game on legendary. There could of at least been some REQ points awarded right?, whatever Unless your an achievement hunter have fun getting nothing. The second thing is that overall the campaign just felt like an after thought. My reasoning for this is stated above. The campaign is boring, you get lazy achievements for collecting the collectibles and completing legendary, for some more a boss gets repeated several times, why can’t you earn some REQ points from completing levels? ( like in reach ), why is scoring absent again? and why is the inability to use theater in this mode here again? ( I bet there’s more, but I want to move on ). I’ll end with this thought, each level in this game is design very well and are aesthetically pleasing, but for me I haven’t found myself wanting to go back and replaying any of them.
> MULTIPLAYER
> As for me saying the campaign being an after thought, I feel the multiplayer was the prime focus. Now I don’t think it’s a bad thing, but I think it should be noted. And to whom I don’t know, probably all of us. ( Maybe it’s a warning sign for halo 6 )
> The multiplayer is very solid, the sandbox was clearly made for multiplayer and its works. So what are things that bother me?, well there are many. Lets start with the rotation system. I understand what 343 was saying when they made the decision to drop the veto system, but I would way rather replay good maps that most people like with game types most people like. To sum it up I don’t want to play seven rounds of swatnums on the rig ( sorry to those who like the rig, I just played it way to many times ). Next the UI, this game easily has the worse UI in the series. I want to be able to see everyone’s stats before the match, not just a small thumbnail of their emblems. Moving on to the playlists, preferably the playlists swapping. It was something I wasn’t fond of in halo 4 and I’m still not now, and it’s not the idea of swapping playlists, it’s how it’s been used. Why in the world would you swap out staple game types like snipers and doubles?, they probably should of just been in the initial launch playlists. Playlist swapping is good for new game types, like in 4, binary snipers was a good snipers variant to test, but to test game types that are known to be good like snipers is silly and furthermore how the weekend playlist voting has been handled is silly too. Seriously the second week sums up how silly it’s been handled. The second week of the weekend playlist voting gave us the options of ctf, snipers, and doubles. Now this seems good right?, but here’s the silliness, ctf is in the team arena playlist, plus you can play it in customs and the week previous the community chose snipers, so course it’s going to be doubles. ( do you see what I’m saying? ) the last thing I want to talk about is the lack of social playlist. Halo 5’s multiplayer is a cutthroat competitive multiplayer. What I mean by this is that your more likely to go against teams ( that all know each other, mics, etc ) with no real warm up matches ( except for customs ) and your better off going in with a team of your own. I’m not saying having a strong competitive multiplayer is bad, but permeant social playlist would be much appreciated, and warzone is not a good replacement for social playlist in arena.
> THEATER
> Now earlier, I was very dismissive of this mode and I’m still am. Before I list why, I want to al least say what I like. Being able to spectate all players in a given match is a huge plus, also the outlines are cool. Now for everything that ruins the theater mode. Recording and taking pictures are completely gone, look I understand the xbox one has the dvr, but that tool still has its own flaws and I would like to record full matches to my fileshare. ( on a side note, I would love to see BBKdragoon bring back his replay reviews and I’m pretty sure this isn’t helping ). To go further you still can’t record campaign again and now forge ( I can’t remember if you couldn’t record forge in 4, but you could record both in reach ).
> FORGE
> Similar to theater mode, all the improvements made are wonderful and all the creations that have come from it already are awesome, but it still has a long way to go. To start off an in depth tutorial on the new forge would of been nice, instead of a stream that focused thirty minutes on a pig and a whale, but whatever if you give forgers a tool they forge. Next is the game types and I’m still lost when it comes to this, but let me sum it up. When Halo 4 launched it was missing the race game type. It took a mod and the turbo update to finally get it, so it took a year later for halo 4 to finally get a dedicated race game type and now this game isn’t just missing a race game type, but now infection, come on. REQ items, why can’t I test out REQ variants of weapons and vehicles in forge and customs? Seriously the only place you can do anything with them is in warzone and I at least lose them very quickly because of the mode being so hectic. Look if it has to do with arena maps not having REQ items in them, then they can be replaced with their normal variant right? Or does it have to deal those don’t have the REQ variants unlocked in warzone, but then they do in forge ( it’s probably this ). I still don’t think it’s a good idea to only experience and practice with these weapons in warzone. The last thing is the fileshare or I guess the file browser. Of all the jokes this game has made this one is the biggest. The only way you can download a map is by friending the author and then bookmarking it, so if that persons gamertag looks like this xXxXxxxXXXxXxxxX4lyfexXXx have fun and also once a map is bookmarked people can save it and now they’re the author of the map.

I think that they had so little playlists to avoid the opposite of MCC,except this time they tried taking too little a bit instead of a big one

> 2533274870591903;3:
> No splitscreen has been known well before launch and its because the xbone cant handle it not because 343 was being bad. They announced it the moment they knew it wasnt going to be a thing. Req isnt pay to win an has counters to that. Who cares what your barbie doll looks like, req isnt bad and only really has any meaning in only 1 mode and even then it is anemic.
> The lack of offline modes is troubleing though but the price to pay for better graphics and framerate. You know demand less paint and you get more house.but casuals dont get that.

The fact that the Xbox one can’t even handle a next gen game indicates how not nex gen the X of One is.The Xbox Tao will likely arrive in the next few years,or by the end of this century

I also will stay play h5 as it is the most recent addition to the series but I felt like h4 was better,in that game I actually enjoyed myself a lot more

> 2533275013448714;5:
> > 2533274870591903;3:
> > No splitscreen has been known well before launch and its because the xbone cant handle it not because 343 was being bad. They announced it the moment they knew it wasnt going to be a thing. Req isnt pay to win an has counters to that. Who cares what your barbie doll looks like, req isnt bad and only really has any meaning in only 1 mode and even then it is anemic.
> > The lack of offline modes is troubleing though but the price to pay for better graphics and framerate. You know demand less paint and you get more house.but casuals dont get that.
>
>
> The fact that the Xbox one can’t even handle a next gen game indicates how not nex gen the X of One is.The Xbox Tao will likely arrive in the next few years,or by the end of this century

Well its not like the xbone and ps4 arent anything but 0.5 of the old consoles so it is to be expected.

Yeah I can’t believe you can’t spilt screen, wanted to play campaign with my brother and you can’t even do that. I was reading on another thread how it hurt the lanning community hard. Not able to go to a friend’s house to both play Halo is just sad. If there’s two it more of you. You need 2 or more xbox one’s, two HDTV’s, 2 Halo 5s, and two Xbox live accounts. Of course the more people blah blah blah etc.

I do hate how you can’t test your reqs either. I got the ultra rare plasma pistol, and didn’t really get to use it for the first 5 times. Until finally a good game. Void’s Tear I think.

The thing I hate the most about this game is not seeing my Weapon I killed the most people with, and my metals. My god… I seriously hate that. I loved looking at other people’s metals and yours. Why change that? You have to go all the way to Halo Tracker just to see your total metals, not per game stars. The closest thing you get are the commendations. Which makes me not want to use an assault rifle or BR, or ghost. Since they are already maxed. Please let me see my metals. That was one of my favorite part of Halo. Like getting an unfriggenbelievable or perfection and letting everyone see it. (Which is really hard in this one)

The campaign was terrible. I know it looked cool, but the missions were bland and lame. I’ve played every Halo by the way. Hated Halo 3 campaign because they focused everything in the multiplayer, which I loved the multiplayer. (Hated the ranked system though) you used to be able to stay in one area and kill a ton of -Yoink-, then move on. Now it feels pushed and you only do the same -Yoink- in all the levels. Mostly just use Forerunner weapons and kill everything. The vehicle parts were pushed. Didn’t use them much.

You shouldn’t be able to buy reqs with money. Why go to a pay to win thing… I know it’s not really that way, since I haven’t bought any and still have tons of crap. But I guess that’s the new thing to do. Make it were you can buy your way to the top. (Really talking about phone games on that one) I agree with it being a third of a game. Got rid of a lot of good stuff. What really made Halo different from the other big multiplayer games. But gotta stay with the times I guess. They hurt a lot of good Halo fans by doing this, but still making that dough.
Xbox one is terrible. Xbox 360 was so much better.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I just wish It was a PS4 game sometimes. Not to fanboy or piss anyone off, but it crashes way less and runs better.
Shame Halo is on the XCocks Juan

343i were aiming for a 60fps for Halo 5, they could of left the game at 30fps and gotten more out of the engine and maybe even split screen!

Dang man, what a long post. Gonna just assume it’s just an explanation of Halo 5 being a third of a game, and agree with you.

Good assessment of the Campaign, that about sums it up to how I feel as well. Plus no Campaign commendations or par times? Why isn’t there req points rewarded for playing campaign missions?

One topic you didn’t cover is the dropping of Spartan Ops which was not as good as firefight to begin with but it gave players some PvE options that feel like it would have made Halo 5 more of a complete game had either SO or FF been included.

This is why Reach is the pinnacle of the Halo games, it had problems I know, but what it got so right is that you could play the game any way you liked and build your spartan through your choice of game modes and your choice of armor, no rng and no twisting your arm to force someone into multiplayer.