Halo 5 4k, Xbox One X to 1440p Monitor

Hey, does anyone know if Halo 5 will downscale nicely to a 1440p monitor if using the Xbox One X? I understand that’s kind of a hard question considering it is not out yet, but I am hoping someone from 343i to be able to answer.

Good question

It should down scale just fine. I have a 4k tv and play 1440 gopro vids with no problem.

This really has nothing to do with Halo 5, and everything to do with the scaler in the Xbox One X and your display, as well as the supported output resolutions on the One X. Since you have a 1440p monitor, either the console will have to downscale to 1440p (if the One X supports that as an output resolution), or in the worst case scenario the console will first downscale to 1080p, which your display will then upscale back to 1440p.

What results you will end up getting depends on the quality of the One X scaler, and in the worst case scenario, the quality of your monitor’s scaler.

> 2533274825830455;4:
> This really has nothing to do with Halo 5, and everything to do with the scaler in the Xbox One X and your display, as well as the supported output resolutions on the One X. Since you have a 1440p monitor, either the console will have to downscale to 1440p (if the One X supports that as an output resolution), or in the worst case scenario the console will first downscale to 1080p, which your display will then upscale back to 1440p.
>
> What results you will end up getting depends on the quality of the One X scaler, and in the worst case scenario, the quality of your monitor’s scaler.

Good point monitor, thanks. I just figured it would be a developer thing, more than a Xbox OS thing.

> 2533274832281100;5:
> > 2533274825830455;4:
> > This really has nothing to do with Halo 5, and everything to do with the scaler in the Xbox One X and your display, as well as the supported output resolutions on the One X. Since you have a 1440p monitor, either the console will have to downscale to 1440p (if the One X supports that as an output resolution), or in the worst case scenario the console will first downscale to 1080p, which your display will then upscale back to 1440p.
> >
> > What results you will end up getting depends on the quality of the One X scaler, and in the worst case scenario, the quality of your monitor’s scaler.
>
> Good point monitor, thanks. I just figured it would be a developer thing, more than a Xbox OS thing.

To my understanding, the Xbox x will force the higher resolution rendering but then just super sample down if the screen in question is less then the render resolution, right?

I have the ps4 pro and any game the forces higher than 1080p resolution (I have a 1080p tv) super samples by default and the games in questions look better. And in the games where I can choose I tend to prefer selecting higher resolutions for the super sampling.

Still, we don’t have the x yet, but from my experience with the ps4 pro super sampling, it will look great.

Just my 2 cents