Halo 4's sandbox is a bit too small.

I can’t help but notice each time I play HALO 4 that for a game that features costumizable loadouts, like theres only 3 pistols, 4 marksman rifles, 3 assualt rifles, and like 3 gernade types.And thats it like they could of added alot more guns and grenade types such as.

1.AutoMagnum

2.The assualt rfile from CE that held 60 rounds per clip all they had to do was make it like the lower strength of the assualt rifles from past halo titles.

3.Surpressed SMG from ODST and the standard SMG as well
they could of made them side arms.

4.The needle rifle from REACH.

5.The spiker and brute shot as well.

6.The mualer I think thats what its called the little burte shotgun pistol.

And they should of added not just AAs but things like bubble shield grenades, EMP grenades, VSIR mode from ODST and i’am sure you can think of many more.

note.I’am not saying that HALO 4s sandbox sucks just that it’s kind of small in my oppinion.

Sandbox is fine, loadouts are not. When trying to expand the sandbox every gun is basically the same and serves no purpose. Each gun in halo has a purpose and is there for a reason (for the most part) that is why loadouts do not work. Every gun has its niche and adding to the sandbox just adds duplicates of guns we already have.

I can understand the feeling of missing some of those great weapons in the previous games, I miss the spiker grenades alot.

But if I were to make a list of only useful multiplayer weapons in each game you would realize that the previous halos especially CE had the least amount of useful weapons to use. halo 2 had dueal weilding which was annnoying and added not very much in my opinion. Halo 3 had some of the most fun like the brute shot and mauler but still not that many options. Reach finally made a pistol worth using but that made the AR useless. \

HAlo 4 has the best weapons and balance. which some might complain about but, I beileve in the months to come people will realize that the Ease of use of some of the weapons wont equal long term domination.

I feel so much more satisfaction in sucking with a tough gun like the Light rifle and working toward getting better at using it, than any other weapon in the halo series. The grenade launcher from reach would come close. Mastering tough guns is something I would think people would enjoy, not some stupid achievement or whatever they call it.

> Sandbox is fine, loadouts are not. When trying to expand the sandbox every gun is basically the same and serves no purpose. Each gun in halo has a purpose and is there for a reason (for the most part) that is why loadouts do not work. Every gun has its niche and adding to the sandbox just adds duplicates of guns we already have.

And that duplication is set apart by small degrees to allow players to find not just some general CQC or LR weapon that works for the situation but a weapon that works for them (and whatever exact playstyle they would like to employ.) Think of it as an added level of customization, rather than the more blatent redundancy of the weapons in Halo Reach (plasma rifle-spiker, NR-DMR, AR-PR, ect.) that without a proper loadout system were just fluff.

> I can’t help but notice each time I play HALO 4 that for a game that features costumizable loadouts, like theres only 3 pistols, 4 marksman rifles, 3 assualt rifles, and like 3 gernade types.And thats it like they could of added alot more guns and grenade types such as.
>
> 1.AutoMagnum
>
> 2.The assualt rfile from CE that held 60 rounds per clip all they had to do was make it like the lower strength of the assualt rifles from past halo titles.
>
> 3.Surpressed SMG from ODST and the standard SMG as well
> they could of made them side arms.
>
> 4.The needle rifle from REACH.
>
> 5.The spiker and brute shot as well.
>
> 6.The mualer I think thats what its called the little burte shotgun pistol.
>
> And they should of added not just AAs but things like bubble shield grenades, EMP grenades, VSIR mode from ODST and i’am sure you can think of many more.
>
>
> note.I’am not saying that HALO 4s sandbox sucks just that it’s kind of small in my oppinion.

The Weapon sandbox is actually pretty huge, especially the UNSC sandbox.

The problem is that Brute Weapons have been removed from the sandbox and that leaves the gap filled in by Forerunner weapons.

id rather not have multiples of every weapon…

> > Sandbox is fine, loadouts are not. When trying to expand the sandbox every gun is basically the same and serves no purpose. Each gun in halo has a purpose and is there for a reason (for the most part) that is why loadouts do not work. Every gun has its niche and adding to the sandbox just adds duplicates of guns we already have.
>
> And that duplication is set apart by small degrees to allow players to find not just some general CQC or LR weapon that works for the situation but a weapon that works for them (and whatever exact playstyle they would like to employ.) Think of it as an added level of customization, rather than the more blatent redundancy of the weapons in Halo Reach (plasma rifle-spiker, NR-DMR, AR-PR, ect.) that without a proper loadout system were just fluff.

Honestly I see no need for a loadout system. There was always a easy supply of weapons on the map. And instead of adding variety it really does not add any variety. But this is just my nostalgia talking I hate loadouts. I dont know about you but i always found a nice use for every weapon in the sandbox previously. Spikers were by far the most fun gun ever to use for me. NR v DMR is a tough choice for me, go with the super combine, or well the dmr is the dmr…

I couldent agree more OP.

SMG should have been a secondary.

> I can’t help but notice each time I play HALO 4 that for a game that features costumizable loadouts, like theres only 3 pistols, 4 marksman rifles, 3 assualt rifles, and like 3 gernade types.And thats it like they could of added alot more guns and grenade types such as.
>
> 1.AutoMagnum
>
> 2.The assualt rfile from CE that held 60 rounds per clip all they had to do was make it like the lower strength of the assualt rifles from past halo titles.
>
> 3.Surpressed SMG from ODST and the standard SMG as well
> they could of made them side arms.
>
> 4.The <mark>needle rifle</mark> from REACH.
>
> 5.The spiker and brute shot as well.
>
> 6.The mualer I think thats what its called the little burte shotgun pistol.
>
> And they should of added not just AAs but things like bubble shield grenades, EMP grenades, VSIR mode from ODST and i’am sure you can think of many more.
>
>
> note.I’am not saying that HALO 4s sandbox sucks just that it’s kind of small in my oppinion.

  1. Yes, I miss that, however, I wish the Magnum was like the one from CE.

  2. Not a big fan of the AR, but i think its fine in 4.

  3. You made my day. I really want to see that in the future title.

  4. That is the only Precision weapon i didn’t like. Strong, but use to screw up my aiming.

  5. yes, i want that Spiker and Brute Shot back.

  6. Mauler seemed weak when i first used it. I rather hold on to the UNSC shotgun, and the Scattershot.

  7. AA’s, i like them the way they are. Usually those who complain about the AA’s are those who constantly get killed by them. It seems players want to play “old-school”, but i think AA does wonders, b/c it makes the game much more exciting. Without them, the game is absolutely boring. That’s one reason why I wasn’t too much of a fan of Halo 3 MM.

There’s nothing wrong with AA’s, but they should be map pick-ups. Being able to choose them from spawn is kinda broken. I want 2 seperate playlists, one with loadouts and 1 that has everything on the map (including AA’s). Having map AA’s also allows them to be stronger without having as much balance issues. The reach jetpack would be fine in any Halo game if you had to pick it up from somewhere on the map.

Well, don’t forget Halo 4 has an extended sandbox past the core, which includes a multitude of mid-tier and upper-tier power weapons.

That said, I agree the sandbox feels oddly limited, and I would love to see them beef it up in Halo 5 and beyond. At least the core offerings. I really don’t subscribe that one gun being similar to another is redundant. I think gamers have come to appreciate the subtle changes in gun performance, and Halo really could offer a great variety if it embraced the idea that similar weapons with minor variations will work differently in different hands.

So, needle rifle, yes. SMG w/scope, my God yes (we need a utility automatic rifle or for the current autos to be redesigned to have some measure of utility).

Beyond all that, I’d like to see more creativity in the power weapon design. For instance, why doesn’t Halo have a DOT (damage over time) gun? Why do all the power weapons just go boom?

The sticky detonator is an awesome weapon because it’s more than just a gun that you fire and it goes boom. There’s depth there that players can use in more ways than just dealing damage, and we all know now that gun’s potential.

I’d like to see more of that. What about a redesigned plasma launcher that, instead of sticking exploding balls of plasma to enemies actually sticks balls of plasma that burn and do DOT? What if this kind of gun came with an alternate use where you could shoot floors and make burning plasma spread over an area that would do damage if anyone stepped into it?

> There’s nothing wrong with AA’s, but they should be map pick-ups. Being able to choose them from spawn is kinda broken. I want 2 seperate playlists, one with loadouts and 1 that has everything on the map (including AA’s). Having map AA’s also allows them to be stronger without having as much balance issues. The reach jetpack would be fine in any Halo game if you had to pick it up from somewhere on the map.

The problem with AAs as map pickups is you’re putting items on the map that have infinite ammo and won’t change hands when dropped. If they had limited charge and could change hands if unused, we know that would work because it was a success in Halo 3.

In that regard, the portable grav lift is a much more appropriate item for Halo than the jetpack will ever be.

Setting all that aside, I think AAs can work just fine as long as they aren’t too intrusive on gameplay. Some of the current AAs are OK, while some of them (jetpack, camo, Promethean vision) are too intrusive and always will be no matter what they do. I think re-envisioning AAs so that they are more akin to activatable armor mods that can change base-player traits would be much better for complementing Halo gameplay instead of outright changing it.

In other words, the current AAs are more like special moves. It would be nice to see AAs support legacy abilities, traits, and physics instead of introducing new ones.

The problem is a lack of variety in favor of multiple variations of the same style of weapon (I.E. 4 different precision weapons).

> But if I were to make a list of only useful multiplayer weapons in each game you would realize that the previous halos <mark>especially CE</mark> had the least amount of useful weapons to use.

Prepostero - oh multiplayer.

Huh, you have a point.

> The sticky detonator is an awesome weapon because it’s more than just a gun that you fire and it goes boom. There’s depth there that players can use in more ways than just dealing damage, and we all know now that gun’s potential.

Pro-pipe > sticky detonator

picture the apple workers as 343

please don’t take this seriously

> The problem with AAs as map pickups is you’re putting items on the map that have infinite ammo and won’t change hands when dropped. If they had limited charge and could change hands if unused, we know that would work because it was a success in Halo 3.

As a disclaimer, I agree with your points overall and they make sense. For the first point though, there is already a core element in the Halo sandbox which closely fits your discription: vehicles. Vehicles already have infinte ammo and they quite often don’t change hands either because they get usually blown up in order to kill the person using them. Think of a map pick-up Jet Pack as functioning like a vehicle (particularly the Banshee). Instead of getting in a Banshee and flying around bombing people with its (currently OP’d) cannons, you are simply flying around with your own weapons. As a trade-off, you are much more susceptible to damage and your velocity is much slower and your trajectory is 100% predictable. When you die, the jetpack is gone, just like in 90% of cases with the Banshee as well.

So from that perspective, having a pure AA jetpack as a map pickup wouldn’t be that bad, but I still agree with you anyway that having a finite amount of fuel in it and being retreivable from the dead foe would definitely be better for the gameplay and would also be more realistic.

> In that regard, the portable grav lift is a much more appropriate item for Halo than the jetpack will ever be.

Both can still have their own niche though and can co-exist within the sandbox without the Jet Pack being strictly better. For example, the Grav Lift could be used to launch ground vehicles and other objects into areas which they otherwise wouldn’t be able to access. Lauching a guass hog up onto a high perch for example could be quite devastating on a well designed map. Additionally, the two could be used in conjunction to achieve an extremely fast and high launch into the air.

> Setting all that aside, I think AAs can work just fine as long as they aren’t too intrusive on gameplay. Some of the current AAs are OK, while some of them (jetpack, camo, Promethean vision) are too intrusive and always will be no matter what they do. I think re-envisioning AAs so that they are more akin to activatable armor mods that can change base-player traits would be much better for complementing Halo gameplay instead of outright changing it.

Yeah, couldn’t agree more. Making them armor mods instead of built-in abilities, which are finite in usage would be the way to go. Even a limited PV that is placed in an open area on a map could be good for the game. The balance of the mods and equipment, like pretty much everything else in the game, are strongly dependent on good map design and their placement within them so some maps obviously wouldn’t have certain mods if they would be deemed broken for them.

I prefer having options when it comes to precision weapons, the more variety the better, plus they all behave differently. I really miss the M7 Caseless (SMG) and would love to see it return. I think it would of made a great loadout weapon. Amd the M6C (Automag) would have made an excellent sidearm along with the three currently in the game.

> > I can’t help but notice each time I play HALO 4 that for a game that features costumizable loadouts, like theres only 3 pistols, 4 marksman rifles, 3 assualt rifles, and like 3 gernade types.And thats it like they could of added alot more guns and grenade types such as.
> >
> > 1.AutoMagnum
> >
> > 2.The assualt rfile from CE that held 60 rounds per clip all they had to do was make it like the lower strength of the assualt rifles from past halo titles.
> >
> > 3.Surpressed SMG from ODST and the standard SMG as well
> > they could of made them side arms.
> >
> > 4.The <mark>needle rifle</mark> from REACH.
> >
> > 5.The spiker and brute shot as well.
> >
> > 6.The mualer I think thats what its called the little burte shotgun pistol.
> >
> > And they should of added not just AAs but things like bubble shield grenades, EMP grenades, VSIR mode from ODST and i’am sure you can think of many more.
> >
> >
> > note.I’am not saying that HALO 4s sandbox sucks just that it’s kind of small in my oppinion.
>
> 1. Yes, I miss that, however, I wish the Magnum was like the one from CE.
>
> 2. Not a big fan of the AR, but i think its fine in 4.
>
> 3. You made my day. I really want to see that in the future title.
>
> 4. That is the only Precision weapon i didn’t like. Strong, but use to screw up my aiming.
>
> 5. yes, i want that Spiker and Brute Shot back.
>
> 6. Mauler seemed weak when i first used it. I rather hold on to the UNSC shotgun, and the Scattershot.
>
> 7. AA’s, i like them the way they are. Usually those who complain about the AA’s are those who constantly get killed by them. It seems players want to play “old-school”, but i think AA does wonders, b/c it makes the game much more exciting. Without them, the game is absolutely boring. That’s one reason why I wasn’t too much of a fan of Halo 3 MM.

> The problem is that Brute Weapons have been removed from the sandbox

Brutes (while not canon) would have added so much more spice to Halo 4.