Halo 4's Master Chief better be a realistic character...

If he is that same old emotionless carboard cutout of a character that I have been begging them to change since Halo 2, I probably will not be getting Halo 4. If it is the same old same old, nothing new. With no new enemies. No new characters. No new Master Chief. I will not be getting this game. Do you hear me 343? Does anybody else want to see the Master Chief developed a little more emotionally and personality-wise in this game? I dearly hope I am not the only one.

When I mean developed emotionally, I mean experiencing human emotions.

Happyness
Sadness
Anger
Hopelessness
Blind rage

…maybe if Cortana dies… shed a tear?

You can’t seriously say Spartans are devoid of their humanity. Nor is Master Chief. He has the potential to be a Christ-like figure to gamers, I don’t think he can accomplish that until he is given a degree of humanity.

The books depict him as a blank slate, though. You can tell he feels things, but he always takes them in stride to get the job done, hardly mentioning them. That’s difficult to illustrate.

Maybe, if they have an isolationist campaign like I’m predicting (i.e. it looks like Chief and Cortana will be stranded in the planet by themselves), have them play off of each other. Cortana keeps pointing out how she knows he feels (she is in his head), and MAKING him talk about it.

Do you just ignore the press releases they’ve done since 2001?

He’s a silent protagonist in the game for the most part because of the fact that they want the player to feel more immersed.

If they don’t develop Master Chief’s humanity in Halo 4 I am going to be vehemently disappointed. Bungie should be promoting individuality and freedom of expression. If they don’t develop him in Halo 4 (I will not buy the game until I know for sure he has a likable personality) then I probably will not buy another Halo game again and hold Microsoft Corporation responsible for promoting military and political indoctrination, because as of this moment that is all Master Chief is, an advertisement promoting military indoctrination. 343 can make him so much more.

> If they don’t develop Master Chief’s humanity in Halo 4 I am going to be vehemently disappointed. Bungie should be promoting individuality and freedom of expression. If they don’t develop him in Halo 4 (I will not buy the game until I know for sure he has a likable personality) then I probably will not buy another Halo game again and hold Microsoft Corporation responsible for promoting military and political indoctrination, because as of this moment that is all Master Chief is, an advertisement promoting military indoctrination. 343 can make him so much more.

I respect your opinion but I think it is utter tosh.

Master Chief has always been known as a silent protagonist (other than a few quotes here and there) with little to no emotion.
Why?

Because that is what he was trained to be like, every spartan was trained to keep emotion out of the battlefield no matter what, emotion is weakness and Spartans were never meant to have this issue.

Fair enough, you want a more likeable character but in my own personal opinion, Chief is perfect. He’s a symbol and should not be changed because a few people dislike how he acts. It is unfortunate you don’t like his character very much but he shouldn’t change because of it.

He’s been the same for three games. Why bother changing it? No one ever had an issue with it before.

Like I said I respect your opinion but wholeheartedly disagree with it, good day sir. :smiley:

Also, just to point out Bungie isn’t making Halo 4, 343 is, Bungie decided to make something else and left 343 with a half baked game to fix. I have no respect for that company anymore.

Ahh…do I remember you posting this in the flod saying you were going to troll here? Or was that somone else?

The only emotion addition I want to see from the Chief besides his normal persona, one you take issue with, is the Spartan hand gesture for smiling. That is the only thing I care to see. John is a very realistic character developed through multiple outlets. Just because he doesn’t act like insert various person from other series you may enjoy here in whatever story he is participating in, does not warrant an abrupt change in character disposition. I’m sorry, but I disagree with the OP.

> Ahh…do I remember you posting this in the flod saying you were going to troll here? Or was that somone else?

I remember reading something like that, but I believe it was someone else. Oh, the Flood forum…

-Always Hope

Lol. You can tell the kids that started play Halo when ODST came out from people who have been playing for years. Chief is not a -Yoink!-. If he starts crying like you want him too, I will be so sad.

Personally, I like John the way he’s been - speaking only when necessary, doing what needs to be done.

Hes a spartan, trained to have no emotions and do whatever goal was handed to him by the unsc. Hes basicly a programmed human. Please stop with your evil posts.

Ive played halo since the beginning and ive always accepted the chiefs silence, having him become emotional would kinda break him, it would just be wrong, what i wouldnt mind is him actually responding to cortana when she talks to him a bit more often like in the books

> Ive played halo since the beginning and ive always accepted the chiefs silence, having him become emotional would kinda break him, it would just be wrong, what i wouldnt mind is him actually responding to cortana when she talks to him a bit more often like in the books

Chief has never replied to anybody / anything except in a cut scene. Maybe different this time with 343 running the show so who knows…

I like Cardboard Chief. It was really the best way to introduce people to playing Halo to begin with. Plus, I don’t want a repeat of Metroid: Other M. Where talking too much is horrid.

> Lol. You can tell the kids that started play Halo when ODST came out from people who have been playing for years. Chief is not a -Yoink!-. If he starts crying like you want him too, I will be so sad.

agreed ^^ If chief crys then i’d most likly have to cry… and probably brake down lol. I’d hate it if that happend though, its just not Chief. Spartans dont die… or have visible emotions people can see. =D

To Me, He Is Real Enough.
He Show’s Anger, He Shows His Rage, He Shows Commitment.
Show No Fear, No Sorrow, No Pain. The Weight Of His Race Rests On His Shoulders.

As For Enemies, Hell Yeah There Better Be New Enemies, I Mean The Dude Pretty Much Did A Random Jump Into Space. Time To Lock And Load! Shoot To Kill, Shoot First, Shoot Again, Nudge The Body, Shoot Once More, Then Remember You Forgot To Ask Questions.

I don’t know about you, but the trailer for Halo 4 said more about Master Chief than any of the games combined. The dialogue, even though there wasn’t much, was so powerful.

“John! I need you!”
“I’m here!”

In short, I don’t think we have anything to worry about.

His character in Halo 1 and 2 was so overwhelmingly ridiculous and unrealistic, there was some points I had to turn the game off and laugh for a moment or two at how corny it was. Now, I can understand him throwing a temper trantrum would be unrealistic. But could we at least hear him speaking through gritted teeth for once? Or being a good samaratin and comforting a civilian, like Jorge. Even a “Don’t worry, you’ll be okay, I’ll make sure of it.” would be great! That would make the game, well part of it anyway. If he is the savior of mankind I, personally, think he should embody all of their best traits, including being an unstoppable force, as well as being a gentle protector. Like in the Mass Effect 3 trailer how Shepard sees a little girl in the vents and offers to help her, something like that would bring a degree of humanity and humbleness to his character which I think is much needed.

> Lol. You can tell the kids that started play Halo when ODST came out from people who have been playing for years. Chief is not a -Yoink!-. If he starts crying like you want him too, I will be so sad.

I’ve been playing Halo since day 1. And crying doesn’t make you a -Yoink!-, kid, I’ve seen soldiers cry. My uncle was in the Army for 14 years and he admits he has cried. You can’t possibly imagine what happens in war.

…Can’t even possibly begin to ‘comprehend’.

No. That would completely kill what a Spartan is. He is depicted as one who can put his feelings aside for the sake of the mission for a reason: That is the only way to fully compose yourself to ensure success of the mission. He sees himself as a tool, not some family man with a wife back home and 3 little kids. It’s what makes him just that much more badass.