Halo 4's Lead Multiplayer Designer

So without bringing too much Reach into this, I saw it noted recently that the Lead Multiplayer Designer for Halo 4 is Kevin Franklin. His only real “lead design roles” have been two SOCOM games, one of which did poorly review-wise, and the other being a handheld spin-off.

The reason I bring this up is that we all got to see what Sage Merrill brought to Halo from his past design experiences. Not everybody liked the additions from the new design.

This isn’t an attempted knock at Kevin Franklin, or 343 by extension. Just a nagging worry that past game experiences will ‘leak’ into Halo 4’s multiplayer and change the game far too much from what it was.

So with that; thoughts?

I wouldn’t take their level of competence from their past experiences too much.

For example, Josh Holmes worked on the dreadful Turok but I still have faith he is great as his job.

Also, their previous games won’t affect Halo 4. I.e, he won’t incorporate SOCOM elements into Halo 4 or there will not be dinosaurs running about.

Dude, SOCOM Combined Assault was my love back in the PS2 days. I could screw it over and over again. What I’d do to play it again…

What SOCOMs did he work on?

i do not think we have to worry i dont think we will be playing a third person squad based game, at least i hope lol

If Halo 4 is another hyrbid game it will be a fail from the start.

> Dude, SOCOM Combined Assault was my love back in the PS2 days. I could screw it over and over again. What I’d do to play it again…
>
>
> What SOCOMs did he work on?

He worked on these two.
SOCOM: Confrontation
SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3

Okay.

imad

He was one of the people who ruined SOCOM with Confrontation.

He better do better with Halo 4.

> I wouldn’t take their level of competence from their past experiences too much.
>
> For example, Josh Holmes worked on the dreadful Turok but I still have faith he is great as his job.
>
> Also, their previous games won’t affect Halo 4. I.e, he won’t incorporate SOCOM elements into Halo 4 or there will not be dinosaurs running about.

I’m not necessarily saying he’s incompetent, merely expressing worry at a less than favorable track record, as well as design choices that may hold resemblance to past games.
As far as a creative director goes for Josh Holmes, I’m sure there’s enough source material to not worry about any Turok invading Halo.

Wish I never read this :confused:

> Wish I never read this :confused:

I honestly don’t mean to be a bearer of bad news.
Just a fan expressing a minor concern, is all.

Hopefully his team will consist of so ex.bungie/343 dlc map people

> Hopefully his team will consist of so ex.bungie/343 dlc map people

huh? there are only 4-5 people from bungie at 343. The other 195 people are fresh and new… Where are people getting this info that bungie folks working at 343?

343i has stated multiple times that they want to keep Halo Halo. I wouldn’t worry about too many odd game mechanics floating into the game. As for using “inexperienced” people, I think 343i is going for younger, untapped talent to help keep Halo alive over the next decade.

> 343i has stated multiple times that they want to keep Halo Halo. I wouldn’t worry about too many odd game mechanics floating into the game. As for using “inexperienced” people, I think 343i is going for younger, untapped talent to help keep Halo alive over the next decade.

I don’t really think it’s a matter of being inexperienced. I mean, with Halo: Reach, at it’s core it is pretty much a Halo game. Just additions that were, I would assume, made to keep Halo ‘fresh’ kind of altered the "golden three; weapons, grenades, and melee’.

It’s just with two mediocre SOCOM games as a history, which I’d wager are more tactical focused than Halo, it’s more a matter of slight mechanic changes that could alter Halo more than it should be.

343 should have collaborated with Max Hoberman (Halo 2’s lead) and his company Certain Affinity.

What a shame

This can only lead to better or worse only time will tell.

> > 343i has stated multiple times that they want to keep Halo Halo. I wouldn’t worry about too many odd game mechanics floating into the game. As for using “inexperienced” people, I think 343i is going for younger, untapped talent to help keep Halo alive over the next decade.
>
> I don’t really think it’s a matter of being inexperienced. I mean, with Halo: Reach, at it’s core it is pretty much a Halo game. Just additions that were, I would assume, made to keep Halo ‘fresh’ kind of altered the "golden three; weapons, grenades, and melee’.
>
> It’s just with two mediocre SOCOM games as a history, which I’d wager are more tactical focused than Halo, it’s more a matter of slight mechanic changes that could alter Halo more than it should be.

I’m sure he will do a great job. And he’s also worked on Need for Speed, so we could expect some excellent vehicle combat in the game.

He was chosen for the job for a reason.

> 343 should have collaborated with Max Hoberman (Halo 2’s lead) and his company Certain Affinity.
>
> What a shame

I love Certain Affinity. Those guys are genius. They make the best Halo maps too…

> I’m sure he will do a great job. And he’s also worked on Need for Speed, so we could expect some excellent vehicle combat in the game.

He worked on Need for Speed, but as Dev Support. I’m not entirely sure what that entails, but I don’t think it invovled anything design or mechanic related. Just a thought. I’m not doubting him, or saying he’s a hopeless case or anything.

I hope he creates an amazing Halo experience. It’s merely his recent Lead Design jobs that cause me to raise questions.

> 343 should have collaborated with Max Hoberman (Halo 2’s lead) and his company Certain Affinity.
>
> What a shame

I may be wrong, but I thought they are working on H4 maps. Don’t quote me on that, but i will try and find some evidence for you.