Halo 4's Good and Bad List

I have made a few threads these past few weeks, mostly focusing on the broken parts, which a good few of them are getting addressed in a soon-to-be-patch. So now I’m going to bring up what wasn’t mentioned but also bring out what I feel they got right.

The good.

• Join in progress. Even though it was broken, it leaves the option to join or re-join your friends.

• Loadouts. Removes the age old vote for precision weapons over assault rifles.

• Less lag. Even though it has a bad system for teaming players in bad regions together, it’s still not as bad as in other games.

• Good variety of map colours, textures and sizes.

• Sounds are superb.

The Bad

• Boltshot is hands down one of the most OP weapons. It’s a side arm that out preforms the Scattershot in usefulness and effective range.
    -An easy fix would be would be decrease range in increase charge up time.

• All grenades should be limited to 1 per loadout, if nothing else, reduce stickies to 1.

• Player traits when interacting with other players seem too distruptive. It’s probably made to be more realistic but it feels like they took the player traits from Halo 1 where they are basically a brick wall which you get hung up on easily.
    -A fix would be to look at previous Halos and find a middle ground to allow more fluid movements.

• Blandness of gameplay. Instant respawns seems to make the game too repetitive for me and I get bored after 10 games or so.
    -A fix is to drop instant respawns. With everyone having running, game pace is kept fast.

• The melee system feels off to me. It is hard to explain but often when going into the melee hit, I miss and I notice the enemy misses their attempts at hits as well.

• Damage modifiers should be displayed in kill cams such as damage boost and explosives modifiers.

• Plasma Pistol in loadouts for BTB really gums it up for me. I know the operator mod is there to even it out, but considering I had to get to SR60 to even it all out really ticked me off. Makes using almost any vehicle a death warrant when using a warthog and there are plenty of other power weapons to deal with them.

• There should be no instant respawns on <mark>all</mark> objectives.

• Lack of customization in Forge and removal of gametypes.
    -Easy fix, put them back in. I was really sad not to see Race!

• Make the DMR less versatile. Either less range in scope or much less aim assist.
    -The idea the DMR would be out preformed by the BR at closer ranges doesn’t work for I can out shoot a BR real easy at closer ranges. And its far too effective at extreme ranges. Needs a bit more bloom.

• Instant respawns again. The other issue for me is it doesn’t make people think WHY they died and adjust accordingly, instead it just is a flood of the same person you just killed.
    -I never personally liked this change.

• Make a more true “Classic” playlist. It was stated we would get on, and slayer pro isn’t it. I do like that playlist, it just gets about as boring as Infinity slayer does.
    -Removal of instant respawns, more loadout precision weapon spawns and a regular power weapon spawn times in the same locations. And the addition of BTB Classic might be nice.

• Removal of De-scoping and the addition of flinching.
    -For me it’s such a distruptive experience it just makes me want to let myself die then rather try and fight through it. (Thanks for mentioning this I Alcanite I)

• Increased radar.
    -I feel there is supposed to be a degree of situational awareness, you should be able to make a guess and go on that guess and leave a back door open if you made a bad call. But now we can just look at the big circle on our screen and see an incredible distance.

• Friendly fire being off and on in various playlists.
    -I have died because teammates carelessly use grenades/power weapons now. It’s rather frustrating seeing a teammate throw a 'nade my way in Slayer Pro or objectives and it sometime isn’t their fault… <mark>Even I make the mistake once in a while after playing too much infinity slayer.</mark>

• Incredibly fast despawn times for weapons.
    -Probably meant to balance out power weapons from ordinance, but how they implemented it is basically putting a band aid on a broken leg.

• Removal of 'X’s for death markers and removal of useful team indicators of shooting or being shot at. They were incredibly useful.
    -Easy fix. PUT THEM BACK IN.

• Spartan Ops. It’s taken me this long just to even think about it again.
    -My problem with it is it feels like the developers made a hybrid forge editor to easily repurpose areas and maps, add it cheap cutscene marines and make objectives. Heck, the drop pods arent even solid objects, you can <mark>jet pack through them</mark> at will. Any my point is that it plays like they used a cheap forge editor and had to reuse way too many maps which makes the game just not play right. The threads that connect the story (episode) to the missions feel almost non-existant, just basically do a generic objective, kill stuff and done.

For me the hype didn’t live up to expectations for me.

Please check out my thread regarding classic playlists.

Thats all I have to list right now. I know there is a lot more bad then good but it’s still a good game at it’s core, but there just needs some screws tightened or loosened and to be greased up so it runs more smoothly for Halo players.

With that said, please mention whatever I didn’t cover and give you personal opinions of the game, what you like and dislike and anything else.

Woops, meant to edit my post not reply.

I agree with all your points but to add one of my BAD

• Removal of De-Scope when being shot

Someone with Rogue specialization will have no problem killing players at long range since there is no Flinch or De-Scope. A good sniper with Camo and Rogue is Godlike. With De-Scope at least you have a chance to screw up his aim when putting shots into him. Doesn’t even have to be a sniper, someone using the DMR can have similar results.

This good and bad list seems to be just for multiplayer. I believe the the most important issues are the lack of custom options, game types, and Forge nerfs.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that you mentioned Forge and gametypes.

EDIT 2: Instead of nerfing the DMR, they could just make everything else better. There’s wayyyyyy too much nerfed stuff as it is.

> This good and bad list seems to be just for multiplayer. I believe the the most important issues are the lack of custom options, game types, and Forge nerfs.
>
> EDIT: Nevermind, I see that you mentioned Forge.

Never mind then. guess you can tell I didnt read it.

Dat DMR is all im gonna say

> The melee system feels off to me. It is hard to explain but often when going into the melee hit, I miss and I notice the enemy misses their attempts at hits as well.

Noticed this too. In the past you basically aimed near them and pressed B, now you have to be aiming right at them.

> Removal of De-Scope when being shot

De-scope was more of a nuisance than an actual tactic, flinch is pretty much the same but you don’t have to keep spamming the zoom button. Personally I enjoy this feature.

The rogue specialization is the issue here.

> I agree with all your points but to add one of my BAD
> - Removal of De-Scope when being shot
>
> Someone with Rogue specialization will have no problem killing players at long range since there is no Flinch or De-Scope. A good sniper with Camo and Rogue is Godlike. With De-Scope at least you have a chance to screw up his aim when putting shots into him. Doesn’t even have to be a sniper, someone using the DMR can have similar results.

Thanks forgot to mention that.

> This good and bad list seems to be just for multiplayer. I believe the the most important issues are the lack of custom options, game types, and Forge nerfs.
>
> EDIT: Nevermind, I see that you mentioned Forge and gametypes.
>
> EDIT 2: Instead of nerfing the DMR, they could just make everything else better. There’s wayyyyyy too much nerfed stuff as it is.

Feel free to elaborate on what’s missing in the forge department. I’ve never been a big forger. My first big experience with forging was about 5 days ago when two friends and I were in forge and I decided to make an aerial man cannon where you drive various vehicles in and fly and change directions while going through low gravity areas and eventually die in a fiery area of death.

Needless to say, it was fun.

But that said, I’ve never had the patients to make well forged maps so everyone feel free weigh in on the subject.

> > This good and bad list seems to be just for multiplayer. I believe the the most important issues are the lack of custom options, game types, and Forge nerfs.
> >
> > EDIT: Nevermind, I see that you mentioned Forge.
>
> Never mind then. guess you can tell I didnt read it.
>
> Dat DMR is all im gonna say

It’s both a good and bad weapon for me. I like it because it’s so useful, but in contrast with everything else it’s OP. It’s basically the end all be all precision weapon, bested only by a sniper lucky enough to get the first shot off.

> > The melee system feels off to me. It is hard to explain but often when going into the melee hit, I miss and I notice the enemy misses their attempts at hits as well.
>
> Noticed this too. In the past you basically aimed near them and pressed B, now you have to be aiming right at them.
>
>
>
> > Removal of De-Scope when being shot
>
> De-scope was more of a nuisance than an actual tactic, flinch is pretty much the same but you don’t have to keep spamming the zoom button. Personally I enjoy this feature.
>
> The rogue specialization is the issue here.

Even aiming right at them I seem to find it feels a bit off now and then. I’ve even sparred with the enemy a few times, booth of us missed our melee shots twice until I gave up and pulled out my trusty bolt shot…

For me, de-scoping is part of Halo. It allows you to make a decision, try and rescope and take out the target. straife and noscope shoot or run. But now I have died because of this. And in most of the situations that I have died because of it I would have had a good second or so to dart away.

In most situations that I had died was because I was teamed shot by two individuals. My chances of living would have been small but still a good chance.

The thing is, I love the loadout design and the ordinance additions to Halo. They just get too random sometimes. We get a excessive amounts of power weapons on the map. In previous games I had a general sense where the person with shotgun was, where the sword was, when to expect to secure the rocket spawn location, and now all that is completely changed.

It’s more chaos than order, you never know when the red dot will have an AR, BR, SAW or shotgun.

And with the increased radar everyone pretty much knows where everyone is and we can even extend the radar even more with a mod.

I’ve updated my thread with a few more points. Will get back to this tomorrow. Night all.

Nice post.

Awww I was hoping for the bad side of the list that you would just put “Elites. Where are they?”

> Awww I was hoping for the bad side of the list that you would just put “Elites. Where are they?”

There are a couple threads that have like 600+ pages and a few hundred favourites. I didn’t feel compelled to talk about that.

I don’t feel 343i should have completely removed them from the game, but I never really liked fighting them to be honest. It was just harder to kill in Halo 3 and Invasion was a tad annoying with weapon/player trait differences.

But Sangheili should not have been removed I must say that. Halo 4 isn’t progress. It’s more of an example of regression with how much was dropped from the game with no real reason to.

> The Bad
>
> [/li]1. Blandness of gameplay. <mark>Instant respawns seems to make the game too repetitive</mark> for me and I get bored after 10 games or so.
> -A fix is to drop instant respawns. With everyone having running, game pace is kept fast.
>
> 1. <mark>No instant respawns on all objectives.</mark>
>
>
> 1. <mark>Instant respawns</mark> again. The other issue for me is it doesn’t make people think WHY they died and adjust accordingly, instead it just is a flood of the same person you just killed.
> -<mark>I never personally liked this change.</mark>
[/quote]
You say you hate Instant respawns twice yet then comment on th lack on instant respawns on objective gametypes. Nice one.
>
> Oh and nearly all of your points are opinion. Th boltshot need a nerf and maybe the dmr a tiny ROF increase but really this game isn’t bad. The changes you want would be going back rather than forward.

> > The Bad
> >
> > [/li]1. Blandness of gameplay. <mark>Instant respawns seems to make the game too repetitive</mark> for me and I get bored after 10 games or so.
> > -A fix is to drop instant respawns. With everyone having running, game pace is kept fast.
> >
> > 1. <mark>No instant respawns on all objectives.</mark>
> >
> >
> > 1. <mark>Instant respawns</mark> again. The other issue for me is it doesn’t make people think WHY they died and adjust accordingly, instead it just is a flood of the same person you just killed.
> > -<mark>I never personally liked this change.</mark>
[/quote]
You say you hate Instant respawns twice yet then comment on th lack on instant respawns on objective gametypes. Nice one.
> >
> > Oh and nearly all of your points are opinion. Th boltshot need a nerf and maybe the dmr a tiny ROF increase but really this game isn’t bad. The changes you want would be going back rather than forward.
[/quote]
Typo on the Objective instant respawns. Meant to convey that instant respawns should not be in Halo’s objectives. It just often leads to an unrelenting torrent of people pushing the objective.
> >
> > Also, how would the increase of the ROF fix the DMR? It’s already incredibly fast.
> >
> > -edit-
> >
> > You read the first part wrong. “No instant respawns on all objectives” means exactly how it sounds, there should be no instant respawns on all objective game types. But I will clarify it now.
> >
> > Additionally, yes a lot of this are opinions and it’s not meant to be the opinion of everyone. This is a forum and this is feedback. I think of everything logically before posting as best as I can, sometimes my posts can be more biased but I look at both sides of the coin before saying something.

I’m very surprised that you chose to include the following in the “Good” section.

> Loadouts. Removes the age old vote for precision weapons over assault rifles.
>
> Less lag. Even though it has a bad system for teaming players in bad regions together, it’s still not as bad as in other games.
>
> Good variety of map colours, textures and sizes.
>
> Sounds are superb.

Why make stickies to 1? Dont like being stuck?

> I’m very surprised that you chose to include the following in the “Good” section.
>
>
>
> > Loadouts. Removes the age old vote for precision weapons over assault rifles.
> >
> > Less lag. Even though it has a bad system for teaming players in bad regions together, it’s still not as bad as in other games.
> >
> > Good variety of map colours, textures and sizes.
> >
> > Sounds are superb.

If you are including everything you quoted there, I understand what you are talking about, just I don’t like how 343i delivered it for me, but it’s more good than bad for me, it just like everything needs to be tweaked.

Loadouts are better than voting for AR/BR/DMR, I don’t really like the mods and some of the abilities are just annoying, but more bearable than a lot of the other new additions.

Instead of gray maps we got dark/black, gray/white, organic/white/bright, orange/gray. Though some of the maps are lacking IMO.

And I do really like the sounds of the game.

GOOD

healthy arsenal that makes for good variety

jump height

shooting feels nice

bullets slow sprint users

AR is finally a viable choice again

grenades aren’t mini nukes

certain load out choices, thus ending the frustration of valhalla or last resort with AR starts.

BAD
Campaign

DMR is over powered and promotes non movement.

Flinch/no de-scoping

spartan helmets (wtf)

too much bloom in the graphics so the spartans actually glow

spawning with bolt shot

jetpack, active camo, HLS, auto turret, PV, and regen

spawning with PP and stickies
BTB is ruined by dmr, people spawning with pp and stickies, and all around terran that causes the warthog to just flip over for no reason or get stuck long enough to get stickied from the whole other team.

global ordinance randomizes the combat on the maps and makes battle chaotic since you don’t know whats on the field at any given time.

Personal ordinance further promotes camping

some perks like awareness, further promotes camping.

menu was changed into a less practical design

no fileshare system

red and blue spartans now look like easter sunday candy.

not enough small arena maps

forge lighting is still broken

insta spawn. Makes it feel like you’re playing horde mode. I’m certain you can get a double kill by killing the same exact person. I’ve gotten a double kill, but then was cleaned up by the first person I killed right after.

WTF?!? no traditional halo music, BIG W.T.F