Halo 4 Will Have a Great Skill Spread

I was thinking about the weapons, and it occurred to me that the three that they showed off will probably vary most in how difficult they are to use at close range.

• The AR will be easy to use at close range, like it always has. The skill involved in using this weapon will be to get the precision weapon wielding opponents to screw up. Otherwise, a good BR or DMR user will beat someone with an AR in a head-on fight.

• The BR will be like it always has been- slightly more powerful than the assault rifle, but not much more powerful. This way, a good BR person will beat an AR every time, but not if the AR outwits or surprises them.

• The DMR in Reach was easy to use because there was a ton of aiming assistance. Without that aiming assistance, and some recoil added, it would be very difficult to use. You can still get glancing headshots with a BR, but not with a DMR. For this reason, it would be cool if the DMR was slightly more powerful than the BR, because then it would not only become a good long range weapon but it would also become an extremely powerful tool in the hands of a master.

Now, an estimate for this trend would be that if every shot were to land, it would take half an AR mag (2.5 seconds) to kill, 3 perfect bursts of the BR (2 sec), or 3 perfect DMR shots (1.5 sec). These are Mississippi seconds… with perfection in mind.

If these weapons and the other primary weapon choices follow this trend, I think it would be a very fun and rewarding compromise to the utility weapon question, and players can use the weapon that fits their skill level.

> I was thinking about the weapons, and it occurred to me that the three that they showed off will probably vary most in how difficult they are to use at close range.
>
> - The AR will be easy to use at close range, like it always has. The skill involved in using this weapon will be to get the precision weapon wielding opponents to screw up. Otherwise, a good BR or DMR user will beat someone with an AR in a head-on fight.
>
> - The BR will be like it always has been- slightly more powerful than the assault rifle, but not much more powerful. This way, a good BR person will beat an AR every time, but not if the AR outwits or surprises them.
>
> - The DMR in Reach was easy to use because there was a ton of aiming assistance. Without that aiming assistance, and some recoil added, it would be very difficult to use. You can still get glancing headshots with a BR, but not with a DMR. For this reason, it would be cool if the DMR was slightly more powerful than the BR, because then it would not only become a good long range weapon but it would also become an extremely powerful tool in the hands of a master.
>
> Now, an estimate for this trend would be that if every shot were to land, it would take half an AR mag (2.5 seconds) to kill, 3 perfect bursts of the BR (2 sec), or 3 perfect DMR shots (1.5 sec). These are Mississippi seconds… with perfection in mind.
>
> If these weapons and the other primary weapon choices follow this trend, I think it would be a very fun and rewarding compromise to the utility weapon question, and players can use the weapon that fits their skill level.

I agree, Halo 4 would be fun with these rules.

I hope the weapons have the same hitscan than in Halo Reach.

But I think the DMR would take 4 shots not 3 though.

But I like your theories.

It’s nice to see some thought in your theories.

The AR might not be inferior to a perfect 4 shot with the BR this time around. They’ve said many times that they’re specifically focusing on having a more balanced sandbox with no “god tier” weapons. It’s totally feasible that the AR will beat the BR in close range fights even if the BR user has perfect execution. It’s what I’m actually expecting to happen, sad as it may be.

The DMR user should be able to outplay the BR user with perfect execution because of the more difficult nature of landing a shot (no glancing blows) but unless the spread of the BR means you can’t hit all of the bullets at range (like in Halo 3) then a good BR user will be able to outshoot a good DMR user even at range. They’ve said specifically that the BR kills faster but that it’s harder to hit people at range because of recoil - if a player is able to conquer the recoil and the spread isn’t too large then the BR user will beat the DMR user at any range.

From the sounds of things so far I think the DMR will be underpowered (for good players) and that the AR will be good enough for people to actually use as a serious tactic against BR users (as it was in Halo 3 in some situations, but I think the range at which it will be viable will be increased). If I were to speculate further I’d say that I imagine a lot of BR users will also use forerunner vision to make sure nobody is anywhere near them with an AR before running around corners to try to keep themselves as far away from the AR as possible, so they have a decent chance of killing its user.

Worst case scenario (and probably likely, thanks to people’s love for abusing features) is that AR users will all use active camo to counter BR users forerunner vision and to get close enough to BR users that they win the fights, and BR users will be forced to camp to try to wait out the camo users before they can be sure that a pathway is safe to walk down. DMR users will either use camo to make sure they get first shot against BR users, or jetpack to maximise the distance from the BR user in order to make them miss more shots from recoil/spread and win fights.

> The AR might not be inferior to a perfect 4 shot with the BR this time around. They’ve said many times that they’re specifically focusing on having a more balanced sandbox with no “god tier” weapons. It’s totally feasible that the AR will beat the BR in close range fights even if the BR user has perfect execution. It’s what I’m actually expecting to happen, sad as it may be.
>
> The DMR user should be able to outplay the BR user with perfect execution because of the more difficult nature of landing a shot (no glancing blows) but unless the spread of the BR means you can’t hit all of the bullets at range (like in Halo 3) then a good BR user will be able to outshoot a good DMR user even at range. They’ve said specifically that the BR kills faster but that it’s harder to hit people at range because of recoil - if a player is able to conquer the recoil and the spread isn’t too large then the BR user will beat the DMR user at any range.
>
> From the sounds of things so far I think the DMR will be underpowered (for good players) and that the AR will be good enough for people to actually use as a serious tactic against BR users (as it was in Halo 3 in some situations, but I think the range at which it will be viable will be increased). If I were to speculate further I’d say that I imagine a lot of BR users will also use forerunner vision to make sure nobody is anywhere near them with an AR before running around corners to try to keep themselves as far away from the AR as possible, so they have a decent chance of killing its user.

Definitely good considerations. However, when they meant “God Tier” I don’t think that they meant that the AR will actually overpower a perfect BR. However, the line will be a thin one. For a good balance, I would say that the BR user would have to miss the equivalent of a full burst to beat a perfect AR.

For your second comment, I think that will separate the “Good Players” from the true masters. Since the DMR is semi-auto, a DMR will be able to fire a little faster than the BR, and a DMR user who can completely conquer recoil will probably be able to beat the BR. Or should be able to, anyway.

As for AA combos, I think that active camo will be beaten be the hologram (my personal favorite!), and that forerunner vision will be able to discern the hologram as a fake. So I think that they will all be perfectly viable options.