Halo 4- Where to draw the line.

Alright community, I’d like to talk about some decisions that really need to be thought about by those high up. These points mostly discuss how to gain a larger community, and truely compete with more popular game series- such as CoD. I will refer to CoD several times in this thread, as it is simply a very succesful franchise.

The first thing I’d like to ask about attracting a larger community is if we, the community, actually want a larger community? Many of the tactics used my CoD that attract a community are manipulative tactics that often attract some… questionable gamers. Personally, I’m fine with the already large Halo fanbase. Obviously, those in the industry want as many players as possible- but what do you want?

One of the major factors that contribute to CoD’s success is the rewards for playing. Whether you just picked up the game, or have been playing 24/7 for the last week, you will constantly be recieving “new” items in-game. These items can be anything from a new weapon, to a simple aesthetic option. The game also shows you these options as you unlock them, and shows any points you gain from kills/ actions right in the center of your screen. These get the player excited everytime they do something.

With unlocking items, we really need to know where to draw the line with customization. As a long-time Halo fan, I feel we need to draw a hard line at performance modifiers. Halo has a history of putting any two players on an even field, and this should be kept in the next trilogy. Unfortunatly, this drastically reduces the customization options- meaning time between unlocks will be much longer.

Customization, as it is commonly viewed as on the internet, is not simply “dressing up your spartan doll.” Personally, I’ve always liked customizing your actual spartan. As a competetive player, I find myslef targeting players that need my wrath. Having every player wearing a unique helmet, I can easily remember and find the player I want. Emblem customization helps players show off thier clan, if they find it necessary. While its never made it to Halo, weapon skins can show off a players dedication.

Another thing we need to consider is the possibility of a “prestige” system. While it would likely be considered a direct rip-off from CoD, its a very creative solution to a common problem. With such a system, players can always unlock more items- even with a very limited number of unlocks. Players can also continue to “level up” for a much longer period of time, without losing all thier previous progress.

So, where do you think we should daw the line? All these point will almost certainly bring along a large chunk of players, but may sacrifise some of what we consider “HALO.”

The success of Halo 4 would come from strong mechanics and game play, not good customisation.
Its the core game play that keeps people playing.

> The success of Halo 4 would come from strong mechanics and game play, not good customisation.
> Its the core game play that keeps people playing.

Yes, mechanics have kept quite a few players to Halo. As I said before, I’m fine with the 300k-ish players Halo will always have. However, many are not happy with this. I hate to start “flaming” the game, but I seriously doubt strong mechanics and solid core gameplay are what keep several million players to CoD.

[deleted]

> Reach had great customization, but it didn’t help at all, did it?

Yes, had some great customization- but it barely notified players when they unlocked items. Unlocking these items was also seperate from ranking up, so players had to first rank up, then save credits to purchase these items. Ranking up itself was very slow, and the exact credits/rank meant that players would often have to decide whether to purchase something or save up so they could get the next new thing as soon as possible. This wasn’t a very rewarding process.

It’s difficult to comment on this topic, to be honest.

I hope they add plenty of aesthetic customization options, but I would probably be against any sort of customization that changed gameplay mechanics, even in a minor way.

As you said, Halo has (up until Reach) always been known for pitting each player on a totally even playing field. There’s a difference between adding an extra dimension to balanced gameplay, versus changing core mechanics that drift away from the established reputation of Halo.

I think that’s where we should draw the line. I would welcome extensive aesthetic customizations, but don’t throw in any customizations that alter actual gameplay mechanics.

^It’s very difficult to comment on this topic, I agree.

Personally, OP, I feel the same way about literally everything you said. The question though was where the line should be drawn. My answer is I don’t know.

What I DO know is that whatever they add to customization and player rewarding, it should NEVER be something that adds a varying factor to the core of Halo gameplay which is balance among all players. Weapons, grenades, and vehicles should all act one way and it’s the players use of the sandbox that determines the “better” player.

That’s why I play Halo and what 343 should respect.

I for one find it annoying when i kill someone and 20 different things pop up on my screen and block my view as opposed to the small colorful medals with the deep gravelly voice commentary. Games that award you for your hard work are fun, but not when the developers get carried away…

I kind of see what you’re getting at. The fast unlocking and leveling system of CoD is probably the only thing that kept me interested for that long, until I realized I yet again payed 60$ for a re-skin of the same -Yoink-. Then on Halo Reach it takes so damn long to level up that i easily lose interest. I’d say that if you ranked up a lot quicker (2-3 games max) it would make the game more interesting, although it would be unfair to say this applies to everyone seeing as i have an extremely short attention span.

Now in Halo 4 (or even in reach) this could have easily been done by adding 2 ranking systems similar to Halo 3. You have your regular military styled ranks (Earning XP or cR at a fast rate. Would unlock Armor and possibly Weapon Skins.) and your True Skill (Which is based upon your W/L, Wins make it go up, Losses make it go down.) This way you can please both types of players.

Here’s a good solution: Include weapon and vehicle customization but make it strictly for firefight and maybe campaign, since AI aren’t going to rage quit over overpowered weapons. This would vastly improve firefight and make it more interesting, while retaining classic Halo multiplayer.

This idea would be far more effective if firefight was expanded into new situations such as space combat(imagine being able to customize space fighters), vehicle based missions, and flood survival(not a rip off, as it would be just on a few maps)maybe with 8-player coop in matchmaking. An alternative would for 343 to just integrate weapon and vehicle customization into campaign.

Here’s a good solution: Include weapon and vehicle customization but make it strictly for firefight and maybe campaign, since AI aren’t going to rage quit over overpowered weapons. This would vastly improve firefight and make it more interesting, while retaining classic Halo multiplayer.

This idea would be far more effective if firefight was expanded into new situations such as space combat(imagine being able to customize space fighters), vehicle based missions, and flood survival(not a rip off, as it would be just on a few maps)maybe with 8-player coop in matchmaking. An alternative would for 343 to just integrate weapon and vehicle customization into campaign.

you see. i dont want halo to become another first person shooter because halo is unique. so ill tell you that resistance, battle field, cod, whatever you can think of. they all have a system where you unlock weapons and rank up. halo is unique and i dont want it to change to much.