Halo 4: What will forge be like?

This is just an opinion forum. Bungie really impressed me with the things that Forge in Reach brought to the table (even though after the game shipped we quickly realized that grey is quite the annoying color.) So my question to you guys is -

What do you expect from Halo 4 Forge?

We probably won’t get any official info on Forge until Halo Fest or Comic-Con, so we got time.

I expect an undo button and multiple forge maps, not just the one big map that gets boring after five minutes.

I know I’m pushing it but I am expecting or better yet hopeing for a terrian editor of some sort where I am able to customize my own map from the ground up and have different types of biomes like snow or volcanic.

> I expect an undo button and multiple forge maps, not just the one big map that gets boring after five minutes.

One of the most annoying issues with forge world was the impact that the sheer size of the space had on performance. It doesn’t matter if you build a small, 2v2 arena or a massive BTB map. The game still had to load the rest of forge world. Creating a few smaller, more versatile maps (Themed as well) would be much more useful.

If a terrain editor found its way into the toolset, we could be given completely flat levels to play around in. Being able to change the textures on objects would be great as well. Even just having a “Forerunner block 1x1, Covy block 1x1, and UNSC block 1x1” style of palette would be nice. But it’s very important that they don’t limit which types of pieces can be used on each map (assuming the go the multiple, themed route). Like, only UNSC on the jungle map, or only covy on the snow map. That would lead to all maps created on these levels feeling very similar.

I think I heard something about forge from a 343 Industries employee (Not sure where it was) saying that forge will be like creating a tiny little universe…

I’m not sure where it was though.

And I’m also not sure if I heard it right.

Well first of all, let’s not bring back the gigantic Forge World for one. I don’t even think it’s possible without two disks and cut content with the graphics and additions in Halo 4.

So let’s go with Bungie’s original idea for Forge World and expand on it. Four or Five smaller scaled maps (still pretty good size to Forge in) that each have their own unique colored objects and not just boring old grey but more than enough options to be creative.

Not only will this save room on the disk for more game content, performance issues would not as be bad. The problem with Forge Maps is that it just doesn’t load the play space you are in; it loads the entire damn map! This means unused space that isn’t being utilized and that is a real waste.

So when Forge maps pop up in Halo 4, there will be more variety this way and maps will have a chance of standing out more aesthetically. Nothing is more painful to watch a good designed map ruined by the overall grey dullness of the aesthetics and as you know, a look of a map is as memorable as it plays. That’s why we remember classics like Beaver Creek, Lockout, Guardian, Blood Gulch, Valhalla and other maps is because of the aesthetics and map flow come together. In Reach (and on good forged maps), you get the flow, not the aesthetics IMO.

Less is more in terms of scale but Bungie did an amazing job improving Forge UI and adding a ton of cool options like phasing, fine tuning, coordinate adjustments, and i would love to see things like that improved in Halo 4 along with new ideas!

> Well first of all, let’s not bring back the gigantic Forge World for one. I don’t even think it’s possible without two disks and cut content with the graphics and additions in Halo 4.
>
> <mark>So let’s go with Bungie’s original idea for Forge World and expand on it. Four or Five smaller scaled maps (still pretty good size to Forge in) that each have their own unique colored objects and not just boring old grey but more than enough options to be creative.</mark>
>
> Not only will this save room on the disk for more game content, performance issues would not as be bad. The problem with Forge Maps is that it just doesn’t load the play space you are in; it loads the entire damn map! This means unused space that isn’t being utilized and that is a real waste.
>
>
> So when Forge maps pop up in Halo 4, there will be more variety this way and maps will have a chance of standing out more aesthetically. Nothing is more painful to watch a good designed map ruined by the overall grey dullness of the aesthetics and as you know, a look of a map is as memorable as it plays. That’s why we remember classics like Beaver Creek, Lockout, Guardian, Blood Gulch, Valhalla and other maps is because of the aesthetics and map flow come together. In Reach (and on good forged maps), you get the flow, not the aesthetics IMO.
>
>
> Less is more in terms of scale but Bungie did an amazing job improving Forge UI and adding a ton of cool options like phasing, fine tuning, coordinate adjustments, and i would love to see things like that improved in Halo 4 along with new ideas!

THANK YOU. As a forger, foundry and sandbox was more than enough for me… but 4 or 5 different maps I could use? Thats just craziness. We don’t need another forge world, just a few good forging maps.

> > Well first of all, let’s not bring back the gigantic Forge World for one. I don’t even think it’s possible without two disks and cut content with the graphics and additions in Halo 4.
> >
> > <mark>So let’s go with Bungie’s original idea for Forge World and expand on it. Four or Five smaller scaled maps (still pretty good size to Forge in) that each have their own unique colored objects and not just boring old grey but more than enough options to be creative.</mark>
> >
> > Not only will this save room on the disk for more game content, performance issues would not as be bad. The problem with Forge Maps is that it just doesn’t load the play space you are in; it loads the entire damn map! This means unused space that isn’t being utilized and that is a real waste.
> >
> >
> > So when Forge maps pop up in Halo 4, there will be more variety this way and maps will have a chance of standing out more aesthetically. Nothing is more painful to watch a good designed map ruined by the overall grey dullness of the aesthetics and as you know, a look of a map is as memorable as it plays. That’s why we remember classics like Beaver Creek, Lockout, Guardian, Blood Gulch, Valhalla and other maps is because of the aesthetics and map flow come together. In Reach (and on good forged maps), you get the flow, not the aesthetics IMO.
> >
> >
> > Less is more in terms of scale but Bungie did an amazing job improving Forge UI and adding a ton of cool options like phasing, fine tuning, coordinate adjustments, and i would love to see things like that improved in Halo 4 along with new ideas!
>
> THANK YOU. As a forger, foundry and sandbox was more than enough for me… but 4 or 5 different maps I could use? Thats just craziness. We don’t need another forge world, just a few good forging maps.

Sandbox was really three maps in one, bottom, middle, and top. Sure not the most appealing of object colors but it fit theme and was better than grey me thinks.

Foundry was equally crazy and i spent plenty of time (hours and hours thanks to no phasing and fine tuning in Halo 3) playing around and creating sword pits/arena xD. Good times.

While i do applaud Bungie for creating what will most likely be the biggest MP we will see for a long while (how they pulled it off on ancient 360 tech is crazy), i have to say for Halo 4 it just can’t come back with it size. Improved Forge options yes, oh hells yes but on a smaller, more focused scale.

I personally enjoyed the Halo: Reach Forge. I honestly don’t want a terrain editor. I think they should bring back the Forge World from Reach, update it with Halo 4’s graphics and maybe add more objects. Maybe have a color changer on the blocks. It would be cool if they added types of blocks into it. Like forerunner, covenant, and UNSC. Also, I think you should be able to place Pelicans and Phantoms as decorations. What would be really cool is if you could make maps were you could put in NPC’s. Like marines, elites, and prometheans. I would also like more flexibility when creating gametypes to go with the map. Not just having to pick from options they give you. Going back to NPC’s I think you should be able to decide which team they could possibly fight for. I know the things I ask for are REALLY ambitious, but it would be awesome to see the, come true.

It will be cool…

I think they should include a few maps with separate biomes. However, the thing that I want most by far is an undo button!

> > I expect an undo button and multiple forge maps, not just the one big map that gets boring after five minutes.
>
> One of the most annoying issues with forge world was the impact that the sheer size of the space had on performance. It doesn’t matter if you build a small, 2v2 arena or a massive BTB map. The game still had to load the rest of forge world. Creating a few smaller, more versatile maps (Themed as well) would be much more useful.
>
> If a terrain editor found its way into the toolset, we could be given completely flat levels to play around in. Being able to change the textures on objects would be great as well. Even just having a “Forerunner block 1x1, Covy block 1x1, and UNSC block 1x1” style of palette would be nice. But it’s very important that they don’t limit which types of pieces can be used on each map (assuming the go the multiple, themed route). Like, only UNSC on the jungle map, or only covy on the snow map. That would lead to all maps created on these levels feeling very similar.

YES! YES! YES! HALOlujah!

> I personally enjoyed the Halo: Reach Forge. I honestly don’t want a terrain editor. I think they should bring back the Forge World from Reach, update it with Halo 4’s graphics and maybe add more objects. Maybe have a color changer on the blocks. It would be cool if they added types of blocks into it. Like forerunner, covenant, and UNSC. Also, I think you should be able to place Pelicans and Phantoms as decorations. What would be really cool is if you could make maps were you could put in NPC’s. Like marines, elites, and prometheans. I would also like more flexibility when creating gametypes to go with the map. Not just having to pick from options they give you. Going back to NPC’s I think you should be able to decide which team they could possibly fight for. I know the things I ask for are REALLY ambitious, but it would be awesome to see the, come true.

Trust if you saw my wishlist for halo 4 forge you would think I am crazy. Just to give you an idea of how crazy my list is, the first item is a scarrab and the list gets crazier as it goes on.

Even thought they probably won’t do it; I’d love an actual Map Editor…like the one in Far Cry. It was amazing in that game. Not only could you use different kinds of themed building and blocks and such, but you could really make your map stand out JUST from how you created terrain. I remember in FC:Instincts I created a giant volcano and built a map around it. Would love to have that option in my favorite game series :slight_smile: (*Halo)

I hope there weather control as like you can make a map a snow map a forest map are whatever