Halo 4 Weapons: Long vs Short range

I know this is another one of those weapon balancing threads for Halo 4, of which there are many filling the forum pages, but bear with me.

After having put many hours into Halo: Reach multiplayer, I am still highly concerned about the effectiveness of using short-medium range weaponry in a one-on-one CQC encounter up against medium-long range weaponry. For example, When using the Assault Rifle against the DMR in close-quarters, in Reach, the DMR almost always comes out on top (even without a melee). Especially with the variety of updates released, the AR has been repeatedly proved an ineffective weapon in any circumstance. Nowadays a full clip only has an average chance of a fatality.

Fortunately the plasma counterparts of the AR can take down shields very quickly, setting up for a nice melee kill. And back in Halo 3, a close rance AR/BR battle could go either way depending on either players’ skill.

My point is; I hope in Halo 4 there is a well thought-out balance between close-range weaponry - not including, but not limited to, Energy Sword and Shotguns - and long-range so that players have to think more about what weapons they are using in certain environments. Perhaps making weapons such as the AR have better damage drop-off so that it would over-power a BR or DMR at VERY close range? Also meaning you don’t just walk around with your BR/DMR all the time and be set for the game.

I hope this insight has provoked thought for many of you, especially those who have experienced different multiplayer experiences within the franchise. Please feel free to discuss.

I would personally love to see close range weapons get a reasonable damage increase, but massively reduced auto-aim / aim-magnetism. This way, using a cqb weapon would both be a viable choice while also being a skillful aspect of the game.

> I would personally love to see close range weapons get a reasonable damage increase, but massively reduced auto-aim / aim-magnetism. This way, using a cqb weapon would both be a viable choice while also being a skillful aspect of the game.

This guy’s got the right idea.

I didn’t like the people who just spawned with a DMR but instead used the AR and pummel tactic, it’s effective at a range where the 2 spartan models are basically clipping each other, but at the end of the day that usually gets the AR guy killed cause in Halo, it’s never about who shoots first, it’s about who’s more skilled…

I was never a fan of the BR or DMR, I am still a big AR guy. I, and many others would love to see the AR havea fighting chance against DMR’s and BR’s.

If the DMR and BR are so much better than the AR it makes no sense to use the AR.

i dont want increased damage on all cqc weapons. just the non-power automatic weapons. cuz even though i never use the AR or the Plasma Rifle or Plasma Repeater in reach. its kinda pathetic that it takes 2-3 people to take me out with an AR/Plasma Rifle/Plasma Repeater while i am using a DMR