Halo 4: Weapon Characteristics and Specs Suggestion

This is kind of like the “sister” of my other thread, but the purpose of this one is totally different.
This thread’s purpose is to collect data on what weapons should be in the game and how they should be implemented.

Anyone can suggest a weapon and specs as well as make a claim to change such, but must understand the information on proper sandbox balance as I identify in the linked thread below:

Halo 4: Sandbox balance and how it should work

Now its clear to me how they should be implemented, like a weapon-pickup sandbox should be balanced, but this is getting into specifics like Rate of Fire and Kill Times.

I have already made an example to start with and it will eventually develop into a list:

Utilitarian Weapons:
Characteristics:
4sk with a head shot, 7sk without
Hitscan
“Kill barrier” that prevents a shot going past a particular point in range

Magnum - Semi auto
10 round clip
70 spare rounds (80 rounds in total)
2x Scope
CE Pistol Reticule Size
RoF- 2 shots per second
Kill time- (4sk) – (7sk) --seconds

Carbine - 3 round burst
36 round clip
108 spare rounds (144 rounds in total)
2.5 Scope
Halo 3 Covenant Carbine>Reticule size>Halo 3 Battle Rifle
RoF- 1.9 bursts per second
Kill time- (4sk) – (7sk) –

Rifle - Semi auto
12 round clip
48 spare rounds (60 rounds in total)
3x Scope
Halo 3 Battle Rifle>Reticule size>Halo 3 Sniper Rifle
RoF-1.8 shots per second
Kill time- (4sk) – (7sk) –

This is the weapon list that is suggested so far:
Magnum
Rifle
Carbine
Plasma Rifle
Assault Rifle
Rocket Launcher
Spartan Laser
Shotgun
Sniper Rifle
Silenced SMG
Duel SMG’s
Plasma Pistol
Concussion Rifle/Brute Shot
Forerunner Weapon 1
Forerunner Weapon 2
Handheld Grenade Launcher
Reach Grenade Launcher

Reserved

Another seserved.

gernade launcher should be in halo 4 to

> gernade launcher should be in halo 4 to

The Hand Grenade launcher we saw in the trailer, or the one in Reach?

Why do we need a burst rifle? Everyone is just going to end up using that over the spray rifle and then we’re back to the same gameplay as the other Halos.

We’re in a Forerunner shield world. There has to be technology in there that we’ve never seen which means weapons we’ve never used. Lets come up with something different.

> Why do we need a burst rifle? Everyone is just going to end up using that over the spray rifle and then we’re back to the same gameplay as the other Halos.
>
> We’re in a Forerunner shield world. There has to be technology in there that we’ve never seen which means weapons we’ve never used. Lets come up with something different.

Good. Come up with an idea and post it.

I’d like to see a Forerunner energy based weapon where the shots are meant to bounce off of walls.

the one from reach its the most skill based weapon in the game

Another weapon concept I’d like to see is a weapon that can freeze enemies or surfaces areas with ice or something, kinda like the weapon in Mass Effect 2.

Shooting it up close on an enemy would also freeze the user, but bashing a frozen enemy would mean an instant kill. Freezing the floor would cause players to slide and possibly fall off of cliffs.

> the one from reach its the most skill based weapon in the game

Added to the list.

The kill time of your suggested weapons are wrong. For example, the rifle would kill in 2 seconds, since there’s 2/3 of a second between each shot, and the first shot is instant, so there’s 3 spaces in between the 4 shots, and 2/3 x 3 = 2. Also, your kill times are just way too long. Reach’s kill times are too long, the longest of the series, and the DMR kill in around 1.8-1.9 seconds. Ideal kill times for Halo are 1-1.5 seconds.

> The kill time of your suggested weapons are wrong. For example, the rifle would kill in 2 seconds, since there’s 2/3 of a second between each shot, and the first shot is instant, so there’s 3 spaces in between the 4 shots, and 2/3 x 3 = 2. Also, your kill times are just way too long. Reach’s kill times are too long, the longest of the series, and the DMR kill in around 1.8-1.9 seconds. Ideal kill times for Halo are 1-1.5 seconds.

Your math is wrong.
Its 1.5 shots per second, so in two seconds I can fire 3 shots.

> > The kill time of your suggested weapons are wrong. For example, the rifle would kill in 2 seconds, since there’s 2/3 of a second between each shot, and the first shot is instant, so there’s 3 spaces in between the 4 shots, and 2/3 x 3 = 2. Also, your kill times are just way too long. Reach’s kill times are too long, the longest of the series, and the DMR kill in around 1.8-1.9 seconds. Ideal kill times for Halo are 1-1.5 seconds.
>
> As I said that they are subject to change, so if you think kill times should be around 1-1.5 seconds, then I’ll reconfigure it.
>
> Also, your math is wrong.
> Its 1.5 shots per second, so in two seconds I can fire 3 shots.

You’re assuming the first shot takes .67 seconds, but it’s instant, so only the next 3 shots take the .67 s. .67 is the time between shots, not the time per shot, there’s a difference, so there’s 3 spaces between 4 shots, so it’s 3 x .67 = 2.

For example, the semi-auto DMR, if spamming, shoots 2.5 shots per second, or a shot every 0.4 seconds, but it only takes 1.6 seconds to spam 5 shots because the first shot is instant.

> > > The kill time of your suggested weapons are wrong. For example, the rifle would kill in 2 seconds, since there’s 2/3 of a second between each shot, and the first shot is instant, so there’s 3 spaces in between the 4 shots, and 2/3 x 3 = 2. Also, your kill times are just way too long. Reach’s kill times are too long, the longest of the series, and the DMR kill in around 1.8-1.9 seconds. Ideal kill times for Halo are 1-1.5 seconds.
> >
> > As I said that they are subject to change, so if you think kill times should be around 1-1.5 seconds, then I’ll reconfigure it.
> >
> > Also, your math is wrong.
> > Its 1.5 shots per second, so in two seconds I can fire 3 shots.
>
> You’re assuming the first shot takes .67 seconds, but it’s instant, so only the next 3 shots take the .67 s. .67 is the time between shots, not the time per shot, there’s a difference, so there’s 3 spaces between 4 shots, so it’s 3 x .67 = 2.
>
> For example, the semi-auto DMR, if spamming, shoots 2.5 shots per second, or a shot every 0.4 seconds, but it only takes 1.6 seconds to spam 5 shots because the first shot is instant.

okay, I get that.
The Rifle is supposed to be slower than the other utilities, though. Its to balance them out.

> > > > The kill time of your suggested weapons are wrong. For example, the rifle would kill in 2 seconds, since there’s 2/3 of a second between each shot, and the first shot is instant, so there’s 3 spaces in between the 4 shots, and 2/3 x 3 = 2. Also, your kill times are just way too long. Reach’s kill times are too long, the longest of the series, and the DMR kill in around 1.8-1.9 seconds. Ideal kill times for Halo are 1-1.5 seconds.
> > >
> > > As I said that they are subject to change, so if you think kill times should be around 1-1.5 seconds, then I’ll reconfigure it.
> > >
> > > Also, your math is wrong.
> > > Its 1.5 shots per second, so in two seconds I can fire 3 shots.
> >
> > You’re assuming the first shot takes .67 seconds, but it’s instant, so only the next 3 shots take the .67 s. .67 is the time between shots, not the time per shot, there’s a difference, so there’s 3 spaces between 4 shots, so it’s 3 x .67 = 2.
> >
> > For example, the semi-auto DMR, if spamming, shoots 2.5 shots per second, or a shot every 0.4 seconds, but it only takes 1.6 seconds to spam 5 shots because the first shot is instant.
>
> okay, I get that.
> The Rifle is supposed to be slower than the other utilities, though. Its to balance them out.

Ok, but I think CE/H2 like kill times of around 1-1.5 seconds work best for Halo. H2 BR with 1.4 s kill time was perfect. So maybe the rifle should have long range with 1.5 s kill time, pistol with shorter range around 1.2, AR around 1.4.

> > > > > The kill time of your suggested weapons are wrong. For example, the rifle would kill in 2 seconds, since there’s 2/3 of a second between each shot, and the first shot is instant, so there’s 3 spaces in between the 4 shots, and 2/3 x 3 = 2. Also, your kill times are just way too long. Reach’s kill times are too long, the longest of the series, and the DMR kill in around 1.8-1.9 seconds. Ideal kill times for Halo are 1-1.5 seconds.
> > > >
> > > > As I said that they are subject to change, so if you think kill times should be around 1-1.5 seconds, then I’ll reconfigure it.
> > > >
> > > > Also, your math is wrong.
> > > > Its 1.5 shots per second, so in two seconds I can fire 3 shots.
> > >
> > > You’re assuming the first shot takes .67 seconds, but it’s instant, so only the next 3 shots take the .67 s. .67 is the time between shots, not the time per shot, there’s a difference, so there’s 3 spaces between 4 shots, so it’s 3 x .67 = 2.
> > >
> > > For example, the semi-auto DMR, if spamming, shoots 2.5 shots per second, or a shot every 0.4 seconds, but it only takes 1.6 seconds to spam 5 shots because the first shot is instant.
> >
> > okay, I get that.
> > The Rifle is supposed to be slower than the other utilities, though. Its to balance them out.
>
> Ok, but I think CE/H2 like kill times of around 1-1.5 seconds work best for Halo. H2 BR with 1.4 s kill time was perfect. So maybe the rifle should have long range with 1.5 s kill time, pistol with shorter range around 1.2, AR around 1.4.

The AR should be able to outplay a Pistol at short range, while the Pistol headshot would be a shorter kill time. Maintaining the headshot in CQC is more difficult than simply holding down the trigger. So that if one is skilled enough, one can beat a person who is using a niche weapon but only if that skill is there.