Halo 4 Weapon Balance Formula

In Halo, there are 4 main characteristics that distinguish weapons in terms of effectiveness: availability (weapon spawn time, amount on map, ammo amount), damage (kill time), range (self-explanatory), and ease of use (the skill gap of a weapon).
For example, rockets are balanced by low availability. Sniper is balanced by moderately low availability and being very difficult to use effectively.

Now, if we give each weapon a rating of 1-9 (so 5 is the average value) in each category, and add all the categories together, we can get a good measure on how balanced the sandbox is.
So availability (9 being most available with lots of ammo) + damage (9 is insta-kill, 7 is CE pistol kill time of .6 seconds, 5 is H2 BR kill time of 1.4 seconds, 3 is DMR - 1.8-1.9 seconds, 1 is 2+ seconds) + range(9 being sniper range) + ease of use (9 being easiest to use)=weapon rating (45 being most effective).

The Halo 4 sandbox can be balanced accordingly (this is just a sandbox I constructed, balanced using the formula, including Reach weapons, regular weapons, and old fan favorites):

Let’s start with the H4 utility weapon - a rifle somewhat similar to the H2 BR:
8 (availability) + 5 (damage) + 7 (range) + 2 (ease of use) = 22 (weapon rating)
So we have a rifle with a 1.4 second kill time, good range (H2 BR-like), with a very high skill gap.

AR:
8 + 5 + 4 + 5 = 21
This AR has about a 1.4 second kill time, decent range, and is much more difficult to use than the Reach AR. Instead of having random spray, the AR has a tight reticule but damage is greatly reduced over range to compensate. This weapon now actually requires good aim and has slight recoil.

Pistol:
8 + 6 + 5 + 2 = 21
A pistol that deals damage quickly up close (1.2 second kill time), but has range only slightly better than the AR and is as hard as the rifle to use (only a skilled pistol user will beat an AR at close range). Instead of implementing bullet spread to reduce range, bullets just lose damage over range. Extreme recoil when dual wielded. Have fun pimpin’.

Sniper:
3 + 9 + 9 + 1 = 22
Typical sniper, H3-like in difficulty. Let’s hope Jun died on Reach and is never seen again.

Rockets:
1 + 9 + 5 + 7 = 22
Ordinary rockets. No more lock on because the missile pod is coming back baby! (at least I hope so)

Needler:
6 + 6 + 5 + 4 = 21
A more powerful needler that has a larger skill gap than previous needlers.

Shotgun:
3 + 9 + 1 + 8 = 21
Regular shotgun

Plasma Rifle:
6 + 4 + 3 + 7 = 20
Plasma rifle similar to H3.

SMG:
6 + 6 + 2 + 7 = 21
The fan favorite SMG returns, monstrously powerful up close (1.2 second kill time) but has only around 15 foot range to compensate for its ability to shred enemies in under a second when dual wielded. Also has very high recoil. It’s the bullet hose.

Sword:
3 + 9 + 1 + 9 = 22
Slice and dice with the sword. Sword block has been cremated.

Grenade Launcher:
3 + 9 + 6 + 3 = 21
Basic Reach grenade launcher. Pretty please 343.

Missile Pod:
3 + 9 + 6 + 4 = 22
You want it? It’s your my friend.

Plasma Launcher:
3 + 9 + 6 + 4 = 22
Plasma Launcher returns to its Reach Beta state. More difficult to use, but master it and it’s the best power weapon.

Spartan Laser:
2 + 9 + 9 + 3 = 23
IMA FIRIN’ MAH LAZOR!

Plasma pistol:
5 + 6 + 5 + 6 = 22
The green gun returns in all its glowing beauty.

Frag:
6 + 7 + 4 + 4 = 21
H2/3-like frags. None of this mini nuke garbage.

Stickies:
5 + 9 + 4 + 3 = 21
Embarrass your enemies.

reserved

reserved times 2

Works for me. I like how your version of the AR can actually serve as a set of training wheels, rather than a permanent crutch. It’s shame how much bullet magnetism they put on the Ar in Reach, it might as well not have the bloom crosshaires.

Sorry if I broke your reserves.

The fact that those end numbers are different and do not translate into any form of understandable balance makes me question what you’re trying to achieve with them.

> The fact that those end numbers are different and do not translate into any form of understandable balance makes me question what you’re trying to achieve with them.

Well as you can see pretty much every weapon is between 21-23, meaning that this set of weapons is fairly balanced, according to the formula. It’s not an exact formula, or supposed to be official, it’s just meant to put basis behing the word ‘balance’. I just wanted to show what, IMO, would be a good layout of the H4 sandbox.

Your numbers are so subjective that they come off as meaningless.

Like Methew said, the subjectivity of your numbering system renders it pointless. I do like the concept of a useful AR.