Halo 4 vehicles and other Halo vehicles

I never used vehicles (other than the Ghost) in other Halo games until Halo 4. But, now I do have some ability to make a tiny comparison. I played about 2 hours on Halo 3 the other day and just got off a few games of Halo Reach, for the first time since early 2012.

On Halo 3 I got to drive the LAAG a couple of times and now understand why so many complain about the Halo 4 version of it. The second time behind the wheel I drove a gunner to 18 kills; that is 10 more than I have ever been able to drive someone to back on Halo 4. The vehicle, from a drivers perspective, did seem stronger, that is,harder for ground troops etc to take out. Not having PP & PGs to contend with makes a huge difference too.

Today, I played three games on Halo Reach for the first time since early 2012. It was the first time ever I used vehicles other than a Ghost and taht is after 14000 Halo Reach games! The first two I had use of the Ghost and LAAG. Nothing much to report other than to say the Ghost could be taken out, it seemed to me at least, just as easily as the Halo 4 counterpart, even without the PP & PGs. As for the LAAG, I couldn’t till the difference with the Halo 4 LAAG as far as being a driver goes.

My third and final game, we played Heavies (my first time). I drove the Wraith, Reverent, Banshee and Pelicans all in that one game (and all for the first time). I can’t really report on whether they are really any good or not. But, I enjoyed the variety!

Towards the end of that game, I was running along and discovered that the Gauss Hog existed in Halo Reach! Some dude was sitting on the back waiting to be driven. I jumped in and drove…44 kills latter and my first Hog Road Rage in Halo Reach as well as the Gunner getting his/her Unfriggenbelivable, the first I have driven someone to on Reach, on the account I’ve never driven until today anything other than the Ghost, was a pleasant surprise. I wasted 14000 games on Halo Reach! Oh why didn’t I venture near vehicles during that time!

Now, I think that the first Unfriggenbelivable drive on Halo Reach is far better than any of my 8 on Halo 4, on the account of the need to dodge several Wraiths, avoid Falcons, contend with several Ghosts, Hogs and assorted foot soldiers…how on Earth he got to 44 kills in the last four or five minutes of the game against all that is beyond me but, we did and we weren’t destroyed or killed either! The gunner ended with 80 kills!

Can anyone tell me whether or not that the above result is based on the Hogs being stronger in health terms or, simply because there are no PP & PGs to contend with? For those who have had experience with vehicles in both games, what are the differences? I can say that I enjoyed driving the Hog but can’t tell which is really better.

I saved the film BTW. I didn’t even know you could save films in Halo Reach…and I’d played 14000 games LMAO! Even so, I’ll stick to Halo 4 and won’t take up a driving career in Halo Reach, although, it is honestly appealing to do so.

Any ho, got to drive people to Unfriggenbelivable’s in two Halo games now!

1 Like

i am not sure if the health on vehicles has been nerfed but the absent of PP and PG really make vehicle shine, as they should in BTB

> i am not sure if the health on vehicles has been nerfed but the absent of PP and PG really make vehicle shine, as they should in BTB

I am amazed at the variety in Halo Reach and, Halo 3 the other day too,for that matter, ie Brute Choppers or something i think in Halo 3. Halo 4, I can now say, after the limited experience the past couple of days, is very underwhelming in terms of vehicles and vehicle play!

I really miss the Revenant. :frowning: Loved that vehicle.

> My third and final game, we played Heavies (my first time). I drove the Wraith, Reverent, Banshee and <mark>Pelicans</mark> all in that one game (and all for the first time). I can’t really report on whether they are really any good or not. But, I enjoyed the variety!

What?

In response to your question OP, I can tell you what I know about the vehicles from H3 to H4. Something that wasn’t apparent to me at first, until I played some hog derby in customs, was that the H4 hog behaves VERY differently. Pinning another Warthog in H4 is insanely difficult, they can always drive to the side and your pushing on them does next to nothing. Also, crashing head on into another Hog can set your Hog on fire very quickly in H4; In Halo 3 the most you could do was dent each other.

DMR and Infantry weapons tear vehicles apart in Reach and 4, while also having a chance to flip things like the Hog over after sustained fire. That is just crazy, the physics behind that are completely nonexistent and annoy me. I really don’t know how strong the Halo 4 Warthog is compared to Reach and compared to 3. For all I know the health could be the same and the weapons can now do super damage, but that seems unlikely. What I do know is that in Halo 3 it’s faster to shoot the driver to stop a Hog, In Halo 4 just spamming bullets at the Hog works faster.

There could be more, and I’m sure there is, but I’m tired.

> I really miss the Revenant. :frowning: Loved that vehicle.

In that one game, I jumped in it twice. I liked how you could have a passenger get in too! I’m guessing it would be the next vehicle above the Ghost in covi vehicles?

> > I really miss the Revenant. :frowning: Loved that vehicle.
>
> In that one game, I jumped in it twice. I liked how you could have a passenger get in too! I’m guessing it would be the next vehicle above the Ghost in covi vehicles?

First we had the Spectre, then the Prowler, then the Revenant, now we have nothing. Well, 343 did make a Revenant/Spectre hybrid but they didn’t use it for unknown reasons. Probably time constraints. Might be the same reason for lack of Custom games and air vehicles/new vehicles.

> > My third and final game, we played Heavies (my first time). I drove the Wraith, Reverent, Banshee and <mark>Pelicans</mark> all in that one game (and all for the first time). I can’t really report on whether they are really any good or not. But, I enjoyed the variety!
>
> What?
>
> In response to your question OP, I can tell you what I know about the vehicles from H3 to H4. Something that wasn’t apparent to me at first, until I played some hog derby in customs, was that the H4 hog behaves VERY differently. Pinning another Warthog in H4 is insanely difficult, they can always drive to the side and your pushing on them does next to nothing. Also, crashing head on into another Hog can set your Hog on fire very quickly in H4; In Halo 3 the most you could do was dent each other.
>
> DMR and Infantry weapons tear vehicles apart in Reach and 4, while also having a chance to flip things like the Hog over after sustained fire. That is just crazy, the physics behind that are completely nonexistent and annoy me. I really don’t know how strong the Halo 4 Warthog is compared to Reach and compared to 3. For all I know the health could be the same and the weapons can now do super damage, but that seems unlikely. What I do know is that in Halo 3 it’s faster to shoot the driver to stop a Hog, In Halo 4 just spamming bullets at the Hog works faster.
>
> There could be more, and I’m sure there is, but I’m tired.

Thanks for that! :slight_smile:

Pelican…not sure of my vehicles,Like I said. It was a helicopter thing on Halo Reach…a driver and I think two others could get in it to use machine gun turrets. Sorry if I’ve mixed vehicles up.

Vehicle noob here! Well, not on Halo 4 :slight_smile:

> > > I really miss the Revenant. :frowning: Loved that vehicle.
> >
> > In that one game, I jumped in it twice. I liked how you could have a passenger get in too! I’m guessing it would be the next vehicle above the Ghost in covi vehicles?
>
> First we had the <mark>Spectre, then the Prowler, then the Revenant</mark>, now we have nothing. Well, 343 did make a Revenant/Spectre hybrid but they didn’t use it for unknown reasons. Probably time constraints. Might be the same reason for lack of Custom games and air vehicles/new vehicles.

Were they similar in some way? Which do you consider the best of the three?

> > > > I really miss the Revenant. :frowning: Loved that vehicle.
> > >
> > > In that one game, I jumped in it twice. I liked how you could have a passenger get in too! I’m guessing it would be the next vehicle above the Ghost in covi vehicles?
> >
> > First we had the <mark>Spectre, then the Prowler, then the Revenant</mark>, now we have nothing. Well, 343 did make a Revenant/Spectre hybrid but they didn’t use it for unknown reasons. Probably time constraints. Might be the same reason for lack of Custom games and air vehicles/new vehicles.
>
> Were they similar in some way? Which do you consider the best of the three?

Wow, when you said you didn’t use vehicles you meant you DIDN’T use vehicles, did you?

Spectre
Prowler

Each had a water cannon turret and allowed you to carry two side passengers. It is referred to as a water cannon because it normally did as much damage as water. Using it against infantry was viable other vehicles near suicidal, the passengers played a pivotal role especially when they had a power weapon.

The Revenant was neat and a nice change b/c those two vehicles had been really underused. My guess is 343’s design intended for the turret to be better and the vehicle to drive as smooth as the Revenant. Shame it didn’t make the cut.

My favorite would have to be the Revenant because I used it the most. Prowler was used in Customs and for flag runs, but other than that it didn’t fair well. I can’t speak much on behalf of the Spectre, never really got to use it in the few matches I played of Halo 2.

> > > > > I really miss the Revenant. :frowning: Loved that vehicle.
> > > >
> > > > In that one game, I jumped in it twice. I liked how you could have a passenger get in too! I’m guessing it would be the next vehicle above the Ghost in covi vehicles?
> > >
> > > First we had the <mark>Spectre, then the Prowler, then the Revenant</mark>, now we have nothing. Well, 343 did make a Revenant/Spectre hybrid but they didn’t use it for unknown reasons. Probably time constraints. Might be the same reason for lack of Custom games and air vehicles/new vehicles.
> >
> > Were they similar in some way? Which do you consider the best of the three?
>
> Wow, when you said you didn’t use vehicles you meant you DIDN’T use vehicles, did you?
>
> Spectre
> Prowler
>
> Each had a water cannon turret and allowed you to carry two side passengers. It is referred to as a water cannon because it normally did as much damage as water. Using it against infantry was viable other vehicles near suicidal, the passengers played a pivotal role especially when they had a power weapon.
>
> The Revenant was neat and a nice change b/c those two vehicles had been really underused. My guess is 343’s design intended for the turret to be better and the vehicle to drive as smooth as the Revenant. Shame it didn’t make the cut.
>
> My favorite would have to be the Revenant because I used it the most. Prowler was used in Customs and for flag runs, but other than that it didn’t fair well. I can’t speak much on behalf of the Spectre, never really got to use it in the few matches I played of Halo 2.

Those would have been great!

For me I started out with Halo Reach on its launch day. I was horrible at Reach. I avoided for the most part pick up weapons on the maps because I felt like I was so bad I didn’t have a right to touch them LOL. Same went with the vehicles; I avoided them because I simply didn’t know how to use them and didn’t want to be a hindrance to whatever side I was on.

By the time April 2011 came around, I got to play the Halo CE, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST campaigns for the first time. I then played a few days of Halo 3 MM before returning to Halo Reach. Halo 4 was the first game were I actually took an interest in vehicles and, I have loved doing so, especially as a driver.

Many threads on these forums have been about vehicles and the difference between Halo 4 vehicles and those in past Halo games. Having only used Halo 4 vehicles, other than the Halo Reach Ghost, I could not believe how many people were actually calling for stronger vehicles in Halo 4; they made comparisons between the games and I just could not understand how they weren’t doing well with the Halo 4 vehicles.

I couldn’t understand as I had:

5500 Wheelmans;
Drivem 8 people to Unfriggenbelivables (Gauss Hog; highest being 67 kills);
as well as having decent long killing sprees of my own in all Halo 4 vehicles (other than the Mongoose!).

I found the Halo 4 vehicles to be fine yet, many wanted stronger vehicles. So, that is why I went off to Halo 3 and Halo Reach this week to try vehicles out

Yes, they are better.

PP and PG really does have a very big impact on vehicles in Halo 4,although,personally,as a driver and vehicle user, I don’t have a problem and quite used to them being in the game.But,I can understand why others feel differently due to their previous vehicle experience in other Halo games which didn’t have to contend with such. For me, though, I knew different and that is what I learned to drive vehicles and contend with…for me it was normal, hence, not an issue! Which still makes me wonder why people have such a problem in that one can stil, do well driving any vehicle and using any vehicle, except that is, for the LAAG, which I can now say I have experience with different versions. The Halo 4 version is underwhelming. Fortunately, though, 343i have stated a buff for the LAAG is on its way.

The campaign just begs for a falcon or four person air vehicle