Halo 4 Theory

Did any of you read Cryptum?

Remember the Precuser prisoner that was the “final Precuser”?

At the end, he joined the flood.

Could he be the future Gravemind from Halo 2 and Halo 3?

The Gravemind says these two sentences: “Child of my enemy, why have you come? I offer no forgiveness, a Father’s sins, passed to his Son.” and “I am a monument to all your sins.”

The first refers to the humans as the Reclaimers of the mantle, but more than that, it refers to the fact that the Forerunners (the Father) killed all the Precusers to the brink of extinction (he is the last remnant) and that is of course the sin of the Father. The Gravemind blames humanity for exterminating his kind.

The second sentence again, refers to what the first did.

I remember the Gravemind saying something about how he and master chief are the same, the last of their kind (Master Chief is the last Spartan II and the Gravemind is the last Precuser), but I cannot quote it.

Now, I know the Gravemind is supposedly dead, but he survived the explosion of High Charity, so… You know…

If my theory is correct, then this could open multiple arcs of story line for the upcoming Halo 4. As we know, we will be fighting “an ancient evil that threatens the fate of the entire universe”. I have a feeling that this “ancient evil” will be either the flood, or the Precusers.

In the trailer for Halo 4 we see the Legendary Planet. To me it seems different than any regular forerunner structures but still extremely similar. Could the Planet be Precuser of origin? Is it just forerunner?

On another subject… The planet reacted to the arrival of the “Forward Unto Dawn” by opening some sort of structure on the planets surface which emanated a blue light. What the hell was that?! Could the Planet not be a planet at all? Could this Planet actually be a Precuser/Forerunner ship of some kind? Could it be opening to let the Dawn, or more importantly, the Cheef in? That would definitely explain why the “Planet” is completely electronic, unlike any other Forerunner made planents which tend to have a more natural surface (referring to Shield Worlds, Halos and the Ark).

TLDR: The Legendary Planet is actually a Precuser ship and the Gravemind is the Precuser prisoner from Halo: Cryptum.

Edit 1: The Gravemind’s conscience may still be alive as there are definitely more flood in the universe. Maybe the next trilogy will explore the returning Gravemind’s past as a precuser.

Edit 2: Please comment on flaws in cannon, we may have found something.

Well,I suppose that mabye the Last precursor could have ended up being the Gravemind,seeing as if they were a higher tier than the Forerunners,mabye they were capable of transmitting their conciousness into new bodies should they be destroyed. My theory on this is stemming from the ability that the Gravemind is aware of it’s former selves

(Source: Halo Nation)- It appears each Gravemind also retains the memories and knowledge of previous Graveminds.This has made the Gravemind virtually omniscient, and ensures that should the Gravemind be destroyed, its consciousness will never truly die as long as some flood forms are left.

Also, By the end of the game, the Gravemind gives a short monologue in a disheartened tone, cryptically admitting that he knows he can do nothing to stop his fate, which he believes was unjustly forced upon him. He says that the activation of Installation 04B will only add time "to a sentence [he] never deserve[d]".

didnt the halo 3 manual say the first gravemind was killed when the rings were fired? can somebosy please check?

> didnt the halo 3 manual say the first gravemind was killed when the rings were fired? can somebosy please check?

Killed in the first and only firing of the Halo rings to wipe the Flood from the Galaxy. However,since it’s speculated that the Flood came from another Galaxy,the Gravemind’s conciousness remained intact. It just needed corpses to build itself a new body.

The Graveminds’ conscience is retained as long as flood forms remain alive, and there are still many flood in the Halo installations for testing matters. This could mean that the Gravemind’s conscience may return for Halo 4, just in another body!

> The Graveminds’ conscience is retained as long as flood forms remain alive, and there are still many flood in the Halo installations for testing matters. This could mean that the Gravemind’s conscience may return for Halo 4, just in another body!

Exactly. But I’d say the Flood would be perhaps a minor antagonist for Halo 4. The Gravemind’s current body was destroyed during the events at The Ark,the body at that time was enormous,the tentacles could stretch out for miles.So unless millions of bodies can be provided to the Conciousness I doubt we’ll hear from the Gravemind for the time being.

Obviously, the Flood can never be a main enemy in the game. It doesn’t make sense gameplay-wise and, after all, this IS a game. I am betting on the flood returning as an enemy, the Precusers or the Forerunners (unlikely) as the main enemy and the covenant returning as an ally (so we will see some of our favorite weapons and vehicles back in the game). This is just me though.

Wow, I have a good feeling about my theory.

Well, the forerunners also hunted the flood to near extinction too.

Theories will be theories. Until proven fact. :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah your theory does sound pretty solid. Because during the book there was no given date for when Didact contacted the captured Precursor. Which means Didact could have met the Precursor before the events of the Forerunner-Flood war. The precursor could then have discovered the presence of the Flood through telepathy. Therefore it then killed it’s own body and transferred its conciousness into a Flood form and brought the Flood to the galaxy. Then it built itself a formidable body from the corpses of victims of the Flood,gaining their knowlegde,this knowledge was perhaps how it managed to deceive Mendicant Bias,claiming that the Flood was the next step in evolution. Also,The Gravemind is capable of predicting some events of the future and is also mostly correct all of the time,therefore increasing my theory that It was telepathic.

> Well, the forerunners also hunted the flood to near extinction too.

Actually,the Forerunners were losing the war. They activated the Halos as a last resort,to prevent the Flood from taking over the galaxy by “starving” the Flood from it’s food source,denying it’s spread to other planets.

> > Well, the forerunners also hunted the flood to near extinction too.
>
> Actually,the Forerunners were losing the war. They activated the Halos as a last resort,to prevent the Flood from taking over the galaxy by “starving” the Flood from it’s food source,denying it’s spread to other planets.

So, they hunted the flood to near extinction, but at the cost of their own lives and the continuity of their race (supposedly).

Also,it’s heavily hinted that the Precursors created The Flood.

Source: Halo Nation

being theoretical “Transsentient” beings, having the ability to travel among galaxies and accelerate the evolution of intelligent life. The Precursors achieved a higher level technological advancement than the Forerunners, being Tier-0, or Transsentience on the Forerunners’ Technological Achievement Scale.-Backs up my theory that the last precursor was capable of transmitting it’s existence into a Flood form in another galaxy.

It is also revealed that this prisoner is the last known Precursor, and that every other Precursor had been ruthlessly killed in a Forerunner-Precursor war almost 150,000 years before the events of Halo and that their answer is at hand - implying that a Proto-Flood form (described as a fine dust, contained in hundreds of glass cylinders) were created as revenge or as a failsafe.

> > > Well, the forerunners also hunted the flood to near extinction too.
> >
> > Actually,the Forerunners were losing the war. They activated the Halos as a last resort,to prevent the Flood from taking over the galaxy by “starving” the Flood from it’s food source,denying it’s spread to other planets.
>
> So, they hunted the flood to near extinction, but at the cost of their own lives and the continuity of their race (supposedly).

Actually,as a continuinty of their beleif of The Mantle. A beleif that life in the galaxy should continue and be protected from being wiped out. The Forerunners,before activating the Halo array,gathered thousands of samples of species of animals,plants and racesfrom diffirent worlds,these were then stored safely on The Ark while the Halo array fired. Automated ships were then sent out from the Ark to repopulate the planets of the species origins once the threat of the Flood had been dealt with.

I assumed there would be more than me and a couple of people posting O_o. The Last Precursor ending up being the Gravemind is actually a fairly solid theory in my opinion and very discussionable.

*dicussable

I agree, my Gravemind theory is more than solid. What do you think about the Legendary Planet theory? Did you find any holes in the cannon?

Ledgendary Planet theory seems off. During the Halo:Legends episode Origins , Cortana is showing signs of dropping into rampancy more often,such as making a human sized avatar of herself to try and contact John,even trying to touch his cryo-tube. She is also talking to herself,explaining the origin for the Forerunner-Flood war. That pretty much puts it that they have been stranded in space for a decently long time.

I don’t see how flashing lights= rampancy

The Prisoner of Charum Hakkor isn’t neccarily the last of the precursors. The Didact and his warriors came up with other possibilities such as it being a construct made by the Precursors but they didn’t commit to the theory that it was indeed the last Precursor. The only one who said it was a Precursor was the thing itself. If this thing was created by the Precursors then you get what he means by “I am the monument to all your sins”. He could have been an experiment gone horribly wrong. And you have to wonder why it had been locked up to begin with.

The thing had been locked up with Precursor technology which could have meant it was locked up by the Precursors. If it is indeed the Gravemind then you can understand the quote “Child of my Enemy” better. Humans are not Children of the Forerunner. We are in fact equal to the Forerunner as it is theorized by the Librarian that we were both created by the Precursors and we are genetically the same. There is also the fact that the Humans fought the Flood before the Forerunner did which means we are an older and more formidable enemy, (since we defeated the Flood without killing all sentient life), than the Forerunner and he would not refer to us as “Child of his Enemy” in regards to the Forerunner.

That’s a good observation,but didn’t the Precursors also develop the first of the Flood Spores? Also,the Forerunner-Precursor war happened 150000 years before the events of Halo,while the Forerunner-Flood war happened around 100000 years ago-Exact date it started was 98,379 years ago before the events of Halo.

Your statement of that the Human’s were an older race can’t make sense,as, 10,000 years before the events of the book, the Human-Forerunner war happened and the humans were utterly decimated and sent back to their planet of origin,not before being divided into many subspecies to prevent them from becoming as powerful as they were again.

The Human-Forerunner war therefore happened in 108,379 years before Halo,now if you take that from the when the Forerunner-Precursor war you get it out as 41,621 years before that. The Forerunners are shown to have been around longer as not only did they decimate the precursors,they have been around at least 41000 years before the events of the Human-Forerunner war.

In the meantime between then,the Humans encountered the Flood,and managed to defeat the Flood in their section of the Galaxy,so they had the ability to defeat the Flood even before the Foreunners knew how to. But when the Humans went to war with the Forerunners,their punishment cost them probably the most safest way to defeat the Flood. The Forerunners didn’t encounter the Flood until 10,000 after those events,so they were unware of methods to extinguish them,and assumed that the Halo was the only way to defeat the Flood.

However,if Humans encountered the Flood before the Forerunners did,doesn’t that mean the Precursors had possibly developed the Flood as “Insurance” Against the warring Forerunners as a failsafe should they be defeated. The creature held called itself the last Precursor in Cryptum,and already explained that their [The Flood] time was at hand. Possibly experiments with the Flood happened before the events of the Foreunner-Precursor war,and that creature was probably the scientist who created the Spores. And,doesn’t the Gravemind beleive that the Flood is the next step in evolution? The beleif is that the Precursors are capable of advancing a speceis’ evolution at an incredible speed. Perhaps they assumed that The Flood was the next step in their evolution,therefore,also the rest of the Galaxy’s?

Forerunner-Flood war
98379 years before Halo.

Human-Forerunner war
98379 + 10000 = 108379 years before Halo.

Forerunner-Precursor war
150000 - 108379 = 41,621 Years before Human-Forerunner war.

Wow,sorta getting off topic here lol…Seeming more like a fictional theory revolving the Precursors and The Flood more than a theory for Halo 4 xD