Halo 4 Terminal, Japanese Elites?

In the new terminal trailer, it shows a little more backstory to the Storm, even as much as bringing in 'Mdama from the Glasslands-Thursday War saga. Very good trailer. But, the Elites sound like they are speaking Japanese. Now, I realize the Sangheili are based on Japanese culture, what with honor and such, but this doesn’t sound like the language we’ve heard a bit of throughout the series. Granted, we haven’t heard much, but I think this, Japanese hybrid is kind of awkward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wlfxpd9uQs&list=PL65DF39CD842430DA&index=6&feature=plcp

The Japanese-styled dialect is bizarre and feels out of place to me, too, especially with Human names for stuff interspersed. Sangheili don’t use our terms often amongst one another. I think we only called Halo the same thing because the Forerunners labelled it such.

Seems unfitting that they have a new language altogether. I know it’s for a darker tone, but we’ve had them translated since Halo 2.

I didn’t really mind.

> The Japanese-styled dialect is bizarre and feels out of place to me, too, especially with Human names for stuff interspersed. Sangheili don’t use our terms often amongst one another. I think we only called Halo the same thing because the Forerunners labelled it such.

Well, granted these Elites are mostly from a colony separate from their homeworld. They may have a different language. But, it’s to Japanese-y

Hey dude, don’t be so racist. Maybe they just sound like that because they come from a different country from their home planet that we haven’t met in Halo before.

That’s the problem with sci-fi. They really treat races as a planet thing.

> Hey dude, don’t be so racist. Maybe they just sound like that because they come from a different country from their home planet that we haven’t met in Halo before.
>
> That’s the problem with sci-fi. They really treat races as a planet thing.

I really hope you are trolling. Don’t take my opinion as being racist, I have nothing against any race. I think Japanese people are awesome. It just doesn’t belong on Elites.

Oh good, I’m not the only one who thought they sounded Japanese.

Yeah, that does bother me slightly, but their use of English words (Forerunner, Requiem) just drives me up the -Yoinking!- wall.

Being Japanese, there accents really sounds like Japanese lol… we have asian Elites now?

> > The Japanese-styled dialect is bizarre and feels out of place to me, too, especially with Human names for stuff interspersed. Sangheili don’t use our terms often amongst one another. I think we only called Halo the same thing because the Forerunners labelled it such.
>
> Well, granted these Elites are mostly from a colony separate from their homeworld. They may have a different language. But, it’s to Japanese-y

Their entire society is modeled after Asian culture, more to the point, Japanese culture.

Even their architecture is every Japanese inspired.

That being the case, how does an Asian-esque dialect seem off base?

uhm…why do they use words like Requiem and Forerunners?

is there no translation in Sangheili tongue

Wouldn’t they say Hay-ro for Halo?

This concerns me.

> Wouldn’t they say Hay-ro for Halo?
>
> This concerns me.

It’s not Japanese…just Asian-esque.

> > > The Japanese-styled dialect is bizarre and feels out of place to me, too, especially with Human names for stuff interspersed. Sangheili don’t use our terms often amongst one another. I think we only called Halo the same thing because the Forerunners labelled it such.
> >
> > Well, granted these Elites are mostly from a colony separate from their homeworld. They may have a different language. But, it’s to Japanese-y
>
> Their entire society is modeled after Asian culture, more to the point, Japanese culture.
>
> Even their architecture is every Japanese inspired.
>
> That being the case, how does an Asian-esque dialect seem off base?

Their culture, but not their previous language. It’s out of place and doesn’t sound alien. It doesn’t belong, and I hope that they don’t sound like that in game.

I wonder what those covies are looking for and what don’t they want us to find.

> > > The Japanese-styled dialect is bizarre and feels out of place to me, too, especially with Human names for stuff interspersed. Sangheili don’t use our terms often amongst one another. I think we only called Halo the same thing because the Forerunners labelled it such.
> >
> > Well, granted these Elites are mostly from a colony separate from their homeworld. They may have a different language. But, it’s to Japanese-y
>
> Their entire society is modeled after Asian culture, more to the point, Japanese culture.
>
> Even their architecture is every Japanese inspired.
>
> That being the case, how does an Asian-esque dialect seem off base?

A lot of their culture was actually based on Greek culture, specifically, Spartan culture. It’s kind of joke, all things considered. However, this is no doubt about some Japanese influences and parallels.

Anyway, I’m really hoping the Elites speaking Japanese is just a fluke (perhaps the wrong video was posted?). We got to see a unique alien language in Halo Reach, I’d much rather see more of that.

> > > > The Japanese-styled dialect is bizarre and feels out of place to me, too, especially with Human names for stuff interspersed. Sangheili don’t use our terms often amongst one another. I think we only called Halo the same thing because the Forerunners labelled it such.
> > >
> > > Well, granted these Elites are mostly from a colony separate from their homeworld. They may have a different language. But, it’s to Japanese-y
> >
> > Their entire society is modeled after Asian culture, more to the point, Japanese culture.
> >
> > Even their architecture is every Japanese inspired.
> >
> > That being the case, how does an Asian-esque dialect seem off base?
>
> A lot of their culture was actually based on Greek culture, specifically, Spartan culture. It’s kind of joke, all things considered. However, this is no doubt about some Japanese influences and parallels.
>
> Anyway, I’m really hoping the Elites speaking Japanese is just a fluke (perhaps the wrong video was posted?). We got to see a unique alien language in Halo Reach, I’d much rather see more of that.

I have no problems with Reach’s language, but I preferred how it was in Halo 2 and 3. They had the technology to translate the Elite language, and I loved the different things they would say to you.

> > > > The Japanese-styled dialect is bizarre and feels out of place to me, too, especially with Human names for stuff interspersed. Sangheili don’t use our terms often amongst one another. I think we only called Halo the same thing because the Forerunners labelled it such.
> > >
> > > Well, granted these Elites are mostly from a colony separate from their homeworld. They may have a different language. But, it’s to Japanese-y
> >
> > Their entire society is modeled after Asian culture, more to the point, Japanese culture.
> >
> > Even their architecture is every Japanese inspired.
> >
> > That being the case, how does an Asian-esque dialect seem off base?
>
> Their culture, but not their previous language. It’s out of place and doesn’t sound alien. It doesn’t belong, and I hope that they don’t sound like that in game.

For all we know the language they spoke prior is the general adopted tongue of all those who join the covenant.

Much like Galactic Basic in Star Wars, it is a common language most speak, but NOT their native language.

This is supported by the fact that the Covenant, you know, communicate. They all speak a common language from that alone when communicating. The books also support this in sections detailing elites and saying something to the nature of "Grunts in the corner speaking amongst themselves in their unintelligible language. "

> Their culture, but not their previous language. It’s out of place and doesn’t sound alien. It doesn’t belong, and I hope that they don’t sound like that in game.

Well, it is an in-game terminal. So I’m sure it’ll be sprinkled in there somewhere. I, personally, think it sounds far more fitting than the previous language given the inspirations for their culture. Change is good when it makes more sense in-context.

> This is supported by the fact that the Covenant, you know, communicate. They all speak a common language from that alone when communicating. The books also support this in sections detailing elites and saying something to the nature of "Grunts in the corner speaking amongst themselves in their unintelligible language.

And this would be your answer.

> > > > > The Japanese-styled dialect is bizarre and feels out of place to me, too, especially with Human names for stuff interspersed. Sangheili don’t use our terms often amongst one another. I think we only called Halo the same thing because the Forerunners labelled it such.
> > > >
> > > > Well, granted these Elites are mostly from a colony separate from their homeworld. They may have a different language. But, it’s to Japanese-y
> > >
> > > Their entire society is modeled after Asian culture, more to the point, Japanese culture.
> > >
> > > Even their architecture is every Japanese inspired.
> > >
> > > That being the case, how does an Asian-esque dialect seem off base?
> >
> > A lot of their culture was actually based on Greek culture, specifically, Spartan culture. It’s kind of joke, all things considered. However, this is no doubt about some Japanese influences and parallels.
> >
> > Anyway, I’m really hoping the Elites speaking Japanese is just a fluke (perhaps the wrong video was posted?). We got to see a unique alien language in Halo Reach, I’d much rather see more of that.
>
> I have no problems with Reach’s language, but I preferred how it was in Halo 2 and 3. They had the technology to translate the Elite language, and I loved the different things they would say to you.

I don’t disagree, but I’m saying that if the Elites are going speak in their native tongue, use the dialogue from Reach as a jumping board.