Halo 4 shipped with 2 discs.

Yet it feels like we got lesser content than Reach. Anyone feel the same way?

How right you are. It’s not just a feeling it’s the truth.

I know what you mean but if microsoft had blue-ray technology available there wouldn’t be more than one disc in most cases. Bf 3 also had 2 discs.

Just to compare the overall content between Halo: Reach and Halo 4

Halo: Reach had a campaign, firefight, theater, forge, and 3 DLC map packs.

Halo 4 has a campaign, spartan ops, theater, forge, and so far 3 DLC map packs.

Note: I understand were specifically referring to how much content per disc: It could very well be the graphics, it could be anything.

don’t worry.

Halo 5 will ship in no discs :wink:

It could also be all the pre-rendered cutscenes the game has as well. All of the previous Halo games used in-engine cutscenes which creates the videos on the fly, but this one actually has full video files. They can get quite large, even with compression.

The campaign, spartan ops (many) and war games have several different places.

I’m pretty sure it’s the War Games maps, as my friend got Halo 4, but didn’t download disk 2. He then couldn’t play in any War Games matches until we told him to download disk 2. It worked fine after he did this.

> It could also be all the pre-rendered cutscenes the game has as well. All of the previous Halo games used in-engine cutscenes which creates the videos on the fly, but this one actually has full video files. They can get quite large, even with compression.

As beautiful as they are, I would have preferred they didn’t sacrifice other content.

Every now and again I still pop in my Reach disc because I miss the full customization options of FireFight. I really felt that those were the beginnings of a campaign editor (I’d love to tell my own Halo stories through user made games, or shake it up and try to imitate another story setting with one).

Then Halo 4 threw that away… I’m hoping to see a return in another title.

They’ve should’ve just put the Campaign on one disc and multiplayer on the other, not some download.

> > It could also be all the pre-rendered cutscenes the game has as well. All of the previous Halo games used in-engine cutscenes which creates the videos on the fly, but this one actually has full video files. They can get quite large, even with compression.
>
> As beautiful as they are, I would have preferred they didn’t sacrifice other content.

As someone else already pointed out, Halo 4 has pretty much the same amount of features as Reach. Obviously, Spartan Ops replaces Firefight. I was simply stating a possible reason for why the game is on 2 discs, not that the videos somehow caused them to omit features.

Graphics and pre-rendered vids take up a lot more space than some scripting, option menus, and some coordinate data for said graphics.

Lack of options has very, very little to do with file size on disc.

> Graphics and pre-rendered vids take up a lot more space than some scripting, option menus, and some coordinate data for said graphics.
>
> Lack of options has very, very little to do with file size on disc.

This. All of the previous entries in the series used scripted cutscenes. This game uses pre-rendered cutscenes, which take considerably more space on-disc.

As far as content other than the pre-rendered video, I would assume Halo 4 could easily fit on a single disc and that Reach had more content.

> They’ve should’ve just put the Campaign on one disc and multiplayer on the other, not some download.

I think the best way to go would have been a hybrid of your idea and what they have now. For those with a 4Gb Xbox 360 Slim, or an older console with less space on it, there should have been the option to just play multiplayer off of the second disc. However, for those with enough space, being able to install the second disc and play off of Disc 1 would be nice too, like what we have now.

> > > It could also be all the pre-rendered cutscenes the game has as well. All of the previous Halo games used in-engine cutscenes which creates the videos on the fly, but this one actually has full video files. They can get quite large, even with compression.
> >
> > As beautiful as they are, I would have preferred they didn’t sacrifice other content.
>
> As someone else already pointed out, Halo 4 has pretty much the same amount of features as Reach. Obviously, Spartan Ops replaces Firefight. I was simply stating a possible reason for why the game is on 2 discs, not that the videos somehow caused them to omit features.

They did omit content, it is an objective fact, just look at the custom game s thread for crying out loud.

> They’ve should’ve just put the Campaign on one disc and multiplayer on the other, not some download.

They want money, and they must want to prevent offline players from giving away their multiplayer discs if that happened.

> > > > It could also be all the pre-rendered cutscenes the game has as well. All of the previous Halo games used in-engine cutscenes which creates the videos on the fly, but this one actually has full video files. They can get quite large, even with compression.
> > >
> > > As beautiful as they are, I would have preferred they didn’t sacrifice other content.
> >
> > As someone else already pointed out, Halo 4 has pretty much the same amount of features as Reach. Obviously, Spartan Ops replaces Firefight. I was simply stating a possible reason for why the game is on 2 discs, not that the videos somehow caused them to omit features.
>
> They did omit content, it is an objective fact, just look at the custom game s thread for crying out loud.

Yes, but that’s not because of the cutscenes they added.

Where is the thread? I will read it.

> Just to compare the overall content between Halo: Reach and Halo 4
>
> Halo: Reach had a campaign, firefight, theater, forge, and 3 DLC map packs.
>
> Halo 4 has a campaign, spartan ops, theater, forge, and so far 3 DLC map packs.
>
> Note: I understand were specifically referring to how much content per disc: It could very well be the graphics, it could be anything.

Halo 4 is double the size of most games. Most 360 games are 8GB. Halo 4 is 16GB. I highly doubt Halo 4’s graphics take up enough to constitute two full discs. I’d say Spartan Ops had a large involvement in the size of the multiplayer, but Halo 4’s campaign alone takes up an entire disc. I’d say that they just had a lot of others things there that not many notice. That’s probably one of the reasons for less gametypes, no elites, less vehicles etc.

Well, you gotta make it prettier right? Because it MUST LOOK BETTER. /sarcasm Seriously, it doesn’t even run well. At my next LAN party, Halo 4 will not be featured. Why? Not because the game is horrible, (which in my opinion it is) but because its so “well made” that split screen is nearly unusable and garbage. If they tested this game, I would fire their testers for this alone.