Halo 4 Reviews; Goodbye "Vanilla" Gameplay

Okay, so with so many other websites out there seemingly riding Microsoft’s and 343i’s wang over the latest release, Halo 4, I feel it would be best for someone who isn’t a paid journalist (most are terrible at the game and their opinions don’t count anyway) or a casual gamer to write a review. I don’t consider myself to be a ‘pro’ like the people over at MLG, yet I am definitely something more then a casual gamer who has been playing online since the end of Halo 2 and invested what some would consider a ludicrous amount of time in Halo 3 and Reach (5k in H3 and a few hundred in Reach). Firstly the Halo experience, which has been tarnished recently thanks to Reach, is one like none other. “Vanilla” gameplay is king when it comes to competitive game play and is an area Bungie excelled in before the abysmal addition of Reach and I feel as if the latest addition to the series is somewhat of a backwards step again. Here’s why.

1 - Armour abilities. Again Halo is renowned for an even playing field, we all spawn the same and fight for map control and weapon control, with the more skillful and experienced team proving to be victors. Armour abilities add a bunch of randomness to the sandbox. Why should someone be able to see through walls? It’s something that’s almost completely uncounterable unless your crouch walking with active camo. If your crouch walking with active camo, why are you even playing halo?

2 - Loadouts. Again, complete randomness to the sandbox. It’s entirely the opposite of vanilla gameplay to have everyone in a game spawn with a different weapon.

3 - Tactical Packages/enhancement things- Again complete randomness to the sandbox. And why do i have to have a resupply perk to pick up grenades? This isn’t call of duty.

4 - Medals - One of the most satisfying parts of halo game-play was being able to track your medals online and feel as if you’ve accomplished something in game. Now we receive medals for generic kills. What’s the point of even having a medal system for ordnance drops then? Why not just make it a kill streak and call it what it is.

5- Ordnance drops - Complete BS, this ain’t call of duty, removes any need for map control weapon control.

6 - Waypoints for weapon drops - Why? This takes out any need to learn a map. Casual friendly.

7 - Join in progress - It’s a problem because now lobbies of KOTH will load with 9/10 people and one side will be severely disadvantaged, as usually they can’t find one extra player to add in.

Listen, this game has only been developed with the casual gamer in mind, I know a ranking system is coming out soon but who wants to be a 50 in a game built for casuals, with no hardcore/vanilla elements. And don’t tell me to stick to Slayer Pro, it was built as an afterthought obviously, because I still like to play competitive games of CTF or Oddball. Having only one playlist of just generic slayer for you hardcore/vanilla gamers shows how much we mean to the community. Plus this will show in the long run 343. The gamers you built this game for are going to be returning there copies of halo 4 for BLOPS 2, or leaving within a 12 month period just like in Halo Reach. We are the fan base that will stick around playing for this game for along time to come. Anyway you’ll find me in halo 3 matchmaking at least for another few weeks until the first patch comes out and new playlists are added.

Ciao.

When OP says “review”, he simply means “yet another whine fest”. Halo 4 is new, it’s different. Get over it… it’s finally good again.

+1 op

Im starting to think that the Halo community is made up entirely of people who suck at Call of Duty.

If something is good again wouldn’t that insinuate it was good to begin with and bad in the middle? But the new isn’t anything like the old? How come something be good again if it’s completely different to the old? i guess you didn’t like Reach then? But Halo 4 is almost the same as Reach? Your post makes no sense.

I agree with a few points, mainly the perks and weapon drops.

entire review about MP

YEP…USELESS

> If something is good again wouldn’t that insinuate it was good to begin with and bad in the middle? But the new isn’t anything like the old? How come something be good again if it’s completely different to the old? i guess you didn’t like Reach then? But Halo 4 is almost the same as Reach? Your post makes no sense.

My post makes absolute sense. Yes Halo was good… then it became stale and slow, now it is fun, fast and competitive again. It doesn’t have to be like the old to be good :confused: I happen to like change and variation between games I play.

I can’t believe you actually asked “how can something be good if it’s different to the old”…

Lol, bro come on what else are we going to review? the graphics are sweet and all the campaign was good, like all other halo games of their generations.

> Lol, bro come on what else are we going to review? the graphics are sweet and all the campaign was good, like all other halo games of their generations.

MP is essentially useless to me in all ways shapes and forms. I find it as useless as virtual paint balling and as boring as watching WNBA…that goes for ANY MP

so yeah I only reviewed campaign and spartan ops

Hey dropz I hate to mention it but you talk about how much you hate MP in almost every post you make on waypoint.

A review is supposed to be an objective look at the game and what it has done right and wrong.

You have written problems you perceive with the game, not a review. It’s things like this which make reviews so unreliable and useless most of the time. If you think before writing the review ‘This game sucks, I need to tell people’ or something similar, stop.

Do not write that ‘review’, because you haven’t even tried to be objective. Most of your arguments don’t make sense anyway and are you complaining about change. Which I don’t feel like correcting you on.

Because that’s not my point. My point is that you haven’t written a review so don’t try and claim that you have.

An ideal review would be written by an objective person with some experience with Halo but only enough to understand the feel of the game. Not a fan and not a hater. Sure journalists can be paid off but that doesn’t mean they ALL are.

And that’s still more objective than a bitter fanboy.

Ordinance drops are a brilliant thing. They change the way map is played. If there is a good drop - you will go to get it, but so will enemy players. It stops people camping at a certain area waiting for the weapon where you know it will spawn.

My review is just as objective if not more so then any other on the internet. I scroll through a list of reviews and i all hear is “HALO 4 LOL NOOBS 343 IS AWSUM WE GETS MONEY!!” so objective.

> Hey dropz I hate to mention it but you talk about how much you hate MP in almost every post you make on waypoint.

you missunderstand me then. See Indo not hate MP as in “I hate halo 4’s mp”…I hate MP as in “I hate any and all MP from GoW to COD to Halo to GaW and so on”. Now, that is because I play the games I play for their production value, their narrative, the technological advancements and so on.

I do underline the fact I hate MP and find it useless when I see a thread like this that basically says “ZOMG mp is not what I wanted it to be…WORST HALO EVER” to emphasize the fact that the competitive/noncompetitive MP experience is not the sole driving force of Halo games. But you do not see me criticizing 343 for their choices choices in regard to the MP now do you? Like I would not have complained about Mass Effect’s GAW multiplayer IF it did not negatively effect the single player experience or questioned Bioware’s choices in how to balance it or state that it tuned the game solely because it was not a GoW pvp clone

I am not sure I am verbalizing my feelings right tho

Two words, OP: Slayer Pro! Most of your worries will be solved :wink:

All games are developed for the casual gamer for the simple reason that the vast majority of the people who purchase and play the games are casual gamers. You’re not going to find too many developers who cater to a small percentage elitists who think they should be catered to.

Actually saw a guy yesterday trying to argue that one of the games “flaws” was that it was now “fun for everybody”.

This line of thinking is naive at best.

I stopped playing Slayer when this one guy I ran into kept on using the regenerator field every time his shields almost popped, basically I couldn’t kill him unless I had rockets or a shortie…which I didn’t.

I now play Slayer Pro exclusively and eagerly await the MLG playlist.

Most points he pointed out, I agree with.

Herp derp you are stuck in the past OP.

Is what I would have said if Halo 4 was semi-decent.

I think OP is only giving his opinion on multiplayer here and I completely understand his frustrations. The only part I wouldn’t agree with is Reach. I actually liked that game. It was Halo with AA’s and a DMR. Multiplayer still felt like Halo.

Halo 4 is a completely different beast. They looked at other games and tried to fit in aspects from those other games. It’s obvious what other game that was looked at the most. I think it’s a mistake trying to make a one-size fits all game and it’s a disappointing to the true fans. It’s a move you would expect a big developer to make, like EA games. A lot of people love this game, but it’s no longer Halo. Multiplayer actually feels more like that other game than it does Halo right now.